If Super Dimension Fortress Macross never changed into R.....

Invid99

If the show kept the storyline from SDFM pretty much the same, except for the japanese character names changed into english, no Mospeada & Southern Cross involvement and the title is Starship Macross. Would the show have appealed to western audience like ''R'' show did?

Edited by Invid99

30 minutes ago, Invid99 said:

If the show kept the storyline from SDFM pretty much the same, except for the japanese character names changed into english, no Mospeada & Southern Cross involvement and the title is Starship Macross. Would the show have appealed to western audience like ''R'' show did?

It's the only part of that other show that its fans actually like... so probably.

But @Einherjaris right, this really isn't a place where discussion of The Show That Must Not Be Named is welcomed.

37 minutes ago, Invid99 said:

That kinda *is* what they planned before the whole thing with Revell happened...

There are some other aspects of the American series that can't be helped:

- The dialogues lost their subtielty and deliver a completely different message sometimes:

- The narrator explaining what's happening on the screen like we are too stupid to get it ourselves. One of the worst offenders is that dead Zentraedi with Minmay doll scene (episode 29 iirc)

- The music. Taking the iconic soundtrack and replacing it with some generic tunes is unexcusable, considering that this wasn't even required for the adaptation, unlike other stuff they changed. Macross is not Macross without Dogfighter:

- The songs. Same as above, although they had to be at least translated. I appreciate Japanese bubble era city pop and listening to Reba West crap is just unbearable. We Will Win, while being a bad song by itself, also undermines Macross message (love above war).

If we are unable to get rid of HG completely, I wish that at least with the new agreement they stop insisting that the original SDFM should not exist outside of Japan. HG should bury their own adaptation instead.

Edited by uzernaem

If Robotech had followed the format it was supposed to we would have gotten a lot of mecha shows brought over to US shore much sooner.
BTW the original plan for Robotech was much like the old Shogun Warriors on Showtime.  Robotech would have been the banner that all the shows were released under.  All totally unconnected beyond featuring different Mecha Anime.  So, if HG had followed that plan we could have potentially seen the following:

Robotech Annual Releases

1984:  SDFM, SDCSC, GCM
1985:  Votoms, MS Gundam, Macross DYRL (theatrical release)
1986:  God Mars, Go Shogun
1987: SPT Laznyr, L-Gaim, Dunbine

And so on.  Basically they would have become Manga Entertainment before Manga became a thing.

At that point, I'm sure the various anime houses, and even BW itself would take notice and start pushing for more, possibly even more Macross earlier.

10 hours ago, Knight26 said:

Robotech would have been the banner that all the shows were released under.

Haven't heard that before, is there a source?

On another note, I feel like there's some wasted talent in RT (such as at least most of the background music, and I definitely like some of the English voices over the ADV dub, I feel like they'd do even better with a script closer to SDFM)

Controversial opinion: I do not hate that show on it's own. It managed to introduce us to Macross after all, and hadn't it been for the stupid 65 episode syndication rule it wouldn't have even existed. And considering it's a hackjob, it's better than some of the later attempts to localize anime in the 90s. However, I do hate the parasites within HG for what they attemped to do with the Macross franchise and how they were just that grubby to actually try to claim the entire damn franchise as their own. 

Edited by Biomaster

6 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Haven't heard that before, is there a source?

On another note, I feel like there's some wasted talent in RT (such as at least most of the background music, and I definitely like some of the English voices over the ADV dub, I feel like they'd do even better with a script closer to SDFM)

Would have to look it up, but as Biomaster stated, to get it into syndication, was that they needed minimum episode count and each show individually did not meet that.

Thing is, had HG properly sold the idea of it being more of an anthology series (harder to do at the time) then their original plan of using "Robotech" as a platform to regionalize and syndicate mecha anime in the US then we likely never would have had the animosity towards HG and Robotech in general.  People would just see HG/Robotech in the same light that we see Manga or Funimation, as the US distributor of the various properties, taking a bit off the top of every imported piece of merch as well.

On 6/2/2021 at 12:38 AM, uzernaem said:

- The music. Taking the iconic soundtrack and replacing it with some generic tunes is unexcusable, considering that this wasn't even required for the adaptation, unlike other stuff they changed. Macross is not Macross without Dogfighter:

If this was meant as a problem with RT it is one of the few instances where I agree with their having done what they did.  The three shows had completely different music and needed to have a unified score (really too bad they did not have the money to make the animation match...).  That would not have been needed if each show was done as their own under an umbrella name.

30 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

That would not have been needed if each show was done as their own under an umbrella name.

Yeah, and HG was clearly able to get the master audio tracks without voices, as seen in their Boobytrap dub tape and their Mospeada test dub