Lego Valkyrie

flippant_remark

Hi all,

Back when the Robotech TV series was new, a friend of my brothers, who was a genius with Technical Lego, built a fully transformable Lego Valkyrie which stood about 18" tall.

I was damn impressed.

Has anyone here tried something similar?

You have an interesting username.

Boy how I wish I had a digicam.. I have a project that's been in the making for close to three years now.. if my guesstimates are correct, it's about 1/18th scale. Barely fits in my closet. It's a fully transformable DYRL VF-1S in the making, and it's nearly three feet long. Weighs a ton though, and if it ever gets finished, it'll probably never be able to stand on it's feet. Shoot, the arms are so heavy, it's a struggle just to keep them supporting their OWN weight, let alone a gunpod. The whole thing is rigged up though, based on the 1/60th transformation,arms are fully articulated (down to the last knuckle :)) and you have to mount the legs on the nose.. .if there were legs that is. I ran out of decent parts right after finishing the arms, and now I'm waiting for Lego to invent a hinge piece that can support about 10 lbs of weight. I gave up on retractable landing gear long ago... the axles would snap in half. :rolleyes:

Boy how I wish I had a digicam.. I have a project that's been in the making for close to three years now.. if my guesstimates are correct, it's about 1/18th scale.

Ahahaha!

:lol::lol::lol:

(Go here if you don't get it...)

LMAO :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks. That brightened my day.

Hi all,

Back when the Robotech TV series was new, a friend of my brothers, who was a genius with Technical Lego, built a fully transformable Lego Valkyrie which stood about 18" tall.

I was damn impressed.

Has anyone here tried something similar?

You have an interesting username.

says the man with a doorknob named barbarella???

Behold!

A Lego Valkyrie, it comes with instructions and parts for you to purchase.

OMG, did anybody see this???? This is sick, WOW. Those are nice valks! and the are... for sale???

Interesting........very interesting......... . . .

ViC!

Those are cool indeed! :o:D

I don't know the guy's real name, but he goes by Glagla on Brickshelf, and I'm fairly certain he's Japanese. If you go up gallery from that link you'll see his other stuff, including a micro scale transforming Koenig Monster. He's probably the best LEGO robot builder ever. I'd kill for instructions to his Patlabor Ingram.

Last one... hehe.. and you thought the 1/48th's backpack hinge had stress on it.

(No faceplate seam here, either. ;))

Anyway, yeah, I'm through showing off now. Only really bad thing about this is the weight. If legos were strong enough to make more of the fuselage hollow, it'd have a much better chance of standing on it's own feet. As it is, the legs may have to be solid bricks, and the feet interchangable, unless lego can come up with a hinge that'll hold 5+ lbs of pressure.

post-4-1074331695_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal

The hands are completely bendable, since every finger segment is made with one of those new clicky joints. The arms also rotate in four ways, thanks to a complex gearing mechanism. The arms basically have the same posability as the 1/48th, except they're too heavy to pose much. :p

I suggest you take a look at this guys joint design techniques.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Klaupacius/Le...ndam%20Tech%201

Form here:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Klaupacius/Le...l#Dark%20Gundam

Hope it helps.

Actually, that was my main resource for building the joints on this. I used the same types of gear construction, but unfortunately, most of his joint designs, while VERY strong, are too bulky to be practical for what I need. I was able to use the same basic worm gear joint setup, but to make it transform, the joints had to be much more compact, and I wasn't able to add as much support to each joint. They do hold up on their own pretty well, but there is some play in the worm gears that I'm not able to fix, and it makes the arms a little loose.

My dream is to build something as complex as those Gundam models, but as of yet, I don't have enough parts. I've got plenty of pieces, but I never got into Technic sets enough to collect enough pieces to do that sort of inner construction framework. There may yet be an answer for the legs, but it will require me collecting a lot of very rare pieces that only come in the more expensive sets. The new leg joints developed for the AT-AT set may be strong enough, but it'll likely take 3+ per leg joint (times 4 leg joints, not counting feet, etc.) before I'll have enough tension to hold the thing up.

ive got one of the foundrydx versions

and i have to say that they look even better in person

i reccomend it to anyone

J.J.

I think it's called L-Draw, basically a Lego-based CAD program. I never could get it working quite right, and the process of building stuff seemed a little annoying.. you had to select the parts by a part number, which would be a pain.. I probably had an older version though.

The only really bad thing about lego CAD is that you don't really know how well something will work, or if it will even stay together. Some things I've seen built in L-Draw would never stand up under their own weight. :rolleyes: