Transformers Animated - Your Thoughts

It's a great show on its own, but it quickly soars into 'excellent' territory if you're a G1 fan, jam packed as it is with nods to the original show and characters. I wish we'd gotten at least two more seasons. Like Beast Wars, very character driven...and the characters all have "character", thanks to the writers/awesome voice actors who brought them to life.

The look of the show had a lot of folks offput, being very cartoony and stylishly animated. I was one of the beginning offputters, but once I started watching it regularly, Derek's designs really complemented the tone, and I grew to love them. Moreover, Takara did a fantastic job translating their toon look into toys; my collection remains on constant display. In truth, I wish more characters would have received the Animated treatment in toy form. C'mon third parties.

It's tied with Beast Wars for best series ever. Great story and characters. A lot of people are put off by the human villans but I think it's great to see something different and have a laugh. I'm slowly collecting all the toys. Some of the best transformers designs are in that line. I wish we'd got a supreme class Omega Supreme. It would have been great. It's a shame the toys and cartoon got cut short because of the movie.

Seconded on that Omega Supreme toy. I've never understood the allure of the original G1 toy..serious partsformer that always looked like crap to me. The Animated Ark Omega was a great design, and looked good in both modes, while still retaining the G1 head design with the cannon. It would have been an awesome toy.

It was very obviously made with love and respect for the original G1 series, while also introducing some unique spins on the characters that had a lasting impact on the franchise as a whole. Literally every single character was memorable and contributed to the story. By all means give it a watch if you have not yet.

You know, all of my favorite shows ended abruptly with not a whole lot of resolution.

Where does it fit in the overall timeline? Could it be considered a sequel to the original series? Or is it kind of a "reboot" universe?

Incidentally, I'm really liking the G1 Retelling video games so far, (War/Fall of Cybertron/Cybertron Adventures).

It's a different story, so I would say that it was more of a reboot than a sequel. And it has its own timeline. It might be better to think of it as an alternate or parallel universe. The writers did some risky things with a few characters that really paid off later on in the show. Animated is definitely up there in my top three.

Jack Darby > Sari.

Just sayin'.

But SPOILER is still correct! :p

Not to mention it also contained the biggest jerk the TF franchise has ever known: Sentinel Prime.

Who seriously didn't want to punch him in that massive chin of his?

Oh, we all wanted to punch Sentinel in his massive chin. We were supposed to, of course.

But on the other hand, Sentinel never ordered a team of autobots be buried alive because they were stupid. So... eh, the jerk scale is a little variable.

But SPOILER is still correct! :p

This is true.

Oh, we all wanted to punch Sentinel in his massive chin. We were supposed to, of course.

But on the other hand, Sentinel never ordered a team of autobots be buried alive because they were stupid. So... eh, the jerk scale is a little variable.

Yeah, it's kind of funny how all of us who grew up on G1 remember Optimus, perhaps mostly from the animated movie, as a heroic paragon of virtue, while overlooking how often he was a dick in the show.

I blame Wheeljack.

Let's not forget that Animated brought two new TF characters onto the stage, Bulkhead and Lugnut. I especially like Lugnut and his fist of doom.

Does anyone know if there was any post-show continuity in the comics? As Valkyrie Hunter D mentioned, they kinda left us hanging. The guys who did Avatar: The Last Airbender produced two excellent graphic novels to provide additional post-show information & adventure; I'd be thrilled if Marty Isenberg and co. produced a similar book(s) to extend the series a bit.

I'd also love the same for the 2011 Thundercats show. It was hitting its stride, and then got canxed by Cartoon Network, most likely due to poor toy sales. My wife and I really liked the show, though.