areaseven

Best Japanese Live-Action Show of 2003  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Best Japanese Live-Action Show of 2003

• Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger
    • Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon
    • Chouseishin GranSazer
    • Kamen Rider 555

2003 was a good year for tokusatsu (special effects) shows in Japan. After Kamen Rider Ryuki ended with a bang, Toei and TV Asahi followed it up with Kamen Rider 555, which recently generated a theatrical follow-up. Toei's sentai franchise continued to stay strong with Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger, which will be licensed next year by Saban as the next Power Rangers series.

But perhaps the two biggest surprises were Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon and Chouseishin GranSazer. Many people were worried that the Sailor Moon franchise would be destroyed by a disastrous live-action adaptation, but surprisingly, the new show turned out pretty good. Fans and non-fans in Japan and online have picked up the series and followed it religiously, and new Sailor Moon merchandise have sold out everywhere. Will this series see a U.S. release? Only time will tell.

Videogame giant Konami - along with TV Tokyo - decided to start a new sentai war with their new show Chouseishin GranSazer. Despite a very lackluster start, GranSazer managed to pick up the pace with its non-stop kung-fu action and off-the-wall special effects. Proof that Konami can hang with Toei, Toho and Tsuburaya when it comes to tokusatsu.

Of all these titles, which did you think was the best of 2003?

I'll vote for the sketch comedy show "Wararu Inu" (laughing Dog) currently running in southern california on KSCI (18), wednesday nights, 11:40 PM-12:30 AM.

No subtitles, but better than any american sketch comedy show I've seen since in living color.

I'll vote for the sketch comedy show "Wararu Inu" (laughing Dog) currently running in southern california on KSCI (18), wednesday nights, 11:40 PM-12:30 AM.

No subtitles, but better than any american sketch comedy show I've seen since in living color.

I started to read, then I saw the title and realized...

*(internal voice) NO! You aren't supposed to listen, look at the member title.*

at least you caught it in time! :p

Hmm, despite Gransazer having all those cool fight scenes etc. I still can't make myself like Sentai and its wackiness. Perhaps if they made things like Kamen Rider more i.e. less crazy 'hand action' poses, then I'd like it more. It just takes away the seriousness of the setting, lol. Nevertheless, I voted for Faiz because of various reasons around it. Odd designs that grow on you, nice semi-dark setting, and pretty good characters. It has some stupid moments that I couldn't stand, but overall, I love it.

Do you ever pull that stick out of your ass?

Are you talking!? I can't tell... The member title tells me to not to listen. Oh well.

Are you talking!? I can't tell... The member title tells me to not to listen. Oh well.

That's no member title, that's my name bitch, and it's too bad it doesn't tell you to eat me.

Resolution for 2004: Never take anything said by ANYBODY over the Internet seriously..... Not that I don't do that every year.

Anyways, I like the Sailor Moon Live Action series. If only for a good laugh.

PS: Disney is the main rights holder of all things Power Rangers since they bought Saban in 2001.

That's no member title, that's my name bitch, and it's too bad it doesn't tell you to eat me.

Uhh... Keith.... Are you looking at what it says beneath your member name?

Well who the frakk put that there?

Stop swearing and Stop getting Off topic!

This is for voting Best Japanese Live-Action Show of 2003.

I voted for Kamen Rider 555. It is better than the last one...

Well who the f**k put that there?

Watch your language please Sunshine. A mod put that there.

Anyway....back on topic, I liked Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. Geez...was that a laugh, plus they got some nice chicks to look at too. ;)

Edited by kensei

Probably someone who made the mistake of listening to you in the past.

Luckily no one's ever made that mistake with you.

Anyways.....

Kamen Rider 555 is probably the best. Abaranger is alright for this year's sentai series. It's average from what I've seen. Sailor Moon.....ummm...haven't seen it. :) Gransazer....very flashy. When all 4 groups are together and everything is fleshed out in the series, then I'll get back to you.

Luckily no one's ever made that mistake with you.

CROM laughs at your cryings to the mods!