2 new Variable Fighter Master File books: VF-22 and VF-1 Squadrons

cool8or

I'm more disappointed that they didn't even make an attempt to give information on the VF-22's gun pods... this book is depressingly light on useful trivia. Lovely art, but with so few variants of the VF-22 out there in Macross proper, you'd think they could've spared more thought for the details.

Kind of odd, isn't it? The Valk with the least number of variations has a book with no additional Valk filler and they still managed to completely skimp on a lot of areas. Not that that portion matters to me as much considering I can't read it anyway. There are some pretty fighter pics though.

Kind of odd, isn't it? The Valk with the least number of variations has a book with no additional Valk filler and they still managed to completely skimp on a lot of areas. Not that that portion matters to me as much considering I can't read it anyway. There are some pretty fighter pics though.

If anything, Mr March seems more miffed about it than I am... he was really hoping we'd get some clarity on the VF-22's gun pods and other hard details.

It's weird that they felt compelled to invent a bunch of new, bizarre variants for this when they didn't even cover one of the official variants that existed in the time period... YF-21-1, YF-21-2, VF-22, and VF-22S, but no VF-22HG?

Maybe the VFMF writers couldn't get permission from the people behind MtR?

The other possibility is that the VF-22HG was an aircraft produced under licence with unofficial modifications (if memory serves, it was a test bed for some of the new technologies that went into the VF-27). So, as a top secret fighter (even the VF-27's existence wasn't wildly disseminated before the events of MF), it makes sense that it wouldn't show up in the VF-22 book (given that they're written from an in-universe perspective - and this one in particular, by writers on Planet Eden).

Maybe the VFMF writers couldn't get permission from the people behind MtR?

The other possibility is that the VF-22HG was an aircraft produced under licence with unofficial modifications (if memory serves, it was a test bed for some of the new technologies that went into the VF-27). So, as a top secret fighter (even the VF-27's existence wasn't wildly disseminated before the events of MF), it makes sense that it wouldn't show up in the VF-22 book (given that they're written from an in-universe perspective - and this one in particular, by writers on Planet Eden).

Good explanation why it wouldn't be in there then. At least, it makes a great scape-goat for the Master File writers. lol

I guess I never saw that version in MtR. What sorts of stuff for the 27 were tested on it?

This is as good a place to ask as any, does anyone else have issues with the VF22s Gerwalk form? The thrust exhaust is in the farthest back part of the body, and nearly all the weight is in front of the thrust vectoring outlets, there's no way it can center its mass on the exhaust column.

With all the other VFs with leg mounted engines, when the legs are under the center of the body they at least looks balanced.

image borrowed from M3:

vf-22-gerwalk-multipleviews.gif

Yes, I've seen the picture, but the weight of the fighter is not balanced on top of the thrust column.

Nearly all the weight is in front of the exhaust. Look at the real-life Harrier, the engine is in the center of the plane, not the tail.

Edited by Andras

No. Those "vent" like things are panels like Venetian blinds that rotate open as the engine assembly slides forward when transforming.

They have nothing to do with the engines or thrust that comes out of the engines - as the engines are located directly above and behind those slats.

I have a question for those with the talent for reading Japanese (my attempts at accelerated learning are NOT working.) Somewhere between page 70 and 75 (looks like 72, really) they seem to cover the internal systems they use to explain how the wings can flex. I was wondering what the explanation actually is.

I love the crazy original variantions they come up for in these books. I love the YVF-22SA, the Beam gun boosters and the alternate face design. the swing wing design is just plain crazy but cool. BTW, think about the YVF-22E and where the cockpit bulges will end up in battroid mode. VF-22 MAXL II anybody?

• 3 weeks later...

The oddest weapon would be the stealth micro-missiles (!). On the other hand, there are some large missiles with fold out forward-swept wings that are very reminiscent of the discarded idea for micro-missile loaded cruise missiles in Macross Zero (does it need to be mentioned that they're stealthy?).

Can you post pictures of these and other weapons from the book?