Got mine today. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of detail on the head. There is no molding, just an orb painted brown except for the eye shapes. Pretty lame considering the detail of the rest of the figure and price tag.

It's accurate, though. It would be odd having something there that wasn't modeled after Olson's Orguss.

http://www.gearsonline.net/series/orguss/mecha/emaan/orguss/olsonspecial.html

When I think of his Orguss, which appeared later in the series, I think of a mecha with a streamlined, insect-like head beneath the visor/canopy. It's one of the notable differences between his and Kei's. If MegHouse does a mass produced Orguss II, it should also have its own unique features and head sculpt too.

Edited by technoblue

What I mean is that it would have been nicer to have the head molded in color as a separate piece and then have the eye visors molded in the clear red and inserted inside the head and protruding through the eye holes. Then at least they would have the 3D depth contour like the Takatoku.

What I mean is that it would have been nicer to have the head molded in color as a separate piece and then have the eye visors molded in the clear red and inserted inside the head and protruding through the eye holes. Then at least they would have the 3D depth contour like the Takatoku.

I imagine that's not how it is on the Olson figure, yes. But that would be cool to have since the head itself is so simple. ;)

For some reason, I can't find any photos online of this one together with Kei's for comparison. In other words, I can't wait for mine to arrive to compare how it looks together. Hehehe. :lol:

Edited by no3Ljm

Weird. Megahouse went to the trouble of making the helmet/cowl/thingy transparent red but then just painted the eyes on? They reversed it from the Takatoku -I always thought the helmet/cowl visor on the Takatoku looked cheap just painted on.

Weird. Megahouse went to the trouble of making the helmet/cowl/thingy transparent red but then just painted the eyes on? They reversed it from the Takatoku -I always thought the helmet/cowl visor on the Takatoku looked cheap just painted on.

Does this one look painted to you?

3-30.jpg

5-22.jpg

VARIABLE_ACTION_ORGUSS_II_OLSON_SPECIAL_

CU5QeA9UkAEJJwT.jpg

CU5Qd_uVEAAPtlU.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm

Opposite of that. The head is all one piece of transparent red plastic and they painted the brown on, leaving the eye shapes unpainted.

Yikes! Really? Now I'm going to react too. Thought the eye is a separate plastic. So what you explained is more clearer now what to expect on this release. Boo Megahouse! Boo! :aggressive:

But that doesn't stop me from buying if they will release a Orguss CF. :rolleyes:

Opposite of that. The head is all one piece of transparent red plastic and they painted the brown on, leaving the eye shapes unpainted.

Ok. I got mine today and had the time to inspect it this evening. And I have to say, looks like I'm confirming what glane21 said about the head. It would've been nice if the eyes are separate plastic and potrude a little bit more to have that separation. But atleast the eyes are not painted though. ;)

Oh, and be careful of those whiskers antennae. They're fragile and it doesn't come with extras. :)

LoL! I like that--whisker antennae. I mentioned it before and I think I get what MH was trying to do with them since they tuck in, but I wish they were more substantial or had replacements you could swap out like with Bandai's DX Valkyries.

I'm naturally skeptical, but I took another look at the head too. ;) I have to admit, it appears that the head canopy and the head itself have pieces of translucent red plastic that are painted over in layers. But that works for me, even at this price range. Like I said in my initial review last week, it gives off a nice effect, and reminds me of light piping actually.

The head itself is on a hinge joint and can do up and down, side to side movements so I couldn't really peak underneath and I don't have a little mirror on hand. There is a visible seam which leads me to believe that it is two pieces put together as one. There are flat molded spots on the side and the crown, so to me it isn't a perfect orb which is why I described it as insect-like.

Anyway, I guess we've analyzed that piece to death. :5:

Edited by technoblue

And that's just the head. We're still not discussing the 'wrong blue' here. Hahaha! :lol:

By the way, the good thing with the color they used is that when it displayed with the Macross Valks esp the ones with the Strike/Super Parts is that it blends very well color-wise. Including also the VF-2SS. ^_^

Wow, the Olsen is Y26,870 at Amiami, cheaper than the preorder price by nearly $30 USD...

Damaged boxes I guess?

Yup. It says on top of the product name - '(New Item w/ Box Damage)'.

Hey technoblue. Did you notice that the thigh part for Olson is plastic rather than diecast metal like the one foe Kei's? But I prefer the mold for Olson's since it hides the seam lines than Kei's.

Yup. It says on top of the product name - '(New Item w/ Box Damage)'.

Hey technoblue. Did you notice that the thigh part for Olson is plastic rather than diecast metal like the one foe Kei's? But I prefer the mold for Olson's since it hides the seam lines than Kei's.

Cool! That may be one reason why the legs on Olson's Orguss do a better job holding poses. But no, I didn't notice the diecast on my own. I haven't been able to sit down and compare the two releases side-by-side, although I would like to soon.

Just got back in town and picked this up at the post office. Haven't transformed it yet but I'm realily happy with the tightness of the joints so far. The ankles are a little loose but I can live with it. Wish they would make the other mechas in the show like the m-lovers and the enemy mechs...

Spent a lot of time yesterday transforming the ogroid into gerwalk mode. Not a walk in the park, but what high-end transformable toy is these days? Had trouble with tucking in the head and aligning the back of the orgroid in its gerwalk position, as well as finding the proper way to bend the knees. The good news is that the parts hold tightly through tension, although I echo the sentiment about the lack of tabs to secure parts in place.

Question: what is that attachable missile with the lens in front of it? Is that a missile, some kind of camera, or is it some type of laser weaponry? Haven't seen the anime so I can't figure out what that 'missile' is.

Spent a lot of time yesterday transforming the ogroid into gerwalk mode. Not a walk in the park, but what high-end transformable toy is these days? Had trouble with tucking in the head and aligning the back of the orgroid in its gerwalk position, as well as finding the proper way to bend the knees. The good news is that the parts hold tightly through tension, although I echo the sentiment about the lack of tabs to secure parts in place.

Question: what is that attachable missile with the lens in front of it? Is that a missile, some kind of camera, or is it some type of laser weaponry? Haven't seen the anime so I can't figure out what that 'missile' is.

Based on the Megahouse site, it's one type of the Missile Pods included as an accessory. I'm not sure what's the exact term or name for it. Though I can check the manual tonight if it says anything name-related for the armaments or just generic 'mi-sai-ru'.

Wait, are you saying it has less tabs than the Kei? I always felt that the Kei had a ton of tabs to secure with. A lot of them are retractable, are you sure you found all of 'em?

I am waiting for the re-issue later this month before I ship from my PW- thank you everyone for your info about this while I wait! :good:

Ah, so it's just a plain old missile. Darn, was hoping for a more exotic alien weapon :)

Warrhead, i don't have the Kei version but I'm sure it has the same amount. I misspoke - I meant that there's a lack of locked positions, such as the wings not locking (or lack of detentes) in place nor the shoulder pads have a locked position when in gerwalk mode. I can only speak for the gerwalk version since I haven't transformed it into flyer nor tank, but the parts seem to only be held mostly by tension. Not a huge deal. The joints are tight enough, but there's a high likelihood of bumping something out of place when you handle the figure.

• 3 weeks later...

So they pushed off the Orguss re-release until November...

Playing with my Olsen special...this toy is full of tabs...its just that they don't always line up all that well nor do they necessarily lock.

I take off the head antennae every time I transform it out of orgroid mode, I'm afraid they will bend/crease inside the back section while fiddling with transformations (it takes some work with the head/body).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Amiami has the hi-spec Olson version on sale.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-018271&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_keywords%3Dorguss%24pagemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

To get or not to get?! LOL! What's everyones thoughts on the hi-spec Orguss toys? How's the build quality and diecast content? Are all the joints on the toy friction joints or are there some ratchet joints as well?

Edited by subie81

*snip*

To get or not to get?! LOL! What's everyones thoughts on the hi-spec Orguss toys? How's the build quality and diecast content? Are all the joints on the toy friction joints or are there some ratchet joints as well?

I have both of them. And they look awesome. Build quality is superb. Better than Bandai's DX IMHO. It doesn't have a ratchet joints. But most of the joints are tight. The accordion knee joint resembles the Valkyrie ones. The only gripe I have for these figures are the price. But I'm still in if ever they decide to make the CF ones or Nikick.

Amiami has the hi-spec Olson version on sale.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-018271&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_keywords%3Dorguss%24pagemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

I have both of them. And they look awesome. Build quality is superb. Better than Bandai's DX IMHO. It doesn't have a ratchet joints. But most of the joints are tight. The accordion knee joint resembles the Valkyrie ones. The only gripe I have for these figures are the price. But I'm still in if ever they decide to make the CF ones or Nikick.

You know what?... I absolutely hate you guys... :angry: ... :p ... 8P

Thanks for your input no3Ljm. I had an Orguss toy as a kid, but I never watched the anime. I always wanted to get into it though because it's part of the Super Dimension series. Man this hobby never stops!!! SOC Voltron/Golion, Metal Build F91, Autoart Wangan Midnight z and now possibly this!!!! Man!!!!!!!!!!!

Just get it mechaninac! You know you want it!!!! ;)

You know what?... I absolutely hate you guys... :angry: ... :p ... 8P

And peace be with you too. ^_^

Thanks for your input no3Ljm. I had an Orguss toy as a kid, but I never watched the anime. I always wanted to get into it though because it's part of the Super Dimension series. Man this hobby never stops!!! SOC Voltron/Golion, Metal Build F91, Autoart Wangan Midnight z and now possibly this!!!! Man!!!!!!!!!!!

Just get it mechaninac! You know you want it!!!! ;)

You're welcome sir. And hope it helps in making your decision TO BUY. ;)