Yamato defunct?

spareparts

Hello all, I am new to the Macross collector's world. I say new because I have found a line I think is totally cool: the 1/48 Yamato line of valks. I bought an Elint Seeker several years ago, but wasn't really impressed with it. I thought that was all there was, the smaller scale valks. I had a Jetfire transformer back in the 80's, so that had been my gold standard on valks up until recently, when I saw the 1/48 Yamato Woodland and had to have it. So begins my saga. My question to the forum at large, is Yamato defunct? Can we ever expect to see the wonderful 1/48 valks produced again? At a reasonable price? I am dismayed at the outrageous prices these valks are commanding. I'm sure this question has been asked time and again, but if someone could nicely summarize for me the known facts regarding Yamato and 1/48 valks, I'd surely be grateful!

1/48s were released in around 2007. Even then it had limited releases. Yes, Yamato no longer exists. They're under a new name Arcadia now.

Yamato after their release of the V2 1/60s, no longer revisited their 1/48 line. The new company Arcadia is bound to follow the same 1/60 line. There's probably little chance that the 1/48 will come back into existence other than those you find in the aftermarket. It's also been said that if a new 1/48 is to come out, it'll cost way more than the current 1/60s that are being rolled out now which are already at about $150+ per valk as compared to Yamato's V2 VF-1s that cost around $100+.

So to make it short, I doubt we'll see anymore 1/48s, even if we did, it'll be quite expensive. All you have is the ones in the aftermarket. Try to check out Mandarake. It occassionally has decent priced 1/48s around. Also, you can try looking at the For Sale section of this forum. A few pop up there once in a while and I think there are a few that are still on sale.

Editted prices.

Edited by Falcon18

You can buy 1/48 Valkyries used off places like Amazon and ebay. Going rates aren't all that terrible, though some of the rare, more limited variants you've described in your post are probably really hard to find and are expensive. But ask around.

[...] It's also been said that if a new 1/48 is to come out, it'll cost way more than the current 1/60s that are being rolled out now which are already at about $200+- per valk as compared to Yamato's V2 VF-1s that cost around $100-150. [...]

Sorry for being OT but if you're paying $200+- per Arcadia VF-1 I think you shouldn't, they're still available for cheaper.

Lol. My bad.. I know they're definitely available for much cheaper than that now still. Probably was thinking abt SGD and tried to make a very rough estimate in USD when I wrote that post. =P Now I realise that it shda been about 150+-. Editted.

I figured they basically are the same. I thought most of the Yamato employees went over to Arcadia as well?

Besides, those company names are no coincidence :)

Edited by xrentonx

Not sure where you heard that, but it isn't the case. Many many of the staff are from Yamato. They are much closer to being Yamato under a new name than a new company.

Arcadia are neither Yamato under a new name or a new company.

It's an old company who took some unemployed people under their wing and bought some old Yamato molds.

I don't think that's the most accurate interpretation. While Arcadia existed prior to Yamato's demise, it was hardly an old established toy company. While this is speculation, it seems like it was a pet project of a Yamato executive who saw the writing on the wall. When Yamato then folded he bought the Yamato molds and hired the employees he liked/could afford. Arcadia had what, like two items (naked girl statues) in its name before Yamato folded?

I don't think that's the most accurate interpretation. While Arcadia existed prior to Yamato's demise, it was hardly an old established toy company. While this is speculation, it seems like it was a pet project of a Yamato executive who saw the writing on the wall. When Yamato then folded he bought the Yamato molds and hired the employees he liked/could afford. Arcadia had what, like two items (naked girl statues) in its name before Yamato folded?

Ok, I stand corrected and naked girl statues should be highly profitable towards a male demographic. :D

Edited by YF-29 Durandal

Anyone know why Yamato folded? They have established quite an impressive line of Macross toys and overseas sales didn't seem weak. Poor Japan inland sales? Or some other reason?

Apparently they had been downsizing their head office some years back so they probably has some difficulties in generating a steady profit.

Anyone know why Yamato folded? They have established quite an impressive line of Macross toys and overseas sales didn't seem weak. Poor Japan inland sales? Or some other reason?

Just a guess but too many expensive robots, not enough naked girl statues/dolls? :unsure:

Arcadia had what, like two items (naked girl statues) in its name before Yamato folded?

Yes, and both of those were originally announced under Yamato before going to pre-oder under the Arcadia banner.

It was never confirmed why Yamato went bankrupt, they also sold a lot of figurines and statues worth more than Macross valks.

We only speculated on how over saturation of an expensive niche product was not all that good for business. Althought, many companies do something similar as a restructuring to improve business with a clean slate before the loses are too big.