I saw it last night with my wife, I was worried that she wouldn't get it. She only had a fleeting childhood experience with Lego. But she loved it and got most of the in jokes. She has also been singing the theme tune almost nonstop since.

I really liked it. Made me come home and get out my Lego Space from the attic and build up some sets. The best part of thirty years stored in a purpose built wooden case has been kind to them.

I intend to build up all my sets to see what bit are missing and then buy those bits to complete them.

I gusse the marketing department at Lego intended all us 70's kids to do that.

see what bit are missing and then buy those bits to complete them.

You will need Bricklink.com, and/or Brickowl.com. Don't try to get what you need from Ebay.

Rebrickable.com will also be very useful. (normally I'd say Peeron.com, but the site is effectively dead now--still superior to Rebrickable in several ways, but growing ever more outdated, since it has no set from 2012+)

PS---I do plan to sell off all my "original grey" pieces, much of which is space-oriented. Let me know if you'd like a couple of pounds of grey...

Between my lego collection and my comicbook collection, what did I choose to take when I changed continent? The comics of course!!! Instead of my space Monorail Transport System or my original Pirate Ship I now have a mint Battle Chasers #2 and some McFarlane figures… JOY *hits head on wall*!!

Damn comicbook crash of the 90’s had more casualties than those recorded…

My little girl was recovering from being sick today & had earned a big surprise, so we caught a noon showing. It was awesome!!! We missed everything between the big chase at the beginning and the cloud palace, though. She got a little overwhelmed, this was her first trip to the theater. The appearance of superman saved the day, and she was into it after that. She was quite excited to find out that I have 5 cases of lego in the attic.

I don't think I've been this eager to see a movie again since the 20th century. Partly to somewhat relive that moment when my daughter was staring wide-eyed at the screen & whispered "This is awesome, Daddy." Partly to see the middle that we missed while in the lobby. Mostly, though, I just want to see more of the background, and to pick apart how detailed the world was.

Also, while browsing BrickLink, I just realized that Lord Business's evil outfit is just a big red tie.

Love it.

post-2681-0-70892800-1393420960_thumb.jpg

OMG, that *is* awesome! Never noticed that.

Me too, now I want to get all the bits to make my president business into Lord Business.

I am so going to enjoy this when it comes to blu ray.

Frame by frame shots to help me construct the models not produced by Lego.

Man beats all that filler and styrene that it would normally take to make screen accurate props. Plus they'll all be 1/1 scale

Ouch, Monorail *track* alone is probably worth more than everything else you mentioned...

... *hits head a few more times and harder*

Anyways, loved the little Fabuland nods in the movie. Loved the line. The steam ship was my first lego:

post-2996-0-35716900-1393545324_thumb.jpg

The little wire fence pieces made for great weapons batteries or starship engines if you added a brick behind. Some of my best pieces came from the Fabuland sets.

... *hits head a few more times and harder*

Anyways, loved the little Fabuland nods in the movie. Loved the line. The steam ship was my first lego:

attachicon.gif3673-1.jpg

The little wire fence pieces made for great weapons batteries or starship engines if you added a brick behind. Some of my best pieces came from the Fabuland sets.

that was such a mean dig at those and bionicle

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I enjoy the few really useful pieces the Bionicle sets introduced (though the ball joints are fairly weak in general), but the sets seemed like they really got way too off kilter from what they usually make sets about.

On the other hand.. I really loved some of the larger Technics style Bionicle sets that came later on. Yes, the ideas for the vehicles were ridiculous, but you never would have seen something like this come out of the normal Technics line. I mean, come on.. it's a transforming tank-walker. if it weren't for all the silly claws and junk, it would look like something out of the GITS universe.

8996_box.jpg

This single set has proven more useful to me in building assorted types of mechs and transforming vehicles than pretty much every other set I have combined. SIXTEEN of those heavy duty hinges like the AT-AT had, and a dozen or so hydraulic piston assemblies, on top of all the tank treads and such that usually don't come in that amount of bulk in any one set.

Edited by Chronocidal

I never had any Fabuland, but I've got a few of those red fences. I think they might be some of the stuff I have that dates back to the old figures; the ones based around the 2x2 bust pieces that the heads and arms plugged into.

I hope I"m not the only one who remembers those.... :blink:

/raises hand

You're not alone, I played with those too in the early 80's. I think those were mid-70's sets (pre-minifig). The boxes were rigid styrofoam with formed plastic trays for the pieces and a cardboard flap to cover the trays. The wheels were thesered 2x2 cylinder with a thin metal shaft you could slot into a 4x2 black brick with tiny holes in the 4 sides. So easy to make gatling guns with those :D

I don't remember them taking a jab at Bionicle. It and the Star Wars license pretty much saved LEGO's bacon back in around 2003, when the company was facing serious financial losses. I was never a Bionicle fan myself, but I've had a chance to see some amazing stuff, especially by a very cool and talented lady named Breann Sledge.

I'm not sure if Hero Factory is quite the hit that Bionicle was, but it shares a similar look.

As far as the original brick built figures go, this year marks their 40th anniversary.

I know I've got a few of the fence-type pieces, from a variety of sets.. I want to say I got some yellow ones with the original airport set I have, but I think most came from a "bucket" assortment I received very early on. I know I have some of the old metal-shaft wheels too (along with an old wind-up motor with a pair of keys).

I think I've got one of those older figures too, but he's definitely a single assembled piece, a little bigger than a standard minifigure, with a big cartoony head. Got him in a really early helicopter building set that was made entirely of bricks, but also had a big four-bladed propeller I've never seen anywhere else.

Actually, I'm pretty sure a lot of my early pieces actually came from happy meals. For a long time, you could occasionally get legos from mcdonalds, and they'd be simple little sets that could make one or two little vehicles, or combine to make something bigger. I miss those days horribly.

/raises hand

You're not alone, I played with those too in the early 80's. I think those were mid-70's sets (pre-minifig). The boxes were rigid styrofoam with formed plastic trays for the pieces and a cardboard flap to cover the trays. The wheels were thesered 2x2 cylinder with a thin metal shaft you could slot into a 4x2 black brick with tiny holes in the 4 sides. So easy to make gatling guns with those :D

YES! I still have some of those wheels, too! I forgot all about them.

I had nearly every "actual" Lego set from McDonalds. They were pretty nice, just as good as sets you'd buy from a store. So disappointed that modern Happy Meals have "fake" Lego cars etc. Even a 10-piece set would be better than that...

Missed opportunity. But I guess the aft section is pretty useless as anything but an engine compartment, since it's no more than the wing extension mechanism with a small compartment on top for storing the little classic robots. Still neat that they included those, since they were a staple in a bunch of mid-80's sets.

I wish they'd forgone the wing extension in lieu of a set of swing-out double doors and ramp for storing a small vehicle/cargo container like the old sets. I'm a sucker for working cargo features.

The Sea Cow is a pretty cool set. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmHRA2scSGw

I hope LEGO produce Batman's Batplane/Batmobile set. That would round out the collection nicely, and both models look stunning. I'd prefer it over the Sea Cow.

Edited by M'Kyuun

There are two different cowl molds, the original from the 2006 sets, and the newer one which more closely resembles the Christian Bale Batcowl(more culpting around the "ears").

As for Batplanes, there have been two official sets released, the excellent large one with stand in 2006, and a smaller simpler version in 2012. The one from the LEGO Movie is a new model, and would be quite substantial in size, since it has both a front and back seat to carry 4 or 5 minifigs. I hope they produce it as a final LEGO Movie Exclusive, complete with instructions to rebuild it into the Batmobile. That was a badass looking Batmobile, more akin to an armored vehicle than a car. I'd get two copies just to have both vehicles at the same time.

I never had any Fabuland, but I've got a few of those red fences. I think they might be some of the stuff I have that dates back to the old figures; the ones based around the 2x2 bust pieces that the heads and arms plugged into.

I hope I"m not the only one who remembers those.... :blink:

Back in the 70's those were the Lego figures. I/have had several sets before Lego Space came out in 78.

All my other mini figs prior to 78 were the old no arms type.

Im building up my Lego sets as I type this.

Edited by big F

I've gone through and un-modified and verified completeness of all but one of my Star Wars sets, so will be putting them up for sale soon. (need money to fund buying blue parts on Bricklink---I swear, it's like LEGO tried to avoid making blue parts this year---they're almost non-existent except for Benny's ship)