Hey transfan how much was that Scopedog?

Also folks, I just watched the first episode of Pailsen files, the only other Votoms experience I have had before is from watching preview snippets from a few years back. Any suggestions on what else I should be watching?

Youd be surprised how cheap I got it for I only paid 120 US for it on an ebay auction.

Hey transfan how much was that Scopedog?

Also folks, I just watched the first episode of Pailsen files, the only other Votoms experience I have had before is from watching preview snippets from a few years back. Any suggestions on what else I should be watching?

Watch the whole TV series (4 stage, 52 episodes total) first. Its the meat of everything. Then go back and watch all the OVAs, and then Palisen Files last. While it s not in chronological order, watching Pailsen Files first or some of the OVAs will spoil some plot for you in the TV, even though Pailsen Files is a prequel.

Might want to send them a question about it... my experiences with Twin Moons way back when the VOTOMS toy sale started were extremely nice and fast.

Go figure... within an hour of sending in a query about it, I don't get a reply but a shipping notice. :lol:

Hopefully this figure (red shoulder) wont disappoint. I rediscovered my love of plasticy ratchety yamato goodness when I finally fixed my 1/48 VF-1J so I have high hopes.

• 2 weeks later...
So uh, I found a three of the 1/12 scale VOTOMS toys for insanely cheap, no box. The Strong Bacchus, Scopedog and Purple Scopedog. I like the VOTOMS designs a lot (especially the Strong Bacchus). How good are these toys? Someone talk me into buying them.

How cheap is insanely cheap? They're stupidly huge and pretty awesome, though a bit plasticy and simple in appearance and just begging to be repainted.

Ominous.jpg

RedShoulder.jpg

YamatoPair.jpg

UndertheHood.jpg

GearCompare.jpg

Front3.jpg

I like mine, obviously, though he's currently in a thousand half-painted pieces and I'm wondering where the hell I left the screws for his left leg.

Yeah, how cheap is insanely? The Strong Bracchus is a neat alternate design, but the normal Scopedog and Purple one really aren't worth getting at this point, as they've got version 1 joints and are quite floppy... it's an awesome toy when it's good tho, so if you really want one, it might be more worth your time to save up for a more recent release like the Turbo Custom or a reissue Brutishdog, which are the current best of the line.

Yeah, how cheap is insanely? The Strong Bracchus is a neat alternate design, but the normal Scopedog and Purple one really aren't worth getting at this point, as they've got version 1 joints and are quite floppy... it's an awesome toy when it's good tho, so if you really want one, it might be more worth your time to save up for a more recent release like the Turbo Custom or a reissue Brutishdog, which are the current best of the line.

All three were loose, with all accessories and what looked like unused stickers.

3000yen a piece.

If I were to get one, it'd be the Strong Bracchus. How are the joints on that one?

Edited by yellowlightman

All three were loose, with all accessories and what looked like unused stickers.

3000yen a piece.

If I were to get one, it'd be the Strong Bracchus. How are the joints on that one?

Strong Bracchus should be a good choice out of the three. I don't have it myself, but its a later release compare to the others. Its more of a unique variant that not many other toy versions were made. 3000yen sounds like a good price, so I would go for that if I have to choose. And be prepared to do some work on some loose joints (since its used).

Don't forget the Takara 1/18 DMZs though, if you want something that is more sturdy to play. Thats a good option of the Yamato line (but not comparable to 3000yen used ones :p)

That is a very good price... I'd definitely grab the Bracchus for that. Sadly I don't think you'd be able to unload the other two for a profit at this point, as the earlier releases are simply undesirable at this point. Grab the Bracchus tho, you won't regret it.

Ive desperately been looking for a spare part, namely a Microman Chirico Cuvie's Helmet/Gas mask. I just need the Helmet/Gas mask and not the figure itself. If anyone is interested im willing to trade a Round Mover or a Fyana microwoman figure that came with the DMZ-03 Scopedog II for Chirico Cuvie's Helmet/Gas mask. Please let me know. Thanks

Edited by iso0

Has anyone had much experience with ripping apart the Yamato Scopedogs? I posted a thread in the "customizing your toys" board but also thought I'd ask here; I'm repainting my 1/12 Red Shoulder but can't find any way to disassemble the visor component, which is going to make painting it a huge, flaking pain. In particular, I'm trying to find a way to get the rotating camera assembly off of the grey visor. The back of the visor I can mask off, but that sliding assembly is really going to be a nuisance.

Not seen anyone do it so far, but I hope you find the answer... I'm thinking it may be a glued on end cap to keep the slidey bit all together... probably a peg that goes from the camera mount, thru the slidey bit, and has a glued end-cap behind the interior panel.

• 3 weeks later...
Hint: the crash landing is no accident.

Ah, yeah. I thought you were drawing a comparison between the episode and another story.

I don't know, I love VOTOMS but I'm really not too impressed with this series. People are trying to kill Chirico because they've heard he's unkillable, blah blah blah, so what else is new. I think making this a prequel was a mistake, because there really aren't any twists, turns, or revelations they can present us with that won't screw with where they need Chirico to be by episode 1 of the TV series.

Ah, yeah. I thought you were drawing a comparison between the episode and another story.

I don't know, I love VOTOMS but I'm really not too impressed with this series. People are trying to kill Chirico because they've heard he's unkillable, blah blah blah, so what else is new. I think making this a prequel was a mistake, because there really aren't any twists, turns, or revelations they can present us with that won't screw with where they need Chirico to be by episode 1 of the TV series.

Given that the series still isn't over yet, I think it's too early for anyone to be claiming that it's a "mistake" or that it won't gel with what happens at the beginning of the TV series. It'd be wiser to just wait for these last 5 episodes before rushing to any judgments.

Given that the series still isn't over yet, I think it's too early for anyone to be claiming that it's a "mistake" or that it won't gel with what happens at the beginning of the TV series. It'd be wiser to just wait for these last 5 episodes before rushing to any judgments.

We're seven episodes in and past the halfway point. Has anything significant happened yet?

Personally, I don't feel the need for anything "significant" to happen in the first place. Moreso than a lot of other prequels, anime or otherwise, Pailsen Files seems like a natural extension of the already labyrinthine conspiracy of the original. We have the same protagonist, portrayed the same way we saw him in the original series, the same mecha and art design, and even featuring some of the same music. In fact, if it weren't for the much improved animation, you'd be hard pressed to differentiate this from the original. It's not really about adding anything significant to the Votoms story, it's just more of it. I view it in the same vein as the rest of the OVAs: Some other neat stuff that happens to Chirico.

Good point... Roger, you might be forgetting how long ad pandering the plot in the original anime is... awesome, but slow. Paislen files offers us tidbits at a similar pace, and provides just as much if not more killer action than the original...

We're seven episodes in and past the halfway point. Has anything significant happened yet?

I think legato pretty much covered it. Pailsen Files isn't about making Earth-shattering revelations to the VOTOMS world or about Chirico's past - it's about filing in the gaps. At the very least, it looks like it's connecting Roots of Ambition more to the TV series, and showing us what happens to get Pailsen from Roots to where he is in The Last Red Shoulder. For me, that makes this work fine as a prequel.

• 1 month later...
A 1/18 Takara Fatty would sell like hotcakes. I think both Yamato and Takara may have done themselves in by releasing the same basic scopedog over and over with only slight variation.

Takara's 1/18 Scopedog, Rabidlydog, and Strikedog are pretty different from one another. As far as I know they don't share any (or many) parts.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...atrical-release

The official Japanese website of the Armored Trooper Votoms: Pailsen Files video series has announced that a theatrical movie version has been greenlit. Ryousuke Takahashi and Sunrise's 12-episode video series tells a prequel story to their classic 1983-1984 "real robot" anime, Armored Trooper Votoms.

I still haven't watched the OAV, but I'd probably catch it in theaters if I could.

• 2 weeks later...

While I love the original TV series and OVAs, Pailsen files just leaves me cold.

I only watched up to ep # 6, but just couldn't get into it at all. It's a shame, cus' I really wanted to like this OVA.

Part of the problem for me anyway, is that ATs need to be cell animated. Unlike Valks, which actually look good in CG, ATs in Pailsen files look like they come from an early PS2 cut scene movie.

Graham