• 1 month later...
Anyone have one of these?

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT34554

It is the one I've really wanted and I was surprised to see it's still available. Just wondering about how good/bad the Yamato Scopedogs are.

The Yamato Dogs are big but extremely dull looking. Fortunately they're also really, REALLY easy to take apart to paint, which I'd highly recommend doing. If you've ever seen one of Takara's DMZ Scopedogs (gorgeous) you'll never be able to look at a Yamato dog on your shelf without being blinded by the dull bare plastic and broad swaths of blank plastic.

JYD1.jpg

Well I broke down and got it. Working on getting a few of the accessory packs to go with it, and then just need a figure. I know Fyana isn't the "right" figure for it, but she's so hot (and much more available) so I'll probably just get her and go with it.

Well I broke down and got it. Working on getting a few of the accessory packs to go with it, and then just need a figure. I know Fyana isn't the "right" figure for it, but she's so hot (and much more available) so I'll probably just get her and go with it.
It's better you have her anyway. She comes with extra better parts for the Chirico if you ever get your hands on one.

I got the series 1 (SMAT) set of weapons when they were on sale at HLJ before and I'd consider the second set since it's on sale but I have the original dog and it's a floppy mess that can barely hold anything. Sooo a bazooka is kind of out of the question :lol:

I bought the CMs Calamitydogs set, the Green X Red one. They're alright, but the joints are really lose The waist and thigh joints move too freely, making it a bit difficult to pose. Articulation is alright, with everything using ball joints. The shoulders though have double ball joints, which is very nice. The green Calamitydog has a claw hand, and one of the fingers on the claw is very easy to break. The hands are very difficult to remove, and the ball joint feel like they're breaking when you switch hands. Otherwise ,they do have openable cockpits but the pilots are legless. Not much in the way of accessories other than the guns.

I also bought one of CMs FX Warrior AT's, and it was downright terrible. The hands dont fit into ball joints, and the ball joints for attaching the weaponry break terribly easily. I had to take it to the machine shop at work just to fit the weapons. The joints are completely lose, and the figure can barely stand, and it cannot be posed at all with any weapons attached to the hands. Stay away from this thing. The only things that saves this from being complete garbage is the cockpit has a brain in it and that it's colored silver, and the plethora of accesories.

These toys aren't in production anymore, so if you buy them ,they may cost more than they're worth.

I bought the gray space-machine CMs figure and it's a POS. I would never buy another CMS figure like it... unbelievably cheap feeling plastic and terrible joints. The toy is in a constant state of falling apart, and broken in two places. And yet, CMS can whip out the Brave Gokin Ingram, one of my favorite toys ever made.

My Yamato Scopedog came today. I'm in loooove. This thing is just too awesome. Such amazing detail, and of course the size!! The LRS parts set is very nice as well (though I was expecting it to come with a red shoulder piece? Guess I was mistaken, I suppose I could always paint one myself, or try to find one of the Red Shoulder parts sets. ;) ). Very much worth the money! About my only complaint is that it's TOO posable :lol:

Glad I got it when I did, I think HLJ only has a handful of them left.

That's the difference between just a Scopedog Turbo Custom and the Red Shoulder/Imitation Red Shoulder. Glad you're happy and I totally understand what you mean by "too posable". Yamato's dog is kind of overwhelming even when you only have the original loose release. I really wish they could have released some of the other units like the Purple Bear.

I'm a late comer to the Votoms party as I only started collecting Takara's DMZ Scopedogs last November. The DMZ line is pure genius. Realistic weathering, awesome sculpt, and just the right size. The Yamato Scopedogs are beautiful when customized, especially the one posted above by Quinjester. That, sir, is a work of art!

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got my first couple accessories packs for my Yamato Scopedog, does anyone know what the little parts taped in the box are? They appear to be a couple shoulder peg shrouds and something that goes on the foot but I don't know any Japanese so I have no idea what they are or what they are for. My guess was to improve the pose holding of the V1 Scopedog maybe? But I thought I'd ask.

So I just got my first couple accessories packs for my Yamato Scopedog, does anyone know what the little parts taped in the box are? They appear to be a couple shoulder peg shrouds and something that goes on the foot but I don't know any Japanese so I have no idea what they are or what they are for. My guess was to improve the pose holding of the V1 Scopedog maybe? But I thought I'd ask.
You're exactly right. They're to improve the rigidity of the floppy mess dogs. The feet parts keep my ver1 toes from folding over and the whole thing toppling down. The shoulder parts don't really help at all IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for 4 Votoms items and I need some help:

Want the Yamato 1/12 Last Red Shoulder Turbo Custom Set, Brutish Dog, Chirico Figure and Fayana Udo Figures. Any ideas where I can get these other than Yahoo Japan? I saw the Fayna on HLJ at a reasonable price.

SO TO MY REAL QUESTIONS:

Is the Dog in this ToysRUs Combo Pack the Last Red Shoulder version I'm looking for? Or should I just get the one pictured below in the red box to be safe? I want to get the one will ALL the joint updates and fixes.

If I do get the red box version - what accessory packs will I also want for this (and the Brutish Dog)? Looks like many of the accessories come in the Red Shoulder version . . .

post-8486-1270069763_thumb.jpg

post-8486-1270069772_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarrinG

So the only place I might find them is Yahoo Japan auctions at this point?

I thought I read the Brutish did get the fixes. It was the first 3 that were messed up; Scope, Purple One, Another Scope I think -- then they made some of the fixes.

promethuem5 - you in the house? You have the Brutish correct?

And what do people her know of the 2 Wave pilot figures?

Edited by DarrinG

Sorry to keep posting - I can hear the crickets chirping . . .

So the Last Red Shoulder does NOT come with a red shoulder? (below)

Seems like this is the one to get though. Will prob get the parachute pack as well.

HobbyGen does not have this one but everything else. I do not want the clear armor parts version . . .

post-8486-1270135581_thumb.jpg

post-8486-1270135591_thumb.jpg

No, because the Turbo Custom is from the OVA "Last Red Shoulder", not actually a Red Shoulder machine...

To answer your other question, the Brutish is improved like the Red Shoulder was... the TC is basically a 'v3', with all of the joints being tweaked again. I've got everything except the Scopedog II and the Purple unit (which I DID have but sold for cheap). The Red Shoulder and Brutish and the like are good, but not perfect... mine are a bit more loose than normal because I played with them alot. The TC is the best option, perfect out of the box, and hasn't loosened up at all.

No, because the Turbo Custom is from the OVA "Last Red Shoulder", not actually a Red Shoulder machine...

To answer your other question, the Brutish is improved like the Red Shoulder was... the TC is basically a 'v3', with all of the joints being tweaked again. I've got everything except the Scopedog II and the Purple unit (which I DID have but sold for cheap). The Red Shoulder and Brutish and the like are good, but not perfect... mine are a bit more loose than normal because I played with them alot. The TC is the best option, perfect out of the box, and hasn't loosened up at all.

So if I like the red shoulder look and want that for the v3 TC I buy in the red box, I need to get this rather pricey Red Shoulder accessory set?

http://www.hobbygen.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=269

Is that anime accurate to put the red should on the Turbo Custom? I like the look of the big parachute pack as well.

Are there any rumors of the Brutish getting a v3 release?

----

Speaking of the anime - found one ammo tin of dvds on Amazon. Does anyone have theirs for sale? Or should I just gather them one at a time from eBay?

So many questions . . .

The Parachute Pack is pretty cool, has a ton of opening panels with little removable boxes and things, and it folds so that it can stay on in Down Form. I still need the Round Mover, I have Weapon Sets 1 & 2 and the Parachute Pack. Weapon Set 3 isn't as interesting to me since it has only one other gun the other two sets don't have. I'd like to get the big Red Shoulder set that has basically the same parts as the Last Red Shoulder Turbo Custom but includes the red shoulder.

I love my Scopedog. It always amazes me how many gimmicks are on it, and the accessories too! The lack of any detailing is disappointing, but the thing can be basically completely taken apart so customizing is a non-issue.

The big boxed set of the Turbo Custom comes with the equipment that is anime accurate to the Last Red Shoulder OVA, which does not include an actual red shoulderpiece. The 'Red Shoulder' equipment set is anime accurate to the machine from the first 1/4 of the TV series when Chrico busts out of Udoo in a machine cobbled together from pitfighter units, with the red shoulder added by Vanilla on the wrong side, which Chirico comments on, revealing that he's a former Red Shoulder.

One thing worth mentioning is that on none of the big missile launchers by Yamato (the Weapons pack rocket pack, or either of the shoulder units) do the rockets stay in well. The friction nubbins on the inside of the rocket tubes are not substantial enough, and the rockets slide right out... a little white glue on the ass-end will fit them in there without ruining anything tho.

EDIT: The big box 'Red Shoulder' set is good, with the improved Scopedog that is somewhere between the 'v2' and the Turbo Custom for joint tightness, and a great all-inclusive set. Someday I really oughta make room for all my 'Dogs again, because I'm really starting to forget what I own.

Edited by promethuem5

One thing worth mentioning is that on none of the big missile launchers by Yamato (the Weapons pack rocket pack, or either of the shoulder units) do the rockets stay in well. The friction nubbins on the inside of the rocket tubes are not substantial enough, and the rockets slide right out... a little white glue on the ass-end will fit them in there without ruining anything tho.

Mine stick in fine. After sliding them in I pushed on the end a little and they clicked in to place and are pretty secure. From what I've seen, all of them are capable of that including the two tube launcher and the big launcher from Weapon Set 1.

Mine stick in fine. After sliding them in I pushed on the end a little and they clicked in to place and are pretty secure. From what I've seen, all of them are capable of that including the two tube launcher and the big launcher from Weapon Set 1.

I know what you mean, but for some reason none of mine ever stay in as nicely as I'd like. There's a 'sweet spot' that holds OK, but I wish they'd stay in better.

Edited by promethuem5

I know what you mean, but for some reason none of mine ever stay in as nicely as I'd like. There's a 'sweet spot' that holds OK, but I wish they'd stay in better.

Yeah, they're not all perfect but it holds well enough for me.

I have the SMAT from the weapon set and my missiles stay in fine even if I shake it but I don't play with it/them. I had seen several online reviews where people complained the missile just fall out so I was expecting it.

I highly recommend everyone use a GAT-22C and not the standard GAT-22 because the compact version is lighter and less prone to making the arms droop. Plus it's just easier to position in general.

The big boxed set of the Turbo Custom comes with the equipment that is anime accurate to the Last Red Shoulder OVA, which does not include an actual red shoulderpiece. The 'Red Shoulder' equipment set is anime accurate to the machine from the first 1/4 of the TV series when Chrico busts out of Udoo in a machine cobbled together from pitfighter units, with the red shoulder added by Vanilla on the wrong side, which Chirico comments on, revealing that he's a former Red Shoulder.

OK - understand. Not having seen the OVA, is the 1/12 Chirico figure anime accurate for the Turbo Custom that comes in the red box? He doesn't change his uniform for the OVA does he?

And if I get the large red shoulder accessory set - can I use it on the v3 (red box dog) and make it anime accurate for the TV Udoo scenes you speak of? Or is there still something different about the OVA Turbo Custom that cannot be converted to look exactly like the TV opening version?

Uhhh... you're really calling on some long-term memories here :p Chirico pretty much never changes, so the one figure Yamato has released pretty much fits all. One thing tho, is all of the upgrade parts for Chirico that the Udoo city Fyana figure comes with. You get a better helmet with a clear facemask, and a new abdomen assembly with much better articulation... it's pretty sweet. The uniform doesn't change tho.

As for the other set, I'm pretty sure the red box Dog boxset is the same as the individual packed Dog and separate weapons set. The 'red shoulder' unit from the Udoo city arc is just a standard Scopedog with the weapons set and wrong-side red shoulder, so any green Scopedog will do. The box set is really nice if you can find it, and the box stores much better :p

One last thing... if you're getting all concerned with anime accuracy, you should really watch the series and OVAs :p

You must feel like you're trying to talk to a total idiot - sorry this is so painful to explain to a newbie.

Check out this sale link: It comes with the accessories (like actual red shoulder) to make the one in the red box (v3) look like the Udoo City Arc (they have fayana on sale and will get her too).

http://www.hobbygen.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=269

NOW . . .

You said something about the red box version MAYBE coming with the SAME weapons as that sale set but you can see in this picture it does not come with an actual red shoulder. In fact the missile pod looks different as well so I think I will definitely get this.

Is $200 fair for the red box set? Will have to get this from Japan it looks like.

PS - Plan to get the DVD box set and hopefully torrent download the OVA soon . . .

post-8486-1270223028_thumb.jpg

OK, I think I've figured out the problem... you (or the store descriptions) are still getting 'Last Red Shoulder', which is where the Turbo comes from, mixed up with the 'red shoulder' machine, which is the NON-turbo Scopedog from the end of the Udoo arc, and what comes in the big red box. As you noted, the missile launchers are different, as well as pretty much all of the other weapons. The set you posted a picture of is the LRS set for the Turbo, which comes with the smoke-discharger shoulder, not a red shoulder piece. As the description in the linked set indicates, that is the 'red shoulder' set and comes with an actual red shoulder piece. The Yamato 'Red Shoulder' standalone release came with a shiny dark red shoulder, and was the first of the 'v2' figures, with the clear armor parts. The Scopedog that comes with the big red box set is further improved over that toy, and the extra optional lighter flat-red shoulder piece from the Udoo city arc is included with the weapons set you linked, which is what's in the big red box.

Are we all thoroughly confused yet? All you're doing here is making me wish all these boxes weren't in storage :p