New Area 88 anime info/pics

jgrose

This looks very promising.....I remember playing the old Area 88 arcade game, can't tell you how many quarters I pumped into that machine. Thank God it's available on ZNES emulator. B))

The main character has a distinct Focker feel to it.

Very interesting! It does look rather old school, which is nice to see. I hope it will be as good as - if not better than - the original. It has been a long time since I've seen "the last of the gunfighters" in action.

is it just me or does that plane not look like a F-8 Crusader ?

It looks more like a A-7 Corsair the Fighter-Bomber version of the gunfighter because of its short body and distinctive wing pylons (I've yet to see a crusader with pylons like that they are usually scabbed onto the sides of the front )

Edited by Prowlus

is it just me or does that plane not look like a F-8 Crusader ?

It looks more like a A-7 Corsair the Fighter-Bomber version of the gunfighter because of its short body and distinctive wing pylons (I've yet to see a crusader with pylons like that they are usually scabbed onto the sides of the front )

Hmm... good eye! All the specs I see do indeed show no hardpoints on the F-8 wings. An animation mistake already? Without even seeing an episode? :p

Shin did fly a Crusader in the original. Maybe McCoy has rigged it up custom for him, eh? He did rig a few planes in odd ways in the manga. For instance, Shin's more powerful radar that could only be switched on for a minute or so before overloading the electronics.

Either way he didn't hang on to the Crusader long. Wonder how long it will last in this version of the story? Maybe we'll get to see him in the KFIR and Draken as well.

Jeff Grose

AN

Edited by jgrose

It looks like the Area 88 series is taking a fresh start since Rocky appears to be alive and well. Since Shin is flying his Crusader once again, I wonder if this means that this new series will be set around 1979-1982?

Also, is it me, or does Shin look like Roy Focker's long lost brother? :D

Actually, Crusaders DO have two underwing pylons, one under each wing. They are RARELY used, but they were used occasionaly in Vietnam when Crusaders would go on impromptu "Iron Hand" missions. I can't remember exactly what the pylons were stressed to, but I think it was just under 2,000 lbs a piece.

Just finished doing some translation for the Anime News Network Encyclopedia entry. Here's the staff and cast listing:

Staff

Screenplay: Hiroshi Ohnogi (Heat Guy J, Macross Zero)

Mechanical Design: Hiroaki Sato (A.D. Police Files, Key the Metal Idol)

Production Coordination: Ryousuke Takahashi (Gasaraki, Armored Trooper VOTOMS)

Series Supervisor: Isamu Imagake (Street Fighter II: The Movie, Ehrgeiz)

Cast

Takehito Koyasu (Il Palazzo in Excel Saga, Gamlin in Macross 7) as Shin Kazama

Shinichiro Miki (Alan in Escaflowne, Kurz in Full Metal Panic!) as Makoto Shinjou

Tomokazu Seki (Van in Escaflowne, Sousuke in Full Metal Panic!) as Micky Simon

Hiroki Takahashi (Genjo Sanzo in Read Or Die, Kinryu in Macross 7) as Saki Vashtal

Hikaru Midorikawa (Heero in Gundam Wing, Ryuhou in s-CRY-ed) as Kanzaki

I'm wondering if this is gonna be set at the same time as the original,. or will be a modernized remake. I kind of like both ideas. Updating it to a more modern setting could allow for some cooler, newer, planes, as well as making some things more accurate (I.E. no more 'Nam flashbacks with F-14s dropping napalm, it could be gulf war instead, or something like that) And maybe Shin (why is that such a common pilot name?) will end up with an F-22 or something. I mean, that's about as likely as him ending up with an F-20 prototype.

Oh sweet jesus... one of my prayers got answered! :lol:

(now goes to see if my other prayers got answered... but several Hollywood people still live and my toilet has not yet turned to gold)

Yeah, what he said. Now if only if the Area 88 OVA rights can be taken from that stupid and worthless company......

So they do after all, huh? It took me a bit to find one, but here is an image of one that indeed has the pylon:

http://www.photovault.com/Link/Military/Na...NV12P14_18.0361

Jeff Grose

AN

now thats something you don't see everyday. Guess they needed someplace to hang a fuel tank or two . still a lil short to be a crusader but now i can see the colt cannon bulge on the starboard side

• 2 weeks later...

I could not be happier about the news that a "new" Area 88 is going to be made. I have loved Area 88 even before I really knew what it was. Over the years I have made it my mission to collect everything I can that has to do with Area 88, this will make a great addition to my collection.

It is nice to see that although they have updated the animation they still kept a fairly old school style for the character design; however some characters have received more a radical update than others. The new Shin now looks like Roy Fokker with his new blonde hair do.

post-26-1072103066_thumb.jpg