Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments

Tochiro

Excellent. I have to check it out. Is this a regular episode or are you only discussion the announcement of a new Macross tv-series?

Regardless I really enjoy your podcast. Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks so much for the Emergency Broadcast, guys. And for all of the past episodes, because... I've never posted, and I should have. I started listening about a year ago, and once I got caught up on old episodes, waiting for each new one was like being a kid who doesn't know what day Christmas is. So, yeah, two episodes so close together (and one a double) was a treat.

"Boys are watching girls, and girls are watching robots." That rocked.

Don't let Gubaba go home, even if you have to trip him with a bag of Orguss.

That was pretty comprehensive as an Emergency Broadcast guys. Good job.

I agree with your prediction about how the new series is going to look like. No gritty, mecha centered stuff, but something were all 3 aspects of Macross are represented with perhaps the music/idol aspect at the forefront. A full blown idol squadron like you said would be hard to swallow, but idols, young girls and pantsu are to be expected. This is anime, a japanese product aimed at the japanese market and the year is 2014.

I’m surprised about female's watching more mecha shows than men in Japan. I knew that this was true for series like Gundam Seed, but not a general trend. I don’t think that’s really true outside of Japan though. I hope it could attract more female fans (we need more sisters in MW).

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Nekko Basara, you win the award for best handle ever. :) I myself was surprised to see this episode online so soon after -- not even a week after we recorded it! Tochiro really put his all into editing and uploading it before the rampant speculation died down and our commentary ceases to be relevant.

Marzan: Well, the thing about MW is that the "Boys Club" image is so strong that any new female fans who were brought in by Frontier would probably feel intimidated and not post. I know there are even female fans who have an MW user account but have never posted. Let's face it, MW is about the mecha, for the most part. I'm not knocking it, it is what it is, but it's the prominent image that greets you at the top of every page, and the Toys section is the most feverish. I just think it's perfectly understanddable that we may not get many new female members any time soon.

Having said that, those female fans are very active in other forums, like AnimeSuki, and they have also been very productive in the Fan Art side of things, as you can see on DeviantArt, etc. And don't forget what happened last MW Con (or was it the previous one?), when a bunch of girls showed up expecting a cosplay contest and one had to be hurriedly set up impromptu! There's no cosplay forum on MW! And when there was a cosplay thread, it was all just a bunch of dudes leering lewdly... "Wow, this one's smokin' hot!!"

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to propose a change in this site that I am not confortable feeling responsible for, I am just giving my theories as to why those female fans are not visible on here. They ARE out there, though. :)

That was 2012 that we didn't expect cosplayers but last year there was a good mix of female attendees and a lot more cosplayers. MWCon was built up around Macross kit bashers, toy customizers and model builders, so it was a boy's club type thing... but it just got bigger and bigger thru word of mouth. Last year was the first time we actually send out news packets to different outlets and thanks to places like ANN we had double the attendees we were expecting. It was a lot more crowded and stuffy than we planned for. This year we'll be adding extra floor space to give people some breathing room. Hopefully it doesn't double form last year.

Listening to the last bit of the podcast as I type... started last night...

Just one thing about what was mentioned in the podcast about Macross the First: I downloaded the Comic Walker app and it is possible to change the language from "English" to "all content" and with that one gets the japanese original manga too (even if one is not in Japan). Having said that, there is NO Macross The First on Comic Walker. Is it already available on the app in Japan?

Just one thing about what was mentioned in the podcast about Macross the First: I downloaded the Comic Walker app and it is possible to change the language from "English" to "all content" and with that one gets the japanese original manga too (even if one is not in Japan). Having said that, there is NO Macross The First on Comic Walker. Is it already available on the app in Japan?

Yes, I noticed that while I was playing around with it yesterday actually. THE FIRST isnt on the release calendar yet, but theres a banner in the JPN version saying its coming by mid-April.

I am enjoying the SpeakerPODcast. It is interesting to hear about things Macross related that happen in Japan. Keep up the good work guys.

Also In episode 11, when you guys were talking about the museum, you mentioned Tenjin prints. Any information on where I can get some? Google failed me and it would be awesome to have something of his framed on the wall.

Edited by Gwynne

I am enjoying the SpeakerPODcast. It is interesting to hear about things Macross related that happen in Japan. Keep up the good work guys.

Also In episode 11, when you guys were talking about the museum, you mentioned Tenjin prints. Any information on where I can some? Google failed me and it would be awesome to have something of his framed on the wall.

The problem with all of the goods is that they generally only sell them at events. There's no webstore or anything like that. And once they're gone, they're gone.

Edited by Gubaba

The problem with all of the goods is that they generally only sell them at events. There's no webstore or anything like that. And once they're gone, they're gone.

That's a shame. I did find a Gundam print on Yahoo auctions for 60,000 yen :wacko: which seems like a lot. What do they go for at events?

That's a shame. I did find a Gundam print on Yahoo auctions for 60,000 yen :wacko: which seems like a lot. What do they go for at events?

Nothing that expensive since these are just prints.

Prices in general go something like this (not all formats get released for every piece):

A4: 700yen

B4: 2000 yen

A3 lenticular: 2000-3000yen

Wallscroll: 8000yen

I've seen some pop up on auction for 4 times the original price or so. These aren't easy for Japanese fans to get a hold of either. The only easy they are guaranteed to get them is to go to the event - which is the whole idea. Nefarious business scheme, but it works!

• 3 weeks later...

So... did any of the Speakerpodcast guys attend Megumi Nakajima's final farewell concert?

Unfortunately no. I lined up for tickets but they sold out in a snap. And scalpers were asking for $300-$500 for nose bleed seats.

I did look at te set list afterwards though. She did fewer Macross F songs than I would have expected.

• 1 month later...

From what I remember about the Bandai/Toynami "deal" by looking at the displays at SDCC, there seemed to be a deal between Tamashi Nation and Toynami because they had flyers and displays of Tamashii Nation. The DYRL Max VF-1A was suppose to be the first of the line called "Origin of Valkyrie" still listening so maybe you guys will mention that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oLDO91wil8#t=304

I really liked the "Missed Opportunities" discussion, especially regarding the aborted Toynami/Tamashii Nations chunky monkeys. I was hoping that we'd finally have a definitive answer as to what happened, but at least it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's still curious about it.

I also liked Tom Bateman's guest spot. He's got a unique and insightful perspective regarding Macross/Robotech fandom. I didn't expect him to comment as much as he did on Harmony Gold's Robotech personnel. Although I'm glad he did, because it confirmed a lot of my impressions about them, specifically that like any other company, there are some competent staffers as well as some that are misguided.

Aaaand… we're back with Ep.14 Part 2!

Renato sees DYRL projected on the side of a freakin' building.

Oh, and Save runs into THAT GUY…again.

EDIT: I also re-encoded and re-uploaded Part 1. The sound quality should be a bit better now.

Edited by Tochiro

Should be another great listen fellas.

Looking forward to hearing why MM jenius wasnt correctly translated in the new MF movies.

BTW. Are you guys still going to cover the previous MWCON from last year?

The sixth graders gotta go. How about its a boy band and they get drafted and they use holograms on their valkyries to make cool music videos and scare off zentradi with like valks disguised as monsters.

Also it was an extremely informative episode, I didn't know Studio Nue was like 4 dudes in an apartment XD. I'd like to learn more about what i don't know but i'd like to learn more.