Alternative Macross - a what if !!

big F

I frequent several websites other than Macrossworld and one of them is http://man-e-toys.com an awesome web site profiling custom made toys as art and also concept toy based art.

An artist called Sillof creates figures of alternate versions of things like Star Wars, Dune etc. Below is a what if Starwars was set in the era of the Samurai. He has also done Star Wars Victorian and WWII among others.

See all his work at http://truteknologyf...group.jpg?w=510 I thought of Macross instantly with a what if the SDF1 had crashed in 1899 instead?.

So My thought were filled with an airship version of the Valk VF1 Prop driven Zentran fighters and an Iron clad Destroid with a Gatling gun and all covered in rivets.

I'm not the artist I used to be so cant put my ideas down although my head is full of them.

c-sam-group.jpg?w=510

Edited by big F

Thing that I did not mention is that there also seems to be a back story created for these Alt versions, and also some Cinema posters made by other artists.

Figure modding is far from new, its as old as figures are, but every now and then something catches your eye.

I look at my figures in a different light now :)

Prop powered Zentradi couldn't travel through space, and if Earth had only been at an airship level, then best case the Zentradi would have blown up the wrecked ship. Worse case, blown up the Earth with no survivors.

Keith you do have a point. But what if they didn't come from space ? In Sillof's wild west and Victorian StarWars they are very much earth bound characters. What I was thinking was the Zentran's could be a super power or a mega corp. Think Captain Nemo style, not 50 foot high and green.

Maybe the SDF 1 was a kind of flying warship battleship loaded with the Nemo style future tech. I'm thinking more Disney Nemo on that front though.

Roy Focker dressed in a Victorian era Soldiers uniform crossed with a WW 1 fighter pilot suit.

Max would be a Victorian era rich boy barons son who happens to be an airship pilot and therefore an ideal person to be involved.

Hikaru is a circus acrobat who is friends with Roy, and gets caught up in the conflict.

Minmay is a serving girl at a local public house.

Captain Global is basically Captain Nemo in Victorian military garb.

The Zentran troops are not grown but are brain washed stooges acquired by the press gangs as was the way of getting sailors sometimes.

There fleshed out my Macross 1899, hope that helps give some ideas.

Edited by big F

50 foot zentreadi= ancient atlantean civilization whose mastery of alchemy and metal working has disapeared from the face of the earth untill the year 1899 when an abandoned large submersible warship is found by an expedition party of Queen Victoria's. 10 years later the ships owners rise from the depths

50 foot zentreadi= ancient atlantean civilization whose mastery of alchemy and metal working has disapeared from the face of the earth untill the year 1899 when an abandoned large submersible warship is found by an expedition party of Queen Victoria's. 10 years later the ships owners rise from the depths

Spot on therefore the whole tech solution is solved, you can now have airships and planes etc.

mmm!! Steam powered destroids.......

Make it cannon :)

Edited by big F

I frequent several websites other than Macrossworld and one of them is http://man-e-toys.com an awesome web site profiling custom made toys as art and also concept toy based art.

An artist called Sillof creates figures of alternate versions of things like Star Wars, Dune etc. Below is a what if Starwars was set in the era of the Samurai. He has also done Star Wars Victorian and WWII among others.

See all his work at http://truteknologyf...group.jpg?w=510 I thought of Macross instantly with a what if the SDF1 had crashed in 1899 instead?.

So My thought were filled with an airship version of the Valk VF1 Prop driven Zentran fighters and an Iron clad Destroid with a Gatling gun and all covered in rivets.

I'm not the artist I used to be so cant put my ideas down although my head is full of them.

mmm, okay?

but why the f**k does "alternate C3PO" look like he's got boobs?! :blink:

Okay, I'll meet you halfway; I'd be willing to suspend disbelief, maybe buy into the proposition of a race of Atlantean giant-warrior-slaves, hence a justification for steampunk Destroids--maybe even Valkyries...

but the design and execution of a re-conceptualized Macross ship would be tough indeed. Would it have pre-dreadnought styled battleships for arms?

LeRedoutablePhoto.jpg

I just don't think Macross works in this case. Too many elements such as the Protoculture, their technology, Vajra, etc, are all dependant on super advanced tech + space travel + Earth being able to backwards engineer & compete.

I just don't think Macross works in this case. Too many elements such as the Protoculture, their technology, Vajra, etc, are all dependant on super advanced tech + space travel + Earth being able to backwards engineer & compete.

Protoculture= original Atlanteans

Zentreadi= Atlantean's slave warriors

Technology= alchemy

Vajra= caused the destruction of atlantis

Space travel= undersea/air travel to islands in the sky hidden by clouds

SDF-1= WWII/Korean war level technology with alchemy giving it advanced flight ability

Battlepod=war of the worldsesque tripod like vehicles

VF-1= twin engined fighter similar to P-38 or A-20 Havoc

Conventional military= Victorian era/WWI militaries

Unification war= Crimean war

10 years after crash= about 30 years to make reverse engineering more believeable

Micro missiles= congreave rockets ;) hehe

Space fold to pluto= warp to middle of antarctica

Grand cannon= litteral grand cannon(think hitler's V3 gun)

Edited by renegadeleader1

The only thing I would change is to remove the whole transformation aspect from its mecha (I know I'm in the minority here :) ), have the VF-1 be the super-fighter of the last few episodes, but instead have modified 4 & 5G aircraft enhanced with the SDF-1's recovered tech be the main fighters of the show. Would also like to take it into a more gritty character drama direction with the: who is a Cylon Zentradi question constantly lingering over the show's cadre of humanly imperfect characters.

I'm with Keith on this. Macross as a story is too dependent on technology and science fiction elements to work in historical settings. doing this with star wars works because Star Wars isn't science fiction so much as it is fantasy with sci-fi window dressing. The actual stories (in the movies anyways) are very non-dependent on the technology they feature, and many elements (i.e. Jedi, lightsabers, the force) are actually pretty anachronistic to the technologically advanced future setting, and would be much better fits for settings like medieval Europe or feudal Japan.

Protoculture= original Atlanteans

Zentreadi= Atlantean's slave warriors

Technology= alchemy

Vajra= caused the destruction of atlantis

Space travel= undersea/air travel to islands in the sky hidden by clouds

SDF-1= WWII/Korean war level technology with alchemy giving it advanced flight ability

Battlepod=war of the worldsesque tripod like vehicles

VF-1= twin engined fighter similar to P-38 or A-20 Havoc

Conventional military= Victorian era/WWI militaries

Unification war= Crimean war

10 years after crash= about 30 years to make reverse engineering more believeable

Micro missiles= congreave rockets ;) hehe

Space fold to pluto= warp to middle of antarctica

Grand cannon= litteral grand cannon(think hitler's V3 gun)

Now I understand. What you actually want to watch is "FUSHIGI NO UMI NADIA" ;)

Would also like to take it into a more gritty character drama direction with the: who is a Cylon Zentradi question constantly lingering over the show's cadre of humanly imperfect characters.

I dunno; the funny skin tone would give them away easily enough--some of them, at least, like Quamzin, Exedol and Breetai. Then again, the script writers Zentran have proven to be smart enough to only send spies with skin color that at least resembles generic human tones.

I dunno; the funny skin tone would give them away easily enough--some of them, at least, like Quamzin, Exedol and Breetai. Then again, the script writers Zentran have proven to be smart enough to only send spies with skin color that at least resembles generic human tones.

No really, you guys need to watch Nadia...

I...just watched the clip. Was that...Captain Global I just saw?

Or maybe his altverse twin.

Non transforming mecha would kinda remove the whole feel of Macross, but maybe limiting it to only a few items like destroids as flying stuff is pushing it by today tech and theoretical ideas let alone 100+ years ago. The SDF as a Super Dreadnaught though would be cool, and have the Prometheus and ARMD 1 as dockable support Destroyers.

The Transformers trip to a what if independence era U.S.A was one of the things that got me thinking about it. Bumblebee as a yellow steam train is great. All the steel plate and rivets and Brunell style engineering.

As far as magic/alchemy is concerned Macross has its fair share of that so inclusion in Macross 1899 is kinda needed if only to explain away some stuff like powerful robot like stuff and fast flying and uber energy systems.

Macross for me was always a story that happened to have robotics and space in it. As far as arguing its subject category is concerned many a post on StarWars forums have discussed that kinda thing to no conclusion, imo sci-fi and fantasy go hand in hand, and sci-fi can't work with out fantasy.

I'm sketching up a Roy Focker in Victorian garb and as soon as I'm done I will post it here.

Edited by big F

I...just watched the clip. Was that...Captain Global I just saw?

I thnik the same thing when I saw a image of all staff of Nadia^^

Disney "used" (to don't say "rippoff") the anime like basis of Atlantis.