The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

33 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

If I'm not mistaken, Victory Saber and Deathsaurus both ended around 27,000, making Omega Prone the most-successful Transformers Haslab so far.

While I'm happy for the success I was asking my self if the backer numbers should be significantly higher than both Star Saber and Deathsaurus. 

It is an Optimus Prime, the hero of a cartoon that ran on TV in the West. It should have sold gangbusters.

Now it seems that the same people who backed the two Victory campaigns also backed Prime (oversimplification).

I wonder if one could extrapolate the number of adult fans of the Transformers brand based on these numbers. Did 10% of the fanbase bought Omega Prime? That would mean a fanbase of 300k adult collectors worldwide, or did 90% back him that would mean 30k.

And if the collector market makes up 20% of all sales does that mean a standard run of a retail Prime are 1.5m units or just 150k?

Again this is all an oversimplification but it is fun to guesstimate nonetheless. ^_^

[edit:] Sorry if the math is wrong, I just woke up :lazy:

Edited by Scyla

8 minutes ago, Scyla said:

While I'm happy for the success I was asking my self if the backer numbers should be significantly higher than both Star Saber and Deathsaurus. 

It is an Optimus Prime, the hero of a cartoon that ran on TV in the West. It should have sold gangbusters.

Honestly?  I think all three being over $200 puts them firmly in realm of more serious adult collectors... no one is funding Haslabs on a whim, the way someone might randomly buy a Transformer at Target.  Because of that, there's certainly overlap in the people who bought Star Saber and or Deathsaurus and Omega Prime (like me, for instance).  And I think Prime probably outsold Victory Saber and Deathsaurus because he is Prime, sure.  But, in a way, I think all three are targeting niches.  Victory Saber and Deathsaurus target the hardcore G1 fans who either grew up with Japanese G1 in the East or cared enough to learn about Japanese G1 in the West.  And Omega Prime targets the fans who grew up later with RiD being their G1.  And that's the thing, I don't think that group is particularly big.  Yes, in hindsight RiD marked the return of Autobots and Transformers turning into vehicles and an Optimus that wasn't Primal, but RiD hit before Dreamwave started publishing their Transformers comic book and the '80s revival boom began, and it was by and large overshadowed by the Unicron Trilogy.

Hasbro has announced, after a lot of feedback from adult collectors, that they'll be bringing back plastic windows on their six-inch figures.  G.I. Joe, Marvel Legends, and Star Wars seem pretty obvious, and they showed off the new packaging for those.  They said that the windowed packaging will apply to Transformers as well, but it's not as clear how since they're not really 6" figures and no new packaging was shown.  Regardless, the new packaging is supposed to go into effect in the fall of this year.

Origins Wheeljack is already sold out. I didn't know it was going up for PO today, and I was up at 0630 PST, as I have an appointment this morning. but I keep missing all these POs on Pulse which negates the only positive of membership, namely free shipping on everything. Anyway, I got my PO on Target's site. I have several Targets in my area, but I rarely go, and usually any 'hot' item is long gone by the time I get there, so it's better to just endure the $5 shipping cost to ensure I at least get a copy. Good luck to anyone else looking for this fig.

Posted (edited)

Livestream going on.  They said it's specifically for Legacy this week, and everything's been leaked already, so it's just a question of when the preorders go up.

Core

Beast Machines Cheetor

Deluxe

Infernac Universe Shard

G1 Gears (I think BMac just suggested that there might be a toy head version in the works?)

Cyberverse Chromia

Voyager

Cybertron Starscream

Beast Wars Silverbolt

Leader

G1 Sandstorm (another comment about an alternate animation head)

Bonus!

Another reveal for Origins Wheeljack (Voyager-class), who's long sold out at Pulse.

Edited by mikeszekely

11 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Livestream going on.  They said it's specifically for Legacy this week, and everything's been leaked already, so it's just a question of when the preorders go up.

I hope they don't go up right after the stream, as I'll be at an appointment, and once again, I'll miss my opportunity to get my POs on Pulse. Between myself and my mother-in-law, our appointments unfortunately fell on Thursdays for the last three weeks of March. ☹️ This morning I'll likely get to see the full stream, but I need to leave for my appointment in about 20 minutes, and if POs go up right after, my chances of getting my desired POs on Pulse are nil. 

Edited by M'Kyuun

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I hope they don't go up right after the stream, as I'll be at an appointment, and once again, I'll miss my opportunity to get my POs on Pulse. Between myself and my mother-in-law, our appointments unfortunately fell on Thursdays for the last three weeks of March. ☹️ This morning I'll likely get to see the full stream, but I need to leave for my appointment in about 20 minutes, and if POs go up right after, my chances of getting Gears on Pulse are nil. 

They go up around 1:00pm Easter/10:00am Pacific.

Edited by mikeszekely

1 minute ago, mikeszekely said:

They go up around 1:00pm Easter/10:00am Pacific.

Yep. :( I'll likely still be at my appointment or making my way home. I have little hope I'll get home before Pulse is sold out on the figs I want, especially Gears.

Last week BMac suggested that the stream next week will have his favorite reveal.  At the time I speculated that it might be SS86 Optimus or Swoop, but BMac just clarified that it's not his favorite of the year, it's his favorite reveal ever.  And he used "radical" to describe it, with Mark adding "tubular."  So, it sounds like it's going to be a reveal of the rumored TMNT x Transformers crossover.

Live on Pulse.

I preordered everything except Chromia and Cheetor.  I'm not going outside of G1 for Core-class guys that should be bigger, and aside from the very nice head sculpt Chromia was done better in Siege and Thrilling 30.

27 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Live on Pulse.

I preordered everything except Chromia and Cheetor.  I'm not going outside of G1 for Core-class guys that should be bigger, and aside from the very nice head sculpt Chromia was done better in Siege and Thrilling 30.

I just got home from my appointment, and of course Gears is sold out already. I did get Silverbolt and Sandstorm though, so there's that. I'll get Gears elsewhere. Since I'll miss next week's fanstream, I kinda hope it is the TMNT crossover, as I have no interest in the Turtles and I won't miss yet another PO window for stuff I want. Cowabunga, dudes!

Just now, M'Kyuun said:

I just got home from my appointment, and of course Gears is sold out already. I did get Silverbolt and Sandstorm though, so there's that. I'll get Gears elsewhere. Since I'll miss next week's fanstream, I kinda hope it is the TMNT crossover, as I have no interest in the Turtles and I won't miss yet another PO window for stuff I want. Cowabunga, dudes!

Holy moly, I just checked Amazon and I see that he's already sold out there, too!

Well, I have a habit of preordering at both Pulse and Amazon, then canceling one of them later.  If you don't find a Gears I'll send you my extra.

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

@M'Kyuun Gears is available to preorder from Hasbro Pulse, Entertainment Earth, and The Chosen Prime among a few others.  Those 3 are my main stores.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-legacy-united-deluxe-class-g1-universe-autobot-gears-figure

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/transformers-generations-legacy-united-deluxe-g1-gears/hsf8530

https://www.thechosenprime.com/tfgludg1ugears

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Thanks, man. I got mine through BBTS. I could have waited for my local Wally to get him and spare myself the markup and shipping, but my FOMO is strong. I do have to say that the situation has improved dramatically over the last few years so far as finding TFs in the store, and I likely could have waited to find it in the store without much worry. Old habits, however.

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Holy moly, I just checked Amazon and I see that he's already sold out there, too!

Well, I have a habit of preordering at both Pulse and Amazon, then canceling one of them later.  If you don't find a Gears I'll send you my extra.

Thanks Mike. I went ahead and got one with BBTS. 

Posted (edited)

Preorders open tomorrow at 9:00am EDT, and I think they're another Target-exclusive.  I guess people are happy because a lot of them missed Tarn the first time for some reason?  I don't see a huge difference there.  Don't really need Tarantulas, either.  I guess the deco is based on some prototype.  That said, I guess I'll have to shell out for this set anyway to get Prime Cliffjumper (retooled from Legacy United Chase) and Squeezeplay (looks like a heavy retool of Titans Return Mindwipe).

TargetExclusiveLegacyUnitedMultipackRevealed-SqueezeplayTarantulasTarnCliffjumper(19)__scaled_800.jpg.abfc0642ba3dc70ef0f2a6a95c1140a3.jpg

EDIT: OMG, Squeezeplay's gun is molded to look like Browning from Masterforce.

TargetExclusiveLegacyUnitedMultipackRevealed-SqueezeplayTarantulasTarnCliffjumper(20)__scaled_800.jpg.7a36a0fa934dba0782ef8ae13153b18b.jpg

Don't forget the Pulse stream at 11:00am, also.

Edited by mikeszekely

55 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Preorders open tomorrow at 9:00am EDT, and I think they're another Target-exclusive.  I guess people are happy because a lot of them missed Tarn the first time for some reason?  I don't see a huge difference there.  Don't really need Tarantulas, either.  I guess the deco is based on some prototype.  That said, I guess I'll have to shell out for this set anyway to get Prime Cliffjumper (retooled from Legacy United Chase) and Squeezeplay (looks like a heavy retool of Titans Return Mindwipe).

TargetExclusiveLegacyUnitedMultipackRevealed-SqueezeplayTarantulasTarnCliffjumper(19)__scaled_800.jpg.abfc0642ba3dc70ef0f2a6a95c1140a3.jpg

TargetExclusiveLegacyUnitedMultipackRevealed-SqueezeplayTarantulasTarnCliffjumper(20)__scaled_800.jpg.7a36a0fa934dba0782ef8ae13153b18b.jpg

Those look cool! I seen a picture online with a red looking ant from Takara, I wonder if that will be an antagony?

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

The Tarn is repainted to look like his Cyberverse incarnation.

The Tarantulas is in the color scheme of the prototype for his original toy seen in the commercials and in some official artwork.

25 minutes ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Those look cool! I seen a picture online with a red looking ant from Takara, I wonder if that will be an antagony?

Red Ant?  Do you mean Inferno?  Antagony already got a release last fall, and as a black ant.  Inferno was released... I want to say late 2022.  Inferno was a regular retail release, while Antagony was a Pulse-exlcusive Generations Select release.  She's the exact same figure, just in a different color, packaged with an extra head.

PXL_20231001_163706720.jpg.7d75b84823958229d314df24aa1a7dbc.jpg.756cf27eea4c0ec8ef121b5595160f17.jpg

PXL_20231001_164713523.jpg.903f376ae928abd41c985df1687c82c6.jpg.c5dda3751e80683ecbf3863eadd3b38e.jpg

1 minute ago, mikeszekely said:

Red Ant?  Do you mean Inferno?  Antagony already got a release last fall, and as a black ant.  Inferno was released... I want to say late 2022.  Inferno was a regular retail release, while Antagony was a Pulse-exlcusive Generations Select release.  She's the exact same figure, just in a different color, packaged with an extra head.

PXL_20231001_163706720.jpg.7d75b84823958229d314df24aa1a7dbc.jpg.756cf27eea4c0ec8ef121b5595160f17.jpg

PXL_20231001_164713523.jpg.903f376ae928abd41c985df1687c82c6.jpg.c5dda3751e80683ecbf3863eadd3b38e.jpg

Ok, thanks for the info on that. I seen today somewhere online a new series by Takara were its one of each beast wars Maximal vs. Predicon in red/foil box's . I thought you might be keeping track of those:).

It would be nice if someone made one of her more fembot versions from the comics, maybe some day. she is a very interesting character. 

6 minutes ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Ok, thanks for the info on that. I seen today somewhere online a new series by Takara were its one of each beast wars Maximal vs. Predicon in red/foil box's . I thought you might be keeping track of those:).

I'm sort of aware of what Takara is doing, but I mostly stick with the stuff Hasbro releases domestically.  I think the last time I imported a Takara figure it was the Tenseg base Optimus Prime, though I'm awaiting copies of Missing Link Convoy and Lunar Cruiser Prime. 

Hasbro mandated awhile back that Takara's regular retail releases of Transformers figures can't be substantially different than Hasbro's anymore.  Takara has been slowly releasing premium "Beast War Versus" packs, though, with more and more accurate paint.  So far they've done Primal vs Megatron, Rattrap vs Terrorsaur, Dinobot vs Tarantulas, Tigatron vs Blackarachnia, Cheetor vs Waspinator, and Rhinox vs Scorponok.  Airazor vs Inferno is the most recent, available for preorder now.  When it comes to Beast Wars, though, I've bought the Kingdom/Legacy figures as they've come out and I'm glad to have what I'd consider the "main" cast (that is, the pre-Transmetal, pre-Fuzor cast).  As someone who has, on more than one occasion, bought a figure and then bought a more cartoon-accurate repaint later, I get the appeal of these premium versions for Beast Wars fans, but as more of a G1 guy personally the regular Kingdom/Legacy releases.

20 minutes ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

It would be nice if someone made one of her more fembot versions from the comics, maybe some day. she is a very interesting character.

IIRC the original take on Antagony was based on Transmetal Inferno, which has a slimmer lower body (though a pretty broad chest).  Maybe if/when Hasbro gets around to doing the Transmetal versions of the Beast Wars crew...

7 minutes ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Awesome! It's only a blurry image, but it already looks miles ahead from third party options and Takara seems to be putting on their A-game for articulation. Hopefully robot and truck will be similat in size to MP-44.

Also I just noticed that Ginrai is an entry for MP not MPG as previously speculated.

https://www.target.com/p/transformers-legacy-united-action-figure-set---4pk--target-exclusive-/-/A-89629499

If you have a Red Card linked to your account be sure to click the $20 off $75 on toys offer.  My total after tax was $60.41.

If you prefer Pulse there's no special savings, but 

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/new/products/transformers-legacy-united-versus-multipack

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lechuck said:

Awesome! It's only a blurry image, but it already looks miles ahead from third party options and Takara seems to be putting on their A-game for articulation. Hopefully robot and truck will be similat in size to MP-44.

Also I just noticed that Ginrai is an entry for MP not MPG as previously speculated.

MP-60, not MPG.  Ginrai, not Super Ginrai.  And a price around MP Hoist's.  Hmm... it looks like Takara's doing the KFC thing, and the trailer will come later.  I can't help but be a bit disappointed... if it was MPG there was some hope it'd scale with Legacy.

Bit more exciting to me is the TMNT collab.

20240327_220717.jpg.ae0a445d8c423819c25e138cea22951a.jpg

GJudCwnWUAEC8AF.jpg.6889951d236b77869e4f63e3fc97fd8c.jpg

EDIT: Target link is up.  You can use the same $20 off $75 on two (the most you can order in one go) if you want to buy four, or $5 off $30 on just one.

https://www.target.com/p/transformers-x-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-action-figure/-/A-90257545

Note that it's one figure of one turtle that turns into the party wagon with the weapons and head to make it any of the four Turtles, or a no-bandana head to make it a non-specific turtle mech.

Edited by mikeszekely

I'm kinda 50/50 on the Turtles. On one hand, I dig it, but on the oher hand I rather have an actual robot that scanned the van and transformered, rather than the van being a Turtle. For me, it's why I was never a fan of those Star Wars x Transformers crossovers, where a TIE Advanced became Darth Vader or looked like him. I prefer the Ectotron or Giggatron style where it's a unique bot that scanned the vehicle and has some nostalgic bits thrown in. MP60 - tempting as most the MPs are, but again dissapointing there is no trailer, etc. Knowing tt, they probably do some MP60+ version with a trailer or anime colours or whatever, but ngl it was my first prime back in the day, so hits a spot for me