VF-2JA

maxi

Hello guys and girls. First of all, if this is in the wrong section please move it. I was looking in the internet for some blueprints of the VF-2JA from Macross II. I´m planning to scratch build a fully transformable one but I couldn´t find the views that I need. I need top, side and front. I do have the lineart from Macross Mecha Manual but there are no plan views. Thanks.

This is awesome, I've been looking for these too. I started a non-transformable one a long time ago but never got much past the forward fuselage. I will be blown away to see a fully transformable one! What size are you going to make it Maxi?

Thanks for the pics Airborne!!! I´ll try to get the plan views from there.....but my drawing skills are.....well....not the best.....:rolleyes:. I´ll probably make it at 1/60 scale...or even 1/48!!! I´d like to make in 1/72 like my other kits, but the transf. mechanism will be very dificult in that scale...with all those little parts....but I´ll see what comes up with this....

I dont remember where I found the pics (many years searching) and the size of the vf 2ja in 1/60 scale is bigger than the vf 2ss which is in turn very similar in size in the 3 modes to the vf 1 so I belive the 1/60 scale is very appropriate for good toy

In fighter mode the VF-2SS is actually quite a bit smaller then the VF-1 in length (but quite wide). I included a (still undetailed) side view in my size chart I've been working on.

vfsizecomparison.th.jpg

Edited by Talos

Thanks for the pics Talos, damn I never realized how small the VF-2SS is! It really is the sexy sports car of Valkyries!

Yeah, it totally is. I didn't believe it either when I scaled it to the numbers Seto provided, based on that top view valhary posted above. Like most sports cars, it's a rather wide design too. I might have emphasized the shortness of it by putting it next to the insanely-long SV-51 though...

grapetang, I'll see if I can get Seto Kaiba over here, he's the guy to go to for Macross II info, especially background stuff.

Hey Talos, I honestly think that's a bit too small. I have the 1/72 scale of a few of these (including a VF-2SS), and looking at them... I'm not sure a pilot could even fit in that silhouette. I have to say though that the VF-2SS is smaller than expected, perhaps not that small? I guess these are the problems of anime....

grapetang, I'll see if I can get Seto Kaiba over here, he's the guy to go to for Macross II info, especially background stuff.

You're doing it wrong... you have to say my name three times, like in Beetlejuice. :p

Hello guys and girls. First of all, if this is in the wrong section please move it. I was looking in the internet for some blueprints of the VF-2JA from Macross II. I´m planning to scratch build a fully transformable one but I couldn´t find the views that I need. I need top, side and front. I do have the lineart from Macross Mecha Manual but there are no plan views. Thanks.

Sadly, there don't appear to be any plan views of the VF-2JA out there. I assure you that if there were, I would've made sure of their inclusion in the Macross Mecha Manual's Macross II coverage. It's a minor background mecha, so it doesn't really get much in the way of coverage... whereas the Valkyrie II has plan views both with and without its Super Armed Pack.

Yeah, it totally is. I didn't believe it either when I scaled it to the numbers Seto provided, based on that top view valhary posted above. Like most sports cars, it's a rather wide design too. I might have emphasized the shortness of it by putting it next to the insanely-long SV-51 though...

Yeah, the Valkyrie II's transformation is also set up such that it makes the battroid taller than the fighter mode is long, which is a bit unusual as well. I do think putting it next to the longest VF might do a bit to overstate its small size though. For those who care, the above-posted size comparison is from This is Animation Special #5: Macross II pg79.

Hey Talos, I honestly think that's a bit too small. I have the 1/72 scale of a few of these (including a VF-2SS), and looking at them... I'm not sure a pilot could even fit in that silhouette. I have to say though that the VF-2SS is smaller than expected, perhaps not that small? I guess these are the problems of anime....

Admittedly, some of the toys and models don't do a great job of matching the official information... my personal (least) favorite is the 1/250 collection's VF-2SS, which lists the fighter mode length as 15.2m, a figure that doesn't match the animation materials. That size comparison shows a fighter-mode length (w/ Super Armed Pack) of 14m on the nose... which jives with the official data. The line art shows the fighter itself is slightly shorter than the length with the SAP barrel, and computes out to 13.505m when you work from the size comparison. Macross Chronicle declines to list a size for it in the stats block on its mechanic sheet, but its own size comparison shows the Valkyrie II at about the same size as a VF-1. (Admittedly, Macross Chronicle's coverage of Macross II was spotty and inaccurate to say the least...)

You're doing it wrong... you have to say my name three times, like in Beetlejuice. :p

Bah, I did it twice!

Sadly, there don't appear to be any plan views of the VF-2JA out there. I assure you that if there were, I would've made sure of their inclusion in the Macross Mecha Manual's Macross II coverage. It's a minor background mecha, so it doesn't really get much in the way of coverage... whereas the Valkyrie II has plan views both with and without its Super Armed Pack.

That's not /entirely/ true, there is one small snippet of one, a partial side view, mostly of the forward fuselage.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross2/vf-2ja/vf-2ja-transformation1.gif

Admittedly, some of the toys and models don't do a great job of matching the official information... my personal (least) favorite is the 1/250 collection's VF-2SS, which lists the fighter mode length as 15.2m, a figure that doesn't match the animation materials. That size comparison shows a fighter-mode length (w/ Super Armed Pack) of 14m on the nose... which jives with the official data. The line art shows the fighter itself is slightly shorter than the length with the SAP barrel, and computes out to 13.505m when you work from the size comparison. Macross Chronicle declines to list a size for it in the stats block on its mechanic sheet, but its own size comparison shows the Valkyrie II at about the same size as a VF-1. (Admittedly, Macross Chronicle's coverage of Macross II was spotty and inaccurate to say the least...)

Yeah, that's the number I used, 13.505m. Still bigger then the VF-9...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this is slightly off topic but I would like some feed back on a project I was writing up for the rifter before pB lost the license this is something I was working on and if any one wants the Full file let me know and I will send a finished pdf version.

Here it is the Tatical Grenade Box Protector for the VF 2SS

http://shellshocknb.deviantart.com/gallery/881354#/d18v1lw