Three Musketeers

Just watched a promo clip for "The Three Musketeers" on TV last night (Comcast on Demand, movie previews section).

First off, they specifically refer to it as a "Reboot", I'm getting sick of that word - how the H*LL do you reboot a book? A new movie is just another movie based on the book, NOT a reboot.

Then on to the movie itself, it appears that they had to add in giant flying boats and ninjas, and Constance (I think it's her) is now a swordswoman...

Why did they even bother calling it "The Three Musketeers"?

PASS

They've made so many films of this book and none does Alexander Dumas any justice. Or Man in the Iron Mask for that matter. They should turn it into an HBO series or something. And get some real fencing instructors to teach people how to fight... Princess Bride style. I still would rather watch the old Gene Kelly version over the Keifer 1990 version.

They've made so many films of this book and none does Alexander Dumas any justice. Or Man in the Iron Mask for that matter. They should turn it into an HBO series or something. And get some real fencing instructors to teach people how to fight... Princess Bride style. I still would rather watch the old Gene Kelly version over the Keifer 1990 version.

My personal favorite was the one from the seventies, which was very Tongue in Cheek. I halfway remember the ninja moves one (fleeting images of it in my brain). The Keifer one, all I could think of while watching the first couple minutes is the version from the seventies.

If you want to see a Dumas book done right, watch the French version of Count of Monte-Cristo (Christo?) with Gerard Depardiue (I spelled that wrong too). That is excellent, while the US movie version sucks (both of the ones I've seen).

How's this for a remake? Set it in WW2 when France is having an "identiy crisis." An American OSS Operative, British SAS Commando, and former Legionnaire befriend a young Resistance member. Together they must defeat Colonel Richleau of the Vichy Regime who is working with the German SS to breed an army of Zombie stormtroopers. Directed by Uwen Boll.

+1 on the HBO series. Now those guys know how to do things right.

The Keifer version was pretty poor. I could never picture the guys on the screen as the guys from the novel. I mean Charlie Sheen as Aramis?

How's this for a remake? Set it in WW2 when France is having an "identiy crisis." An American OSS Operative, British SAS Commando, and former Legionnaire befriend a young Resistance member. Together they must defeat Colonel Richleau of the Vichy Regime who is working with the German SS to breed an army of Zombie stormtroopers. Directed by Uwen Boll.

Except for that last sentence, I thought that sounded awesome. It should be written by Joss Whedon. The sequel will need some werewolf Wehrmacht. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I made the mistake of watching (Half!) of the DVD, this movie is utterly dreadful. Hamfisted directing, reasonable acting (hard to fault the actors when the material is so bad), and out of place modern elements (razor wire hallway? Really!!!?). Turned it off and sent it back to Netflix after the Razor wire bit.

This thread is talking about 2 different recent movies of the same title. Both probably bad.

I was refering to the one that nominally takes place in the past. The other one looked even worse so I didn't even bother to put it in my netflix queue (and that is a true insult to a movie).