How durable are the new VF-1 V2?

arrow

If you buy any recent releases you should be fine. They're very rugged toys provided you don't get an earlier version with shoulder problems. I think I originally scored the V2 like a 9 on durability before we realized the breaks waiting to happen. Now that those breaks are allegedly fixed I'd give the V2 a very high score again.

Purely my personal opinion, but I think the V2's are probably as durable as you might expect of any high end action figure.

They obviously won't stand up to rough handling [read: angry five-year-old with a Transformer], but with care and common sense, they should hold up pretty well. Personally, I've never like the way the arms transform, having to bend the tabs up and over that nub, but the latest V2's with the non-rainbow tinted canopies seem to have far looser screws, making it easier to get over the nub--at least that's the case for my VF-1A TV Kakizaki and TV VF-1S Roy.

I don't own any V1's or 1/48's to make a comparison, but I really don't think there's any durability problem with the V2's, especially the latest releases.

One thing, though. If you like to mount FAST packs onto your VF-1's, try putting a piece of cloth or paper between the radar[?] nub and the tailfins. The first time I put FAST packs onto my brand new VF-1S TV Roy, I noticed a discoloration on the tailfin. It was only mounted for like an hour or so before I removed it.

I recently acquired the v2 1D from member SIDEARMALPHA.

I've been collecting 1:48's and 1/55 Chunky Monkeys up to this point. But now that I own a v2 1:60...it's just a great toy. I love that you can remove the heads. And the nose of the jet! (You can even store the nose of the fighter on a battroid arm, as seen in Episode two. Pretty cool!

The detail is great. The build is good. But not great. You have to know where they are weak and be very, very careful when you handle them in those areas. Such as the latch that opens on the nost of the fighter that the swing bar connect into. I've seen several Valks now that have broke there. There's the infamous broken hinges on the arms, and the "glass effect" on the cockpits that are prone to scratches. Of course, the backpack connectors. The rear tail fins which now fold, and do get loose over time. Small things, but things to be aware of when you are handling/transforming your toys. Just be careful. Guess the same can be said about most toys.

But they are awesome. And it's cool to have Destroids in scale with your Valks. (Hint, Hint, Yamato) I have the weathered Destroids, and they just look amazing with the V2 1:60.

Compared to the 1/55...it's apples and oranges.

Compared to the 1/48...I still prefer the 1:48. But the v2 1:60 is still a fantastic toy. There are more of the v2 Valks than the 1:48's, and many have said the 1:48 line is dead, and the v2 1:60's are still going. So, there is that consideration as well.

My two cents.

The 1/60 V2s aren't as durable as the V1s (I never had a problem with any of mine) even when you get one without cracked shoulders BUT they are way more detailed obviously.

The 1/48s in my experience have inferior fit and finish to the 1/60 V2s but have additional features like the radar in the nose cone.

Also bear in mind newer 1/60 V2s not only have better shoulders but the newer easier(?) to use crotch system generally.

I'd say even with the shoulder problem fixed, the shoulder hinge is still a weak point that requires careful handling.

Otherwise, my VF-1S has fallen from the shelf (4 feet+) for twice, with nothing broken except for minor scratches. Too minor that I can't find them again.

If you buy any recent releases you should be fine. They're very rugged toys provided you don't get an earlier version with shoulder problems. I think I originally the V2 like a 9 on durability before we realized the breaks waiting to happen. Now that those breaks are allegedly fixed I'd give the V2 a very high score again.

Agreed. I bought the first release of the VF-1S when if first came out. It's been sitting on a shelf (never transformed) until last night. The first arm broke off with the slightest effort. The second has a visible crack just waiting! That being said, the newer releases have held up very well, thus far.

hmm...interesting.. considering i just finished collecting all of the v2 =)

Do you have them on display? I'd love to see them.

I am seriously considering army building my valks. I use to think it was silly to do that...but man. There's nothing like seeing a squad of Valks in person.

Nope not yet. Still in boxes. Getting ready for the move this feb when we can finally close on our condo. Then I cant' wait to display the collection since the wife agreed to give me a whole room for my toy collection.

You get a whole room? Lucky! I get my office and the shelf in my bedroom! Of course, I'm allowed to fly them anywhere in the house, as long as they land in one of those two territories!

I got a storage room in our apartment building. It's ok - big metal doors, solid lock, and inside it's like a really really really small room.

Nice to hear the shoulder problem is fixed on these. They deserve to be QC perfect because they really are great!

Pete

Personally, I think it's a great toy but you have to give yourself time to get used to it. When I first got my Focker Special Strike Valkyrie, I thought the toy was tricky to handle, like I had to be careful when handling it. Now, not so much. I spent a lot of time analyzing it, going over what might break, what's prone to breakage, places to hold while transforming, et al.

It's not that fragile you just have to be aware of which parts are prone to breaking and why. The tail fins on the leg? Never fold them before pulling them out. They have to be pulled straight out before you fold them inwards. It's a good idea to brace the shoulder hinge each time you move the shoulder, just to ease pressure on the hinge. I do this even on my newer releases, and the few older ones that I fixed.

With the more recent releases, starting last year(from what I noticed), Yamato loosened up some of the tolerances in specific areas to make the toy easier to handle and transform. The initial releases were sometimes way too tight, like around the top intake peg that plugs into the bottom of the chest in fighter mode. With the recent releases, after swiveling the leg down for gerwalk, to dislatch the intake peg, you can simply move the leg inwards and the movement will dislatch the peg. On the first releases, you had to either pull straight down a few centimeters, or if you were lucky, the tolerance around the intake peg wasn't too bad, and you could just push the leg inwards to dislatch.

With the missles, when removing them, always swivel them outwards before pulling them off. Didn't know this until someone pointed it out here. Not doing this may result in broken attachment holes on the wings.

Overall I found the toy to be very high quality(the shoulder hinges could have been a lot better though), has high playability, is fairly durable, and feels more solid than the 1/48. However, I find the 1/48 to be much more user friendly with regards to transformation and durability. There are simply some things the 1/48 does better and vice versa, neither is perfect and neither completely outdoes the other.

Ultimately, posing is more fun with the V2 1/60 VF-1 IMHO.

for me, the 1/60v.II COMPLETELY outclasses the 1/48, and i have lived with a 1/48 since their debut in 2001/02.

in 2008, i picked up my first 1/60v.II after holding off due to some skepticism in comparison to the 1/48,

but after getting my first hands-on with the 1/60v.II, i immediately re-boxed my long-cherished 1/48, and never looked back.

yes, for me, the improvements are THAT dramatic. the 1/60v.II is EVERYTHING i imagined my perfect VF-1 fine scale replica

to look and feel like fifteen years ago!! for me, everything about it is so precisely balanced, and remains so in all modes, to boot!

something i once thought impossible!!

if anyone would like to buy or trade something for a well-used but fully functional/complete VF-1S Focker 1/48

with applied decals and a broken (and missing)single laser barrel (three remain intact) don't hesitate

to give me a bell!! ^_^