Sure Reinhard's move was stupid, but the FPA admiral was even stupider not to fire when the enemy was 1, closer in range and 2, with broadsides. It's easier to hit a target that way. I'm surprised the admiral didn't even order potshots from extreme range.

It seems one moteif of the story, though, is that the leadership is incompitent. I'm reminded of Sun Tzu's lessons while I watch this- it seems a lot of lessons are illustrated here (For example, letting an enemy prisoner go to sow discord in his own side's ranks). Anyways, it just strikes me that every new leader we see is a moron, starting with Fork. And on that guy, they didn't even explain how a leiutenant was permitted to draw up the battle plans. He's just some nobody they pulled out of a closet- they didn't explain if he had a higherup somewhere that promoted his plan. It was just like "We have this ensign who speaks the loudest." I know the FPA admiralty doesn't like Yang, but come on- someone has to have more sense than just "We beat the enemy...what supply situation?"

And what's with introducing characters we never see again? I see names popping up under half the people that are just there for one scene and then dissapear. Many of the subbordinates and underlings of leaders suffer from this problem. But seeing as I know only half the names of the cast...

And I'm torn between getting something LoGH- resin kit or fleet box. If I get a resin Kit, I could custom paint it... seems cheaper too, and the models aren't that hard to build.

A lot of those people will show up later. The cast is huge (one of the reasons seeing a dub of this would be interesting; there are probably more characters in the show than there are voice actors in the US).

The level of incompetence on both sides is kind of the point. It does get exaggerated at a couple of points.

I bought a couple of the case of one coin ships. They're pretty cool, but tiny.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just passed ep 76. I have the feeling the series is winding down to a close now, what with the universe mostly in the kaiser's hands...

Although I have to say, the animation at the last battle of the FPA was spectactular- probably the best in the entire series.

And to fuel my fandom I put in an order at HLJ for one of the battleship kits... it's on preorder now, but I have the feeling that it might be better just to cancel and try buying one of the in-stock kits..

I'd say yes, it does.

For a while somewhere the animation took a nosedive... looked almost as if animefrined did it. Might have been because I was wathing it in the deep AM or something, but thankfully the quality picked up again to deliver one of the best space battles I've ever seen- spanning two eps even.

Still having the problem of earlier episodes downloading slower than later ones. Frustrating, but interesting all the same...

Edited by Boxer

• 3 weeks later...

if this breaks the laws of necromancy, I beg for a thousand pardons.

Well, finished the series up to as far as it's been translated.....

(spoilers)

Real sorry to see Yang get it... though appropreate that, like history, we never find the identity of the assasin. Just like JFK, MLK, and many other prominent figures I suppose. Still, in his passing it seems that Julian has taken up the mantle fairly well and I'm pleased to see the FPA fleet hasn't vanished entirely.

Still, kind of touching to see Reutal die after holding out so long for Wolfgang to show. Nothing much was said about Wolf's reaction to the baby and Reutal's last words... though I don't doubt they were touched on in the books. What I don't understand was why the Kaiser's sense didn't prevail over his head and he felt he needed to go to conflict with one of his best generals. Maybe it's because of the earlier challenge or something, but still- Reutal was one of the best men he had...

(end spoilers)

Oh yeah, and for everyone's surprise- anyone see the Trek Photon torpedoes fly by in episode 97? Probably an even bigger surprise than the nose-mounted beam gun that suddenly popped up a while back.

Edited by Boxer

• 2 weeks later...

...For whatever it's worth, the minis finally came in. So I'll review them.

As stated, they are miniatures in the very strictest sence. I've seen smaller only in navy displays... credits certainly to the sculpters who managed to pull this off. As this image shows, one can fit four FPA frigates on a single quarter:

IPB Image

The nice thing about it is, despite their size, they're nicely detailed. The entire set is, as the other review linked here pointed out, appears to be made for conventions. One gets the big box and a number of smaller packages that don't disclose the contents- obviously a collector pack thing. Two variants of most of all the ships are included- in the most case, this seems to be for the benefit of the Imperial ships (since Imperial ships have two differing house logos). FPA ships differ, mostly, in decorations on the spartanarians. I can only assume that there are some differences between other ships in other packages, since apparently markings have changed during the course of the series.

I only have two problems with them:

1. Warping. The FPA carriers (in fact, even the Impierial carriers and battleships) are warped to some degree. Am I wrong in assuming warm water and gentle bending can fix this? No chance to try that yet...

2. The small ships won't fit on the stands provided. The only ones that are able to, so far, are the Imperial destroyers (packaged together with the imperial cruisers). So for the meantime, my FPA frigates won't be 'flying'.

Other than that I consider this set well worth the money I shelled out for it. I just wish the wait haddn't been so long...

OK I've waited long enough to see this OVA. Can someone tell me what I need and where I need to go to start downloading this....mind you I'm not really computer savy, what is a Torrent? Do I need to sign up for somethng or a specific program to use it? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

OK I've waited long enough to see this OVA. Can someone tell me what I need and where I need to go to start downloading this....mind you I'm not really computer savy, what is a Torrent? Do I need to sign up for somethng or a specific program to use it? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Go to www.animesuke.com to get the files. You will need to download a bittorrent client. There are FAQs and links on that site as well that will help you with this.

Problem with playing games with them is the fact that most space battles (save two) take place between ships numbering in the thousands... not possible with ships really 1v1. After all even a spartanarian space fighter could take out an entire battleship in just a few shots... doesn't seem like LoGH ships are really designed to operate on their own- just parts of larger fleets.

That said, I don't suppose there's anything stopping me from putting this in Battlefleet Gothic or that new star wars game. Not sure if the ships are on scale, but the boxes proclaim these models are 1/12000 (with the exception of the space fighters, understandably). So they may or may not be the same scale as the star destroyer from the new SW minis game.

Another wish would be to be able to buy these individually... I wouldn't mind having an entire squadron of FPA cruisers. I already have my command squadron :D

Problem with playing games with them is the fact that most space battles (save two) take place between ships numbering in the thousands... not possible with ships really 1v1. After all even a spartanarian space fighter could take out an entire battleship in just a few shots... doesn't seem like LoGH ships are really designed to operate on their own- just parts of larger fleets.

That said, I don't suppose there's anything stopping me from putting this in Battlefleet Gothic or that new star wars game. Not sure if the ships are on scale, but the boxes proclaim these models are 1/12000 (with the exception of the space fighters, understandably). So they may or may not be the same scale as the star destroyer from the new SW minis game.

Another wish would be to be able to buy these individually... I wouldn't mind having an entire squadron of FPA cruisers. I already have my command squadron :D

I was thinking along the lines of having each mini represent multiple ships.

Please forgive my ignorance but I tried the site you recomended and I can't find thing. I typed in Legend of Galactic Heroes in the search window it just gives me links around the web for stuff that has nothing to do with this show.

Chris

Please forgive my ignorance but I tried the site you recomended and I can't find thing. I typed in Legend of Galactic Heroes in the search window it just gives me links around the web for stuff that has nothing to do with this show.

Chris

Just Google "Legend of the galactic heroes torrent". You should get thousands of hits. If you go to the torrent site and the series is not displayed, just use the site's search engine to jump to the series' download page. As mentioned before, you'll need to install one of the many bittorrent client applications in order to be able to download the individual video or episode bundles; and you may need to install some specific video codec to play them.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone, the first site that Jeleinen posted was spelled wrong with an e at the end instead of an i, and I was cutting and pasting the address, that's why I wasn't finding anything. I also already did the Google search found the series and downloaded a torrent that the site recommended....but it didn't work.

I just downloaded the Torrent that bob joe mac suggested and it seems to work, now I'll try to download the series. Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Chris

Cool, it's working...downloading as we speak. Though it's going to take about 5 hrs and I have hi-spead internet too!! Another dumb question, will I be able to watch the episodes off line using Azureus or do I have to be on line? The only way I could get it to download was to hit run instead of save. Thanks again for all the help!

Chris

you should be able to watch the file on your comp without being online azureas downloads the file to a predetermined area of your computer I set mine to the desktop where you can click on it there delete when need be or whatever. you can also I'm fairly sure right click on the file and tell it to play or open once its done.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that all the ship minis come with their own little instruction booklet. Shows where all the little bits go (yes, there are sprues provided with colored bits... most of them antenna and bridge sections), how to assemble the base, and some information on the ship (in Japanese, presumably).

That said, the Kurishuna (large ship above) is 1,159m long...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that all the ship minis come with their own little instruction booklet. Shows where all the little bits go (yes, there are sprues provided with colored bits... most of them antenna and bridge sections), how to assemble the base, and some information on the ship (in Japanese, presumably).

That said, the Kurishuna (large ship above) is 1,159m long...

Which set did you get? I picked up 1 and 6 (6 because I wanted Bittenfeld's flag ship).

Uh, I got assort 6... for the Kulishuna. A shame that huge ship only got like one scene before it blew up. Kinda like most of the characters/ships in the series... they're named, then they blow up. No better example than the Kulishuna/Appleton.

Eventually when I get the funds I want to get another set... I don't know why I'm so exited over a box of figs, but I love 'em. And I figure since we can't buy the series legit, I'll support the makers by buying import merchandise...

A shame to say that it seems HLJ is out of stock on fleet file #1 (No. 2 is out though, with some new ships). This is kinda bad for Brunhild fans, since the box set with the brunhild in it (Assort 1), is out of stock... and it also means I can't get a hold of the freighters and transport ships to support my growing navy :D

But again I wish I could order ships individually... as it is I'd like to try to freeze one of the FPA battleships in clear resin and stick on my desk.

Thanks for the heads-up on Fleet File #2! I just put my order in. It's low stock though, so I hope I can get one.

I've got the first set, and it's pretty damn nice. I just wish it had more variety, instead of coming with multiples of every ship, with slight variations. For example, it comes with two Brunhilds, and the only difference between them is the different Empire crests on them (before and after Reinhardt became emperor, I believe) And they're all like that! Hell, it comes with 4 of that squarish-looking ship. Green and black paint schemes, each with the different crest on them.

http://www.hlj.com/product/WAVAL-01

Yeah, but maybe someday I'd like every single ship in LoGH (I guess I'm that big of a fan), and having those freighters would be nice in case for some reason I wanted to make some dioramas... or just compare sizes.

And I wish I could just order at whim, but I'm a college student and there's only so far I can be an impulsive spender :(

Ack. I'm really sorry about that.

Yeah thanks for making look like a mental midget!!! :p:D . Just kidding! No worries, I appreciated all the help.

So far I got the first 8 episodes. This series is going to take a while to not only download but to watch as well!

Chris

Yeah thanks for making look like a mental midget!!! :p:D . Just kidding! No worries, I appreciated all the help.

So far I got the first 8 episodes. This series is going to take a while to not only download but to watch as well!

Chris

Same here. Some episodes just load really slowly.

Of couse, if they managed to release it only subtitled, we wouldn't have this problem...

Now I'm curious as to how and where one can find fan translations of the novels. Apparently many more vessels are named in the books, but not named in the feature. I suppose that's expected when one does a book->movie translation (lotr...) but even so, LoGH the anime doesn't dissapoint.

I wonder where I can find the side-stories. Some weird ships come from there...

Edited by Boxer

Same here. Some episodes just low really slowly.

Of couse, if they managed to release it only subtitled, we wouldn't have this problem...

Now I'm curious as to how and where one can find fan translations of the novels. Apparently many more vessels are named in the books, but not named in the feature. I suppose that's expected when one does a book->movie translation (lotr...) but even so, LoGH the anime doesn't dissapoint.

I wonder where I can find the side-stories. Some weird ships come from there...

I've only ever managed to find the first few chapters of the first book translated, and this was years ago (they've since disappeared from the net). As far as I know, there's no one translating them right now.

I've heard about the translations and tried tracking them down (from their wiki source), but got an error... they're gone. A shame too, since naturally books have more in them than anime (despite the quality of the OAV...)

And gee, mechanical file 2 dissapeared pretty quickly :) Ah well, I might grab the Ban-go next time since I'm a fan of that ship, also.

Anyone have any problems with the bends and how to fix them? FPA carriers are notorious for this. I've tried microwaving one for like 30 seconds to get it to bend right, then submerged them in water only to not have it work really... they bend back into their warped way after a few hours.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I am dragging this one back in a shameless act of necromancy, but it is deserved.

I had previously watched a handful of episodes several years ago, but for whatever reason had failed to get into the series - maybe because at that time, not all of the episodes had been fansubbed. Based partly on all of the rave reviews (and raving comments) here, I knew that at one point or another, I would have to give this series a fair shake. Accordingly, when I ran across a complete set of the Central Anime subs via bittorent many months back, I jumped on and dl'd them all.

...And man, am I glad that I did. You guys were all right. LoGH is absolutely stellar, and there is no way that I could have grasped its depth based on my initial watching of a few episodes. Despite the awesome scope and dizzying array of characters, LoGH also has an amazing degree of heart... Thanks to all here who have recommended it.

I would strongly recommend this series to anyone who hasn't seen it.

It ranks highly on the list of anime I'd recommend to people who don't normally like anime, as well. Certainly one of my all-time favourites.

Man, I tell you though, I started this series sometime in the late 90's I believe, when only the first 40 or so episodes were available on really poor quality VHS. When those VHS copies were ripped to video files, I downloaded them all and rewatched them despite the poor quality.

I started again when Central Anime first began subbing them in high quality video files, but with various things going on in my life I never did finish...until maybe two months ago. So, it was maybe 10 years for me, start to finish. There was certainly some degree of anguish as I hit the play button for that final episode.

I'm currently, between Frontier episodes, downloading the LotGH Gaiden, which I'd seen once already way, way back, on poor quality VHS. I should look and see if Central Anime has done the movies, as well.

I started again when Central Anime first began subbing them in high quality video files, but with various things going on in my life I never did finish...until maybe two months ago. So, it was maybe 10 years for me, start to finish. There was certainly some degree of anguish as I hit the play button for that final episode.

That's how the Area 88 manga was for me...I started reading it in English in 1987...and finished reading it in Japanese in 2002. There was a certain amount of satisfaction mingled with anguish at turning that last page...

I finished downloading the LoGH series a week or so ago, but I haven't started watching it yet. Can anyone tell me if Golden Wings and Prelude to a New War are important to watch in sequence? And why hasn't Central Anime done them yet...?

Edited by Gubaba

Neither are important to watch in sequence. Though they both flesh out events that are brought up over the course of the series. Isn't On Golden Wings the "LotGH Gaiden" OVA? Or is that something else entirely? I certainly won't be displeased to learn that it is, in fact, something I've not yet seen.

Neither are important to watch in sequence. Though they both flesh out events that are brought up over the course of the series. Isn't On Golden Wings the "LotGH Gaiden" OVA? Or is that something else entirely? I certainly won't be displeased to learn that it is, in fact, something I've not yet seen.

From the Central Anime forums, it certainy appears that they haven't done them yet, although one member said that there was a timed script for Golden Wings floating about somewhere...

And, according to wikipedia (*shudder*), it's a 90-minute movie...so I don't think it was part of either of the Gaiden series.

I'm currently downloading the Gaiden episodes that CA has finished, but there don't seem to be as many seeders OR leechers as there were for the main series, so it's taking a while...

LOGH was a interesting thing for me to watch I watched the first 40 or so eps before Central anime picked it up and liked it but could never finish it so I forgot nearly everything about it till central came along and released it then I followed it up until a fateful character died which shocked me so badly as the series still had a full 1/4 of it left :p life caught up with me and I decided to save the last quarter till it was all released and a few months ago I marathoned the entire series in a few weeks. Definitly one of the most epic shows I've ever to watch B)) . Currently I'm saving up the gaidens to do the similar thing with.

• 4 months later...