The one thing that I didn't understand is what was it that made the Earth cultists virtually psychotic in their murderous devotion.

This was never explained well as far as I know.

I think the Patriotic Knights Corps could have been portrayed much more realistically.

The earth cultists devotion is explained later in the series

when Julian and co. visit earth

PKC def could have been more realistic.

I think KKK/brownshirts is exactly what they were going for with the PKC. Don't forget that

they're really a Terraist organization

My problem with both the Terraists and the PKC is that they're both blatantly evil in a setting that's otherwise very gray when it comes to morality. They really just don't fit right.

I think KKK/brownshirts is exactly what they were going for with the PKC. Don't forget that

they're really a Terraist organization

My problem with both the Terraists and the PKC is that they're both blatantly evil in a setting that's otherwise very gray when it comes to morality. They really just don't fit right.

I think the series is pretty harsh towards any group that is deemed "inflexible" in its thinking. The old royalists are portrayed in a somewhat similar light, undertaking evil schemes to maintain their power at all costs.

• 2 years later...

They're rebooting Legend of the Galactic Heroes. A new anime based on the novels. Not a remake of the series directed by Noboru Ishiguro.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love LOGH and somehow feel that they really cannot top that adaption with it's use of classical soundtrack and the voice talent it assembled.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-12/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-novels-get-anime