So can anyone tell me about how good the figs are? How long are they, are they really fragile, how expensive can they get, et. all?

Downloading 5-12 as we speak. Hopefully won't be dissapointed.

The figs are really small. Volume per dollar, they make Yamato valks look like a steal.

You won't be disappointed. The story and plot gets better as the episodes advance.

The figs are really small. Volume per dollar, they make Yamato valks look like a steal.

Yeah, but aren't there supposed to be like 10-12 per box?

FYI, my torrents are comming from Central Anime. Looks like they're only up to 94 eps... or is that the total? And where can the movies be found?

Thanks for letting me know they are on a torrent system at Central ANime. WHen I have some time, I'm definitely going to download these and give them a watch. I've heard so much of the series over the years, it's a crime this series hasn't been released in North America yet. I would have purchased it by now. :angry:

Maybe soon it will become liscenced. One can hope.

Yeah, but aren't there supposed to be like 10-12 per box?

FYI, my torrents are comming from Central Anime. Looks like they're only up to 94 eps... or is that the total? And where can the movies be found?

At most they are about the size of your pinky finger, if not smaller. Also no box is going to give you what you want really, (unless you are a fast BB cruiser destroyer buff like myself)

Because LOGH is an OVA series made at the peak of the economic bubble in 1988, it has very high production values which you can clearly see from the detailed backgrounds.

I'm on episode 49 and the animation does take a nasty drop at episode 27 :( More on the level of a TV series. I'm hoping that it gets better later...

I'm on episode 49 and the animation does take a nasty drop at episode 27 :( More on the level of a TV series. I'm hoping that it gets better later...

I havn't watched the the 2nd season yet so thats a disapointment to hear. It's almost certainly due to the fact that the economic bubble burst in 1990 and the 2nd season began in 1991.

The first season was made in 1988 during times of great economic prosperity so companies had a lot of money to throw at the series.

At most they are about the size of your pinky finger, if not smaller. Also no box is going to give you what you want really, (unless you are a fast BB cruiser destroyer buff like myself)

I'm a fan of the ships in general, actually, especially the FPA ones.

And after seeing the battle sequences for this anime, I can't help but feel dissapointed I can't replicate them in any game I own... Homeworld doesn't come near the scale of space combat LoGH performs...

Now dl eps 13-20. What's the likelyhood of this ever seeing stateside? How often are 90s anime ported over nowadays?

And I wonder, any news of more? Supposetly the manga's still in continuation...

Now dl eps 13-20. What's the likelyhood of this ever seeing stateside? How often are 90s anime ported over nowadays?

Not impossible I would say :) Look at Aura Battler Dunbine. That took almost 20 years to finally get released here in the states :)

I would love to see this series released. It's about the only anime I can think of that I would really seek out if released internationally. Most anime series I get into just happens when I take the time to give something new a try. But LOGH is something that's been in the back of my mind for a while.

AN official release sure beats downloading it at 1 kb/s :)

Well if it does get liscened one of these days, I can only wonder what the stateside reaction would be. Has interest in the U.S. Ever influenced the decisions made in Japan for these kinds of things? Would LoGH imports increase because of interest? I mean, a 90+ episode OVA isn't something to shake a stick at...

And now that I'm downloading torrents by pairs, I'm finding it amusing and frustrating to see the later episodes downloading faster than the earlier ones...which means I have to wait longer before picking up where I left off...

*shrugs* I'm liking this so far...

Starship combat news http://www.star-ranger.com/Home.htm has a discussion going on in there message board about the ships now. It has a good picture showing the scale of some of the ships http://www.star-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2068

Also if you are looking for a system I would recommend Full Thrust by Ground Zero Games. It is a simple system but its sort of a Gurps of Starship Combat. The game is no longer in print but they have it downloadable for free from their site. http://www.groundzerogames.net/index.php

A 110 episode OVA...I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the concept. How did a series that lengthy not get a regular television release and become a series (until after the fact of course). The classification of LOGH as an OVA must have been due to the manner in which the productions were completed, having been made over a 9 year run rather than in bunchers of 26/36/49 episodes like most anime series.

I think this would be very viable as a license for international distribution. THe animation is certainly good enough and above average, particularly compared to a lot of the shows that are distributed over here. I think LOGH also has a much broader appeal across anime subfandoms.

Full thrust doesn't strike me as being capable enough of representing something on this scale. You'd still have to track every individual ship- not possible on boardgames, and taxing for computer games. I suppose a Homeworld Mod might solve this problem, but it would mean turning frigates into corvettes and deleting fighters while squadroning everything. Even then, when you approach numbers comperable to LoGH's ep 1-2, I at least will be encountering significant lagging.

Would be nice if they did port over LoGH and broadcasted it somewhere to show the U.S. Market how real space operas are done.

Mondamoto's post is actually quite informative- apparently boxes come with 24 or so figures. Not bad, considering the quality of the ships in the box (Some seem to be bent, but it's not a majority). Apparently 60$ a pop... might consider getting one come payday.

That is, if I'm not convinced on getting Eva 02/04....

Or even one of the bigger resin kits. They don't look that expensive... problem is HLJ doesn't seem to carry any of the Free Planets Alliance ships. Most of the ones that are left are Imperial ones that are probably leftovers from everyone else ordering the cool kits. Meh.

Edited by Boxer

When I was really into LOGH I debated converting Dream Pod 9's old Lightning strike for use in the setting. It would have required a bit of work converting unit stats, and devising a system to reflect the Energy shield technology, but once you figured that out it would operate quite nicely I think. The system would work perfectly for the type of battles you'd probably want to model, skirminshing actions involving 20~30 units a side, rather than rather than full fleet actions of 5000+ ships each side. Just a thought.

Edited by Noyhauser

You guys got me interested in checking this show out. I need to find some DVDs with English Subtitling... bootlegs I guess, since there are no official English releases.

I'd try the torrent thing but that's alot of disk space required.

A 110 episode OVA...I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the concept. How did a series that lengthy not get a regular television release and become a series (until after the fact of course). The classification of LOGH as an OVA must have been due to the manner in which the productions were completed, having been made over a 9 year run rather than in bunchers of 26/36/49 episodes like most anime series.

I think this would be very viable as a license for international distribution. THe animation is certainly good enough and above average, particularly compared to a lot of the shows that are distributed over here. I think LOGH also has a much broader appeal across anime subfandoms.

How it got released in Japan initially, is they'd take pre-orders for a season of the series (they're in "seasons" in spite of not being actually aired). They used the money from the pre-orders to produce the series. It took nearly ten years for it to all get released. They also handled the initial DVD release the same way (took pre-orders for the set and when they had enough, made the DVDs; they've since released the DVDs for individual sale). Besides the two movies, there's another 52 episodes of side stories.

The Japanese company tried for years to get a US company to license the show, but their stipulation was that the licenser had to buy the entire series. All the US companies wanted to just buy the first season and didn't want to risk paying for the whole thing if it flopped. Finally, a couple of years ago they anounced they were going to relase it in the US themselves. Unfortunately, they decided to do it like they did with the Japanease release and not many people were willing to sign up to spend $1500 on the set. So now it's back into limbo.

How it got released in Japan initially, is they'd take pre-orders for a season of the series (they're in "seasons" in spite of not being actually aired). They used the money from the pre-orders to produce the series. It took nearly ten years for it to all get released. They also handled the initial DVD release the same way (took pre-orders for the set and when they had enough, made the DVDs; they've since released the DVDs for individual sale). Besides the two movies, there's another 52 episodes of side stories.

The Japanese company tried for years to get a US company to license the show, but their stipulation was that the licenser had to buy the entire series. All the US companies wanted to just buy the first season and didn't want to risk paying for the whole thing if it flopped. Finally, a couple of years ago they anounced they were going to relase it in the US themselves. Unfortunately, they decided to do it like they did with the Japanease release and not many people were willing to sign up to spend $1500 on the set. So now it's back into limbo.

Damn. I admit, even if I REALLY liked the series, that'd be an awful sum of money to spend all at once. I'd much prefer to buy it in sections every 6 months to a year. I understand that people don't want a release if only the first season is actually going to get out. Then the fans are stuck with a first season set, knowing none of the rest of the series will ever be released. But still, that's just too much damn money to expect, especially since this series is VERY low profile here.

Up to ep 24 in the series- also watched the first movie (Since it takes place just before the series).

I'm a little miffed that HlJ isn't carrying the Ban-goo ship model (higher size), that's probably one of my favorite designs out of the entire series. All the FPA ships are just awesome (not to say the entire lineup of ships isn't.)

There are some questions that popped into my head while watching though. For one, am I alone in thinking the general military is wholy incompitent? For example, in the movie Reinheart wheeled his entire formation right in front of the enemy, and the FPA admiral is like "It must be a trap!" It's not limited to the FPA, but Fork is another example on the FPA side. How did this guy's invasion plans get approved when he's obviously some nobody with no standing? The FPA lost nearly it's entire battlefleet because of this guy who obviously has medical problems. Eh....

I also want to know how Reinheart got his own personal cruiser from the get-go. More favoritism from the emperor?

And Yang's stunt in the movie was just brilliant- but nobody saw that little cruiser comming?

Just finished watching the first two episodes. Okay, this is GOOD. Wow, this series has some potential. VERY different from your average anime. Subtle character designs, muted colors, somber tones and is that an orchestral theme I hear? :) This is the kind of anime I love. I'm definitely checking out more.

I'd like to learn more about the ships. Is there any website online that has some details about the spacecraft, particularly the names and sizes of the capital warships?

Damn. I admit, even if I REALLY liked the series, that'd be an awful sum of money to spend all at once. I'd much prefer to buy it in sections every 6 months to a year. I understand that people don't want a release if only the first season is actually going to get out. Then the fans are stuck with a first season set, knowing none of the rest of the series will ever be released. But still, that's just too much damn money to expect, especially since this series is VERY low profile here.

In Japan, the novels the anime is based on are huge. They had a fan base to draw on even before the series got made. You're right that that model just would not work over here.

Up to ep 24 in the series- also watched the first movie (Since it takes place just before the series).

I'm a little miffed that HlJ isn't carrying the Ban-goo ship model (higher size), that's probably one of my favorite designs out of the entire series. All the FPA ships are just awesome (not to say the entire lineup of ships isn't.)

There are some questions that popped into my head while watching though. For one, am I alone in thinking the general military is wholy incompitent? For example, in the movie Reinheart wheeled his entire formation right in front of the enemy, and the FPA admiral is like "It must be a trap!" It's not limited to the FPA, but Fork is another example on the FPA side. How did this guy's invasion plans get approved when he's obviously some nobody with no standing? The FPA lost nearly it's entire battlefleet because of this guy who obviously has medical problems. Eh....

I also want to know how Reinheart got his own personal cruiser from the get-go. More favoritism from the emperor?

And Yang's stunt in the movie was just brilliant- but nobody saw that little cruiser comming?

They've been fighting for about 150 years. Thinking among the military has become stagnant and on both sides most of the top brass are where they're at for political reasons rather than due to their own ability or merit.

Also, in the movie, Reinhard even admits his maneuver is just this side of stupid. He promises Kircheis he won't do something like it again.

Edited by JELEINEN

Just finished watching the first two episodes. Okay, this is GOOD. Wow, this series has some potential. VERY different from your average anime. Subtle character designs, muted colors, somber tones and is that an orchestral theme I hear?

Story gets begins to unfold with the next episode so you should be hooked by episode 3 or 4.

What i truly love most about LOGH is there are so many different stories and sub-plots happening at once. LOGH seems to draw from every genre and every theme to amass this huge universe of locations and characters. Yet despite it's overwhelming scale of events, everything is explored fully making it a very captivating and engrossing expirience.

LOGH is defintly a series of the highest calibre and intellect, mixing high productions values with profound dialogue.

I guess it's about time i got round to watching the 2nd season...

Having watched this up to ep 9, I have to say this series is more compelling than I thought it would be.

Too bad Youtube or other shareware sites don't have ep 10 and up subbed..

I'm not going to DL or torrent it, simply because my old PC would die on me if I did. :ph34r:

I'd like to learn more about the ships. Is there any website online that has some details about the spacecraft, particularly the names and sizes of the capital warships?

Currently perhaps there isn't.. but I suspect M^3 could be expanded upon in the future. :D

Just finished watching the first two episodes. Okay, this is GOOD. Wow, this series has some potential. VERY different from your average anime. Subtle character designs, muted colors, somber tones and is that an orchestral theme I hear? :) This is the kind of anime I love. I'm definitely checking out more.

www.logh.net has some info on the ships, but not a lot. Someone needs to translate the various Japanese sites that have the game stats posted. I know that a Reich cruiser is about a half a kilometer long and that the Brunhild is over a kilometer.

Story gets begins to unfold with the next episode so you should be hooked by episode 3 or 4.

What i truly love most about LOGH is there are so many different stories and sub-plots happening at once. LOGH seems to draw from every genre and every theme to amass this huge universe of locations and characters. Yet despite it's overwhelming scale of events, everything is explored fully making it a very captivating and engrossing expirience.

LOGH is defintly a series of the highest calibre and intellect, mixing high productions values with profound dialogue.

I guess it's about time i got round to watching the 2nd season...

I'd tend to agree. It's just so different from anything I expected...and that's great! The use of actual tactics in battle is amazing for an anime. They even expand it, going so far as to work the major battle over two episodes, with gains and drawbacks, engagement and withdrawal. It's amazing to see this level of detail in a combat. The animation is great too, it has a very early 90's feel.

Currently perhaps there isn't.. but I suspect M^3 could be expanded upon in the future. :D

Hehehe, that'd be great, but the lack of english information on this series makes Macross look like a domestic franchise in comparison :)

www.logh.net has some info on the ships, but not a lot. Someone needs to translate the various Japanese sites that have the game stats posted. I know that a Reich cruiser is about a half a kilometer long and that the Brunhild is over a kilometer.

Checking it out, you're right there isn't a lot of info. Regardless, it does give the scale of the ships. It seems most are as you say .5-to-1 kilometer long. That's pretty much my perception of the scale from what is shown in the anime. Thanks.

They've been fighting for about 150 years. Thinking among the military has become stagnant and on both sides most of the top brass are where they're at for political reasons rather than due to their own ability or merit.

Also, in the movie, Reinhard even admits his maneuver is just this side of stupid. He promises Kircheis he won't do something like it again.

Sure Reinhard's move was stupid, but the FPA admiral was even stupider not to fire when the enemy was 1, closer in range and 2, with broadsides. It's easier to hit a target that way. I'm surprised the admiral didn't even order potshots from extreme range.

It seems one moteif of the story, though, is that the leadership is incompitent. I'm reminded of Sun Tzu's lessons while I watch this- it seems a lot of lessons are illustrated here (For example, letting an enemy prisoner go to sow discord in his own side's ranks). Anyways, it just strikes me that every new leader we see is a moron, starting with Fork. And on that guy, they didn't even explain how a leiutenant was permitted to draw up the battle plans. He's just some nobody they pulled out of a closet- they didn't explain if he had a higherup somewhere that promoted his plan. It was just like "We have this ensign who speaks the loudest." I know the FPA admiralty doesn't like Yang, but come on- someone has to have more sense than just "We beat the enemy...what supply situation?"

And what's with introducing characters we never see again? I see names popping up under half the people that are just there for one scene and then dissapear. Many of the subbordinates and underlings of leaders suffer from this problem. But seeing as I know only half the names of the cast...

And I'm torn between getting something LoGH- resin kit or fleet box. If I get a resin Kit, I could custom paint it... seems cheaper too, and the models aren't that hard to build.