Any other "Thing" fans out there?

Prince of Darkness - I even liked Ghosts of Mars :ph34r:.

Oh Doooooooood! I just bought Prince of Darkness! I remember watching that as a kid also and kept wishing that I'd find a tank of "evil" in my church basement, lol. I felt bad for the red-head, she was cute...

Oh Doooooooood! I just bought Prince of Darkness! I remember watching that as a kid also and kept wishing that I'd find a tank of "evil" in my church basement, lol. I felt bad for the red-head, she was cute...

Have to put a bigger downer on that man. If you meant Lisa Blount as the redhead from Prince of Darkness, the actress died back in October.

Sorry man.

Have to put a bigger downer on that man. If you meant Lisa Blount as the redhead from Prince of Darkness, the actress died back in October.

Sorry man.

Lol, it's ok man, that movie was like 500 years ago. The sight of that cloaked figure and then Lisa coming out of the doorway was pretty chilling...

Love the move. skeptical about the "remake" but looking forward to it. I got to re watch it with a friend who had never seen it or heard of it, he loved it. Another fan is absorbed.

That video is awesome a good tribute to the original.

Now why couldn't the G.I. Joe movie be like this?

Because it would have been good.

The Thing and the Xenomorhps used to freak me out as a kid so what do I do? I decide to buy Dead Space, a survival horror game that has elements of The Thing, Aliens and even The Event Horizon, all rolled into a ball of nightmares. Any of you gents ever play it? I know it's like two years old but I'm a lagger...

I tried the demo like 3 times, but just couldn't get into it. I think I'd like the story a lot--I just don't like the game.

I've barely started it but I'll agree with you, in that the in-game camera is useless. Because it's a 3rd person view, it's impossible to see your surroundings properly which leaves you completely vulnerable to attack since you can't really see anything. The Thing video game was just like this, but alot of times they'd pan the camera off to the origin of the danger/attacker so you at least knew what direction your death was coming from. In Dead Space I hear noise and notice a bunch of commotion but I don't see what's going on until it's too late. They say this helplessness was intentional, to highten your fear but I cry B.S. on that one, lol. This would've been killer if it had been from a first person perspective. Nevertheless I'm scared s**tless right now lol...

Edited by myk

I've barely started it but I'll agree with you, in that the in-game camera is useless. Because it's a 3rd person view, it's impossible to see your surroundings properly which leaves you completely vulnerable to attack since you can't really see anything. The Thing video game was just like this, but alot of times they'd pan the camera off to the origin of the danger/attacker so you at least knew what direction your death was coming from. In Dead Space I hear noise and notice a bunch of commotion but I don't see what's going on until it's too late. They say this helplessness was intentional, to highten your fear but I cry B.S. on that one, lol. This would've been killer if it had been from a first person perspective. Nevertheless I'm scared s**tless right now lol...

The game was really creepy for me, but I agree the camera angels were frustrating....

anyways I'm about finished with the novel adaption and so far it's been really good. Lots of differences from the film that I found surprising.

The game was really creepy for me, but I agree the camera angels were frustrating....

anyways I'm about finished with the novel adaption and so far it's been really good. Lots of differences from the film that I found surprising.

Yeah, most of the time I'm staring at the main characters shoulder, trying to figure out what he's looking at-pretty stupid.

So the book is surprising, you say? In a good way, or a bad way? Next paycheck I'm sooo getting that book.

Is it scary like the movie? :unsure:

Edited by myk

Yeah, most of the time I'm staring at the main characters shoulder, trying to figure out what he's looking at-pretty stupid.

So the book is surprising, you say? In a good way, or a bad way? Next paycheck I'm sooo getting that book.

Is it scary like the movie? :unsure:

The book is surprising in a good way, some things are better played out than they were in the film but I won't spoil it for you =D

The book is surprising in a good way, some things are better played out than they were in the film but I won't spoil it for you =D

Dammit! Lol, I can't wait...

I'll share a few things

first of all Window's character is known as "Sanders" glad they didn't keep that name in the movie.

Macready isn't present in the opening scene with the Norwegians and the dog, he is introduced after.

Characters with different deaths: Bennings, Copper, Fuchs, Windows, and Nauls

Ordered a copy, although I completely forgot that the book was published in '82-had to go dig around for a copy on amazon; I can only hope the book is readable at least...

You guys have to go out to see it to support a fellow MacrossWorlder!

I worked on it here in Toronto. They brought me in to design the alien spaceship. Look for Zentradi influences in the set! It was great and creepy to walk through those hallways dressed as it was back in the 80s when I saw it as a kid and it freaked me out. There was so much physical effects that I think it will make the difference.

I worked on it here in Toronto. They brought me in to design the alien spaceship. Look for Zentradi influences in the set! It was great and creepy to walk through those hallways dressed as it was back in the 80s when I saw it as a kid and it freaked me out. There was so much physical effects that I think it will make the difference.

I'm a tad confused here, are you saying you worked on the prequel?

Another reason to revere Master Cheng. That fraking rocks, man - congrats. Hopefully, after the movie comes out, you can share some tender nuggets of info with us. Is this why we haven't seen any buildups lately? ^_^ I'm excited to see where they take this. A big part of my faith (at least hope) is everything I've heard about using practical effects. It's what keeps the JC version creepy. I Netflixed it recently and the effects don't look dated. Nowadays, it's ALL CG, and it's hard to suspend disbelief.

It was great and creepy to walk through those hallways dressed as it was back in the 80s when I saw it as a kid and it freaked me out. There was so much physical effects that I think it will make the difference.

I think I would've curled into a ball and started crying...

I'm a tad confused here, are you saying you worked on the prequel?

Yep! It was so much fun. Also to see all the real physical effects and monster creatures in latext foam. Actually they are back in town to do "re-shoots" although I'm not involved on that. It's been pushed back. Got some amazing photos, but can't release anything ;-( Just tell everyone to go out and see it when it premiers!

Yep! It was so much fun. Also to see all the real physical effects and monster creatures in latext foam. Actually they are back in town to do "re-shoots" although I'm not involved on that. It's been pushed back. Got some amazing photos, but can't release anything ;-( Just tell everyone to go out and see it when it premiers!

dude, that is so awesome! Seriously, this coming from an avid fan hehe :D

Now I have some questions I hope you wouldn't mind answering, and don't worry I'm not going to ask you to give away any spoilers, I can wait for the movie.

1. So how did you get involved in the project?

2. Who did you work with directly, and what was it like?

3. You said that you had a lot of zentraedi influence for the interior of the ship design, were there any other influences and if so what were they?

4. Based on what you saw, do you think fans of JC's film will be satisfied with the prequel?

5. Are there any designs that stand out, kind of like Rob Bottin's Norris spider head?

6. As I have done my research on this film for months now, I have come to realize that there seemed to be a lot of passion and real dedication to it, do you think there was based on what you saw?

7. Do you have any advice for those who would also like to work on a movie some day?

finished reading it last night so I went ahead and did a review

if you're interested. You can read it here

I like the movie a lot when i saw it back in the day (JC really knows how to create a creepy atmosphere, huh?) and after reading your review I might give this a shot.

Hey Happy,

1. So how did you get involved in the project?

They called me. Its a pretty small community of film designers in Toronto, so whenever anything slightly sci-fi comes along, they call - thats the nice part of working yourself into a niche (the bad is no one calls you for anything else!).

2. Who did you work with directly, and what was it like?

Worked mostly for the Production Designer - Sean Haworth (amazing guy, just came off of art directing Tron and Avatar). He loves toys and knows about Macross. He oversees the entire visual language for the film and works closely with the director to ensure we have both of their visions translated onto film.

3. You said that you had a lot of zentraedi influence for the interior of the ship design, were there any other influences and if so what were they?

Tons, hard to pick out any single influences, but of course Alien/Gieger was thrown around. We just started to look at everything! If you could pick out the individual references then it would be plagiarism and we'd run into problems with copyright and legal. Sean had a few of L.A.'s best illustrators working beforehand to conceptualize a lot of the Alien environments too before I came on, then when I started to design and translate some of those ideas into built form, we had a constant dialog of back and forth, when I came up with an idea, we'd send the 3D models to LA for a rendering/illustration to be made and then we present the idea to get studio and director approval.

4. Based on what you saw, do you think fans of JC's film will be satisfied with the prequel?

It's pretty hard to judge working on it and being so close to it, I naturally think its amazing. However reading the script from the beginning so many times, I don't have any of the sense of suspense or surprise that is required with such a film. We watched and still captured the original JC film so many times (it was really done on the cheap) - but we were definitely faithful to it when the situations required it. With such a fan base already, its hard to appease the die hards, because nothing can live up to your minds expectations. Also todays film production climate, with all the different parties, individuals, studios, egos involved, its more like movies by committee - so one has to take into account the sheer up-hill battle to get any project even green-lit. That being said, I would like to think that the art department's efforts to stay true to the original "look" of the film will definitely please the fans. Everyone who is a fan that has walked through the hallways have always mentioned the chills they get.

5. Are there any designs that stand out, kind of like Rob Bottin's Norris spider head?

I just saw the effects shops creations from time to time, but wasn't involved in that department. They were certainly cool from what I saw, I was mostly concerned with the built sets.

6. As I have done my research on this film for months now, I have come to realize that there seemed to be a lot of passion and real dedication to it, do you think there was based on what you saw?

Definitely YES!

7. Do you have any advice for those who would also like to work on a movie some day?

Find out what department of the film you'd like to work on. I work in the Art Department. Then find out which union is responsible for that department and apprentice or apply as a trainee to that union and look for work on film in those entry positions. This is rather location dependent as I only work on shows that come up to Toronto to film. Depending on your home town, you may need to move to one of the production centers in North America to get consistent work. I personally went to University and graduated with an Architecture Degree. I found out a lot of my childhood heros such as Star Wars illustrators and concept artists had architectural backgrounds like Syd Mead (the futurist concept artist for Blade Runner). So I followed that direction, after working as a design architect for a few years in a design firm, I side-stepped into film by joining the union (Director's Guild of Canada) up here and started blind calling their members lists and lucked into a few jobs until you're name starts to get out there and people begin to know you and what you do.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for answering my questions :D

now could you please tell me your name so I can include it and credit you , cause I definitely want to share this with the

guys on outpost 31 and hopefully in a future blog post

about the movie.

Thanks again, now I've got even more of a reason to look forward to

the prequel, cause I met someone who was part of it! ^_^