Battle: Los Angeles

Snail00

Saw the movie today. I was a bit underwhelmed. For an invasion force, they have a really infantry heavy ground force. There wasn't anything particularly impressive, though that missile launcher was alright. It behaved more like a towed gun though, and not a real walker.

at least you know why the aliens are there.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

I wouldn't if I were you... (and remember - you were warned)

Ok so I took another look the DVD and the posted vid 10 posts up are one in the same, Looks like something first year media students would put out.

Saw the movie today. I was a bit underwhelmed. For an invasion force, they have a really infantry heavy ground force. There wasn't anything particularly impressive, though that missile launcher was alright. It behaved more like a towed gun though, and not a real walker.

Underwhelming is exactly how I'd describe it. The aliens and their tech was not very impressive or scary.

On a side note, they really need to stop making alien invasion movies where the bad guys have such critical weak points to be exploited.

"Hey guys, let's blow up this one special thing so the entire alien air force becomes useless!"

On a side note, they really need to stop making alien invasion movies where the bad guys have such critical weak points to be exploited.

"Hey guys, let's blow up this one special thing so the entire alien air force becomes useless!"

They did. It was called Skyline. Everybody died. It sucked and was a horrible movie.

I get the impression that the ET's were hired guns or simply "grown" bio-weapons designed to just soften up the planet first. Presumably any civilization capable of interstellar travel would have the ability to hit Earth from orbit, yet they choose an amphibious landing as their plan of attack. Oh well, wouldn't be much of a movie with orbital strikes :D .

Another observation is that scale-wise these aggressors posses less sizeable military hardware than the aliens from say ID4, even their command & control node wasn't that big and fell to just 1 missile. Yet, there is a heavy emphasis showing the aliens in squads terrorizing LA. Perhaps this is to juxtapose the invaders against their USMC adversaries, who do not always posses the heaviest and most powerful gear but are more grunt-based (mean this is in a respectful way).

Contrary to some beliefs, its possible to make a movie where everyone dies without it being crap, On the Beach is one example.

Don't forget Hamlet. (sure it's a play, but it's had a zillion movie versions.)

I was going to list another scifi movie but it's slipped from my mind now.

I get the impression that the ET's were hired guns or simply "grown" bio-weapons designed to just soften up the planet first. Presumably any civilization capable of interstellar travel would have the ability to hit Earth from orbit, yet they choose an amphibious landing as their plan of attack. Oh well, wouldn't be much of a movie with orbital strikes :D .

I don't know throw in an Island smashing mile and a bit long alien space craft and a singing Chinese girl who likes pilots and we are onto a winner :)

Talk about damning with faint praise.

HAHA, it was fine man. Didn't whip it out, but it was fine. This is my rating scale of SCI-FI films w/ this film included:

Total pooch screw ---------------------------- Eh -------------------------------- OMG BEST MOVIE EVER

1 ---------- 2 ------------ 3 -------------- 4 -- 5 ------------ 6 ---------------- 7 ---- 8 ------ 9

1. Battlefield Earth

2. Any LOTR movie

3. Star Trek the Motion Picture

4. Transfmers 2

5. Battle: LA

6. Any Terminator film other than 1

7. Terminator

8. Predator

9. TIE: SW ep3 ROTS / SW ep 5 ESB

Does that help?

HAHA, it was fine man. Didn't whip it out, but it was fine. This is my rating scale of SCI-FI films w/ this film included:

Total pooch screw ---------------------------- Eh -------------------------------- OMG BEST MOVIE EVER

1 ---------- 2 ------------ 3 -------------- 4 -- 5 ------------ 6 ---------------- 7 ---- 8 ------ 9

1. Battlefield Earth

2. Any LOTR movie

3. Star Trek the Motion Picture

4. Transfmers 2

5. Battle: LA

6. Any Terminator film other than 1

7. Terminator

8. Predator

9. TIE: SW ep3 ROTS / SW ep 5 ESB

Does that help?

LOL

When I saw that you had replied I was thinking you'd be saying something like, Hah !! I could have killed em all by myself, and with no guns.

That said your scale kinda works for me too,a few tweaks and we'd be the same :)

Just watched Battle of Los Angeles. The first 10 minutes or so were ok, but then it all went downhil. Bad acting, bad dialogue, sloppy sentimentalism and to top it all off, crappy mechanical designs. The alien ship looks like something made out of assorted junk. I mean, if you're making a blockbuster with 70 million bucks you can at least have some good designs.

Just watched Battle of Los Angeles. The first 10 minutes or so were ok, but then it all went downhil. Bad acting, bad dialogue, sloppy sentimentalism and to top it all off, crappy mechanical designs. The alien ship looks like something made out of assorted junk. I mean, if you're making a blockbuster with 70 million bucks you can at least have some good designs.

Go watch skyline then comeback.

Go watch skyline then comeback.

Why does he have to watch another film to make up his mind about this one? Like I said this movie wasn't horrible but it's not great.

If you guys didn't enjoy this movie, go see Paul. There's more of a chance you'll enjoy that Alien movie.

How can you be so right and so wrong all in one line? I'll grant that Episode 3 was far far better then the other prequals, but that really isn't saying much. The whiney Darth Vader bit just killed it.

Yeah well, thats like your opinion man

I'm NEVER going to go see a movie with you. <_<

HAHA. Do you remember when I was planning on fighting Godmedia to the death, while completely naked, covered in baby oil wearing only a viking helmet?

How can you be so right and so wrong all in one line? I'll grant that Episode 3 was far far better then the other prequals, but that really isn't saying much. The whiney Darth Vader bit just killed it.

Nope, I'll fully support that. Ep3 is easily a tie for best SW movie with Empire. There's bad acting all abound, but it couldn't hold the awesomeness of either movie down.

Any mention of SWep3 in the same sentence with "good" shows evidence of heavy emotional and physical trauma inflicted upon the poster, possibly victim to enhanced interrogation techniques at the Skywalker "Ranch", including but not limited to waterboarding, electric shocks, sleep deprivation via marathon episode I to III viewings, and demonstrations of Turkish Film-making techniques: