Robotech Macross Saga Remaster

treatment

Oh man that's brutal on the fans who bought the original DVDs and were told they couldn't be remastered but this has me curious

New footage featuring scenes cut from the original broadcast

version of Robotech has been added and also featuring new opening and

closing credits and eye catches, creating a never-before-seen version of

this seminal adventure series.

Edited by dejr8bud

Oh man that's brutal on the fans who bought the original DVDs and were told they couldn't be remastered but this has me curious

Hmmm...I wonder if they'll finally give some story/design credit to Studio Nue and Artland?

Nahhh.

Hmmm...I wonder if they'll finally give some story/design credit to Studio Nue and Artland?

Nahhh.

lol I doubt that.... but I wonder if ADV is recutting the originals into Robotech.

I'd just like to send out a big "LOL" to all those who bought the 1st Ed. release from ADV. :lol:

Sold mine when I got all the SDF Animeigo mini box sets. I'm RT tolerant (used to be a fan long ago) but I've no intrest in the new so-called remaster. <_<

~G25

lol I doubt that.... but I wonder if ADV is recutting the originals into Robotech.

Yeah they'll probably just splice some or all of the violent/nudity footage back into Robotech, and call it a "Special Edition Director's Cut." Then they'll interview Carl Macek, and he'll ramble on about how crappy the original Japanese versions were and how he "saved" them in his incarnation.

Then, all of the Robotechies will cream their jeans and say "Wow! This is how Robotech should have been all along." :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I wonder about the Macross portion of Robotech. Will they *ahem* borrow the restored footage from Animeigo, or will they re-restore it themselves?

well i dont know what to make of this. love rt etc etc but its only been what a 1yr? 2yrs? since the last rls. this is just blatant milking when what they should have done was rls this edition to begin with. i wouldnt feel so let down if they offered a trade-in program but of course that never happens. oh well.

:angry: to say the least.

Seriously, this is f@#%-ing ridiculous! I mean, wtf! I've tried to be neutral on this whole issue because I love RT (and Macross) and I don't think HG's particularly evil, but COME ON!

There is no reason for this, none at all except to milk even more money. Why didn't they release this way back when instead? This is a blatant slap in the face to fans who bought the first ADV release (like me).

Between this, and the dearth of RT:BISI info (Robotech: Believe It when I See It) its really starting to become hard to retain any sort of consumer goodwill towards HG........

I don't get the bitching, if you don't want to pay more then don't, easy as that.

Yes, I would of been ALOT better if they did this to begin with, but they didn't no point in crying about it now.

Better to have the option, than none at all.

Remember when we all bought this all 3 years ago FROM ANIMEIGO!

-New intro? $20 says it's the original Macross intro.

-New Eyecatches? Bet they're the Macross eyecatches as well.

-Extended scenes? Obvious

Question being though, did they round up the robotech VA's to fill in those vocal gaps? Did they perhaps splice in some of the original music? This is all very interesting.

Mayhaps I'll take this opportunity to e-mail ADV and see if I can purchase the sentinels DVD by istelf under the guise of not wanting to buy the old sets with the remaster coming up....

I don't get the bitching,

1) Fans were supposedly told there would not be any remastering. Period.

2) These new editions come out how soon after the 1st Edition discs?

3) The "new" footage is a bit much, IMHO. Just more "special edition" crap to grab the fan's cash.

HG had better stop milking that cash cow. It's teats are sore and bleeding. <_<

First they bitch cause the quality of the DVD's suck, now they bitch because they are gonna remaster them.

I guess people will always eat cheese.

I think the idea is they should have remastered them in the first place... To wait till everyone has the crap DVDs then release the remastered ones is just fuct.

Looks like they took a page out of just about every other DVD release done over the last couple of years.  This is nothing new and doesn't surprise at all.  No one's going to force you to take the money out of your wallet.

Like what other dvd release from who in the last couple of years?

try to limit it to anime.

Edited by treatment

I hope someone does a real good job of ripping the remastered DVDs and puts them up on some file sharing network.

I'd like to burn em to vcd and give them away at comic shows just to keep HG from makin a dime.

*wrylac is correct in that it has been standard hollywood to put something out, then 6 months later put out the remastered version/special edition. The difference is most companies will let you know ahead of time that there is a remastered version comming. HG didn't however... I love piracy.

Ladic Posted on Nov 19 2003, 03:05 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't get the bitching, if you don't want to pay more then don't, easy as that.

Yes, I would of been ALOT better if they did this to begin with, but they didn't no point in crying about it now.

This is the most inane line of reasoning ever. Its the same as saying crap product is better than none at all, so consumers have no right to criticize merchandise because they should be thankful that they even have the option to buy anything. (This argument comes up often when the new RT comics are criticized) Talk about a supply-sider theory......... :rolleyes:

bsu legato Posted on Nov 19 2003, 03:11 PM

1) Fans were supposedly told there would not be any remastering. Period.

2) These new editions come out how soon after the 1st Edition discs?

3) The "new" footage is a bit much, IMHO. Just more "special edition" crap to grab the fan's cash.

HG had better stop milking that cash cow. It's teats are sore and bleeding. 

Eloquently put Bsu. Simple and too the point.

Look, I'm definately gonna be voting with my dollars. The option (and subsequent decision) to simply not buy these new sets occured to me as soon as I heard of them. That doesn't mean that there's no room for legitimate criticism of this move. This move is nothing other than milking the cow....unless they've animated a significant amount of entirely new sequences to include, there's absolutely no reason this wasn't the initial release.

HG, move on stop milking the fans and put out a new, quality product (like this oft rumored RT 2004....soon to be RT 2005).

Edited by CAG

Hey, don't get me wrong. My ire isn't limited to the HG/ADV combine. If Animeigo announced tomorrow that they'd release a new version of their Macross set, I'd be just as mad. In fact, I've put off buying many a DVD because I'd suspected that there'd be a newer, better version at some point, especially when it comes to older films. It's just that in this case, there's so little space between the two releases.

Looks like they took a page out of just about every other DVD release done over the last couple of years.  This is nothing new and doesn't surprise at all.  No one's going to force you to take the money out of your wallet.

Not anime, but X-Men.......X-Men 1.5

It is pretty typical of DVD companies in the U.S. to pull crap like this. If you think this is bad, wait until SW Ep. 3 is done. I bet less than a year after the 6 disc SW Boxed Set is released, they come out with the "Super, terrific, lots of extras edition" (Alright, that name's probably only gonna be for the Japanese release, over here it'll be the Directors Edition or the Special Edition, or something equally pretentious like that.)

In the end, I'm in the boat with the "who cares?" people. If it's just footage from the original animes they work into it,

a) Those of us who have seen the original SDF Macross have already seen it.

b) It'll probably come out like crap because they obviously still can't leave EVERYTHING in.

and if it's all new footage they make themselves, well, you KNOW that'll suck.....so who cares? :p

I talked to Tom Bateman in the IRC chat. It's more footage from the original shows that was dubbed in 1984-1985. They're putting these scenes into the show. He didn't say what it was, but it's "more the violence" than nudity or ethnic gesture.

I'm selling my Macross Saga and Masters individual discs and I'll keep the extras. I've got Macross Saga and Masters on LD, which is overkill for Robotech.

*Clears throat*

NINJA SCROLL AND DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS!!!

Sorry. I get salty from the double dipping that's a trend these days.

*Clears throat*

NINJA SCROLL AND DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS!!!

Sorry. I get salty from the double dipping that's a trend these days.

Well, Ninja Scroll 10th-anniversary edition clearly had alot more additional features (DTS/6.1/ws/fs) over the original dvd-release, even tho both versions were from Mangle. So it's a different release-class altogether from ADV's upcoming Robotech-remaster.

I'm not sure about Doomed Megalopolis as I never was interested in it. And, heck, it's from ADV, too, anyway. The one releasing this Robotech re-masters next year.

Not anime, but X-Men.......X-Men 1.5

Point of order: A more extensive 2-disc X-Men release was hinted at, by both Fox and Bryan Singer, even before the original release (and hence, I didn't buy that one). The only problem I have with X-Men 1.5 is that it falls short of what was promised then, namely a new cut of the movie incorporating bridging material to be filmed during the X2 shoot. Wish they'd done that.

This Robotech:SE stuff, though - this $#!@ is f#@$!ed up!

the bitching is quite simple. fans plunked down a fair amount of money to buy all the boxsets to get RT. now we're told hey a new and improved set is coming. well gee don't i feel like a chump for supporting them to begin with. let me ask you take your favourite series..would you be happy with a grainy version or a new and improved restored edition?

no point in crying? it would be far worse to say nothing and have them assume what they did was perfectly ok.

there is no option at this point unless ADV offers a trade-in program. for fans of the show their only option is to plunk out more $ to get the version that they should have received n the first place