Final Fantasy XIII

I'm very disappointed how Lionheart looks. I expected kind of a glowing blue gunblade or something, you know? It's simply a recolor of the Hauteclair.

You and me both.

Hmmn. I've decided on the final weapons for 3 of my "fave four" characters. Light's the one I'm not sure on. My main concern is "wasting" components before the final boss. Currently my most powerful weapon is a Blaze Fire Lvl *. But at this point, abilities out-weigh stats for any entry-level weapon. Currently using Axis Blade, seeing if the ATB charge/speed makes it worth it. (some people consider it to be the best weapon at the end)

Also--I just found out that apparently Lightning's ultimate weapon will have the Hauteclair/Lionheart look to it regardless. That sucks, as it's probably my least-favorite design. (mainly because it just plain doesn't look like it could possibly fold up like it's supposed to)

Hmmn. I've decided on the final weapons for 3 of my "fave four" characters. Light's the one I'm not sure on. My main concern is "wasting" components before the final boss. Currently my most powerful weapon is a Blaze Fire Lvl *. But at this point, abilities out-weigh stats for any entry-level weapon. Currently using Axis Blade, seeing if the ATB charge/speed makes it worth it. (some people consider it to be the best weapon at the end)

Also--I just found out that apparently Lightning's ultimate weapon will have the Hauteclair/Lionheart look to it regardless. That sucks, as it's probably my least-favorite design. (mainly because it just plain doesn't look like it could possibly fold up like it's supposed to)

Huh? Omega weapon looks like the hauteclair? That sucks. Disappointing. Yeah its my least favorite design too. I prefer it be like the gladius/helter-skelter any day.

My experience with axis blade so far, i could only get the ATB charged 1 bar, which isn't much to me. I rather have the damage that the axis blade lacks.

I've got conflicting info on if it's identical or just similar. As for Axis Blade---it seems that it's not that good early on, but for post-game, the attack rate can double or nearly triple with the right accessories, making for insane stagger-bar-charging, and just damage in general. (that late in the game, a couple hundred STR isn't going to be that much of a difference)

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here...

Um, I've heard that FFXIII has major linearity issues; the IGN review basically states that you'll be trudging from one dungeon to the next with absolutely no option of exploring the different place in the world map...in fact, there isn't even a world map.

Truth to be known, I'm undecided whether to get this game or either Yakuza 3 or Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Replay value means a lot to me due to the prices of these PS3 games (can't divert too much cash from my Macross funds :lol: ). Unfortunately, the linearity could really lower FFXIII's replay value, since without the ability to explore the world, you'd be basically put on a guided tour of the story with with each playthrough, without the ability to make any detours.

So, how does FFXIII measure up in terms of replay value? Is it the kind of game you'll only be playing once, before tossing it in the attic?

IMO, as far as FF games go, the only one with any replay value at all was FFXII with its huge non-linear world map and Hunter's (?) Guild sidequests. It was the only FF that I replayed more than twice.

So, is FFXIII any good in that area?

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here...

Um, I've heard that FFXIII has major linearity issues; the IGN review basically states that you'll be trudging from one dungeon to the next with absolutely no option of exploring the different place in the world map...in fact, there isn't even a world map.

Truth to be known, I'm undecided whether to get this game or either Yakuza 3 or Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Replay value means a lot to me due to the prices of these PS3 games (can't divert too much cash from my Macross funds :lol: ). Unfortunately, the linearity could really lower FFXIII's replay value, since without the ability to explore the world, you'd be basically put on a guided tour of the story with with each playthrough, without the ability to make any detours.

So, how does FFXIII measure up in terms of replay value? Is it the kind of game you'll only be playing once, before tossing it in the attic?

IMO, as far as FF games go, the only one with any replay value at all was FFXII with its huge non-linear world map and Hunter's (?) Guild sidequests. It was the only FF that I replayed more than twice.

So, is FFXIII any good in that area?

Its nothing like 12....and if you're looking for something like 12, 13 isn't for you. Actually FF games aren't exactly replayable per se. Long gaming hours yes, but replayable, not really. And yes i loved 12 like you for the reasons you stated. :)

If i had to describe FFXIII in a few words, i'd say its "RPG lite.....for the general casual gamer to get into easily".

I wanna replay Chrono Trigger now because of the bad taste 13 left in me.

Edited by wolfx

Its nothing like 12....and if you're looking for something like 12, 13 isn't for you. Actually FF games aren't exactly replayable per se. Long gaming hours yes, but replayable, not really. And yes i loved 12 like you for the reasons you stated. :)

If i had to describe FFXIII in a few words, i'd say its "RPG lite.....for the general casual gamer to get into easily".

I wanna replay Chrono Trigger now because of the bad taste 13 left in me.

Heheh, then I guess the battle's down to Yakuza 3 and Star Ocean. I've been a FF fan since 7, and from what I've read in the reviews, 13 seems to be the furthest removed thing from the things that made FF what it is.

FF X was about 100% linear. You start in Besaid, and head north until Zanarkand. Then the game's over. There's a few short side-tracks, like Lake Macalania and the Al-Bhed desert, but that's about it. You'd never leave the "main road heading north" except for 30 sec excursions to find a treasure chest in the weeds. Yet I didn't see nearly as many complaints as I do about the exactly-the-same-process in FF XIII.

Not replayable? There's never been a FF game that wasn't highly replayable IMHO. And if you want "monster-hunting-quests"---FF XIII blows away all the previous ones AFAIK.

XIII is just like X, but with an even faster battle system. It's the same team, same ideas/design---very obviously so. (in fact, in a few sections it almost seems like a rip-off of X). So--did you like FF X?

In X you could always stop travelling the main path and divert yourself to the huge dungeons to level up or gain your ultimate weapons. You could also return to the towns that you have passed to do some side quests. Heck X has blitzball! :p

Not so for XIII.

In the latest GI (read at Dentist's office, not a subscriber - need to clarify that), there was an interview with the FFXIII designers. They thought that the static turn based system would have looked awkward on the current generation consoles, and to take full advantage of the hardware improvements since XII, they decided to go for a faster paced action&rpg hybrid.

A flashback to the past in 2006, this was the 1s trailer for FFXIII.

Notice that the battle system was changed very significantly and dare i say not as impressive as the 1s trailer. Looking back now though the 1s trailer felt more like a proof-of-concept cinematic rather than a working game engine.

Also Lightning's anti-grav device seemed to play a more important role in the POC's battle engine compared to the final game, which was only featured in the cinematics. Pity. :(

Edited by wolfx

All the ultimate weapons and big dungeons only occur at the end, just like FF XIII. Can't backtrack easily in FF X until you get the airship at the end.

I believe there was a teleport mechanism in X? Its been years since i touched it so I can't remember very well. And i was sure that there were early dungeons in X that you didn't need to go to, and was a diversion from the main story. I remember dying in some of them due to being underleveled.

I believe there was a teleport mechanism in X? Its been years since i touched it so I can't remember very well.

I think you're thinking about the teleport spheres in the sphere grid. Before the airship, the only way to get around was to go forward or back a path, and there's the water-faring giant-elephant thing to take you to certain places.

Edited by shiroikaze

For people who have issues with the linear gameplay it is also addressed in the newest issue of GI. Basically for those who know the story you are on the run pretty much most of the game. Creators figured it didn't make much sense to let you openly explore towns and such since you are being hunted all the way through to chapter 11, where the game opens up more.

Heck, I'm surprised you're allowed to buy things after the first couple chapters! Kinda expected "all e-kiosks shut down to known fugitives" or something.

And really, there shouldn't be any deliveries of new items at all in ch 11, it really doesn't make sense there...

I think you're thinking about the teleport spheres in the sphere grid. Before the airship, the only way to get around was to go forward or back a path, and there's the water-faring giant-elephant thing to take you to certain places.

I believe the giant elephant was called a Shoooooopuff. Wow, can't believe I still remember that.

On Chapter 10 and I upgraded my Gladius to Helter Skelter, looks all right I guess a blue blade with gold accents. Still I miss the ridiculously large weapons that would be too heavy to wield for anyone besides Superman from past FF's, next up is Fang and the red double bladed staff (forgot name) to get transformed.

Edited by chen

For people who have issues with the linear gameplay it is also addressed in the newest issue of GI. Basically for those who know the story you are on the run pretty much most of the game. Creators figured it didn't make much sense to let you openly explore towns and such since you are being hunted all the way through to chapter 11, where the game opens up more.

I like how Square-Enix has two explanations for everything. ;)

Heck, I'm surprised you're allowed to buy things after the first couple chapters! Kinda expected "all e-kiosks shut down to known fugitives" or something.

And really, there shouldn't be any deliveries of new items at all in ch 11, it really doesn't make sense there...

Unless Lightning shocks/kicks them for items :ph34r:.

Someone remind me, is shopping done all from the menu or are there actually stores along the way?

I believe the giant elephant was called a Shoooooopuff. Wow, can't believe I still remember that.

Took me a trip to Wikipedia to remind me what it was called. Shoopuff... Ride ze Shooopuff?

All shopping is like in Mass Effect 2. You go up to the glowing thing, hit X, and select what you want from the list. Then it instantly appears in your inventory. Only, everywhere carries everything. Kind of like O'aka in FFX. If you really look there are a few physical shops in the game--but you can't go in them and actually buy stuff. (they probably wouldn't sell to you anyways, for plot reasons)

FF X was about 100% linear. You start in Besaid, and head north until Zanarkand. Then the game's over. There's a few short side-tracks, like Lake Macalania and the Al-Bhed desert, but that's about it. You'd never leave the "main road heading north" except for 30 sec excursions to find a treasure chest in the weeds. Yet I didn't see nearly as many complaints as I do about the exactly-the-same-process in FF XIII.

Not replayable? There's never been a FF game that wasn't highly replayable IMHO. And if you want "monster-hunting-quests"---FF XIII blows away all the previous ones AFAIK.

XIII is just like X, but with an even faster battle system. It's the same team, same ideas/design---very obviously so. (in fact, in a few sections it almost seems like a rip-off of X). So--did you like FF X?

Well, among all the FF's I've ever played, X is the one game I hated with a passion. Annoying protagonist, super-linearity, and while the graphics were mind-blowing (at the time, for a relatively new PS2), I found the plot somewhat confusing, what with the whole thing about Tidus and his dad being from the dream world of some hibernating ancient race, and all of it being haphazardly overlay-ed onto the Yuna vs. Sin plot. It was never even explained why Jecht and Tidus were sucked into the real world in the first place (or did I miss something in the plot?).

From what I've heard, at least the protagonist for XIII has a pretty cool chick named Lightning, and I don't think there might ever be a lead character in the history of FF past and present that will ever be as annoying as Tidus.

Basically, I liked FFXII for the overall atmosphere, from the beautifully rendered underground city to the vast forests and ruins. And I loved the fact that you could explore them at any time, at any stage of the game.

It takes a lot out of a RPG if you're not allowed to explore the world.

I guess the big question is, is there anything else to do in FFXIII besides playing through to advance the story? I mean, VII has all those crazy games at that giant carnival thing (Golden Saucer?), and both VIII and IX had card games. Heck, even X has blitzball while XII had the Hunter's Guild. What about XIII?

Are there any hidden quests you could go on to get ultimate weapons and armor, or people you could talk to to unlock specific side-quests and/or character development? You know, standard RPG stuff; something that gives you a reason to play it a second time or third time.

Edited by GU-11

X and XIII are basically polar opposites to XII. People tend to either like X/XIII and dislike XII, or the opposite.

Why Tidus exists in the real world? Because he's being dreamed into existence, more or less. When the dream ends, so does he.

XIII sidequests---pretty standard fare. Ultimate weapons and monster hunts, many of which are so "extreme" they'll take 50 hours beyond the point where you could win the game. That's about it though.

X and XIII are basically polar opposites to XII. People tend to either like X/XIII and dislike XII, or the opposite.

I must be the exception to the rule, as I actually like all three games. Now if they'll only make a game that's a combination of the three.

I must be the exception to the rule, as I actually like all three games. Now if they'll only make a game that's a combination of the three.

Chalk me up as another who likes all three. I'm getting my butt handed to me in FFXII as we speak =\ I'll chase after the FFXIII bandwagon once I (almost) finish the previous game.

Edited by shiroikaze

Why Tidus exists in the real world? Because he's being dreamed into existence, more or less. When the dream ends, so does he.

XIII sidequests---pretty standard fare. Ultimate weapons and monster hunts, many of which are so "extreme" they'll take 50 hours beyond the point where you could win the game. That's about it though.

Thanks for clearing up the thing about Tidus, but who, um..."dreamed" him into the real world? All along I thought it was Auron who sort of found him during that FMV at the blitzball stadium, and basically "plucked" Tidus from the dreamworld into reality like Morpheus did with Neo in The Matrix. And what about his dad Jecht?

And wow, 50 hours for ultimate weapons and monster hunts? I admit that would really give XII's Hunter's Guild quests a run for its money.

Sadly, the linearity still kind of bothers me, but if it's at least no worse than X, then I guess I'll put XIII back on my to-buy list for a later date, after buying GOW 3 and Yakuza 3.

The IGN review described the story-telling as somewhat subtle and vague in that it's basically narrated to you by Vanille, described by most players as plain old annoying in an overly-cute little girl kind of way. Is the narration-style storytelling really as bad as I think it is?

Final Fantasy main character coolness died when Tidus' sense of fashion transcended parallel universes and caused all subsequent male protagonists to dress like they came out of the circus.

Heheh, totally agreed! Um, Vaan kind of reminded me of a blond Aladdin, actually. Accuse me of living in the Nineties if you want, but Cloud's goth-rock look never gets old! B))

That's not much of an "address" u know. Haha. Its just an excuse. I was hoping that Pulse would've had towns for you to explore if not Cocoon.

The IGN review described the story-telling as somewhat subtle and vague in that it's basically narrated to you by Vanille, described by most players as plain old annoying in an overly-cute little girl kind of way. Is the narration-style storytelling really as bad as I think it is?

Didn't have a problem with that. Only "ominous" parts are narrated by Vanille which I felt was pretty good. Also bear in mind Vanille uses her "srs bsns" voice during the narration and not the cutesy ones.

Speaking of Vanille, lol, did anyone raise an eyebrow during her Eidolon's final attack? I was like LOLJAPAN. That was so intentional. :lol:

That's not much of an "address" u know. Haha. Its just an excuse. I was hoping that Pulse would've had towns for you to explore if not Cocoon.

Didn't have a problem with that. Only "ominous" parts are narrated by Vanille which I felt was pretty good. Also bear in mind Vanille uses her "srs bsns" voice during the narration and not the cutesy ones.

Speaking of Vanille, lol, did anyone raise an eyebrow during her Eidolon's final attack? I was like LOLJAPAN. That was so intentional. :lol:

Cool! At least I won't have a "Tinkerbell" wannabe narrating the story for me.

Thanks for clearing up the thing about Tidus, but who, um..."dreamed" him into the real world?

The big group of "frozen in time, neither dead nor living" Fayth who were eternally summoning/dreaming that you discover outside of Zanarkand (technically on Mt Gagazet). They are effectively summoning their entire nation from memory, from the past, to make it happen. It's a fairly major revelation/plot point. Technically, Tidus and Jecht's Zanarkand never existed at all, nor did they.

Beat the giant, element shifting mechanical turtle/plant boss in Chap. 5. Tough and long fight mainly cause I constantly had to stop and heal. Took about 3 or 4 tries before I figured out what to do. Wish I'd remembered sooner that David said the summon was useless and reset the stagger bar (it was horrible seeing it get nearly full then the summon would leave and the bar would go back to zero). I haven't felt the need to use the summon at all until then and it proved pretty useless to me. I kinda hope they don't become a huge factor later in the game. I like having them, but don't really wanna have to use them (least that was my experience in XII that I had all of the summons, but rarely used them).

I'm wondering what forums you guys are going to about upgrading weapons? I've upgraded Gladius to lvl. 8 so far as well as Sazh's and Vanille's weapons (no where near as much as Gladius, but I have done some work on them, maybe to lvl 2 or 3 for each). I'm gonna stop upgrading their weapons for now. The only reason I put any work into them is that I thought it would help me get past the point where I had to use Sazh and Vanille in Chap. 4. It did get better toward the end of the chap. but it was so frustrating at first. I'm wondering if I should stop upgrading Gladius for now or if I should take it up as many lvls as possible?

Also, the music in Chap. 4 sounded a lot like some of the music from the anime series Noir? Did anyone else pick that up? Can't wait till I'm off next week and can put some serious time into the game!

A little tip to those who finished the game or are at chapter 11 at least. There's an easy way to kill those giant turtle things (called oretoises)

They are all susceptible to Death....

You shouldn't have problems killing the small one, Anachelid.

Adamantoise and Adamantortoise ....i can't kill them fair and square yet. They give 30,000 CP and drop some cool stuff like Adamantites and Platinum Ingots. Read on if you wanna know how:

You have to hit the left and right forelegs 1s to get it to tumble down and get disabled. But your level is most probably too low to even kill one leg before he flattens you. So this is what you do:

1.) Use vanille as party leader. Put her in saboteur paradigm.

2.) Put Sazh as synergist.

3.) Once in battle, summon right away. This will instant kill the Adamantoise/Adamantortoise's legs right away, disabling them. There's no logic behind this but that's what it does.

4.) Once, disabled, the adamantoise will fall and it can't do anything until it gets up.

5.)Cast Death. You can choose to gestalt and gaian salvo right away. The purpose of summoning is just to disable the monster.

6.) Cast Death until hopefully he dies.

7.) If you're lucky, you'll instant kill in less than 3 minutes. If not, you're not gonna survive after he gets up and pummels you. Rinse and repeat as much as needed.

The big group of "frozen in time, neither dead nor living" Fayth who were eternally summoning/dreaming that you discover outside of Zanarkand (technically on Mt Gagazet). They are effectively summoning their entire nation from memory, from the past, to make it happen. It's a fairly major revelation/plot point. Technically, Tidus and Jecht's Zanarkand never existed at all, nor did they.

Man, I was probably so distracted by Tidus' super-annoying character that all this plot just flew right by me.

Sorry for being "thick", but how does this tie in with Sin?