Final Fantasy XIII

Didn't get to play much today in terms of advancing the story, but I was taking my sweet time killing scaled beasts and wyverns and all manners of fauna with Vanille and Sazh. Yes both the rainy ones and the sunny ones. :lol:

Massive CP to be had.

So have you reached the point where it's open world and not linear? If so, how long did it take?

I spent some time with FFXIII today... I hope the slowcooker effect is true. A few things I liked. Train Intro paying homage to 7, and the monk garb costumes look a lot like the Mammet androids from FFXI :) .

Edit: Quite surprised this man isn't the music composer: :p

nobuo.jpg

Edited by Ghost Train

Yes, much CP, but I hate wyverns. Only killed one, ignored the rest. Sheer matter of pride, as it killed me the first 2 times until I realized that it always casts deprotect on my party. Their CP isn't worth the time it takes to kill them. Flandragoras are MUCH better for CP/time. I am embarrassed that I was killed by mud frogs once. When they start calling in reinforcements...

Storywise---I think I've finally got enough backstory to start understanding/caring about the characters. But it sure took a while---too long IMHO. Vanille is still annoying though, and her "super-obvious from the beginning" secret still hasn't been officially revealed, just keeps hinting at it.

Esuna should fix the deprotects or wear the accesory that has 30% resistance to deprotect. Wyverns are faster than those steel beasts which take forever to rack up that chain bonus...but i think my grinding habit is kicking in so I didn't mind it. :lol:

So have you reached the point where it's open world and not linear? If so, how long did it take?

Nope he has a good more hours and chapters to get through first, it's closer to the latter half of the game.

Haven't reached open world and zomg good more hours and chapters? :(

Finally found a spoiler-free guide to it, and it turns out weapon upgrading is simpler than I thought:

Organic components increase the bonus multiplier, mechanical ones take it away.

I had thought that only certain components increased or decreased it and was trying different combos and trying to remember what worked (I never wrote anything down)---it's just that you need a certain number of exp points from a component for its effect to become apparent---and for the "weak" ones you may need to use quite a few to reach that threshold.

I can "afford" to upgrade more often now, as now there's more options to get the bonus. (it's an utter waste to use high-level components without a bonus multiplier)

In short---use any and all organic ones to get your multiplier up, then use mechanical ones for as many points as you can.

Thanks for the point David. I'd generally found that using about 5 or 6 tend to trigger it. Now that I know it's specifically organic stuff, I'll be upgrading more too.

Story wise, I agree with your observation in the first post. A lot of it is feels like you're missing something early on. Back when the trailers were out, i couldn't even discern the general story. So some characters aren't quite s likeable as they should be. Of course, as you move along, it all starts to come together. This might help:

http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/search/la...0Fantasy%20XIII

That's the Chapter Zero novella posted on Square's website back before and during the Japanese release in English. I haven't read it myself, but I'm sure it fills in some gaps.

Battle system so far has me liking it. The real challenge does seem to be getting the hang of Paradigms though. Finding the right combos, and remembering the order you have them in. Concentrating on that, health, and the Chain Gauge really makes things feel fast. The Sahz/Vanille/Hope part was a real pain because of how hard it was keeping the gauge high without a Commando to slow its fall. Without Hope was a touch easier since I had fewer options for Paradigms to worry about. The upgrade system is interesting in that if you fight everything, you generally can get all skills.

I fought one Wyvern. Didn't really have any problem with it. I'm about 20 hours in, at PulemPolum.

Finally found a spoiler-free guide to it, and it turns out weapon upgrading is simpler than I thought:

Organic components increase the bonus multiplier, mechanical ones take it away.

I had thought that only certain components increased or decreased it and was trying different combos and trying to remember what worked (I never wrote anything down)---it's just that you need a certain number of exp points from a component for its effect to become apparent---and for the "weak" ones you may need to use quite a few to reach that threshold.

I can "afford" to upgrade more often now, as now there's more options to get the bonus. (it's an utter waste to use high-level components without a bonus multiplier)

In short---use any and all organic ones to get your multiplier up, then use mechanical ones for as many points as you can.

Hmmm... i've been using them i quantities of 5 but i have not came across a negative one even for mechanical parts. Generally i use the small parts to up the combo then switch to the high ones (which are usually mechanical) to increase it further but thankfully no negative multipliers yet.

Also i'm not sure if its prudent to level up more than 1 weapon at a time cause the later weapons you pick up seem pretty crap (like most of them are strength 5, magic 20 at level 1, which the more balanced weapons seemed better ie str 18, magic 16). I rather be sticking to my 1s weapon and level that up. Anyone have any pointers if those str 5 mag 20 weapons are worth upgrading?

I have mostly "low str high mag" weapons equipped and upgraded. I mean, Hope is never going to be a commando, so I'm maxing out his magic for his ravager and synergist roles. Same for Vanille--it's about her only option really. Sazh is only "occasionally" a commando, so he too has a magic-centric weapon---and interestingly, his "most magical" weapon is more balanced than other character's equivalent. To me this says I'm on the right track for him.

Lightning has the most-upgraded weapon, Gladius, as it's so blatant she's inherently a commando. It's actually a slight annoyance to me, as her original/cut-scene weapon looks so much cooler. But it's simply inferior to the Gladius when she spends 90% of her time doing pure physical damage.

IMHO a "balanced" weapon isn't going to do much good in this game, as even with all the paradigm shifting, most characters still fall into primarily physical or primarily magical roles.

PS---anyone found a diagram or something that shows how her gunblade unfolds? It's so fast I can't figure it out in-battle, and they rarely show it do it in cutscenes. (plus there's 3 forms, not 2) I know there's plenty of stuff showing how Cloud's Advent Children sword works, there's gotta be something similar for Lightning.

In all honesty i am just trying to see how well i do my first run through, so i don't expect to truly level everything up. Especially since i open the Guide after i passed a chapter and see i missed out on a lot of things all ready.

PS---anyone found a diagram or something that shows how her gunblade unfolds? It's so fast I can't figure it out in-battle, and they rarely show it do it in cutscenes. (plus there's 3 forms, not 2) I know there's plenty of stuff showing how Cloud's Advent Children sword works, there's gotta be something similar for Lightning.

I'm looking for it too. I'd love to build a mockup of that sucker. Definitely a multi-joint system. I sort of like the dark blade of the Gladius.

I think I'm pretty much using the same weapons. Though even with Sahz in commando, he'll use Ruin to take advantage of it. The latest weapons are murder on the upgrade points (1200 vs 400-600)

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Vanille has got to be the most annoying character ever. I know she is supposed to be the cheerful/upbeat Yuffie/Selphie/Penello etc of the series (for the record, Yuffie is the best :D ), but Miss V seems to have the IQ of a pigeon, coupled with a speech impediment.

I agree that I'm still iffy on the accent myself (so not hinted at in the trailers outside of a narration you didn't know was her), though considering how that Japanese voice is usually dubbed, this is most likely for the best. I'm liking her a lot so far. My least favorite is Hope, mostly for his attitude. Yes, I get what happened and sympathize, but Vanille was right about how to handle it, yet the game wants him to mope for half of it and hate Snow. The Lightning arcs fixing it though. I'd say my favorite so far is Sahz.

Though i think these characters are meant to be a bit unlikeable early on (particularly Lightning and Snow), as we're still learning about them, and they themselves.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Speaking of Snow, the past few FF desperately need a summon called "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy Team" to bust in and slap some fashion sense into the main characters.

Trench-coat with a nice bear picture on the back, and wearing lingerie as an undershirt... CLASSSY!

Lately, I've been saving right when I get a new weapon (the 1200pt ones mentioned above), then spending a ton of points to see how it upgrades then reloading---so far none of the new group are superior IMHO---their bonus status effects are minimal, and it'd cost a lot of points just to get them up to where the other weapons are now---and spending the same amount of points would basically double the levels of the current weapons.

"Belladonna" MAY be worth it---it does surpass Vanille's standard wand stat-wise and does supplement her abilities---but only minimally---may still be better to just keep going with her current weapon and wait for the NEXT one before switching.

I have mostly "low str high mag" weapons equipped and upgraded. I mean, Hope is never going to be a commando, so I'm maxing out his magic for his ravager and synergist roles. Same for Vanille--it's about her only option really. Sazh is only "occasionally" a commando, so he too has a magic-centric weapon---and interestingly, his "most magical" weapon is more balanced than other character's equivalent. To me this says I'm on the right track for him.

Lightning has the most-upgraded weapon, Gladius, as it's so blatant she's inherently a commando. It's actually a slight annoyance to me, as her original/cut-scene weapon looks so much cooler. But it's simply inferior to the Gladius when she spends 90% of her time doing pure physical damage.

IMHO a "balanced" weapon isn't going to do much good in this game, as even with all the paradigm shifting, most characters still fall into primarily physical or primarily magical roles.

Only thing I've seen so far. I thought it was like a paratrooper knife at first, and in a sense it sorta is like a hybrid folding balisong/paratrooper blade/gun.

post-624-1268552032_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gaijin

In gun mode there is a short but distinct barrel on the upper section. Balisong was my first impression too, I'd base it off that more than anything.

Anyways---the fire eidolon is a much simpler battle than it looks. But it is frustrating simply due to the time limit. I died twice with only needing like 5 more secs. You cannot win by exploting the "unusual" way to charge the gestalt gauge, it takes far too long, you'll simply have to "build up chain attacks" as fast as you possible can. Rav/Rav, with the occasional Rav/Med. But if at all possible, maintain Rav/Rav while using potions---EVERY second counts. You will barely make it if all goes well. The "hidden/unusual" way is

buffing your allies. I tried casting every single one repeatedly on everyone, and while it did charge the gauge it wasn't nearly as fast as just ravaging.

Oh yeah---I was quite close to having the "haste" ability. I think that would have made it MUCH easier. So here is my tip: if at all possible, see if you can get

Sazh

to have "haste" by the time (very mild spoiler)

you encounter the chocobos

. You will actually have a couple fights (and a boss) after that segment to gain some more CP, but that's a non-spoilery way to denote when you're getting close to that eidolon battle.

Ok, think I've got the blade figured out. Combine this:

http://ibeatsephiroth.deviantart.com/art/F...otype-131151762

And this: http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=3074...amp;postcount=8

And you should get it too. :) Big thing--the blade does not SLIDE back, it arcs up and over and back on a swing-arm.

I finally got to the part where the whole gang is reunited and I get to switch my battle team. Gonna call it a night now. Spent like 4-5 hours on the PS3.

A secret is revealed about Vanille. She becomes more likeable as a character as her happy go lucky character is somewhat a facade. I swear her "serious voice" has some kinda irish accent. And i like it. :lol:

Important note to everyone who might be thinking "where the hell do i get gil in this game?", you can sell off your credits that are spoils from most soldiers for a load of gil. Credits are components which have a EXP value of "1" so i reckon they shouldn't be used for upgrading weapons. The gil will help in buying accesories and parts for you to upgrade your weapons.

I still find it hard to switch weapons whenever i pickup a new one because their stats tend to be so low for their otherwise not-so-significant ability. The price to upgrade said weapons also cost way high for that small increment in STR or Magic. So i'm usually sticking to my original few weapons.

PS: i like sazh's 4th attack. Gundam Cherudim anyone? B))

PSS: and as for the gunblade....there's no way that thing can actually fire bullets. Where do the bullets even go?

Edited by wolfx

I wonder if late in the game, weapon stats become pointless due to the zillions of STR and MAG you permanently acquire in the crystarium, and their abilities are more important. For now though, I'm keeping my characters with a pure mag or pure str weapon. (though at the moment a balanced weapon for Lightning would be useful due to a forced party--she's a ravager a lot of the time---but I'm not going to blow thousands of exp points to upgrade a different weapon just for this part)

Chapter 10. Almost 25 hours in. I will echo the above by Dreamweaver and say I love the battle system. The fights get so fast and crazy it's awesome when you pick the right "deck" of paradigms for different situations/enemies.

Love the art direction too...possibly the most beautiful game I've seen in a long time. Not a big FF fan but this one is tops in my book.

Yeah, by far the "prettiest" FF game, if not RPG period. I spin the camera around often just to see the world they made.

Anyways---anyone know if later weapons "grow" faster? I've experimented a bit, and the growth rate seems awfully steady---like 6-8 pts, level after level, for most weapons. I keep expecting to find a weapon that is "just like an early weapon at first glance, but as you level it up it becomes stronger, quicker, thus making it notably superior after a while"---but I haven't. I just keep finding more variations of "same stats as something you already have, with the same growth rate, but requires more exp to grow due to having a only slightly useful bonus effect". (I've saved and reloaded many times to "experiment" with growing newly-acquired weapons to see how they advance)

90% of my characters are still on weapons found in the first couple hours of the game (like Sazh's bright yellow guns)--it's frankly boring and disappointing, since "equipping a different weapon" has been visible on-screen since very early in FF. But if no new weapon is worth changing to, what's the point? And even if later on there are inherently better weapons---it took way too long to get to them. 20+ hours with the initial equipment? Pointless to even HAVE a half-dozen weapon options.

This thread lists the stats when maxed out for every weapon, and their effects:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfanta...&pid=928790

May be useful for future planning etc. (really, the game itself doesn't describe weapon upgrading well at all)

Also, from looking around the boards, any "strike" attack from Lightning is determined by her str, not her mag (I had thought it was so, but I like confirmation). So even as a ravager, she should go for str IMHO. (of course, that requires that you are controlling her and making sure she always does strike attacks whenever possible---an AI'd Lightning will mix in lots of spells as a ravager)

PS--I've seen a few places say something about the enemies scaling/level with your weapon? Do they? How so? I mean, if I boost Lightning's to 20 or something, will the enemies become much tougher---that'd really kind of screw you if the rest of the party had weak weapons.

I finally reached the great big open. AHHHHH FINALLY......i'm not walking in straight lines anymore! Yeahoo!

But when I 1st got to Pulse, things were big and scary and my battle stats dipped below 4 stars. :( Had to level up abit to get myself up to standard.

I also have unlocked all paradigms for all characters, but they are expensive CP points to spend. :wacko: So i haven't really went past the starting 3 paradigms yet with any character.

Btw i noticed my weapons looked abit different after i upgraded them abit. Not sure if its the lighting or because i leveled them up.

My biggest disappointment with the US version of the game is their choice of voice actor for Vanille. She's still my favorite character, but I don't like her weird, inconsistent accent. Her Japanese voice actor sounded much cuter!

Yeah, I was just about to post that. I'm pretty sure she was designed to be adorable and, most likely, expected to be a fan favorite. But with that weird accent, I just find her annoying. (In my mind, i'm trying to imagine her original japanese voice just so I won't hate the character). So what's with the accent anyway? What was her japanese voice like? Does it have an accent, that would justify why the english dub also had to have one?

Yeah, I was just about to post that. I'm pretty sure she was designed to be adorable and, most likely, expected to be a fan favorite. But with that weird accent, I just find her annoying. (In my mind, i'm trying to imagine her original japanese voice just so I won't hate the character). So what's with the accent anyway? What was her japanese voice like? Does it have an accent, that would justify why the english dub also had to have one?

To me the problem is not so much the accent, but rather than it sounded unnatural.

The English voice actress is Georgia van Cuylenburg who is from Melbourne Australia. If they wanted a non-American/British take on the English language then why not have her speak like Australians normally speak? It is obvious from the voice acting that she is being told to "sound American" or something to that effect without the presence of vocal coaches (it's a game after all, I doubt that they'd go to that extent). The resulting mess is called Vanille :angry: .

Gosh I hate that character so much... I hope she gets turned to crystal or something.

Though i think these characters are meant to be a bit unlikeable early on (particularly Lightning and Snow), as we're still learning about them, and they themselves.

Whatever intent the creators had with Lightning, there's no way I would ever dislike that character, even from the start. She's way too cool. And hot. And cool. :)