Star Wars what you thought of it prior to eps 1-3

Dax415

Was just curious since alot of MWr's are late 20's early 30's what were your impression/expectations around Star Wars prior to the release of episodes 1-3 and the newer material out there? I know its a very broad topic, but I'm going to start with some specific things as I'm very curious if the rest of you were under similiar impressions. And for arguments sake.... leave out the Star Wars books, which is a subject all its own.

I'll start with Darth Vader - given his suit of armor I assumed his mechanical form was given shape due to battles he had hunting jedi or even those that may have been rivals. I imagined it as not a pure situation of instant death for a jedi, but the battle prowess of vader, usage of darkside relics, jedi technology, trickery, and even trapping jedi in carbonite or other elaborate means. Maybe even going so far as keeping them alive somewhere for interrogation or for insidious plots potentially against the emperor himself. For me, i was hoping that potential aspect of it was more played up and balanced out.

Now for me and some friends this next subject is a big debate and very open ended as we all used to play the Steven Jackson Star Wars roleplaying game. It was a cool time, we all played but not to the point we were oblivious to other healthy normal teenage stuff like girls, movies, sports, laser tag and pulling pranks during Halloween. We all were big fans of Boba Fett and only knew his armor was Mandalorian armor and had something to do with the "clone wars". For me I was thinking good old vader or the emperror cloned some jedi as a means to lure out other jedi in hiding or even had some clone jedi made prior to the fall of the jedi order. I fgured compared to stormtrooper armor, it was light weight but durable enough to lend the advantage of better movement to the wearer allowing them to close quarters for the use of a lightsaber or someone who simply preferred the advantage of dexterity in combat. If this wasn't the case, investing in the illusion of a deadly warrior class with a wide variety of weaponry and tactics could easily be blamed for wreaking system wide havoc. Add in these clones posing as jedi imposters or outright duking things out in the open with real jedi who may be fighting clone versions of themselves would cause just enough confusion to lend them the upper hand in sheer number or cause enough trouble to weaken the ranks of the jedi order through acts of sabotage, confusion, public hatred, and tarnishing the belief jedi are hard to kill. Keep in mind this was prior to episodes to 1-3 and there was little to go on at that time.

What I was curious about was what my peers were thinking about this? Got any theories about mandalorian armor back then?

I thought that 1/2 way through Episode 3 when Mace Windu dies... all of a sudden he jumps 100 stories back to the room they were fighting, and then owns both Anakin & Palpatin, and goes,

"EPISODE 3 MUTHAFUKAS! SAMUEL L. JACKSON BEER HMMMmmmm, IT WILL GET U DRUNK!"

I thought the cloned Mandalorians would be enemies of the Jedi (all the character blurbs about Boba Fett said he wore the armor of a group defeated in the Clone Wars by Jedi IIRC) and that the Jedi would have Republic troops with them along with then minty new Y-Wings.

Jedi and Emperor and all that was executed about how I expected.

I thought the movies would be closer in tone to Empire Strikes Back and be geared people who grew up with the original trilogy.

In terms of plot, I was expecting it to mirror the first trilogy more with Vader as a sort of anti-luke.

1st movie detailing Anakin and Obi's relationship, Anakin becoming a Jedi

2nd movie ending with the fall of Anakin and the birth of Vader (just a sith lord, not machine vader we know)

3rd movie the big showdown with Ben and Vader... more or less what we actually got with RotS

I liked em before, I like em now. Hell, I dont even mind the prequals.

thanks for replying scream man, i wasn't trying to comment on whether the movies were any good or a let down but rather what everyone thought was going to happen/flushed out in episodes 1-3 according to limited information like what was on the back of old school star wars action figure backings. for example i was definately expecting Mandalorian clad armored troops fighting jedi.

I've always thought of Jedis as Samurai-like... so naturally I was expecting there be some sort of Ninja Jedi Sect as well with dual-wield sabers, beam shurikens, and smoke bombs... I was dissapointed.

That would have really been an interesting take.. err, not the ninja jedi but portraying the Republic era Jedi to be analogous to the Samurai around the time of the Meiji Restoration.

Seeing Jedi as corrupt, infighting parasites, a symptom of the greater decline of the Republic as a whole.

I would have liked to have seen a young, idealistic Obi-wan at this time, training up Anakin on a romanticized Jedi code which anakin slowly rejects in favor of the more brutal and pragmatic approach the other Jedi are taking. L

Edited by eugimon

That would have really been an interesting take.. err, not the ninja jedi but portraying the Republic era Jedi to be analogous to the Samurai around the time of the Meiji Restoration.

Seeing Jedi as corrupt, infighting parasites, a symptom of the greater decline of the Republic as a whole.

I would have liked to have seen a young, idealistic Obi-wan at this time, training up Anakin on a romanticized Jedi code which anakin slowly rejects in favor of the more brutal and pragmatic approach the other Jedi are taking. L

I was expecting something very similiar to this play out as well.... I always got the impression Obi Wan felt partly responsible for Anakin's fall, like he didn't quiet reach him or was too idealistic and in turn Anakin rebelled feeling a more pragmatic approach to countering the darkside was a better way to go.

I thought the cloned Mandalorians would be enemies of the Jedi (all the character blurbs about Boba Fett said he wore the armor of a group defeated in the Clone Wars by Jedi IIRC) and that the Jedi would have Republic troops with them along with then minty new Y-Wings.

Jedi and Emperor and all that was executed about how I expected.

yeah i was expecting the same thing.... that and i simply wanted to see a whole bunch of Boba Fett armored goodness running rampant

Gee. I think that the prequel trilogy ruined the whole SW mythology! Who would have thought? I didn't like Jar-Jar either! Who would have thought??!!

NEXT!!!!!!

Taksraven

I believe episode III makes the franchise stronger as a whole, especially the mirroed scenes between Vader's downfall & redeption (making the wrong choice not to back up Mace, and the right choice to back up Luke).

Gee. I think that the prequel trilogy ruined the whole SW mythology! Who would have thought? I didn't like Jar-Jar either! Who would have thought??!!

NEXT!!!!!!

Taksraven

See, people always rag on Jar Jar, but I have hated C3-PO ever since the OT, so seeing him in all 6 films has always bothered me WAY more than Jar Jar. Not that Jar Jar was a great character, it's just relative.

Cool movies. Cool ideas.

I really didn't think much about them. The first time I saw them was when I was in like 7th or 8th grade, so I guess I missed the key time where Star Wars really gets you. Don't get me wrong, I thought they were cool but they just didn't come up that often in my thoughts.

Gosh, I hope I don't show my age on this but, I was 5 or 6 when Star Wars came out, and growing up I thought the orginal Jedi Knights would have armor; like "knights". Also, when they mentioned the Clone Wars, I believed that it was the Jedi fighting against the clones, not with them. ^_^

Edited by aerocombatpilot

The one thing I thought about the Jedi when they were at their peak was that they would be a more "military" sort of organisation. I thought that Yoda and Obi Wan dressed the way they did in the original trilogy 'cause they were going pretty much incognito, I didn't think for one second that the shabby robes were traditional Jedi getup. That and the fact that he was referred to as "General" Kenobi in A New Hope really made me think that the Jedi would be wearing uniforms similar to what the Imperial officers wore in the original trilogy.

And I was disappointed.

Taksraven

The one thing I thought about the Jedi when they were at their peak was that they would be a more "military" sort of organisation. I thought that Yoda and Obi Wan dressed the way they did in the original trilogy 'cause they were going pretty much incognito, I didn't think for one second that the shabby robes were traditional Jedi getup. That and the fact that he was referred to as "General" Kenobi in A New Hope really made me think that the Jedi would be wearing uniforms similar to what the Imperial officers wore in the original trilogy.

And I was disappointed.

Taksraven

Haven't watched the clone wars series?

You're missing some very good stuff, if you've been passing on Clone Wars. The movie wasn't so hot, but once you hit the first ep in Season 1, you'll see it's an abnormality. Looks great on Blu-ray. Shame they went with legacy audio.