Winter Wonderfest-1/60 Zentradi trooper

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the figures. The yellow sub joints are not fitting, the holes are too loose. I'm wondering if anyone else has that problem? The instructions say that the holes are 3.5 mm but I believe the Yellow subs have 3.0 mm stems. I'm not aware that there's a different type. Gonna check my handy dandy ball joint booklet.

I'm pretty sure they're the correct ones. I just looked at the booklet and there isn't any other ball joints listed. Let me know how yours fits when you recieve it.

I'm positive I can make it work. It's gonna be sweet. The workmanship and engineering is awesome and the feel is so high quality.

I'm not going to get to put it together until I finish my figure project but I'm pretty sure it's going to work out well. Can't wait!

gallery_151_382_55220.jpg gallery_151_382_57505.jpg

• 1 month later...

So basically you do have to order two sets of the ball joints to accommodate what is needed. But there is a part for the chest piece part that i'm trying to find it for. Where did you get your exo? It is a little loose on some areas especially the leg joints. The arm/forearm is another story.. did you cut a piece of the joint to accommodate for the other one to fit?

Picture of the Haul: Thanks to Adrian for the help

WonderfestHaul.jpg

Hey what's that Minmay statue? Macross Ace like the one I'm sulpting. PM me to let me know how much you got it for.

For the soldier, try heating the tip of the ball joint stem and pressing it slightly to deform it into a slight mushroom shape. Not too much and be caeful not to melt the whole thing. Maybe try pushing it against a hot surface. As for the torso joint and neck joint I drilled a 3mm hole and used those acrylic yellow sub joints. I'll take pics later.

http://www.hlj.com/product/YLSPPC-T06

I'm not sure if that's the same size that I used. Just to give you an idea. That's not the one recommended in the instructions but it works really well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

for anyone wondering I put styrene rod inserts so the joints will fit snug. Resin will loosen over time.

1287614975.jpg

What size styrene rods are those? I just started on my kit, getting it ready. I'm actually gonna paint mine to make it a bit more color correct to the show.

3/8" and you have to drill the hole for the ball joint stem. Get a drill bit slightly smaller than 3mm because even though the ball joints are marked as 3mm, they're slightly smaller. I suggest fitting the ball joint stem to a predrilled styrene rod before you glue them to the kit. If you glue all the rods and ther're too loose then you're right back where you started.

3/8" and you have to drill the hole for the ball joint stem. Get a drill bit slightly smaller than 3mm because even though the ball joints are marked as 3mm, they're slightly smaller. I suggest fitting the ball joint stem to a predrilled styrene rod before you glue them to the kit. If you glue all the rods and ther're too loose then you're right back where you started.

Good to know. I think I'll see how the joints fit to the styrene first before undertaking that, but if they are really secure, that's good news. Coat of primer is on the parts already, so tomorrow, I'll be off to find a good green to go with it as well as the other colors. The gry primer is a good color for the gry pieces of the soldier. May not need anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I know this thread is a little old, but I've started to paint my figure and should have him done in about 1-2 weeks. Primer is now dry, so time to get the airbrush out again. I've worked with Exo and he helped me to get all the joints nice and tight on this guy. He should be pretty sturdy and better than an action figure. For the hands, I bored out the little plug, and inserted one of the sockets from the BJ-05 set in there, the result is a hand that has some posability, and won't fall off. Took some time, but it looks great. Pics will come up later in another thread.

hmmm... who's idea was that with the hands... I wonder...

Awesome, I'd love to see it. Can't believe you got to it before me. I got busy with a quick job and now I'm just trying to catch up with the side covers... oy! And my Regult arrival is looming!

hmmm... who's idea was that with the hands... I wonder...

Awesome, I'd love to see it. Can't believe you got to it before me. I got busy with a quick job and now I'm just trying to catch up with the side covers... oy! And my Regult arrival is looming!

At first, I was a little nervous to see if it would work. drilling inside the arm part was done with a drill slight smaller than the socket, and the rest was using an exacto to widen and sandpaper to smooth. It made the socket a bit squished in the area of the hands, so I sanded down those hands so that they'd fit. The end result is a solid hand that won't pop off. I've done the second arm, but need another set of the BJ-05, so I have those on order. Just painted the body with a german military green, and it's got a nice drab, "zentraedi" feel to it. Not sure if I wanna go more vibrant green, but we'll see.

There's not much to painting this guy (unless you do the ultra realistic look. Being that it's meant to be moved around and all, I'm keeping pretty simple. For the chest, I just need to touch up what I missed from masking with the black chestplate w/ Zentraedi insignia. I'll probably also do another coat over the backpack section. For the white belt and strap pieces, I'm using what's called light camoflauge gry. It's basically a white with a little gry and tan in it. It works well with the green I've selected, which isn't as dark as the original green. For the joints, upper arms, thighs and feet, I'm using panzer gry, which is kinda drk, but stands out just right. I've also done the rifle in a gry primer, then gunmetal metalizer.

What's taking more time, is prepping the materials to make the figure sturdy. The drilling, sanding, all that is some time, but not too bad. I found some metal rod that I have put inside the waist so that the figure can actually bend forward from the crotch area. So far, I'm still waiting on another BK-05 set for another socke for the other arm, also more for the arm/leg sockets. At this rate, he'll easily be done by next week, pending no major disasters.

Will get pics tomorrow, as I can't find the chord to load them.

Would it be asking too much to get a step-by-step procedure on the assembly for this figure? I'm not the most skilled modeler, so any pics and whatnot would be extremely helpful.

I'd put up some of a step-by-step, but I'm almost done with mine. Exo maybe more suited for it in regards to the styrene or rubber hose fix for the joints. Here it is so far. Still need some work on him, as well as one part for the other hand.

post-582-128958834061_thumb.jpg

I'd put up some of a step-by-step, but I'm almost done with mine. Exo maybe more suited for it in regards to the styrene or rubber hose fix for the joints. Here it is so far. Still need some work on him, as well as one part for the other hand.

Now that is a kick ass toy...er, model.

I have the Matchbox one from the 80's. It really needed an update bad. This is definitely worth that long wait!

Thanks for the compliments guys. Still have a lot of touch up to do on it, and still waiting on hlj to ship the other BJ-05 joint set for the other arm. If I get lucky and get another one of these later on, I'm definitely gonna do the purplish or maybe that tan color. I think the colors I used were a good match. I was a bit scared of the green, cause without any background color after primering, it looked too grey. I'll definitely remember these colors. ;)

• 1 month later...

Just assembled my Zentradi soldier and found out you can use only Revoltech joints to assemble it and not have to use glue to keep it together.

The resin ball joints on the neck and waist were removed. Then a hole was drilled in their place to accept a Revoltech joints.

All the joints used fit in pretty well, but were a little loose. An easy fix to this problem was to crimp the shaft of the joints. This made everything fit well and snug.

Also, a double jointed joint was used in the elbow for more poseability. The joint in the neck and the waist allow for more flexability, as well.

post-2246-129451162093_thumb.jpg

post-2246-129451163629_thumb.jpg

post-2246-129451164744_thumb.jpg

post-2246-129451165646_thumb.jpg

Just assembled my Zentradi soldier and found out you can use only Revoltech joints to assemble it and not have to use glue to keep it together.

The resin ball joints on the neck and waist were removed. Then a hole was drilled in their place to accept a Revoltech joints.

All the joints used fit in pretty well, but were a little loose. An easy fix to this problem was to crimp the shaft of the joints. This made everything fit well and snug.

Also, a double jointed joint was used in the elbow for more poseability. The joint in the neck and the waist allow for more flexability, as well.

This is awesome!