macross sdf 1

valhary

Do you have reference where you get these pictures? It looks like the Yamato's 1/2000 SDF-1.

These pictures are trying to telling the R&D process of the SDF-1, from CAD to resin prototype. They are fixing some bugs on prototype then get it fixed with CAD design before it gets to mass production.

All from here:

http://www.yamato-toys.com/dev/release_048...ml?mmlnk=091125

It mentions something about reducing detail and scale for mass production ...

I hope "reducing detail" means no inner city or special gimmicks for the smaller version, and not reducing surface details :ph34r:

The DYRL? SDF-1 has a great amount of surface details that I hope yamato reproduces on the smaller version. All the pannels, lines, scribed and recessed detail should be present. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the molds should be able to copy all the details, right?

This is all about how they "make" the 1/2000 scale SDF-1 kit - to show that it's a "prototype replica" and not a traditional resin or plastic kit.

It does mention that, for the completed toy version, it may have to be scaled down and details to be simplified. But everything is still up in the air.

Oh, but it does sound like they're still aiming for a 2010 release for the completed toy version.

Edited by Vifam7

I hope "reducing detail" means no inner city or special gimmicks for the smaller version, and not reducing surface details

My guess is "reducing scale" means reducing it FROM 1:1 to 1:2000 and therefore having to adjust the details accordingly.

Pete

Maybe with the scaled down version it will be affordable. A prototype is always priced with an outragous amount, before they decide to mass produce, take the Lexus hybrid sedan for example. At the Philadelphia Auto Show it was priced at $140,000 and that was just a prototype car they were just showing off to the public, have a picture of somewhere in my computer, The manufacturer knows they won't be able to sell a product for that price, it's a turn off for the average buyer who wants to save money on gas, and they will be forced to scrap it or phase it out.

Maybe with the scaled down version it will be affordable. A prototype is always priced with an outragous amount, before they decide to mass produce, take the Lexus hybrid sedan for example. At the Philadelphia Auto Show it was priced at $140,000 and that was just a prototype car they were just showing off to the public, have a picture of somewhere in my computer, The manufacturer knows they won't be able to sell a product for that price, it's a turn off for the average buyer who wants to save money on gas, and they will be forced to scrap it or phase it out.

This is not prototype, it's already mass produced final products assembled by Yamato. There is further development advised by Yamato on a smaller scale up to date though.

This is not prototype, it's already mass produced final products assembled by Yamato. There is further development advised by Yamato on a smaller scale up to date though.

no, it's still a prototype. the final product WOULD have been a massed produced ABS deal if they physically could make it, but they can't so they're make a small run of extra prototypes to sell. :mellow:

more pics

That is such a tease, damn it :angry:

That was my most anticipated toy for next year... set aside some funds for awhile planning to get two, now I can't even justify getting one. That price! :(

I've waited for Yamato to make the SDF-1, might as well wait some more.

Edited by Hikaru VF-1S

no, it's still a prototype. the final product WOULD have been a massed produced ABS deal if they physically could make it, but they can't so they're make a small run of extra prototypes to sell. :mellow:

yes, you are right, it's still consider a prototype which has been run in small volume. These are molded in HDP as stated by Yamtato which only used in doing prototype of toys.

Paying $2000 for a toy sounds hillarious, but paying $2000 for a prototype to own a piece of the macross history doesn't sound that much.

I hear ya. I'm still bummed I'll never get a 1/2000 SDF toy, but if I was filthy rich, I'd get one of these. Why not?

As it is, even if I had the extra cash to buy it, I wouldn't for one stupid reason: there's no guarantee that Yamato (or some other company down the road) won't change their minds and say "Aw, f#ck it! The economy is strong again, we have the molds, let's mass produce the damn thing. I've heard there's a factory in China that has the equipment to do it for cheap".