Rambo V: The Savage Hunt

VT 1010

Last November, I bumped into Sly at Morton's Steak House at The Venetian in Macau. I was washing my hands in the men's room when he came out of the can and approached the sink next to me.

"This place is a f*ckin' mess."

Well, I couldn't blame him as this was a 5-star restaurant and the restroom was littered with paper towels. But yeah, he wasn't in a talking mood and his bodyguard was there too, so I hightailed it.

Lol..cool story, I can see how it'd be a culture shock for any pampered blockbuster movie star experiencing anything "5 star" in China.

I guess in Rambo 2 when he was dropped into Vietnam he didn't expect to run into any commies :ph34r::lol: Remember, he chose to go there.

He was pulled out of a military prison to go there. He did not have a choice.

He was pulled out of a military prison to go there. He did not have a choice.

From the film's Wiki:

John Rambo, having been sentenced to hard labor, is working in a labor camp prison when he gets a visit from his former commander, Colonel Sam Trautman. Trautman offers Rambo the chance to be released from prison after the events of the first film and given full clemency on condition of him going back to Vietnam to search for POWs.

I agree with AgentOne. In fact I thought the exact same thing before he replied. It wasn't much of a choice as I understood it from watching the movie.

The thread made me want to watch First Blood again, so I fired it up last night... wow, what a classic. It holds up so well. I don't really care about any of the sequels including part II. They're just so far from the original.

From the film's Wiki:

John Rambo, having been sentenced to hard labor, is working in a labor camp prison when he gets a visit from his former commander, Colonel Sam Trautman. Trautman offers Rambo the chance to be released from prison after the events of the first film and given full clemency on condition of him going back to Vietnam to search for POWs.

Is that a choice?

Yeah, duh. I can't believe I have to explain it. Trautman explained to Rambo that he could either stay in prison or go find POWs in commieland. Prison or fight, that is a choice.

You really don't seem to be getting this.

I agree with AgentOne. In fact I thought the exact same thing before he replied. It wasn't much of a choice as I understood it from watching the movie.

The thread made me want to watch First Blood again, so I fired it up last night... wow, what a classic. It holds up so well. I don't really care about any of the sequels including part II. They're just so far from the original.

I agree wholeheartedly with your views on First Blood. A great movie. The sequels are tons of fun, but not up to the standard of the first.

• 1 year later...

Last November, I bumped into Sly at Morton's Steak House at The Venetian in Macau. I was washing my hands in the men's room when he came out of the can and approached the sink next to me.

"This place is a f*ckin' mess."

Well, I couldn't blame him as this was a 5-star restaurant and the restroom was littered with paper towels. But yeah, he wasn't in a talking mood and his bodyguard was there too, so I hightailed it.

Stallone and his body guard tried to have their way with you in a men's bathroom!?!

He had a pretty mouth.

Edited by peter

You really don't seem to be getting this.

It was a choice. Stay in prison, or save his fellow servicemen who he lamented losing at the end of First Blood. It was a choice and he made the right one. When Trautman arrived with the offer, that was the war coming to Rambo's doorstep, even if he was living in a prison. There is no way the Rambo from First Blood could have turned him down. In fact, I think that even if he would have been tossed right back into jail if he survived the mission, he still would have gone.

It was a choice. ... There is no way the Rambo from First Blood could have turned him down.

I think you might be missing some nuance here. It may, technically, by the dictionary definition be a choice, but no one involved considered it as such.

I think you might be missing some nuance here. It may, technically, by the dictionary definition be a choice, but no one involved considered it as such.

There's no nuance. Stay in prison and do nothing to help POWs - or get out of prison to help POWs. He chose the latter.