The Return of the Longest Thread?

admin & mods,

now that things are starting to settle down here on the new boards, maybe it's time to consider bringing back the longest thread? i think after the recent "house cleaning" of offending members the idea of the longest thread might be a good one again. plus, the new mySQL DB should be able to actually handle such long threads, so there wouldn't be any more of those weird bugs that we got with the old DB software.

although i didn't post too often in the old longest thread, it was nice to have somewhere to go to talk to other MWers about whatever random thoughts pop up.

just a thought & my 2.

-dru

Agreed! And I know at least one other person who would agree.

However, I would push for a more OT forum. Every forum I frequent has a dedicated off-topic forum where you can talk about anything (within reason of course, no politics/sex/etc.)... I think that would be a good idea for MW. A dedicated thread to this like the Longest Thread is good, but a dedicated forum to purely OT stuff is much easier to moderate.

And if the regular mods don't want to moderate it, I volunteer, if of course such an idea is plausable.

So that's my $0.02

Vostok 7

I thought of bringing this up a few months ago, but then thought unless there was a specific Mod who was "on" all day to watch it, it would be a pooch-screw.

Therefore I went and emailed D Ace and he said maybe... but he wanted the other Mods input.

Though I like activities that create a sense of community (MW kinda has a lack of that which is why I spend a considerable amount of time at the Valkyrie Exchange forums), I am not sure that the longest thread is the best way to go about it... it only takes one member to get a whole bunch of members pissed off.

i know the mods hate the idea of policing the longest thread, so what if participating members just self-policed it? i mean, not act as mini-mods or anything, but any members who are participating in the longest thread who witness a possible MW violation could just PM a mod. that way the mods only have to pop in once in a while.

::waits for Roy to unload the shotgun::

:D

i know the mods hate the idea of policing the longest thread, so what if participating members just self-policed it? i mean, not act as mini-mods or anything, but any members who are participating in the longest thread who witness a possible MW violation could just PM a mod. that way the mods only have to pop in once in a while.

::waits for Roy to unload the shotgun::

:D

My thoughts exactly!! :ph34r:

But it still falls on the task of the mods to come in. If you guys police a longest thread, the person you might be complaining to would say, "what can you do? Your not a mod." In the end, the mods still have to come in and police the thread.

But it still falls on the task of the mods to come in. If you guys police a longest thread, the person you might be complaining to would say, "what can you do? Your not a mod." In the end, the mods still have to come in and police the thread.

:o You know what man?... if a nice guy like you thinks like this about the longest thread, there is no way it should come back. I thought ill of it just because skullone and I got in a fight over his behavior on it, as he was always at the throat of RC, but I was willing to give it the benifit of the doubt... now I am not.

Agent ONE votes: NO!

nobody would police the longest thread but mods. members would only PM mods if there was a problem. there would be no "mini mod" system, because those don't work.

nobody would police the longest thread but mods. members would only PM mods if there was a problem. there would be no "mini mod" system, because those don't work.

I don't think I need to remind you of how the mods feel about that longest thread. *points at Roy waving around a shotgun*

I don't think I need to remind you of how the mods feel about that longest thread. *points at Roy waving around a shotgun*

Come on! Tiny and I managed to keep the longest thread clean back then.... untill the first VF5SS comic thread went down and Skullone started hunting for RC. :angry:

I think it'd probably get out of hand real fast......and I'm sure Shawn and company haven't found ALL the bugs. It'd turn into one big post whoring thread. Save the headaches for a later time. :angry:

Don't we have something like this at the VEX??? It's not like you have to go out of your way to click over. And I'm sure most members give a crap about the random stuff people put in those threads. Most of the people that would be on that thread are already there.

Don't we have something like this at the VEX??? It's not like you have to go out of your way to click over. And I'm sure most members give a crap about the random stuff people put in those threads. Most of the people that would be on that thread are already there.

If most members could give a crap about the thread.... why would it get out of hand so fast? <_<

And you guys forget that out of 3000 members... only 400 are active. And only abouyt 200 are really active.

If most members could give a crap about the thread.... why would it get out of hand so fast? <_<

And you guys forget that out of 3000 members... only 400 are active. And only abouyt 200 are really active.

It only takes a couple of people to screw up a thread.

I'm not for or against it. I remember it as being fun. I just believe theres already a good alternative implemented.

Although it was fun, you guys already explained reasons against doing it. Plus, if you were obsessive-compulsive like me and had to read every comment on those damn posts, it would be a nightmare (cause it really was everytime I missed a day or two and had to catch up on the reading).

:blink:

The Longest Thread is a myth. It's a figment of your collective imaginations.

*waves hand*

This is not the forum you're looking for. Move along.

I actually never found it to be that fun. and yes JsARCLIGHT is correct. VEX has what we are looking for as far as opportunity for O/T conversation.