I've come full circle.

drkstar00

I've been a HUGE Yamato fan since they came out with the original 1/60, but lately, I'm really into the chunky Bandai.

Both are great toys, but there's something about the 1/55 that keeps me coming back: I had to order an Origins VF-1J yesterday...just had to. :)

Edited by drkstar00

If the economy wasn't in the pisser I would love to get the Bandai chunkies as well. They are really fantastic nostalgia pieces and would go great with my G1 TF collection.

As things stand poo doo :(

Pete

I've been a HUGE Yamato fan since they came out with the original 1/60, but lately, I'm really into the chunky Bandai.

Both are great toys, but there's something about the 1/55 that keeps me coming back: I had to order an Origins VF-1J yesterday...just had to. :)

have yamatos too...but like you.. theres really something about the chunkies that i really like so much.. plus always the memories of my childhood of the 80s is tickling my senses everytime i play with it.

heres mine so far..

nice182.jpg

bandai015.jpg

bandai021.jpg

nice046.jpg

nice030.jpg

and the ratchet clicks are just great to hear.

still haven't got my chunky yet, i will be getting one for my girl or boy once she or he is born (yes we are aiming for a surprise!) and safe to play with though! :p

What is the Minimum Age for the youngins with the Chunkys? I'd ditch the gunpod probably untl they get a bit older.

Head Lasers secure or Easy to break off?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

still haven't got my chunky yet, i will be getting one for my girl or boy once she or he is born (yes we are aiming for a surprise!) and safe to play with though! :p

What is the Minimum Age for the youngins with the Chunkys? I'd ditch the gunpod probably untl they get a bit older.

Head Lasers secure or Easy to break off?

my son is a 6 year old.. he's very careful with ithough he complains on the weight asks if he can borrow my yamatos' .. hahah..

yup the gunpod missile point and shoot is a no-no for kids

Ocassionally, I would stare at my old school VT-1, VE-1 and VF-1S Strike (MIB) and reminisce about the good old days. That toy and the anime makes me feel so jolly! Very hard to let them go even with the updated Mac toys.

Edited by Agent-GHQ

Ocassionally, I would stare at my old school VT-1, VE-1 and VF-1S Strike (MIB) and reminisce about the good old days. That toy and the anime makes me feel so jolly! Very hard to let them go even with the updated Mac toys.

Really now. I thought the 1/60 v2 was the bomb since you have been touting that in all the other threads. I dont understand why ppl like the chunky monkeys when the 1/60s ARE FAR MORE SUPERIOR. :p

Really now. I thought the 1/60 v2 was the bomb since you have been touting that in all the other threads. I dont understand why ppl like the chunky monkeys when the 1/60s ARE FAR MORE SUPERIOR. :p

nostalgia...

People like things that remind them of their childhoods. I personally missed growing up in the 80's by about a decade so I have no particular affinity for the old chunkies.

I remember the times in the early 80's when my father would come back from business trips to Tokyo...he'd open up his suitcase and reveal these sick, giant robot toys in boxes with crazy writing on them. My little bro got a 1/55 Takatoku VF-1J Hikaru. I got a Strike! :) Can't tell you how envious my buddies from school were.

Being stupid kids, however, we beat the crap out of our toys. At one point, we even cut up the boxes and made them into posters haha.

Anyway, in my book, no amount of CAD engineering and tampo printing (seen by the eyes of a 30-something year old man) can replace the excitement of a 7-year old boy zooming around with a chunky monkey, with the cold diecast legs and clickety joints and deadly landing gear.

Not that I don't have every 1/48 and 1/60 ever made haha. But just saying, we should stop comparing apples to oranges.

I remember the times in the early 80's when my father would come back from business trips to Tokyo...he'd open up his suitcase and reveal these sick, giant robot toys in boxes with crazy writing on them. My little bro got a 1/55 Takatoku VF-1J Hikaru. I got a Strike! :) Can't tell you how envious my buddies from school were.

Being stupid kids, however, we beat the crap out of our toys. At one point, we even cut up the boxes and made them into posters haha.

Anyway, in my book, no amount of CAD engineering and tampo printing (seen by the eyes of a 30-something year old man) can replace the excitement of a 7-year old boy zooming around with a chunky monkey, with the cold diecast legs and clickety joints and deadly landing gear.

Not that I don't have every 1/48 and 1/60 ever made haha. But just saying, we should stop comparing apples to oranges.

very well said.

no amount of advancement (details,tampo printing, etc) can replace the experience of an adult that has grown up with this chunkies..

i guess only the 80's people who grew up with the toy will be the one to really relate to the experience.

feh. I grew up with them... just like I prefer my ipod over my aiwa personal cassette player...

Dude. I was just gonna' make a mix tape for you, but whatever...

:lol:

feh. I grew up with them... just like I prefer my ipod over my aiwa personal cassette player, I prefer my CAD designed, anime accurate, tampo printed yammie over a chunkie.

Nostalgia only goes so far.

In a sense, it's true. I definitely love the newer 1/60 v2 valks over my former 1/48 yammies. If only for the reason that there's more variety (VF0s, SV51s, YF19s, YF21s, VT, VE, etc). Also, the 1/60s has Destroids to beat up. :lol:

I thought the 1/60 v2 was the bomb since you have been touting that in all the other threads.
Cartoon line art wise, hells yeah!

I dont understand why ppl like the chunky monkeys when the 1/60s ARE FAR MORE SUPERIOR. :p
You must have missed out on the 80s toys!?

may i ask how old are you?

maybe you didnt get the point of the threadstarter.

we both have yamatos v2 1/60... i do love it in every angle.. but as we say.. you cannot replace the happiness of the chunkies the we grow old with.

if youre a 90s,2k kid.. clearly you wont understand.

In a sense, it's true. I definitely love the newer 1/60 v2 valks over my former 1/48 yammies. If only for the reason that there's more variety (VF0s, SV51s, YF19s, YF21s, VT, VE, etc). Also, the 1/60s has Destroids to beat up. :lol:

It's not just that.. maybe I'm just not sentimental or whatever but even when I was a young kid, I was always disappointed in the chunkies... how I couldn't transform it into GERWALK the way I saw it done in the cartoon, how inaccurate the sculpt was, how it had such limited posability, I was plainly aware of the flaws. I loved it because there wasn't anything better and I longed for something that really captured the look and the features of what I saw on TV.

For me, the 1/48 and now the 1/60 scale toys are those hopes and dreams realized and that's why, even though I'm an old crotchety bastard who grew up with chunkies, I'm more than happy to leave them where they bring me the most joy, in the warm glossy idealization of my memories.

Nobody who likes the chunky doubts that the 1/60 v.2 from Yamato is "superior."

But people love the chunkie not ONLY because it was a nostalgia piece, but for the original reason WHY it became a nostalgia piece - because back then, in the 80s - this was the height of transforming robot technology. This was the best it got.

There were plenty of other crappy toys from the 80s that nobody cares about now and nobody is reissuing. Seen any reissue Robotix lately?

Part of the reason for this is the same as why in 20 years nobody who has a brain will be clamoring to get the Masterpiece Veritechs from toynami - because those are "great" if judged by the standards of 1988 - but not so great if you judge by modern standards.

The chunkies from Bandai are awesome not just because of what we remember as kids but - I think - because they represent a real step forward in toy making technology - a step towards more reaistic transformations, excellent poseability, sleek jet modes - it's all there.

Heck..

Think about it looking at Transformers - the G1 seekers that Shoji Kawamorii designed have NO KIBBLE in their undercarriage. True - they are bricks that don't move more than their arms - but no kibble in jet mode.

Later Transformers jets all suffered from more and more kibble. In fact, post G1, all we've had is kibble-tastic transforming jets, culminating in an F-22 with barrels under its' wings, a head sticking out of the afterburners or - in the ROTF version - a dead chicken's legs coming out below the tail fins...

Part of how you judge whether a toy is meant to attain "legend" status is by looking at what is POSSIBLE to achieve at the time the toy is designed/produced.

ROTF Devastator is EPIC FAIL because the technology exists to produce something amazing. Heck - even if you sacrifice individual robot modes - this SHOULD HAVE given the design team the scope to create a weathered, detailed, hydraulics and pistons filled Devastator. But no.

ROTF Devastator is basically a jumbo sized happy meal Transformer.

Not going to achieve legendary status.

Toys which achieve the highest standards and use existing tech to the max and also push that tech forward on the other hand DO achieve lasting success.

This is why "chunky" G1 diaclone based Transformers are still popular. This is why Bandai's chunky munky is still popular. It is nostalgia - yes - but remember that in order for something to fuel such powerful nostalgia it had to be a huge revolution in its' time.

Pete

I wouldn't buy any more chunkys now but I would never sell the ones I have. Took too long dreaming about them. I would sell off the few 1/60 v.1s that I have in a heartbeat (but I'm too lazy to). So modernness and so called space age ingenuity doesn't always win. If you bought a Michealangelo... you wouldn't sell it for a picasso. Or maybe you would, what the frakk do I know about that crap... I collect toys!

I grew up in the 80's a huge fan of Robotech and had never seen any Chunkies. I didn't even know they existed. However when I started collecting Macross toys a couple years ago, I instantly fell in love with them. I have no idea why.

Some guys may go for chunky girls, and I guess some guys tend to go for chunky robots. This may be why there is such a divide over the new Bandai DX's.

I have some Yamatos back in the states, but I can wait to get a real Bandai or Takatoku valk. The only 1/55s I have are jetfires and some spare heads. Every week I go into the Mandarake shop in Akiba and stare at the Super Ostrich and other Takatokus. Can't wait to save up some cash (>.<)

Edit: Does that mean I haven't even come "half circle" and will eventually toss the Chunkies in favor of my Yamatos, only to regret it later?

Edited by optimator88

If you bought a Michealangelo... you wouldn't sell it for a picasso. Or maybe you would, what the fart do I know about that poo... I collect toys!

This needs to go on the front page of Macross World as the official website banner :) Pure poetry! :) Love it!

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
feh. I grew up with them... just like I prefer my ipod over my aiwa personal cassette player, I prefer my CAD designed, anime accurate, tampo printed yammie over a chunkie.

Nostalgia only goes so far.

that's all well and good, as i myself prefer the state of the art YAMATOs the the classic chunkies, but, concerning Audiocassettes, will an IPOD ever have incredible High-Technology works of art like these as recording media?!?!

TDKMA-XG04-09-2009.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

I don't miss my Walkman, VCRs, getting 5 TV stations off of an antenna that would go fuzzy very time a @!$% bird landed on it, and I definatly do not miss the 1/55 scale chunk 'o crap that Bandi put out in the 80's. Yuck. I had one when I was a kid, had to do some heavy trading to get it too, - actually it was a G1 Transformers Jet Fire that I customized to be a Valk. The only reason I loved it was because that was all I had. Now I have Yamato producing quality toys that look and pose the way I could only dream my old chunky monkey would. I, for one, am never, ever going or looking back.

With me, I love the 1/55's. Something about the design that I grew up with keeps me coming back. After I got my 1/48, I decided not to get any other Valk toy. That didn't last long. I ended up regretting that I missed out on the 2002 reissues, and jumped at the chance to get the VF-1J Hikaru when the Origin of Valkyrie line was released last year. Still disappointed that it seems dead.

For it's time it was revolutionary, and even now, outside of Macross, it is still better than many transforming jet toys of today. For a Macross toy, it's durability and sturdiness remains unmatched. Sure it's not the most accurate VF-1 toy out there, but I love the look of it. Even if Bandai retooled it to have missles that can be attached while still in battroid mode with wings swept back, ball jointed, or universal hip joints, and a place to store the gun in fighter mode, I would be happy. It's a great toy.

Usually the 1st toys of an anime series from decades past tend to suck. Yet the 1/55 VF-1 is a far cry from many of it's competitors 20+years ago, and even compared to some toys of today.

I don't miss my Walkman, VCRs,

indeed, the vast majority of VCRs out there are completely forgettable, though there ARE several jewels out there, this being the crowning one;

JVC HR-S8000U S-VHS (1988)

JVCHR-S8000UMACGYVER1.jpg

DSCF0299.jpg

7158_3.jpg

HR-S8000U52.jpg

HR-S8000UBRAXUS4.jpg

DSCF2173.jpg

the very best way to enjoy my VHS Anime collection, many titles of which are not available on DVD. and, in case you think i'm living completely in the video stone age;

PIONEER DV-09 DVD PLAYER (1998)

DV-09MacGyver06-16-09.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

yeah, that's a nice VCR... but going back to the OP... when my VCR died I didn't rush out and buy a new one, nor do I scour the classifieds and ebay looking for VHS cassettes to buy.

The point is, I love my chunky back in the day and if mine had survived the ravages of time, I'm sure *that one* would hold a special place in my heart... but I'm not going to go out and drop money on acquiring new ones and especially not re-releases of them, not when there are vastly superior toys available.

Awesome VCR!

I was just thinking to myself the other day that VCRs were the pre-cursor to downloading, because you could record stuff from the TV. I remember recording Transformers the Movie when they showed in in the mornings in five parts :) My mum wouldn't get me the Video, so I just recorded it instead :) yay me :)

I used to have an Apple II computer - worked perfectly - but I think it got given away to some kid... :p

Err... and ... I am disapointed that no one in this thread has yet written:

"And now the circle is complete. I was once the student, now I am the Master."

Of course...that would mean that Bandai is ...evil?....

Pete

Err... and ... I am disapointed that no one in this thread has yet written:

"And now the circle is complete. I was once the student, now I am the Master."

Of course...that would mean that Bandai is ...evil?....

Pete

Any company that makes us continually spend 3 figures on a dang toy is evil. :lol: