Macross Frontier Diorama

ron5864

Here's a diorama for the MacrossCon09. It is a Macross Frontier set depicting the moments after Alto jumps into Gilliam's VF-25F, as Alto tries to protect the green-hair girl from ending like Gilliam.

This was started around November '08 because the original Macross Island diorama (which was going to be at MacrossCon09) was sold to a MW member. With limited time because of work and other projects, this was going to be a challenge. So 7 months later, here is the Macross Frontier Diorama: Ranka's Rescue. :lol:

Aaahhhhhh...

post-7534-1246559140_thumb.jpeg

Ranka-chan and Alto-kun meet again...

post-7534-1246559355_thumb.jpeg

What Ozma sees from above once zooming in...

post-7534-1246559276_thumb.jpeg

Frontier cable car from Powel Fishermann's to Shibuya Market Street...

post-7534-1246559317_thumb.jpeg

Heading towards Sheryl's concert...so Don't Be Late....

post-7534-1246559332_thumb.jpeg

More photos are in the Photos Gallery.

See you at the MacrossCon09. ;)

Oh Ranka. WHY are you so useless?

Well, not every girl can be quick witted and composed like Sheryl...

For those who would like to see it presented in a short video format, here is the link:

To answer some questions...it is a 1/72 VF-25F with HO-scale(1/87) buildings, cars, cable car and so on. Ranka was custom made from an HO-scale figure. In the future, I might add a little more details and Ozma's armored VF-25S standing in front of Alto.

To answer some questions...it is a 1/72 VF-25F with HO-scale(1/87) buildings, cars, cable car and so on. Ranka was custom made from an HO-scale figure. In the future, I might add a little more details and Ozma's armored VF-25S standing in front of Alto.

Just what I thought... since I heard that Bandai VF-25's pilots are smaller than they should, H0 scale shouldn't see so disproportionate.

Again, congratulations!! ^_^

Awesome work Ron! Eeven the video is smooooth as Exlax! I think you stole Mr. Rodger's trolly though :lol: Seriously man, it looks great! You get my absentee vote for the convention "Best Diorama." - MT

It does capture that "San Francisco look" from the TV series! but really, as somebody already pointed out, some orange lights would make the illusion even more convincing.

It is quite amazing that the 1/72 model looks so comfortable within a 1/87 environment...even in the anime, the Valk did look quite tall in Gerwalk mode. I am quite sure the same model in a 1/72 environment would look a lot smaller than it is usually shown on screen. Maybe the VF-25 needs to have its measures retconed :lol:

Outstanding Diorama! The environment looks great. Great photography too. Makes me feel like I'm inside it. Congratulations!

Edited by nickster

Excellent work! The buildings are well-chosen. Good job on Ranka and the VF-25, too.

Just to be extra-nitpicky: Didn't Gilliam's VF have a different decoration on top of the battroid head?

Yea, the top of the head was white, just like the rest of the body. Plus there was some damage to the top nose section too. Maybe I can correct those at a later date.