Robotech and HG License Debates

Force Five was a much better way to get around syndication by presenting the shows as one package without wholly rewriting them as one show (although they were still edited).

Too bad I've never seen Force Five...Oh, that's right...It came on Showtime premium cable channel not the UHF that Robotech landed on..So which series had the most impact on early anime watchers?..

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Hmmm... I can't share your enthusiasm for RT, and thus I can't see where any good could come out of adapting Macross II (or anything else) for RT.

Yeah, it would be like Robotech and its fans learning nothing from everything that has happened to the franchise and the anime industry, which moved away from their methods of releasing shows, in the last 25 years. If this were a time before the anime boom, plans like that would have worked, but they wouldn't be taken seriously if they tried to pull something like that today. And it's not just a problem creatively; nowadays creators have a better understanding of how much their animation can be worth overseas. In addition to reworking whatever they get, HG would have to pay a lot more just for the rights over animation and the material that comes with it. I also assume HG is now a notorious name in the industry as well, so it can be even worse for them to go this route because of their history with groundbreaking entities in Japan.

Hmmm... I can't share your enthusiasm for RT, and thus I can't see where any good could come out of adapting Macross II (or anything else) for RT.

So that HG can make more money off of other peoples works ? To continue the Robotech storyline of course :p

I also assume HG is now a notorious name in the industry as well, so it can be even worse for them to go this route because of their history with groundbreaking entities in Japan.

I doubt that other big players in Japanese animation industry, apart from BigWest & Tatsunoko, gave a fart on HG, or that HG is even insignificant in grander scheme of things.

SDF: Macross is not really groundbreaking, Gundam was. Reason, Gundam pretty well swallows up the entire mecha genre.

I doubt that other big players in Japanese animation industry, apart from BigWest & Tatsunoko, gave a fart on HG, or that HG is even insignificant in grander scheme of things.

SDF: Macross is not really groundbreaking, Gundam was. Reason, Gundam pretty well swallows up the entire mecha genre.

Mechs that had 3 transformations and was copied numerous times wasn't groundbreaking...

Actually Harmony Gold, or at least Carl Macek, released other anime to the U.S. using similar techniques as Robotech with varying results. This is where the groundbreaking part comes from. There was an edited version of Fist of the North Star film using a different ending that the Japanese crew rejected, a dub of Windaria that changed the overall tone of the film, and the confusing cut and paste job of Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years that made it almost incomprehensible. They've probably made a name for themselves in Japan by now.

Well, that's why I said the Macross fan in me kinda hesitated on that.

Macross II exists. It's finished. There's a subtitled version and an (admittedly terrible) English dub. Why take it and screw around with it so that they'll talk about "Veritechs" fueled by "Protoculture"? What's the gain? There would still be no Rick Hunter (unless Hibiki is his grandson), no Dana Sterling (unless Sylvie becomes her daughter), and no Scott Bernard (unless...I dunno, let's say Mash is his nephew). For what purpose? Just to have another DVD that says "ROBOTECH" on the front?

Obviously. For the bloodsuck... uhhh ... capitalistic HG to bleed .... uhhh ... to make more money & nice tidy profits before the franchise drew its last breath.

You've seen Macross II. You know the story, you know the ending. I suppose they could REALLY hack it up in order to generate a few surprises along the way, but why? What's wrong with Macross II as it is?

I've seen enough posts over Mac II vs Mac 7 in MW, so let's not go into that ....

Now, I admit that when I was a kid, I wished HG would pick up DYRL and release that, but that was just so I could get a legal VHS tape of it in a language I could understand ("Clash of the Bionoids" wasn't available in the U.S. yet). I knew they would slice it up, cut out a lot of scenes, and change everything to Robotech-isms, but I figured that was a necessary evil for getting it over to the Western world

Let's just say even BigWest erred on 'Clash of the Bionoids' thingies .....

That's no longer true. Macross II has been around in the States for more than fifteen years now, and unedited anime is the norm on DVD. And I think that's something to be applauded.

Macross II can be readapted, without any butche .... editing needed. What was needed, changed the Mardook's motivation, racial identity & vice versa. Plus, post apocalypse Macross II world kinda smack dab with the post GC Mospeada / RT:TNG. With 'creative' writings, it can be done.

But as I said, even I hesitate to include Macross II into RT-verse .... better RT to lived on with MOSPEADA as its basis. RT is better of than continue living in Macross shadows.

As it stands, the story of RT is incomplete, which I guess is one of the things that keeps the fanbase going. Scott Bernard has to find Rick Hunter, right? But for a variety of reasons, it's probably never going to happen. You could re-edit and incorporate every robot anime in the history of Japan into Robotech, but it wouldn't do anything except create more loose ends, and make everything more confused and confusing.

That's where comics or even novels could do, to flesh out the RT-verse. RT is riddled with inconsistencies, but by targeting new (mostly kids or teenagers) demographic, they don't care about plotholes. Of course, only annoying RT older fans will whine ... but hey, since when HG listens to fans.

Personally, I think the time for RT has really passed...it was kind of a transitional work between the heavily edited and kiddified English anime series of the '70s and early '80s, and the unfiltered anime boom of the '90s. As such, it has its place in history, but as a living, breathing continuing story...? No disrespect, but I just don't see it.

But people @ HG or the RT fans might not see your way. As for me, I'm burnout on it (& Macross to an extent), thus moved on to bigger things in life (like Gundam :lol: :lol: ). What I give is basically how RT can moved on ... although I personally prefer they pulled a MOSPEADA II series, & reedited it into RT has much better merit than shoehorning Mac II.

So I'll ask you...you called that idea a "wet dream" for RT fans. Why? Why is Robotech-ized Macross II a good companion piece to the actual Macross II? And why is continuing RT a good and noteworthy project?

It is a wet dream, with all that Valk II & Gilgamesh & Marduk pods vaguely resembled SDF: Macross or RT: Macross Saga. Deluded RT fans will undoubtedly lapped up pseudo 'Veritech', neo 'Bioroids', aggressive 'Masters & Zentraedi ilks', big alien 'Robotech' fleet threatened Earth storyline once more. Ever wonder why RT: Macross Saga is RT fans no. 1 segment of all three arc?

Of course, having Palladium who once distributed both RT & Mac II RPG titles kinda put a nail on that dream ....

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious. :)

You can also be sarcastic, its RT for Pete's sake. Heck, its MW, where's the pitchfork? :lol:

Edited by Protoculture

Actually Harmony Gold, or at least Carl Macek, released other anime to the U.S. using similar techniques as Robotech with varying results. This is where the groundbreaking part comes from. There was an edited version of Fist of the North Star film using a different ending that the Japanese crew rejected, a dub of Windaria that changed the overall tone of the film, and the confusing cut and paste job of Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years that made it almost incomprehensible. They've probably made a name for themselves in Japan by now.

Macek, definitely. But then again, how many big players in Japan animation industry actually give a fart into that ol guy? Japan animation industry is pretty much insular, they cater to homecrowds, not to any self professed anime fans of the gaijin world.

Perhaps ol farts in Japanimation do, but the newer, hippier angst ridden, bubblegum pop new Japanese animators don't even knew or care about Macek or HG into account (with exception of Big West & Tatsunoko).

Edited by Protoculture

Well, that's why I said the Macross fan in me kinda hesitated on that.

Obviously. For the bloodsuck... uhhh ... capitalistic HG to bleed .... uhhh ... to make more money & nice tidy profits before the franchise drew its last breath.

I've seen enough posts over Mac II vs Mac 7 in MW, so let's not go into that ....

Let's just say even BigWest erred on 'Clash of the Bionoids' thingies .....

Macross II can be readapted, without any butche .... editing needed. What was needed, changed the Mardook's motivation, racial identity & vice versa. Plus, post apocalypse Macross II world kinda smack dab with the post GC Mospeada / RT:TNG. With 'creative' writings, it can be done.

But as I said, even I hesitate to include Macross II into RT-verse .... better RT to lived on with MOSPEADA as its basis. RT is better of than continue living in Macross shadows.

That's where comics or even novels could do, to flesh out the RT-verse. RT is riddled with inconsistencies, but by targeting new (mostly kids or teenagers) demographic, they don't care about plotholes. Of course, only annoying RT older fans will whine ... but hey, since when HG listens to fans.

But people @ HG or the RT fans might not see your way. As for me, I'm burnout on it (& Macross to an extent), thus moved on to bigger things in life (like Gundam :lol: :lol: ). What I give is basically how RT can moved on ... although I personally prefer they pulled a MOSPEADA II series, & reedited it into RT has much better merit than shoehorning Mac II.

It is a wet dream, with all that Valk II & Gilgamesh & Marduk pods vaguely resembled SDF: Macross or RT: Macross Saga. Deluded RT fans will undoubtedly lapped up pseudo 'Veritech', neo 'Bioroids', aggressive 'Masters & Zentraedi ilks', big alien 'Robotech' fleet threatened Earth storyline once more. Ever wonder why RT: Macross Saga is RT fans no. 1 segment of all three arc?

Of course, having Palladium who once distributed both RT & Mac II RPG titles kinda put a nail on that dream ....

You can also be sarcastic, its RT for Pete's sake. Heck, its MW, where's the pitchfork? :lol:

You're not making a very good case for it, and it's YOUR idea! :p

Nah, I understand if you've moved on...and Gundam is quite good (some of it, anyway).

But if you ever do get the RT/Macross II itchin' again, here's my suggestion:

Watch Macross II. Hum the RT theme loudly during the opening credits.

Every time someone in the show says "Valkyrie," you shout "Veritech."

Every time someone says "Ship of the Alus," you shout "legendary Protoculture Matrix."

Every time someone in the show says "Hibiki Kanzaki," you shout "Roy Hunter."

Every time an African-American character shows up, you name 'em "Grant."

And every time someone says Mardook, you shout "Robotech Ãœber-Masters."

It should give you the same efect as if they actually had dubbed it that way... :D

Too bad I've never seen Force Five...Oh, that's right...It came on Showtime premium cable channel not the UHF that Robotech landed on..So which series had the most impact on early anime watchers?..

Force Five was shown on various UHF channels across New England. It's still a better idea than Robotech and it gets people to keep watching after the show switches to the next generation. Also Starblazers and Voltron had just as much impact.

Force Five was shown on various UHF channels across New England. It's still a better idea than Robotech and it gets people to keep watching after the show switches to the next generation. Also Starblazers and Voltron had just as much impact.

New England, huh? Robotech was on the air on WBFF 45 in Baltimore and WDCA 20 in Washington D.C. At the same time..

I feel people use Force Five to put down Robotech because their cartoons weren't connected but to me I like the generational aspect of RT. It did allow you to see the future even if you didn't seen the fates of other characters.

Let's not forget that Force Five's production was hardly what one would call professional. The actors were the same people as the "writers" and "producers" and it sounds like the dub was recorded in a public restroom. The theme song is just the Japanese them song with the vocals taken out. Very bargain basement.

I feel people use Force Five to put down Robotech because their cartoons weren't connected but to me I like the generational aspect of RT. It did allow you to see the future even if you didn't seen the fates of other characters.

It was a pretty grim and disjointed future even if things had to go to hell and back and hell again for drama. They had the habit of discarding a lot of people once their usefulness was over or they weren't popular enough to keep alive. But was it really worth it with all the unfortunate implications that the method created (older fans may know more about them than me)?

Ex. The Rick Hunter attempted mass murder accusation, currently retconned for those reasons.

Edited by Einherjar

Two little known facts about Robotech.

#1 The show was shown way back in '84 here in Houston (Carl Macek chose the city to test it, most likely because he lived here; hell, he runs ADV here somewhere, most likely the Galleria area).

#2 During the episode "Symphony of Light" Scott Bernard blew away an injured and unarmed Corg with a VR-051 Battler Plasma/Napalm mini-missle at point blank range right after the latter crashed his Royal Command Battloid in a scene that was cut for the natoinal release (I had a running war over at Robotech.com over this one, ask them). From the look on Corg's face, you knew the bastard was about to die.

Why Harmony Gold won't release the 1984 test version on DVD is beyond me.

#1 The show was shown way back in '84 here in Houston (Carl Macek chose the city to test it, most likely because he lived here; hell, he runs ADV here somewhere, most likely the Galleria area).

#2 During the episode "Symphony of Light" Scott Bernard blew away an injured and unarmed Corg with a VR-051 Battler Plasma/Napalm mini-missle at point blank range right after the latter crashed his Royal Command Battloid in a scene that was cut for the natoinal release (I had a running war over at Robotech.com over this one, ask them). From the look on Corg's face, you knew the bastard was about to die.

I think that scene was on the remastered set. It was pretty bloody.

It was a pretty grim and disjointed future even if things had to go to hell and back and hell again for drama. They had the habit of discarding a lot of people once their usefulness was over or they weren't popular enough to keep alive.

Not to mention all the material, equipment, and weaponry that just disappears in the blink of an eye. "Multi-generational epic" sounds good on paper, but its really just a marketing ploy. It is one of those things you have to really be committed to just to get even half right. When you compare Robotech's idea of generational conflict to say Gundam or even Macross, its all completely laughable by its own "just take out word for it" approach. Even Shadow Chronicles couldn't shake that.

I don't remember that scene from the original MOSPEADA. I'll have to watch and check.

Well, how I remember the scene they cut it right when Scott Bernard fired the missle. Even cyc over at Robotech.com didn't believe me (and he's a Genesis Climber Mospeda fan). It's nice to see at least someone here knows what I'm talking about. B))

"Multi-generational epic" sounds good on paper, but its really just a marketing ploy. It is one of those things you have to really be committed to just to get even half right. When you compare Robotech's idea of generational conflict to say Gundam or even Macross, its all completely laughable by its own "just take out word for it" approach. Even Shadow Chronicles couldn't shake that.

I'm kind of irritated too at the rationale people make about the multi-generational thing working well; the expanded universe material. It's as if they expect people like me to seek out all these comic books, novels, RPG books, etc. to understand how they got to Shadow Chronicles. It does sound like a marketing scheme for newbies to pay attention to all their old crap, not because it's enjoyable, but more because you'd be completely lost without it. But it's pretty much useless now because of the giant retcon that took place. Unless you found everything from online sources you would have wasted so much money on stuff that has little to no relevance to what you just saw.

But it sure gave the illusion that the Robotech universe was huge, doesn't it?

I'm kind of irritated too at the rationale people make about the multi-generational thing working well; the expanded universe material. It's as if they expect people like me to seek out all these comic books, novels, RPG books, etc. to understand how they got to Shadow Chronicles. It does sound like a marketing scheme for newbies to pay attention to all their old crap, not because it's enjoyable, but more because you'd be completely lost without it. But it's pretty much useless now because of the giant retcon that took place. Unless you found everything from online sources you would have wasted so much money on stuff that has little to no relevance to what you just saw.

I watched the show in '85, before all the added material, and it wasn't confusing...well, not VERY confusing. I did wonder about the SDF-2, and why Zor Prime was wearing a Southern Cross uniform in flashbacks, but that was about it.

Of course, I also knew going in that it was three unrelated shows crammed together.

But yeah...one thing I've heard (well, read, actually) RT fans say is that they like it better than Macross because of the epic sweep and multi-generational storyline...which I find odd, because isn't Macross multi-generational, too?

But yeah...one thing I've heard (well, read, actually) RT fans say is that they like it better than Macross because of the epic sweep and multi-generational storyline...which I find odd, because isn't Macross multi-generational, too?

Not in one all-encompassing package which can be digested in 1 sitting. RT wraps it all up in one messy but packaged set. Macross requires time and effort to hunt down and watch, which RT fans lack.

Not in one all-encompassing package which can be digested in 1 sitting. RT wraps it all up in one messy but packaged set. Macross requires time and effort to hunt down and watch, which RT fans lack.

I'm tellin' ya, we need a real-life Richard Birla-style eccentric billionaire to buy all the rights for all the Macross series, and put them out in several boxsets, with timeline and production order clearly marked. That'd solve the confusion for all but the most imbecilic of consumers.

Epic? The main story outside of the expanded universe focused mostly on Earth getting razed multiple times. Lots of people in the later generations failed miserably when it came to safeguarding the most important things for humanity. It took one lone Martian, who knew very little about Earth to begin with and may or may not be a space racist, to fix 2 generations worth of mistakes. But then we learn humanity shot themselves in the foot yet again by making a deal with the devil. Well, at least they got back a ravaged Earth and kicked out all the current aliens from the planet. Back to square one?

I don't know, humanity in this series seems to be full of fail after the Macross generation.

Edited by Einherjar

You're not making a very good case for it, and it's YOUR idea! :p

Ahhh, well, being an RT fan limited one's mindset, y'know .... thus Macross far more liberating, BOOMBAAAAAA!

Nah, I understand if you've moved on...and Gundam is quite good (some of it, anyway).

I'll stick to UC Era .....

But if you ever do get the RT/Macross II itchin' again, here's my suggestion:

Watch Macross II. Hum the RT theme loudly during the opening credits.

Every time someone in the show says "Valkyrie," you shout "Veritech."

Every time someone says "Ship of the Alus," you shout "legendary Protoculture Matrix."

Every time someone in the show says "Hibiki Kanzaki," you shout "Roy Hunter."

Every time an African-American character shows up, you name 'em "Grant."

And every time someone says Mardook, you shout "Robotech Ãœber-Masters."

It should give you the same efect as if they actually had dubbed it that way... :D

For RT itchin', there's always that RTSC lying around somewhere .... for Macross II, heck, its being a long time since I ever rewatch the darn thing, for Macross fix I kinda stick to Macross 7 ... never knew why .... BOMMBAAAAA!

Damn J-Pop to hell! :lol:

Definitely WRONG! Even in original MOSPEADA, that footage you said didn't exist. That Inbit prince (Corg) blew up with his Gorse (Gosu) after Stig (Scott) spammed 'im with missiles & lasers from his TLEAD (BETA).

We clearly see his cockpit burst with greenish spray (standard Inbit blood / goo) ... in fact I'm rewatching the same scene right now, not the RT version, but the GC MOSPEADA instead ...

Well, how I remember the scene they cut it right when Scott Bernard fired the missle. Even cyc over at Robotech.com didn't believe me (and he's a Genesis Climber Mospeda fan). It's nice to see at least someone here knows what I'm talking about.

Please do not doubt Cyc. He is to my knowledge is the most knowleadgable guy on Mospeada-verse apart from uRRG guys like Pieter Thomassen & Robert Morgenstern.

In the broad sense, yes, RT fans tend to treat RT some sort of hard sci-fi as that compared to Star Wars or Star Trek. I believe even Seto can vouch for that.

I myself prefer the more 'adult' theme of RT, but with Macross, its kinda hard when there's Macross 7 attached to it ... music beat alien everytime & so forth .... but that is very subjective.

With RT, its tend to somber all the way, but Macross is both somber & fun. Kinda make sense Macross-verse wins hands down, coz everybody gotta have fun!

For me I have to say I enjoy both Macross & RT in equal measures,tho seperate reasons (saw macorss before RT came to life). I kinda liken them to parellel universes. I know HG will always get stick for merging 3 excellent stand alone anime`s into the RT saga. However they did do a decent job & as for RT TSC,i did like it,great to see CVR3 armor back in play. Hell if someone ran a series (mini or full length) following a Spec Ops Military team in CVR3 armor & Cyclone`s,I`d be estatic.

That's where we run into one of biggest problems in fandom. That is the concept of "potential." I first ran into this concept when I was getting back into Transformers. I found that there was a sizable contingent of people who loved the Generation 1 cartoon and thought it was the best part of the franchise because of its "potential" for stories like fanfic, fan comics, and the like. Basically all the little nuggets of characterization and plot somehow made it better than the the Marvel comics or Beast Wars. You have the same thing with Robotech. All the talk of a multi-generational story and epic hard sci-fi (clearly these people have never actually watched Mospeada or Southern Cross). Certainly the tie-in media like Tim Eldred's comics or the novels may lead you to believe this is true, but we all know all of these ideas are poorly executed within the Robotech series itself. My problem with the notion of a series's "potential" is that you start praising a show for what people can make of it and attributing those qualities to it rather than praising a show for what it is. And frankly, praising Robotech for being more somber and adult (seriously did you watch Mospeada?) is unfair since the Macross sequels were all made a different times while the other parts of Robotech are cash ins on the era of robot shows created by Gundam and the original Macross.

Oddly enough, the one time I called into the Space Station Liberty podcast, the host was taking time to talk about Macross Frontier. He admitted that Macross feels like a living world while Robotech is very stagnant. People, places, ideas, and things actually persist in Macross. Honestly though, if things were to persist the same way in Robotech then the whole thing would start to break down as the disparate styles become immediately evident. One thing the Robotech comics make especially apparent is how damn silly the whole universe looks when you have people in Macross uniforms (with their hang gliding collars), people in Southern Cross samurai armor, and Mospeada armor all part of the same military.

Seriously, does this look like it makes any sense?

post-1819-1242993155_thumb.jpg

One thing the Robotech comics make especially apparent is how damn silly the whole universe looks when you have people in Macross uniforms (with their hang gliding collars), people in Southern Cross samurai armor, and Mospeada armor all part of the same military.

I have to say, this never bothered me.

As an adult, I really didn't think twice about it. Look at the real world, with how different different military forces' dress uniforms are, and then compare them from different countries. Seems fine with three militaries in RT, one essentially being North American, one being South American, and one being returning colonial forces who have changed and developed over a couple decades away.

As a kid, I thought it was cool finally seeing the different looks and generations appearing together. I also liked the frosted side (sorry, bad joke).

Wow, that's stereotypical, even kind of racist outside its context of the story by today's standards.

The concepts haven't aged well. In retrospect, HG made a poor choice for material to use for an epic that could stay relevant with the times. Among other reasons, I guess that's why they've shunned the Southern Cross portion ever since.

Edited by Einherjar

I want to see this scene too - someone find a link or something and post it . . .

I rewatched it last night, and that scene is not there in MOSPEADA. Though HG did have a new ending made for Megazone 23 when they made Robotech: The Movie: The Untold Story: Additional Subtitles Here, I really doubt they paid to have a new, more violent scene of Corg's death made.

What you describe actually resembles the ending to Robotech the Movie. Replace Scott Bernard with Mark Landry (Shogo) and Corg with B.D. Andrews (B.D.), and you've pretty much got the ending to the Movie. Your hometown, Houston, was also one of the few places that screened Robotech the Movie. Is it possible that your memory is simply juxtaposing the two?

What you describe actually resembles the ending to Robotech the Movie. Replace Scott Bernard with Mark Landry (Shogo) and Corg with B.D. Andrews (B.D.), and you've pretty much got the ending to the Movie. Your hometown, Houston, was also one of the few places that screened Robotech the Movie. Is it possible that your memory is simply juxtaposing the two?

Though, it wasn't a Battler it was a Beta/Tread fighter.

post-356-1243026039_thumb.jpg

post-356-1243026050_thumb.jpg

post-356-1243026057_thumb.jpg

post-356-1243026066_thumb.jpg

post-356-1243026158_thumb.jpg

post-356-1243026432_thumb.jpg

Edited by terry the lone wolf