Why didn't they use call signs in Macross?

bigkid24

Just something I was thinking about when I was thinking about customizing a CF to have me as a pilot. I was thinking of my name and my call sign but then realized that there were no call signs in Macross. Anybody have any good ideas or speculation as to why not?

Hmm...that is a tough one to answer. Of all of the inspiration Kawamori-san got to create such a kick ass anime series like Macross, you'd think callsigns would be part of it. Warplanes and the names of them and some of the characters sure were aviation inspired. :unsure:

You know this was something I didn't even think about, usually in military themed shows most fighter pilots have call signs. Interesting that in Macross, which heavy on the fighter action didn't have these. Hmm maybe call signs aren't as common in the military as we are lead to believe, that could be why. Then again my knowledge on the subject is very limited. Anyone care to clear this up?

It could just be me but aren't "callsigns" a fairly modern western military thing? I don't believe I've ever heard of other eastern countries using "callsigns" with their pilots until they got "westernized". Like back in WW2 (the great granddaddy of Japanese military basis in most of these anime shows) Japanese fighter pilots took their "callsigns" from their unit and number like "Lotus 12" or "Sparrow 8"... they never had made up (and IMHO dorky) callsign names like "iceman", "maverick" or "goose".

ok, here's what i know so far (regarding modern call-sign stuff), they dont say the call sign over the radio anymore because it's not "professional" instead the use the code-name of the flight or the squadron name followed by a number. The movies just over exaggerated the call-sign thing in order to appeal to people watching the movie.

ok, here's what i know so far (regarding modern call-sign stuff), they dont say the call sign over the radio anymore because it's not "professional" instead the use the code-name of the flight or the squadron name followed by a number. The movies just over exaggerated the call-sign thing in order to appeal to people watching the movie.

Yeah, call-signs are more to make fun of the pilots. For some odd reason, people have been implimenting so many interesting ways to give pilots a hard time - like it's going to kill their egos, or something. ;):lol:

Well, they weren't call signs per se, but many times they are refered to by squadron + number (e.g. Skull 1, Vermillion 1, etc.).

I find it amusing that of all the colors available, they chose "vermilion" to name a squadron. (That is a translation of the original Macross, not a RT thing, right?) How many of us know for sure what "vermilion" is--no web searches!

Is there a Chartreuse Squadron? Ecru? Mauve? Burnt Sienna? Raw Umber?

Edit: P.S., yes, I'm aware they outdid themselves with the Pink Peckers...

Edited by ewilen

I find it amusing that of all the colors available, they chose "vermilion" to name a squadron. (That is a translation of the original Macross, not a RT thing, right?) How many of us know for sure what "vermilion" is--no web searches!

Yes, it's from Macross, also it's the sqad in RahXephon - good show.

For the meaning, check here: Dictionary.com

It depends. For any formal announcements (to your squadron, ground, AWACS, etc) it'll be the flight's call sign plus flight number (Air Force) or squadron call sign plus modex number (Navy, and I think Marines).

Thus, if you were flying the Jolly Roger's CAG plane, you'd report in as "Victory 101". (Call signs aren't the squadron names, and are often TOTALLY unrelated).

If it was an Air Force F-16 or something, it's usually something like Wolf, Viper, Stiletto, Hammer, etc. "Viper 52" for the flight or something.

Now, as for personal call signs, they're used all time time, for one-on-one, etc. If you're just calling your wingman, or talking to the RIO, they seem to use the callsigns ALL the time, at least from what I've read.

Finally--people don't pick their callsigns, they're given to you, and are often derogatory. Callsigns aren't Iceman, Viper, etc. They're Stinky, Greasy, Dogboy, etc. If you're lucky, it'll be something like Smiley, Gizmo, or Froggy.

Though my all time fave was a Lt Royce. Call sign "Rolls". :) Also fond of Cmdr (I think) "Race" Bannon. (Though so few people get that nowadays, but it's so perfect if you get it). Just saw a call sign "Psycho" a few days ago on TV. (F-15 pilot).

They didn't use call signs in AREA 88 either. Of course, they all had death wishes on their minds so I'm sure they didn't give a damn about cutesy names for themselves...

It depends. For any formal announcements (to your squadron, ground, AWACS, etc) it'll be the flight's call sign plus flight number (Air Force) or squadron call sign plus modex number (Navy, and I think Marines).

Thus, if you were flying the Jolly Roger's CAG plane, you'd report in as "Victory 101". (Call signs aren't the squadron names, and are often TOTALLY unrelated).

If it was an Air Force F-16 or something, it's usually something like Wolf, Viper, Stiletto, Hammer, etc. "Viper 52" for the flight or something.

Now, as for personal call signs, they're used all time time, for one-on-one, etc. If you're just calling your wingman, or talking to the RIO, they seem to use the callsigns ALL the time, at least from what I've read.

Finally--people don't pick their callsigns, they're given to you, and are often derogatory. Callsigns aren't Iceman, Viper, etc. They're Stinky, Greasy, Dogboy, etc. If you're lucky, it'll be something like Smiley, Gizmo, or Froggy.

Though my all time fave was a Lt Royce. Call sign "Rolls". :) Also fond of Cmdr (I think) "Race" Bannon. (Though so few people get that nowadays, but it's so perfect if you get it). Just saw a call sign "Psycho" a few days ago on TV. (F-15 pilot).

David is absolutley right, Marines use the same form of section/flight/squadron call signs as the Navy.

I want to add one thing when they use a callsign like "Viper52" its not "Viper fifty-two" it's "Viper five-two", why? I'm not sure but My NROTC instructors told us it was far easier to understand on the radio. The favorite call signs I've seen so far are "Easy" Laye and "Hroney Toad" :D

David and Coota0 are correct, I'm an Air Traffic Controller. Navy, Marine, and Air Force I have their squadron OPS assign them the callsign for that particular flight (usually from a set they normally use.)Coota0 is corect also, according to the FAA 7110.65 (the controller bible) Numbers are to be pronounced separately. It keeps it more clear. HOWEVER, airline and air taxis can have their flight numbers condenced such as US Air 1038 (ten thirty eight). Also, civilian aircraft can have the numbers reduced to the last 3 numbers after intial call-up, N12345 can be called N(november)345 or aircraft type (cessna) 345. We cannot condence Military callsigns though.

Chris