Dollhouse (new series by Joss Whedon)

sharky

Is their a fifth column in the dollhouse, or was that part of the con?

No offense meant toward the actress playing the neighbor/Shadow doll do they keep some specialty dolls with odd qualities for certain missions, or did they actually snatch his neighbor and hack her brain for surveillance.

I believe she has been a doll for some time now, they just never used her. Didn't it seem odd she tried so hard to get next to the FBI guy (whose name eludes me right now)? She even shows up to his job, I mean really for want just to hang out??

now if they could just lay off the asian stereotypes I'll be really happy. In one episode we had: subservient geeky girl, subservient hotty victim girl, random kung-fu dude and chinese restaurant dude. Maybe if they can cut it down to just one racial stereotype a night or two if they're in a pinch and need to have "yajuza dude" for random baddie for eliza to beat up on.

now if they could just lay off the asian stereotypes I'll be really happy. In one episode we had: subservient geeky girl, subservient hotty victim girl, random kung-fu dude and chinese restaurant dude. Maybe if they can cut it down to just one racial stereotype a night or two if they're in a pinch and need to have "yajuza dude" for random baddie for eliza to beat up on.

That's a bit unfair. Echo was kinda pre-occupied this episode and Victor wasn't really a candidate for the abuse storyline and since Sierra is a regular, it gave them something to do with her. It has nothing to do with her being asian - all the Dolls are subservient and hot.

The "Random Kung-Fu dude" busted out the moves, but so did Ballard who isn't asian. Would you have the role rather gone to someone else just because they were afraid of it looking like they were stereotyping? Asians have a hard enough time getting cast in Hollywood as is. And really, everyone in Whedon's shows know Kung-Fu.

And as for "Chinese Restraunt Dude"...should he have have been Black or Mexican?

And finally, give the geeky girl some time. More will likely develop if Whedon's past shows are any indicator. I'd wager there is a lot more to her character than being Topher's lackie.

Put it this way: Patton Oswalt was fat. That's a stereotypical take on White people. What about the sex-crazed rapist? Don't all White guys care only about sex? My point being, you can apply stereotypes everywhere if you are looking for it. Why bother? How about people are just people and some will fall in line with stereotypes and some wont. That's just life.

Edited by the machine boy

That's a bit unfair. Echo was kinda pre-occupied this episode and Victor wasn't really a candidate for the abuse storyline and since Sierra is a regular, it gave them something to do with her. It has nothing to do with her being asian - all the Dolls are subservient and hot.

The "Random Kung-Fu dude" busted out the moves, but so did Ballard who isn't asian. Would you have the role rather gone to someone else just because they were afraid of it looking like they were stereotyping? Asians have a hard enough time getting cast in Hollywood as is. And really, everyone in Whedon's shows know Kung-Fu.

And as for "Chinese Restraunt Dude"...should he have have been Black or Mexican?

And finally, give the geeky girl some time. More will likely develop if Whedon's past shows are any indicator. I'd wager there is a lot more to her character than being Topher's lackie.

Maybe if there were any asians on TV that weren't walking stereotypes, except for Lost... , I guess I would be more inclined to give it a pass.

I guess the recent miley and jonas brother chinky eye pics and even lou dobbs doing his best "ching-chong" talk has me kinda keyed up on how asians are treated on american TV.

Maybe if there were any asians on TV that weren't walking stereotypes, except for Lost... , I guess I would be more inclined to give it a pass.

I guess the recent miley and jonas brother chinky eye pics and even lou dobbs doing his best "ching-chong" talk has me kinda keyed up on how asians are treated on american TV.

It's not just Asians my friend but most minorities. But to be fair Joss does his best to keep everything equal in his shows, even if they do start off as stereotypes, eventually they break from those areas and become more fleshed out people. Gunn on Angel started off as your basic street black guy and changed to a pretty kick ass lawyer by the end.

It's not just Asians my friend but most minorities. But to be fair Joss does his best to keep everything equal in his shows, even if they do start off as stereotypes, eventually they break from those areas and become more fleshed out people. Gunn on Angel started off as your basic street black guy and changed to a pretty kick ass lawyer by the end.

True. I'll wait and see. Still, this show is not nearly as offensive as the first season of Chuck. That show went out of its way to be insulting towards minorities.

I've been watching this show since it started, though I did manage to miss ep#2, so far I like it. My question on the last ep is, who, besides dollhouse execs, is playing dollhouse against dollhouse? My first guess would be the mysterious Alpha, opinions?

See, Ep6 was the first GREAT episode i think. Great characterisation, great action (The Echo/Ballard fight was BRUTAL!) and some intruiging developments. i think if this sows keeps going and is given just a bit longer to develop we'll have a winner on our hands.

See, Ep6 was the first GREAT episode i think. Great characterisation, great action (The Echo/Ballard fight was BRUTAL!) and some intruiging developments. i think if this sows keeps going and is given just a bit longer to develop we'll have a winner on our hands.

eliza and whedon have said that the show really picks up around ep 7 or 8, that that was when Fox stopped fraking around with the show.

Makes sense. I guess Fox wanted to make sure they had a marketable show first after they messed up Firefly. Now we get to see the REAL Dollhouse show

the funny thing is, with both firefly and dollhouse, it's their meddling that alienated audiences.

fox forced whedon to write a new pilot at the last moment which gave the show two pilots and then they played the show out of order as well as playing duck duck goose with the schedule.

dollhouse... ugh... those first few episodes were awful. They played like the eliza variety hour.

7 was a very good episode, but I think I preferred 6. 7 gave us a lot more about whats going on and who used to be what (without revealing everything) but 6 felt more suspensful for me, and again; the echo/Agent fight as BADASS!

That chick who is the FBI guys neigbour is a hunny....

I think this is my new fave show now that BSG is gone. I love the direction the show is going, and the Whedon wit is becoming more and more present. Good stuff.

Did Eco call Ballard while the lights were out? Did Doctor scarface (forgot name) suggest the plan so she could get a message to Ballard to keep looking?

Did Eco call Ballard while the lights were out? Did Doctor scarface (forgot name) suggest the plan so she could get a message to Ballard to keep looking?

I'm kind've thinking that the Doctor (Amy Acker- Fred from Angel) isn't working with Echo or using her to get to Ballart- I think she used to be one of the dolls. She got slashed up by Alpha and couldn't be used for assignments so Topher programmed her to be the doctor. That would explain how she has this half-sympathy for the dolls that seems typically liberal and "they're people too!" and Topher and the rest of them just seem to listen to everything she says, then just nod and move along.

The idea she had to stop the glitching dolls this episode seems to be the only thing she's said that was useful so far- and everyone seemed suprised when she said it. It would make sense that she had the idea because subliminally she has the most knowledge of doll psychology because she is one and doesn't know it!

Edited by christ

Why did the doctor not get reconstructive surgery for the scars they are not that deep, and their was no severed nerves because their is no facial paralysis.

She wants to go for the Blackjack/Capt. Harlock look? ;)

I'm kind've thinking that the Doctor (Amy Acker- Fred from Angel) isn't working with Echo or using her to get to Ballart- I think she used to be one of the dolls. She got slashed up by Alpha and couldn't be used for assignments so Topher programmed her to be the doctor.

IIRC, at the beginning of the second episode, during the flashback where they show the aftermath of Alpha's attack, she was already wearing a doctor's overcoat and bleeding from fresh lacerations to her face, so if she was ever a field-assignment active, she didn't stop being one because she was disfigured by Alpha.

Edited by ly000001

My personnal theory is that most of the employees of the Dollhouse are/were actives. The doctor is a prime suspect for me, and might be a former doll, but I definitely think that Topher is an active and doesn't know it, he is too young to have developed that system IMHO. I think the only people that might not be actives are the handlers, but even some of them might be ex-convicts or soldiers who are turned into dolls to act as handlers. Anyway, that's just a theory I have.

It's a pretty standard courtesy, and really better than not using them, and ruining someone's day.

Yes, I understand it is a standard courtesy. Better than not using them is debatable. I will make it a point not to come to a thread if I am worried about spoilers on a particular subject. Especially if it's been several days since the episode aired. I had not even watched the newest episode until late Sunday evening. I wasn't dumb enough to go browsing through the Dollhouse thread before that.

Even when Macross Frontier was being aired, there was only a 24 hour window where spoiler tags were used. And that was a show that some people could watch when it aired while others had to wait (sometimes more than 24 hours) to get a subbed version on the Internet.

It's not like it's a movie where some people may not be able to see it right away. It aired on a standard public channel. It's on the Fox website in case anyone missed the airing or if they missed recording it. An entire weekend has passed. People are free to do what they want, but it's just a little annoying to use spoiler tags so many days after the episode aired.

Awesome episode, I hope Fox isn't dumb and cancels this one too it is great now. Then again they have given worse shows like completely horrible shows a chance so this may continue to live on

It doesn't help things that FOX put this show on Friday. This was an excellent episode, and shows the potential of the kinds of stories we can expect from Dollhouse. The possibilities of what they can do with a premise such as a show like Dollhouse is awesome.

Something has been disturbing me since I watched Fridays episode were they lobotomized Lawrence. Can they upload information from a regular human brain like copying a disk. Do they get volunteers to provide imprints to the doll house like the customers maybe they are required to give back to the program.