USS George H.W. Bush Commissioned

ron5864

Uh, no. When the rest of the world thinks of the US, aircraft carriers are not the first thing they thing about.

They are a major symbol and a lot of people are impressed by them. (especially the scale of modern aircraft carriers) When US Carriers visit Sydney Harbour, people turn out in the tens of thousands to see them.

Taksraven

Stop paraphrasing David and leaving out the qualifier he tossed out that the carriers as a symbol for the [military] power of the USA.

As long as they keep some of the names and don't go naming everything after presidents and pop stars thats o.k

The day they start talking about a USS Britney Spears is the day I join the throngs of people threatening to move to Canada.

And just like all the rest of them, I probably won't do it.

Probably.

Stop paraphrasing David and leaving out the qualifier he tossed out that the carriers as a symbol for the [military] power of the USA.

What he said. (But its pointless trying to convince him that he is wrong)

Taksraven

Although I know that the era of old all guns battleship are gone, I wished they make a comeback in the near future.

I just read a manga titled "New Fleet Rising" where the Japanese Navy are making a new type of submarine battleship, and this class of ship bring a new meaning of sneak attack as it surface directly in the middle of enemy fleet formation and blasting away with 460mm guns.

Stop adding words he didn't say. He said, and I quote:

Because they are THE symbol of America to much of the world. Certainly our power.

They are not "THE symbol of America."

Sorry, I realize you military nuts would like to thing otherwise. The symbol of America is pop culture and McDonalds... not a big ship that most people don't care about.

Stop adding words he didn't say. He said, and I quote:

They are not "THE symbol of America."

Sorry, I realize you military nuts would like to thing otherwise. The symbol of America is pop culture and McDonalds... not a big ship that most people don't care about.

*YAWN* Ok us "military nuts" (giggle), does anybody have anything interesting to add to this discussion or are we going to let yellowlightman keep us chasing our tails?

Taksraven

(Just for the record, I think that "The Almighty Dollar/Greenback", as the most powerful currency in the world, is more of a symbol of American society than pop culture and McDonalds. Shhh though, I don't want any more comments boring me about this)

The guy who spends half his time bumping threads that he last replied to is the one calling for interesting discussion?

Hilarious.

What are you? My stalker? I dont have to justify myself to you. Lighten up. You are taking things *too* seriously.

Taksraven

Well, the Nimitz class carrier are the symbol of naval power, and since currently the USA have more super carriers compared with other country, its logical enough that some people associated these carriers with USA symbol of power.

Besides, I have a friend here who actually live inside one of those carriers during his service, and the Nimitz class sure got plenty of USA symbol from inboard MacDonald shop, to random military guy cosplaying as Elvis. ^_^

a lot of people dont realise that the usa carriers are a very important symbol of power to places like australia because they basically form a part of australias national defence. The aust navy mothballed its last carrier decades ago & did not replace it because the usa would help defend us due to treaty obligations.

Taksraven

A carrier battle group is a symbol of America's policies in the region backed up with real military strength that is on location. In the case of a carrier stationed in Japan, you just need to look at the history of what has happened in the region, issues that continue to persist, and America's involvement.

Whether people like it or not, aircraft carriers are a symbol of the United States' power, not just militarily, but industrial, technological, and humanitarian. Whenever a world crisis crops up a US aircraft carrier can be there within days, and usually not a single shot is fired, even when tsunamis wipe out island communities a carrier can be there to lend air and support, providing much need food, water, electricty and medical services and supplies.

As for the naming of carriers, the the big bush will of course have name recognition issues as people will likely wonder which Bush it is named after, even adding the HW really won't help much. As for the next carrier, the Ford, that name really makes no sense whatsoever. Ford was not a well known president and is generally looked upon my history as hacing little or no impact. The carrier should have had a legacy name, maybe not Enterprise, maybe let that name rest for a period as it has done before, but at least the America, or possibly Lexington or some other major carrier whose name now lays fallow. Of the carrier currently in service the only name I could possibly call into question would be the Stennis, that one was not the best name to give that ship, and everyone knows it. Now, could the name of the Ford get changed, yes, the ship has yet to be commissioned, and more contracts will simply have the hull number assigned to it, not the name, so changing it could be an easy thing for the next regime to push through, just so long as they don't name it something crazy like the Clinton.