The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

One of my tires on the '99 T/A got slashed the other night. It's gonna be about $800 for me also because it's about that time to change 'em all out anyway.

What are you driving man?

I'm tellin ya fellas. Once I get that sport-bike I ain't ever looking back. Course, I'll probably be dead anyway so looking won't be an option, but you get my drift...

1986 Toyota Supra. Admittedly the steering related stuff was 100% 25 year old original parts and the shocks had been changed MAYBE once since the car was new. It just sucks everything decided to go out all at once.

1986 Toyota Supra. Admittedly the steering related stuff was 100% 25 year old original parts and the shocks had been changed MAYBE once since the car was new. It just sucks everything decided to go out all at once.

That does suck. But I bet taking that car out after all of the work is done will help to dull the pain of the bleeding wallet. New tires, suspension....mmmmm.....that's centerfold quality deliciousness...

Edited by myk

It may be overweight (4,343 lbs.), but it's sexy as hell. The Carlsson Super GT25 is powered by a twin turbo 6.0 liter V12 that makes 753 bhp and 848 lb-ft torque, resulting in a 0-60 acceleration of 3.7 seconds and a top speed of 219 mph.

However, only 25 units will be manufactured, with a base price of €429,000. In addition, only one unit will be delivered per country. The options list is also extravagant, which includes a complete 24-karat gold exterior (€156,000) and a matching Smart Fortwo (€45,000).

2011-Carlsson-Super-GT-C25-Royale-Front-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Carlsson-Super-GT-C25-Royale-Rear-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Carlsson-Super-GT-C25-Royale-Dashboard-1920x1440.jpg

2011 Carlsson Super GT C25

24K gold exterior? Lol. Guess this thing won't be flexing its 753 bhp at the weekend auto-X in the empty stadium parking lot...

24K gold exterior? Lol. Guess this thing won't be flexing its 753 bhp at the weekend auto-X in the empty stadium parking lot...

What I'd like to know is which rapper is gonna go for that option, as only one unit will hit stateside (that is, unless some other billionaire in the U.S. beat them to it).

is this Carlsson based on an existing manufacturer's model? or a ground-up design? I agree that the exterior is too busy; trying to blend straight lines & sharp corners (particularly the rocker panels, rear fascia/exhaust) with the overall curvy lines of the body makes it look muddled. I dunno, maybe it's the lighting? Clean up some of that superfluous sh*t on the exterior (too many creases & grooves & oversized openings/ducts), put it on a serious diet (3400-3600 lbs would be great) and you'll have a damned sexy GT car.

Edited by reddsun1

What I'd like to know is which rapper is gonna go for that option, as only one unit will hit stateside (that is, unless some other billionaire in the U.S. beat them to it).

I bet 5 bucks that 50 cent will go for it. Lord knows that both the car and the rapper are both 24 karat show-offs and deserve each other...

is this Carlsson based on an existing manufacturer's model? or a ground-up design? I agree that the exterior is too busy; trying to blend straight lines & sharp corners (particularly the rocker panels, rear fascia/exhaust) with the overall curvy lines of the body makes it look muddled. I dunno, maybe it's the lighting? Clean up some of that superfluous sh*t on the exterior (too many creases & grooves & oversized openings/ducts), put it on a serious diet (3400-3600 lbs would be great) and you'll have a damned sexy GT car.

If i had to guess strictly based on the motor and drivetrain, i'd say it's stealing Mercedes equipment, if they built a 6.0L twin turbo V12 from scratch then color me impressed.

Edit:

I clicked the link, it is built on Mercedes equipment, if you look at the car it looks like an SL so probably uses its underpinnings as well.

Edited by emajnthis

Ah, no wonder it looked kinda familiar.

2009-Mercedes-Benz-SL-65-AMG-Black-Series-11.jpg

2009-mercedes-benz-sl-65-amg-black-series-rear-angle-1280x960.jpg

Methinks I like the sweep of the roofline, back to the c-pillars/rear deck of the Carlsson better. But overall--the Benz is much tidier. I dunno though; can't quite put my finger on why, but it seems Mercedes' designs just don't age as well as other makes. Maybe it's the drastic changes implemented at each model update?

I'm trying to check my cars power steering fluid, and I can't find the cap. I have looked through the owners manual, and the manual shows a picture of the cap, and the general area were the cap is located with a picture of the engine, and a arrow pointing were it is supposed to be, but when I look at that area I cant see it?

It is a 99 Buick regal with the Supercharged engine.

Should be an L67 3800 Series II--my last car had one. The power steering cap is much lower than you'd think based on the diagram. It is way low and near the firewall. And almost directly under some hoses that you'll probably have to push aside a bit to actually unscrew it. It's basically mounted on the side of the engine, with a lot of stuff on top of it hiding it. It's not "on top" like the radiator or oil cap.

PS---watch for the A/C drain tube, a little right-angle rubber thingy, shaped like a faucet tap. It'll be in a similar area but actually mounted to the firewall. If it should pop off, pop it back on. And I'd highly recommend cleaning any gunk out of it regardless, odds are good you'll find white stuff partly clogging the tip.

PPS---ever changed the supercharger oil? That's highly neglected by a lot of people, but easy to do. And do NOT over-tighten the cap. (and don't let the dealer check it either---they always overtighten it, to the point of destroying the threads/cap)

Singer Vehicle Design takes a classic pre-1994 Porsche 911 and brings it to current performance spec. Modifications include new carbon fiber parts, larger 17" tires, a roll cage and a choice of three air-cooled Boxer engines (3.6 or 3.9 liter with 300, 380 or 425 bhp).

2011 Singer Porsche 911

Singer Vehicle Design

So cute ^_^

Singer Vehicle Design takes a classic pre-1994 Porsche 911 and brings it to current performance spec. Modifications include new carbon fiber parts, larger 17" tires, a roll cage and a choice of three air-cooled Boxer engines (3.6 or 3.9 liter with 300, 380 or 425 bhp).

2011 Singer Porsche 911

Singer Vehicle Design

One hell of a sleeper.

Restomod: Euro-spec? Pretty cool. I like sleepers.

Achtung! :p

The horror

Test mule or not, what in the name of god would motivate someone to do this to an M3 :wacko:

Hmm--wonder what that does for chassis stiffness? But it's bound to be a hit in Oz. B))

Oh, now I wouldn't have said that new Ferrari was irredeemably ugly. But yes--a 1 - 3" shorter wheelbase, rear-seat delete, and a sweeping "fastback" rear deck would make for one helluva sweet GT.

That, and maybe tone down that sh*t-eatin-grin front grille...

Looks like the Ariel Atom has some stiff competition. The BAC MONO is a street-legal (at least in the UK) single-seat racer that weighs 1,190 lbs. and is powered by a naturally aspirated 2.3 liter Cosworth I-4 engine that produces 280 bhp and 207 lb-ft torque. This translates to a power-to-weight ratio of 520 bhp per ton. Performance numbers are also staggering, with a 0-60 acceleration of 2.8 seconds and a top speed of 170 mph.

2011-BAC-MONO-Front-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2011-BAC-MONO-Rear-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2011 BAC MONO

If I owned my own race track... that car would be fun but who else would it appeal to? Sunday drivers who like to tear around hilly back roads? Maybe... but a one person car seems like an idiot's motorcycle.

If I owned my own race track... that car would be fun but who else would it appeal to? Sunday drivers who like to tear around hilly back roads? Maybe... but a one person car seems like an idiot's motorcycle.

I know lots of guys that have track cars. The street legality of this thing, is more to get it to and from the track.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you just want to OWN a 'street legal' division of some sort. Why bother with smog equipment and I'm assuming 91 Octane fuel for the small pittance of not having to trailer an automobile?

I know lots of guys that have track cars. The street legality of this thing, is more to get it to and from the track.

Ah yes, the traditional "dual purpose" automobile; i.e. one that can be driven to the track, given a good caning, then driven back home. It's the objective I seek for my own 2nd car...

It's been years since I've done this. Time for a car movie review:

WanganMidnightTheMovie.jpg

Wangan Midnight: The Movie (湾岸ミッドナイト THE MOVIE)

Jolly Roger/Geneon Universal Entertainment, 2009

U.S. Distributor Pending

Directed by Atsushi Muroga

Based on the manga by Michiharu Kusunoki

Running Time: 100 minutes

Not Rated (suggested PG-13). Contains street racing violence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EwE15wZT7M

Cast

Yuichi Nakamura (Kawada in Gokusen 2, Yuto/Kamen Rider Zeronos in Kamen Rider Den-O) as Akio Asakura

Kazuki Kato (Shiro/Kamen Rider V3 in Kamen Rider The Next, Daisuke/Kamen Rider Drake in Kamen Rider Kabuto) as Tatsuya Shima

Ryoko Kobayashi (Miyoko in Kamen Rider The First) :wub: as Eriko Asakura

Megumi Matsumoto (Reika in Ace wo Nerae!) :wub: as Reina Akikawa

Yoshihiko Hakamada (Baron in The Cat Returns) as Ko-chan

Synopsis

Akio Asakura is a high-schooler with a passion for high-speed racing on Tokyo's Shuto Expressway. One night, he loses to surgeon Tatsuya Shima and his black Porsche 911 Turbo known in the underground racing scene as the "Blackbird". The next day, while shopping for parts at a junkyard, Akio discovers an abandoned blue Fairlady Z S30 and makes it his own. It is later on discovered that the car is the "Devil Z", which was known years ago for its unbelievably high speeds. It was also notorious for an accident that killed its owner (also named Akio Asakura) two years ago, as well as scores of other accidents that caused other owners to abandon it. Despite the supposed curse it carries, Akio continues to fund the modifications and repairs to the Devil Z with two part-time jobs and races it to renew its rivalry with the Blackbird.

Lowdown

I know what you're thinking: another live-action movie that will screw over the original manga. We've all seen that before so many times. Especially in 2005, when Hong Kong adapted Initial D into the big screen. What a disaster it was.

But in the case of Wangan Midnight, you'd be surprised. Unlike Initial D, the cast and crew here are all-Japanese. The main cast is practically spot-on with the original characters -right down to Ko-chan's red afro! And if you're not convinced, you can simply stare at the ultra-kawaii Ryoko Kobayashi or the smoking-hot Megumi Matsumoto. As for the story itself, it's very close to both the original manga and the anime adaptation.

As for the cars themselves, I'm sure that a lot of hardcore manga fans will be doing tons of nitpicking. The Devil Z is pure classic Fairlady Z S30 (known in the West as the Datsun 240Z) and the Blackbird is an equally classic '80s Porsche 911 Turbo. However, the other cars are different. Akio's Fairlady Z Z31 (first-generation 300ZX) is replaced by a Z32 (second-generation 300ZX), while Reina's gray (white later in the manga and anime) Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 is substituted with a red R34.

The soundtrack, meanwhile, is all over the place. Instead of the rave/trance music that the Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune game fans are accustomed to, the movie has a mixed bag ranging from American alternative/emo to R&B to Eurobeat. The orchestral score, however, is a soothing contrast to some of the intense racing scenes.

In short, Wangan Midnight: The Movie is a decent car movie and a much better effort than the live-action Initial D.

Rating: B

References

The Internet Movie Database

Wikipedia

Anime News Network