Basquash: SK's new serie for 2009

ntsan

Cool looking mecha is one of my prime critera for deciding whether or not I watch a mecha anime. That and likeable characters & good action.

Graham

I have yet to see Basquash failing in any of those criterias, I mean, wow Big Foot looks silly, but when they are in action, they are hella cool in my book (with the Nike sneakers yes!!), and I enjoy the cast immensely at the moment (I mean, a hotblood kid full of passion, a stone-cold rival that can actually beat the protag, a hot useful mechanic and a cute chick that can pilot for real? Count me in, folks).

Not sure if SK will throw up some twists in the future characters developments though.

Edited by REbirth

Man, if you can't really feel the passion then just meh. The point is not to enhance the sport, but what if you play basketball with mechas and no rule. Anyway, it's just the 1st episode, the fun barely start.

To be honest, I never feel much for the Rideback in its 1st episode ever, it's the later episodes that makes me (when they start the race, etc). But I do hope Basquash isn't going to turn out like Rideback did, when it comes to war and political. Let Basquash! just be a show with hotblood kids playing basketball with their mechas, no war or serious business please.

About the target audience, they are aimed at super robot fan, hah, especially the bouncing part :lol:

I can understand your disappointment with RideBack if you thought it was all going to be about racing RideBacks. I had read the first volume of the manga before I saw the anime, so knew to expect it to be more about politics.

When I asked about the target audience, I meant what age group is this aimed at? Seem to be elements there meant for young kids, and elements for adults, but in a way that is mutually exclusive.

Just watched the first episode and I rather like it. I definitely enjoy series with odd looking mecha. I can definitely appreciate Graham's feelings, Valkyries these are not. They're not sleek. They're not at all practical. Nothing about them is remotely realistic. But damned if I don't think they're cool.

As for who the show is aimed at, well it doesn't trike me as something intended for toddlers, if that's what people mean by "kiddie", but I can certainly see this aimed at the highschool-to-college age range.

I can understand your disappointment with RideBack if you thought it was all going to be about racing RideBacks. I had read the first volume of the manga before I saw the anime, so knew to expect it to be more about politics.

When I asked about the target audience, I meant what age group is this aimed at? Seem to be elements there meant for young kids, and elements for adults, but in a way that is mutually exclusive.

I, too, read the first volume of Rideback before watching the anime, hafta say I was 50 % on that one because of the politic, but when the anime comes out, I'm really into the racing Rideback stuff (because a sport mecha anime is rare stuff, and it's more rare to see a design like the Rideback). Too bad, it becomes more and more like manga as far as the episodes go, it's good, but nothing I have expected to see.

About the target audience, I don't know what to say about it, Basquash tries to be a super robot show (like Mazinkaiser, Aquarion, Gurren Lagann...), which is essential a shounen show for kids but also has contents meant for adult watchers to enjoy. That's the best I can tell really.

That woman is Grace something and comes from the Moon.

Goddamn episode 3 is awesome. Iceman is even more crazy than I thought! DESTROY! DESTROY! DESTROY!!! (And the whole nekkid Sela thing = Aquarion reference?)

1239963299753.jpg

...and umai still haven't even finished their episode 2 :blink:

That woman is Grace something and comes from the Moon.

Goddamn episode 3 is awesome. Iceman is even more crazy than I thought! DESTROY! DESTROY! DESTROY!!! (And the whole nekkid Sela thing = Aquarion reference?)

...and umai still haven't even finished their episode 2 :blink:

Her name is Haruka Grace.

Nah, listen to her again, she said "Haruka Gracia/Gracier".

The "-cia" part can be easily missed though.

About the fanservice, it's getting so over the top that I'm really amused. :lol:

I guess I'm the only one actually turned OFF from this show by the fan service?

1240273404330.th.jpg

I can totally dig it.

I guess this is where, being a dad, this show is ruined for me.

This pic is funny, and right on the money.

On the other hand, while my 10 year old loves basketball, and loves Transformers Animated, and would love this pic... yeah, the boob grabbing...

I guess I'm the only one actually turned OFF from this show by the fan service?

I stop caring when I see this screen, (tip: take a closer look on that board):

1240373341531.th.jpg

Seems like the whole "big (.)(.)" is a part of Earthdash's culture and the show even parody fanservice (Lunar Bust?!) so I'm perfectly line with that.

I guess this is where, being a dad, this show is ruined for me.

This pic is funny, and right on the money.

On the other hand, while my 10 year old loves basketball, and loves Transformers Animated, and would love this pic... yeah, the boob grabbing...

Eh, you can edit out the lower part, I guess?

Edit: Forget it, have some more big foot fan art:

1240374664045.th.jpg

Edited by REbirth

Ravenhawk: you prude

I know, I know. I probably wouldn't care, and don't in most shows I watch (though I do prefer my boobs made by God or by an experienced plastic surgeon, rather than drawn by a horny Japanese man and colored by a horny Korean man), it's just that this was one anime I was hoping to share with my kids.

I know, I know. I probably wouldn't care, and don't in most shows I watch (though I do prefer my boobs made by God or by an experienced plastic surgeon, rather than drawn by a horny Japanese man and colored by a horny Korean man), it's just that this was one anime I was hoping to share with my kids.

I understand your position. But for myself i wouldn't care since the "fanservice" is totally kiddy and used for funny effects. I doubt a few naked shots and boob bounceage will make children become delinquents. I mean anime has been doing it for years. All the magical girl shows have the naked-transformation-scene. Boobs have played many roles in anime which even includes boob missiles , overly huge busts that bounce everywhere for comedic effect. I guess i'm just saying this is nothing new, and i've been brought up with this kinda stuff so i don't really feel the big deal with it.

Eh, when I think about it, if your kids are perfectly clear (of sexual mature stuffs etc), this series should be fine to watch, because the boobs/sexual innuendos are meant to be laughed at, not to be drooled at (like Megazone 23's sex scenes).

These stuffs are a part of the show's humor, if you take them away, I doubt the show would be as fun.

Edit:...aaaand you should add animated by horny Frenchmen too, goddamn, since Thomain Romain is somehow responsible with the character design :lol: bÆ°t his team did a fracking good job with the CGI background.

Edited by REbirth

Just saw the first episode. Interesting off beat show.

Btw... Did Sheryl Nome err I mean Spanky (what's in a name) just eat the Pickachu? :blink:

Cute non plot theme creatures are untargetable! One less safe anime trope...

Just saw the first episode. Interesting off beat show.

Btw... Did Sheryl Nome err I mean Spanky (what's in a name) just eat the Pickachu? :blink:

Cute non plot theme creatures are untargetable! One less safe anime trope...

Yeah, I was rather shocked by that, too.

Surprisingly, I've found time to almost keep up. I saw episode two a few days ago.

I like it. It's funky, and totally unlike anything I've seen before. Which is why most of us got into anime in the first place, no?