Question about Yamato packaging

Getsuga Tenshou

Hi guys. I like to ask Yamato experts in here if the Yamato packaging of their toys(the box and everything) is strong enough to withstand if I put them in the Check-in baggage at the airport? My handcarry capacity is already full so I have no choice but to put the YF-19 in the check-in baggages. Thanks.

Hi guys. I like to ask Yamato experts in here if the Yamato packaging of their toys(the box and everything) is strong enough to withstand if I put them in the Check-in baggage at the airport? My handcarry capacity is already full so I have no choice but to put the YF-19 in the check-in baggages. Thanks.

Define withstand

NO. The box is only single ply tag bored with a thin plastic tray inside. I had a airport crack a Pelican case on me that's a lot stronger than a yamato box.

Maybe if you use a cardboard box and a lot of packing and mark it fragile, the box should make it unscathed.

My advice just fold the box in your luggage and cary the valk on than you can take a picture at 30,000 ft with the 19 buy the window :p

Can't speak for the YF-19 package (don't own one), but the boxes for my SV-51 and VF-1A (60) are quite sturdy - even with nothing in them they won't "compress" if I push the sides. If you want to minimize the risk, you can ask them to put a Fragile sticker on your check-in bag. Another suggestion would be to take a thin layer of bubble paper (lol, forgot what it's called), wrap it around the plastic trays and then slide the trays back in the box.

However... If I were you, I'd just ship them via a package service (UPS, Fedex, etc) if you need to transport them.

he said his hand carry capacity is full and to take the super huge Yamato box in your hands would be a pain even if your hands were free... hmm... I say the box will get serious damage but the content will survive without a scratch, but sill, you should try packaging it like Ghost Train suggested above and mark it fragile

he said his hand carry capacity is full and to take the super huge Yamato box in your hands would be a pain even if your hands were free... hmm... I say the box will get serious damage but the content will survive without a scratch, but sill, you should try packaging it like Ghost Train suggested above and mark it fragile

Mina-Sama(everyone) Thanks for the replies. I dont mind the box being damaged as long as the toy itself is OK :-). Thanks again everyone. I'll have them mark the box as fragile then. :lol:

i see you're on you way back to the PH. i would recommend that you at least put it in a "balikbayan" box. that's what i did with my hauls from hk... not a dent on any of the boxes. but if you don't really care for the box/packaging i think that the contents might survive being checked-in as long as you have it marked FRAGILE. but there's still a risk since you don't really have any control over what happens to it once it rolls out of your sight on the conveyor belt. get a small balikbayan box, you won't regret it.

Fragile stickers wont do a thing. They're largely ignored and can even sometimes mark items as targets for disgruntled employees. I've seen horrifically disfigured bags and boxes that were carefully marked "fragile". The best thing I can suggest is to pack it like you're shipping it: put the box in another box, give it at least an inch on all sides of packing material, and it should make it intact. Anything less and it's inviting disaster when someone's tuba case (also likely marked "fragile") gets tossed violently on top of your purchase.

One thing about Yamato standard box packaging is that its got lots of extra space inside. It could compress to 50% of its current thickness and the fighter would still be fine. However, it is just thin cardboard and then a plastic tray, so there's not a lot of resistance it provides. Build a thicker cardboard box that wraps around the Yamato packaging (by taking thicker corrugated cardboard, some glue and lots of packing tape) to form a shell. That should give it some resistance. I shipped my fighters like that internationally, and they came out just fine, with only a slight ding on the corner of the Yamato box.

I actually had a YF-19 full set in check-in baggage last year, all the way from Hong Kong to Canada. I stuffed the space in the box with socks. The box then go in a full size luggage surrounded by other new cloths. If your box sit securely and surrounded by soft stuff it will be fine. Do the math tho - if you need to pay for extra check-in luggage than mail may be cheaper.

I also had a SOC Dancougar in a large shopping bag. Check your airline for the carry-on size limit.

Fragile stickers wont do a thing. They're largely ignored and can even sometimes mark items as targets for disgruntled employees. I've seen horrifically disfigured bags and boxes that were carefully marked "fragile". The best thing I can suggest is to pack it like you're shipping it: put the box in another box, give it at least an inch on all sides of packing material, and it should make it intact. Anything less and it's inviting disaster when someone's tuba case (also likely marked "fragile") gets tossed violently on top of your purchase.

Although it's true that there is a certain small percentage of disgruntled employees who purposely mishandle things that are labeled as fragile, at the worse it gets ignored and not purposely mangled. Baggage handlers are busy, and they don't really have time to purposely take 5 minutes of their time and piss all over your bag. But then why stop the reasoning there?

-Why call the cops when you're in trouble.... they might be corrupt

-Why put a roof on your head... it might cave

-Why go out for a walk... when you can get hit by lightning

I am a platinum elite on NWA (the worse airline in America btw), and have never had issues when I've asked someone to put a fragile sticker. That being said, I do agree that cushioning the package is the more important aspect of this... sticker / no-sticker is a minor issue.

Although it's true that there is a certain small percentage of disgruntled employees who purposely mishandle things that are labeled as fragile, at the worse it gets ignored and not purposely mangled. Baggage handlers are busy, and they don't really have time to purposely take 5 minutes of their time and piss all over your bag. But then why stop the reasoning there?

-Why call the cops when you're in trouble.... they might be corrupt

-Why put a roof on your head... it might cave

-Why go out for a walk... when you can get hit by lightning

I am a platinum elite on NWA (the worse airline in America btw), and have never had issues when I've asked someone to put a fragile sticker. That being said, I do agree that cushioning the package is the more important aspect of this... sticker / no-sticker is a minor issue.

My entire point was that you shouldn't rely on a "Fragile" sticker to guarantee your Yamato's safety, and I hardly think the extended ridicule is necessary :p. I've seen "Fragile" packages that came out on the conveyor looking like they were run over by the plane they flew in on. The key point is that you should pack it like it's being shipped overseas, because in the end, that's exactly what it's doing. You just happen to be on the "mail plane" that it's going on.

... good luck Isamu :rolleyes: ... hope you land in one piece ;)

Isamu will be fine. Them Japanese do their job very well. Im 90% sure they'll handle anything marked as fragile with the utmost care. Once it arrives in the Philippines though it's a different story.

Actually Isamu is very unlucky. The reason I have to check him in is because nora, focker and guld will be safe in my handcarry items together with a few electronics and I will be over the handcarry limit if I include Isamu too. :lol:

i know what you mean.

poor Isamu... not being treated like the hero that he is. ^_^

i see you got the 21 too.

safe trip pare.

Thanks pre ^_^ . Ill also get the VF-11b and the VF-0s reissue once it comes out. BTW, its off topic but where in the Philippines can I buy Yamato Macross Toys? No one seems to be answering this particular question in the other thread hehe

Don't forget the wasted space inside the Yamato box. Open it up remove the insert tray and there is tones of space to pack little things or clothes then box it back up. I usually pack 3 bottles of absinthe padded with t-shirts or socks in the bottom of my Yamoto 1/48 boxes when I go home to visit. Then just make sure the box is in the dead center of your suit case surrounded by other things that are padded or stronger boxes.

Every time I have brought Yamies and Hasegawa kits back from Japan they have gone in checked baggage except one wave kit which came on with me.

Ironically the hand carry got more damage.

As mentioned by Save above pack out the spaces in the box with other goodies and then I usually pack all my clothes around the box to act as a crash area. rolling t-shirts and such into sausage shapes and then packing them down makes for great protection. I travel for work and every time I take a flight case or Pelican case with work gear in it gets damaged. I now only use a Large sports bag, the type you can put a small child in its so big. It has a rigid bottom and wheels, but is still flexible and can be carried on my shoulder.

If you really think it through you will be as safe as the airport ground crew want you to be. Japanese side you'll be fine they are careful it's when you get to the other side its the problem. Heathrow is a nightmare B.A baggage crew actually throw stuff from the planes, I have actually seen them on numerous occasions drop stuff from the hold onto the tarmac. One of the baggage checkers at Narita is a Macross fan. A couple of times now he has checked my bags through the Xray and always takes his time so he can find out which Yammie or Hasegawa kit I have got. He's quite funny and calls me Macross san.

If in doubt post it. When in japan just go to any shopping area after closing and grab a cardboard box there will be loads outside the shops waiting for the trash men to pick them up in the morning. Get some packing tape from the news agents and some old news paper or suitable packing material. pack it up and take it to the post office "yuubinkyoku" you find that most of the staff are helpful and quite used to the foreigners sending stuff home.

Every time I have brought Yamies and Hasegawa kits back from Japan they have gone in checked baggage except one wave kit which came on with me.

As mentioned by Save above pack out the spaces in the box with other goodies and then I usually pack all my clothes around the box to act as a crash area. rolling t-shirts and such into sausage shapes and then packing them down makes for great protection. I travel for work and every time I take a flight case or Pelican case with work gear in it gets damaged. I now only use a Large sports bag, the type you can put a small child in its so big. It has a rigid bottom and wheels, but is still flexible and can be carried on my shoulder.

If you really think it through you will be as safe as the airport ground crew want you to be. Japanese side you'll be fine they are careful it's when you get to the other side its the problem. Heathrow is a nightmare B.A baggage crew actually throw stuff from the planes, I have actually seen them on numerous occasions drop stuff from the hold onto the tarmac. One of the baggage checkers at Narita is a Macross fan. A couple of times now he has checked my bags through the Xray and always takes his time so he can find out which Yammie or Hasegawa kit I have got. He's quite funny and calls me Macross san.

If in doubt post it. When in japan just go to any shopping area after closing and grab a cardboard box there will be loads outside the shops waiting for the trash men to pick them up in the morning. Get some packing tape from the news agents and some old news paper or suitable packing material. pack it up and take it to the post office "yuubinkyoku" you find that most of the staff are helpful and quite used to the foreigners sending stuff home.

WOW Big F you really know your stuff. How long have you been living in Japan? Okies I will do what you and Save suggested and stuff the box insides with some clothing. Still have 1 week to go. Im leaving on the 16th.

O_O You actually know the airport handlers!?! Also, +1 to all the problems with Heathrow. 1st thing I do once I get my baggage is to check that nothing is broken or cracked or anything (I have one of those luggage cases that is basically a 5mm thick plastic shell). So far I've been lucky!

WOW Big F you really know your stuff. How long have you been living in Japan? Okies I will do what you and Save suggested and stuff the box insides with some clothing. Still have 1 week to go. Im leaving on the 16th.

Oh I don't actually live there just go there a lot. Although my GF would sometime like it if I did as I talk to much about Japan.

The real expert is Save he has been there a while and knows his stuff.

Japan is the kinda place that every time you go there you learn something new, and find a new Macross selling store.