New Macross Game from Sega for PS2

twich

went to the tokyo game show today. there were huge lines everywhere to try out the games so was only able to play the game today for a few minutes. also when the controller was handed to me, it was all sweaty and dripping so i really was only thinking about rushing to wash my hands. :unsure:

i played the scene in the tv series where hikaru was in the vf-1j gbp. graphics and controls were both pretty awesome. seriously felt like i was playing the anime. since it was the gbp, i wasnt able to change to other modes but i did get to send out missiles from the shoulder armor which looked pretty cool.

other people were piloting the purple vf-1s and it does not look bad. im definately getting this game when it comes out. this game and that transformers game. the macross game is definately better though.

im not that much of a gamer so i spent most of the time checking out the model girls for the show. the clothes they were wearing definately gave them extra points and there were so many of them.

highlight of the show for me was getting to play this new 007 game. the game itself was whatevers but the booth featured this thing called date gaming. what happens is that you get to sit next to a girl wearing an evening dress and she will chat with you and play the game together with you. thats what i call incentive to check out the game. :D

went to the tokyo game show today. there were huge lines everywhere to try out the games so was only able to play the game today for a few minutes. also when the controller was handed to me, it was all sweaty and dripping so i really was only thinking about rushing to wash my hands. :unsure:

i played the scene in the tv series where hikaru was in the vf-1j gbp. graphics and controls were both pretty awesome. seriously felt like i was playing the anime. since it was the gbp, i wasnt able to change to other modes but i did get to send out missiles from the shoulder armor which looked pretty cool.

other people were piloting the purple vf-1s and it does not look bad. im definately getting this game when it comes out. this game and that transformers game. the macross game is definately better though.

im not that much of a gamer so i spent most of the time checking out the model girls for the show. the clothes they were wearing definately gave them extra points and there were so many of them.

highlight of the show for me was getting to play this new 007 game. the game itself was whatevers but the booth featured this thing called date gaming. what happens is that you get to sit next to a girl wearing an evening dress and she will chat with you and play the game together with you. thats what i call incentive to check out the game. :D

Oh!! GPB armor as demo? Bold!! :lol:

Maybe not the game itself, but it's possible that the specifics of the storyline itself will become THE definitive version of Space War I.

Hmmm...

Still.... that scene clearly depicts Max Vs Millia from DYRL. Even her Q-rau is the same color. But yet... Max is flying a 1a. Will they follow the TV and have them fight inside the SDF1 or will they have them fight inside Millias ship like in DYRL? And look at the SDF1.... its sitting on the water not floating over the protoculture island.

And earth still looks intact. So I would say.... DYRL designs with SDF1 story.... which is lame.

And earth still looks intact. So I would say.... DYRL designs with SDF1 story.... which is lame.

or (even though i'm not holding my breath on it) the only way this game will see North American soil....

or (even though i'm not holding my breath on it) the only way this game will see North American soil....

It will never get through the way it is now. It seems to be a reallt bad mix of DYRL and SDF styles.... with SDF predominating.

I just hope they at least keep DYRL as the song for the final battle.... the one they play in SDF Macross was terrible. <_<

It will never get through the way it is now. It seems to be a reallt bad mix of DYRL and SDF styles.... with SDF predominating.

I just hope they at least keep DYRL as the song for the final battle.... the one they play in SDF Macross was terrible. <_<

Personally, I like it that they are mixing elements from DYRL and the TV series, to hopefully give us the definitive version of Space War 1.

I love DYRL for it's visuals, but to be honest it is lacking in character development, plus there is only a limited amount of action (and thus game missions) that you can base on a two hour movie.

I also love the SDF TV series for it's story, but to be honest a lot of the visuals, battle scenes and some of the design elements are pretty sucky and dated.

By following the events in the TV series, this allows for more game missions than if the game had been based purely on DYRL. And by adding some of the design elements and visual cues from DYRL we get a much nicer looking game than if it had stcuck purely to the look of the TV series.

I can't wait for this game.

Graham

It's been known for a long time that SDF-Macross is the canon story from which all derivatives are based but that DYRL is the visual canon. How is this lame? It's not like oh, we never expected this. Is it revisionist? Yes, but quite frankly I'm glad they went with DYRL visuals AND SDF-Macross story. The best of each world.

vinnie

Thats what I'm complaining about.... they didn't go clearly with one or the other. Look at the Max 1A fighting DYRL Millia! Thats a mix of TV and DYRL... that shouldn't have been there. If they are going with DYRL style visuals.... change everything then. Why didn't they use a Elint instead of a cats eye in one of the screen shot?

Honestly.... I think they are just trying to mess with us. <_<

Ummm, they played all if Minmay's songs for the final battle in the tv series. The big end song was 'Love Drifts Away' and I don't see how anyone could hate that song yet still claim to like 'DYRL?'. Unless you mean Robotech's 'We Will Win', but I wouldn't expect you to make a mistake like that.

WOW! I finally got the TGS page to load and hot damn if that's not what a Macross game should look like! I remember seeing RT:BC the first time and thinking "crap" not even going to bother. But this... I may very well shell out for a PS2 and this game.... The Macross in the asteroid field just simply is wickedly cool looking... The Macross firing of the main gun seems a bit weak though.

vinnie

PS: Does anyone know if you get unlimited ammo? I hate games with unlimited ammo. It's so cheap.

Ummm, they played all if Minmay's songs for the final battle in the tv series. The big end song was 'Love Drifts Away' and I don't see how anyone could hate that song yet still claim to like 'DYRL?'. Unless you mean Robotech's 'We Will Win', but I wouldn't expect you to make a mistake like that.

Love Drifts Away and DYRL are 2 completly different songs... one sucking bad the other being awsome. 2 different songs... there fore one is allowed to hate one and love the other.

I have never seen RT... so I don't know how bad the song you mentioned is.

PS: Does anyone know if you get unlimited ammo? I hate games with unlimited ammo. It's so cheap.

Some of the game play screen shot show missile counters on the top part of the screen. One of them read something like 50 while the other reads something like 1000. I think the second one is for the gun pod while the other is for missiles... but I could be wrong.

Okay been reading bout thread for a bit and I still don't know when it is going to be released. What is the release date? from what i've been reading, this is a Japan only game so far right? Thanks!

Yes, it is being released in Japan only. However, a modified PS2 will allow you to play the game.

The release date in Japan is October 23.

Graham

Some of the game play screen shot show missile counters on the top part of the screen. One of them read something like 50 while the other reads something like 1000. I think the second one is for the gun pod while the other is for missiles... but I could be wrong.

The counters at the top are for the AMM-1 triple missile clusters and the UMM-7 micro-missile pods. You can see that most screen shots show the Valk with AAM-1s mounted on the outer wing pylons and UMM-7s mounted on the inner wing pylons.

So while missiles are not unlimited, the quantity is unrealistic, but to be honest, did you really think that they stick with realsitic quantities? If they followed the weapon loadout shown being carried, then you would only have 6 x AAM-1 and 30 x micro-missiles in the UMM-7s.

I strongly suspect that gunpod ammo and head laser charge is unlimited as there does not seem to be a round counter for these.

Graham

It would be neat to have one of the hardest difficulty levels being simply a realistic weapons load.

Hmmm...

Or having the option of selecting 'real' quanties of weapons for any level.

Gulp.......imagine going into battle against masses of Regults and Gnerls with only a basic TV loadout of 12 x AMM-1 missiles and 200 rounds of ammo for the GU-11 gunpod!

Graham

well the head cannon is unlimited... which is begs the question eactly how powerful are those lasers? Enough to kill regults with say 5 direct shots?

vinnie

EDIT IN: And yes I would like a realistic weapons load. I guess that's why I like sims type games for stuff like this.

Edited by justvinnie

While realistic ammo would be nice... it would also mean 1 hit kills for you and the enemies... now... how muhc fun is that? <_<

Could be pretty darned fun, for some... if there was actually a lot of gameplay in avoiding being hit. Even so, I suspect that "realistically" a Valk could take a few regult cannon or missle hits... depending on where it's hit, of course.

-Al

Min, a question. When you played the game did you notice how much damage the gunpod did? I mean was it possible to destroy enemies with just a short burst, or did you have to hose them with hundreds of shots like in VF-X2 before they blew up?

Also, a similar question about the missiles. Can you destroy enemies with just a single missile hit, or does it require mass hits with multiple missile volleys like in VF-X2? Also, how was missile lock-on time compared with VF-X2, faster, slower or similar?

Graham

Isn't this exactly what some folks have been wanting for a long time? Sure as hell beats the other way around. =P

I know. But my complaint was that BW and Bandai took the middle of the road.... leaning towards DYRL in one instance or leaning towards SDF in another. All I want I for them to make the game with all designs DYRL style... not mixed DYRL and SDF.

Look at a sequence someone posted.... it has Max TV fighting Millia DYRL with DYRL SDF1 with SDF arms sitting on SDF Earth. :blink:

Yes, it is being released in Japan only. However, a modified PS2 will allow you to play the game.

The release date in Japan is October 23.

Graham

*twiddles thumbs and waits for a functional PS2 emulator....*

*and beats self on head for not taking Japanese during college....*

Wow Graham, Thanks for all the info...This just makes me want to mod my PS2 more and more...the question is where do I go to get it done safely around here? Guess that is my quandry to try to figure out.

Let us know how it is when you get it Graham!

Thanks

Larry

I know. But my complaint was that BW and Bandai took the middle of the road.... leaning towards DYRL in one instance or leaning towards SDF in another. All I want I for them to make the game with all designs DYRL style... not mixed DYRL and SDF.

Look at a sequence someone posted.... it has Max TV fighting Millia DYRL with DYRL SDF1 with SDF arms sitting on SDF Earth. :blink:

I guess I know what you mean. Well, actually I kind of like the mix, primarily because I really like the TV Max-1A, and consider it integral in bringing back some of the TV fight scenes... but it being mixed with the Red Millia is just wacky. I guess they tried to bring the best elements of both, retaining TV elements when appropriate or noteworthy and important to the scene (Max 1A, carrier arms)... and giving it a shot of DYRL (the actual model of the Valk/SDF-1).

Not that bad of a choice... But at the very least, I would have expected some consistency *within* a particular scene. You know, like have Millia actually be green. There's lots of ways to do hybrids of both series for something that's still convincing. Of course there are ways to screw it up.

-Al