Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

He probably stays evil, given he has Decepticon box art.

It might be his pre-earth form. Is it confirmed that they were given life on earth or did they come later? He probably switches sides and reformats himself after, which would make sense, I suspect that given he has the ability to link up with Prime, it'll be in the final fight scenes.

Umm, most of the last few posts probably should be in the movie thread...

I'm fine with that. While we are discussing movie toys, bits of info about certain toys/characters is getting a little spoilerish.

I would prefer all movie stuff in the movie thread. Even the toys.

Mainly since I am trying to avoid knowing too much. I havent even really gone to TFW for that reason latley.

I nabbed a Cyclonus and Hound. Great figures!!

He probably stays evil, given he has Decepticon box art.

Impossible. I just talked to Mike and Steve about it last Thursday and they assured me that he would go good.

The box art is just there so the toys don't spoil the moving end for you.

Pete

His license plate says "JAAM"! I was going to pass on him like I did Cheetor, since I really only want the G1/Classics Universe toys, but if Wal-Mart's still selling them for $7.77 when Hot Shot hits shelves, they might have just sold me with JAAM.

His license plate says "JAAM"! I was going to pass on him like I did Cheetor, since I really only want the G1/Classics Universe toys, but if Wal-Mart's still selling them for $7.77 when Hot Shot hits shelves, they might have just sold me with JAAM.
The $7.77 seems to only apply to old stock. Picked up Hound there for $10. Meanwhile, Acid Storm was sitting next to him for $7.77.

Weird. I live near 2 Wal-Marts, one has the TF Deluxes for $9.99, the other is still selling them at $7.77.

:huh:

At Target, I found TF Universe Dinobot, Smokescreen, (both on sale for $8.99) and TF Animated Wreck-Gar!!! They also had the yellow Lugnut repaint ...

:)

Edited by Vermillion21

Weird. I live near 2 Wal-Marts, one has the TF Deluxes for $9.99, the other is still selling them at $7.77.

:huh:

At Target, I found TF Universe Dinobot, Smokescreen, (both on sale for $8.99) and TF Animated Wreck-Gar!!! They also had the yellow Lugnut repaint ...

:)

Oooh. I haven't seen Smokescreen (or Ratchet or Inferno). They're the last three Universe figure that I know for sure are coming that I actually want. Well, them and a few Legends I haven't seen anywhere.

Stopped at Wal-Mart this afternoon. They had Smokescreen and Dinobot, and they were still marked $7.77 (I only picked up Smokescreen, though). Still no sign of Inferno, though. Everywhere I go has Voyagers, but they're all Treadbolt plus the Cybertron repaints.

All-new ROTF Bumblebee with a vehicle interior and articulated Sam Witwicky driver figure. Also pics of retooled Ironhide with new, more accurate big honking cannons.

Pics

Box pics of an all-new ROTF Voyager Starscream with a much sleeker F-22 Raptor form and a robot mode that actually has hands. His knees were bent too deep for the photos, though, making him look short and squat. Also, a redeco of Voyager class Prime and blurry Leader class Prime.

Pics

Starscream's cybertronix hieroglyphics are movie-specific.

All-new ROTF Bumblebee with a vehicle interior and articulated Sam Witwicky driver figure. Also pics of retooled Ironhide with new, more accurate big honking cannons.

A great idea that went down the toilet because Bumblebee has AGAIN been given a different design that looks like anything BUT what we saw in the movie. In fact- I'd say this would be worthy of Voyager McDonalds Happy Meal Bumblebee ...

Box pics of an all-new ROTF Voyager Starscream with a much sleeker F-22 Raptor form and a robot mode that actually has hands. His knees were bent too deep for the photos, though, making him look short and squat. Also, a redeco of Voyager class Prime and blurry Leader class Prime.

Going in the right direction - but I want better pics of that Starscream

Pete

WTF is with Starscream's paint scheme? I've only seen 1 pic of ROTF SS, and I thought he was in standard F-22 camo. Anyways--better, but still not good enough.

PS--if the answer to my question is at all spoilery, please just PM me.

WTF is with Starscream's paint scheme? I've only seen 1 pic of ROTF SS, and I thought he was in standard F-22 camo. Anyways--better, but still not good enough.

Do you consider the events of the IDW prequel to be spoilers? Or can I assume that some of the people who participate in this thread will see the movie and skip the prequels?

It's honestly not much of a spoiler either way. At the end of RoTF Prequel: Alliance #1, Starscream is musing the events of the first movie and the Reign of Starscream series. He starts thinking about the warriors of Decepticon history, and begins carving "their symbols" onto his body.

I do like the new Leader Optimus Prime, and potentially the new Voyager Starscream. But the rest of the line consists of too many tweaks on what amounts to repaints of toys I didn't care for the first time. I really doubt I'll spend much on this line, and I hope they don't put Universe on the backburner again over it.

Starscream appears to transform like G1 Starscream now - cockpit folds down into the bottom of the fuselage. His legs are now the engines. IDW artist Alex Milne said that Starscream appears in the movie with these glyphs, and that the Alliance comic just showed how he got them.

There's speculation that the new Bumblebee is a Voyager class toy, or roughly Alternators size.

I do like the new Leader Optimus Prime, and potentially the new Voyager Starscream. But the rest of the line consists of too many tweaks on what amounts to repaints of toys I didn't care for the first time. I really doubt I'll spend much on this line, and I hope they don't put Universe on the backburner again over it.
So far the majority of ROTF toys we've seen are all new toolings, with the rest being either retools and store-exclusive redecos. There's even an entire price point devoted to all-new designs and toolings.

Yeah, Universe is on hiatus since ROTF is providing the realistic vehicles product line again.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

I really doubt I'll spend much on this line, and I hope they don't put Universe on the backburner again over it.

I think Universe will be back sooner than last time. It wasn't too far behind other Transformers lines, and Bill Rawley did say that if it was successful, that the designers would get right back on it. In the mean time, I am looking forward to the TFC Toys, FansProject, and other fan group offerings.

Starscream is musing the events of the first movie and the Reign of Starscream series. He starts thinking about the warriors of Decepticon history, and begins carving "their symbols" onto his body.

So Starscream is EMO?

It looks like a fine toy. And what was wrong with the Deluxe class Bumblebee in the last line? it was reasonably accurate.

Deluxe Class Bumblebee in the last line was a mess of panels dangling off of a knock off Gundam-internal Frame. Deluxe class Camaro Bumblebee had no hand.

Neither of the two looked anything like the Movie Bumblebee.

Although, of course, both of them were miles better than Supreme Bumblebee, which can only rival Beast Machines Cheetor for the Worst Transformer Toy In History Award (sad that I say this about a star character from the live action movie).

Oh - and "new" Bumblebee voyager with sam also has no hand apparently?

no toy can save starscream's robot mode design

Yes, it can. But it has to be gun metal, with die-cast parts and lots of little moving parts and details and it has to be big. Starscream's design is sweet - just like all of the Movie designs. On screen - they look freekin' awesome. Really. These things can be done justice. Hasbro has just been making blocky robots or "pretender shell" robots (BW) for the past 30 years and doesn't have ANY clue as to how to create functional "real robots" like what the movie designers gave us. They are therefore failing at making the toys as good as the movie line. I understand a couple of compromises - but please - LOOK at the movie design of any character and look at these abominations. They are so totally utterly crappy. It's a shame. I understood the initial movie line toys being sucky because they supposedly didn't have time. But with the returning cast not changing their CG models (much), you'd think Hasbro had time to create some decent toys. They instead give us this crudzola.

I generally share this sentiment. It's "nice" (I guess) to see some hands on Starscream - but...um...it's still all wrong. They should NOT have done tweaks to existing moulds. They should have created all new moulds. The only thing that can save this is if they introduce a seperate line of more movie accurate high priced figures. But in general, in all honesty, all of their toys are just INTERPRETATIONS of the Movie characters - not representations.

There's speculation that the new Bumblebee is a Voyager class toy, or roughly Alternators size.

That's what I've heard too. A pity then that it looks like such an over-grown poopy. And did you notice the yellow steering wheel?

I don't mind a lack of detail and "cartoonish" looks in Transformers - really. But the movie line, if it's going to be based on the designs of the movie, should be more real robot. The colors on the line are all garrish - the paint jobs are flat. The details are random, haphazard and not based off of the movie design schematics.

Yamato should be making these toys.

Pete

It says in one of the pics of the back of the box that he bears marks from his reign over the decepticon army, whatever that means.

Deluxe class Camaro Bumblebee had no hand.

He had 2 hands, the cannon effectively disguised the hand it was held by for movie accuracy.

Considering that Hasbro and Takara had to get the designs started in 2005 and done within a year(line was supposed to initially hit november 06, if not a month earlier, as the movie was set for november 06), as well as the CGI designs not even being finished by the time Hasbro and Takara started the figure designs, I'd say it is fairly close, given what they had to deal with.

Hasbro has just been making blocky robots or "pretender shell" robots (BW) for the past 30 years and doesn't have ANY clue as to how to create functional "real robots" like what the movie designers gave us. They are therefore failing at making the toys as good as the movie line. I understand a couple of compromises - but please - LOOK at the movie design of any character and look at these abominations. They are so totally utterly crappy. It's a shame. I understood the initial movie line toys being sucky because they supposedly didn't have time. But with the returning cast not changing their CG models (much), you'd think Hasbro had time to create some decent toys. They instead give us this crudzola.

You are asking for Masterpiece Quality or higher. Given time and popularity, I wouldn't be surprised to see some characters made that way years later, but not now. It also does not help that the animators cheated with the designs, none of them are perfect transformation onscreen, it's just disguised very well. If we were getting a collector based toyline, I'd expect more detail and accuracy, but we aren't, we are getting a toyline that caters to a vast audience, kids, and adults included, though the latter is not priority. Engineering wise, it is a large step above many mass market Transformer lines before it, I've always said that no matter the styling, the Animated, classics 2.0, and movie figures have impressive engineering, look past the aesthetic and you'll be able to see it.

No. Yamato is used to making smaller production run, collectible toys catered to a much older fanbase.

I can understand why you guys don't like some of these toys, if there were movie toys only aimed at us, then yes I would expect more, these are not aimed at the same guys who only collect MP Transformers or Binaltechs. U.S. Retailers loved the movie line, have faith in realistic vehicle based Transformers again(just not as complicated as Alternators), and the line has done exceptionally well for Hasbro. As a business, it should come to no surprise that they will be focusing a huge effort on the Movie line and their audience which they will cater too, the majority being kids. Maybe we will get MP movie figures. I'd love to see that happen. Haskara can do it. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Deluxe Class Bumblebee in the last line was a mess of panels dangling off of a knock off Gundam-internal Frame. Deluxe class Camaro Bumblebee had no hand.

Although, of course, both of them were miles better than Supreme Bumblebee, which can only rival Beast Machines Cheetor for the Worst Transformer Toy In History Award (sad that I say this about a star character from the live action movie).

Oh - and "new" Bumblebee voyager with sam also has no hand apparently?

Huh? The Deluxe Camaro Concept Bumblebee had hands. It's the ROTF retool version that has a gun on his right arm instead of a hand, apparently. Not sure about this new one, he has a left hand for sure, but I can't tell if he has a right hand folded away somewhere.

What, so they break? Edited by Fit For Natalie

the only movie figures i have are concept camaro deluxe bumblebee, purple arcee, blue arcee energon repaint, and jazz g1 colors. if i had extra money i'd continue buying mp, encore, universe, binaltech (if they made anymore after arcee), and custom stuff like the classics ultra magnus armor before buying any movie figures. and that's after any animated figures which i also haven't bought except snarl because i loved the original g1 slag.

i'd buy a little megan fox figure though. :lol: