Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

Yeah...I was really bothered that the more expensive import had the better color schemes for every figure.

Ironhide didn't bother me too much, since I sort of thought his gray forearms looked out of place, even as a kid. But I painted the crap out of my Universe Ratchet.

I paid extra to get a JP Cyclonus (since the colors are COMPLETELY different), but no others.

I'm not arguing that Henkei Cyclonus is more cartoon-accurate, I actually prefer the US version. It's more toy-accurate, less feminine (I get that Cyclonus is purple, but lavender purple?), and sort of reminds me of his IDW appearance (which, in my opinion, was awesome).

I'm not arguing that Henkei Cyclonus is more cartoon-accurate, I actually prefer the US version. It's more toy-accurate, less feminine (I get that Cyclonus is purple, but lavender purple?), and sort of reminds me of his IDW appearance (which, in my opinion, was awesome).

That's cause EJ Su designed him :Dhttp://ej-su.deviantart.com/art/Cyclonus-h...oncept-85706614

Picked up Animated Leader Class Megatron yesterday for under $20. Very show-accurate and surprisingly easy to transform. As usual, I'm drawing the panel lines, but I'm also painting the big Decepticon symbol purple over the clear red.

Now all I need is a Voyager Optimus Prime (and a Deluxe Cybertron Mode version for his axe) to go duel with Megatron.

Picked up Animated Leader Class Megatron yesterday for under $20. Very show-accurate and surprisingly easy to transform. As usual, I'm drawing the panel lines, but I'm also painting the big Decepticon symbol purple over the clear red.

Now all I need is a Voyager Optimus Prime (and a Deluxe Cybertron Mode version for his axe) to go duel with Megatron.

Funny, I just picked up an Animated Leader Megs on Sunday too. I know a lot of people on TF boards were upset by the simplicity of transformation, but I kind of like an easy change sometimes. And besides, it works for this toy and each mode looks great. I really like him overall, he's by far my favorite Megatron toy out of all of them.

I think it's interesting that Megs was clearly designed to accommodate the Headmaster thing that comes with Leader Bulkhead but when you snap it over his head it doesn't say anything different. It's also interesting that Megs has a landing gear that folds down from the front, but it can only be used if you remove the gullet/cannon piece....which has it's own landing gear.

Funny, I just picked up an Animated Leader Megs on Sunday too. I know a lot of people on TF boards were upset by the simplicity of transformation, but I kind of like an easy change sometimes. And besides, it works for this toy and each mode looks great. I really like him overall, he's by far my favorite Megatron toy out of all of them.
The Animated toys are a lot of fun and the engineering is a mix of what they learned from Classics and the first movie line, so it's a winner in my book. They definitely proved that despite highly styalized designs, you can STILL retain full articulation. Something Mattel ought to implement, had they done that on their JLU figures, I certainly would have bought them by the ton.

Surprisingly enough voyager Prime, one that looks the most like his onscreen counterpart, is one of the worst voyagers in the line. I had to do the "seep super glue, move while drying" trick to stiffen up a lot of his joints. The automorph was tricky, I could do without it on this figure, and the ab section does not lock into place well at all on my figure.

My favorite Prime in the line is the Cybertronian deluxe, though I have a feeling Wingblade Prime will take the cake.

Surprisingly enough voyager Prime, one that looks the most like his onscreen counterpart, is one of the worst voyagers in the line. I had to do the "seep super glue, move while drying" trick to stiffen up a lot of his joints. The automorph was tricky, I could do without it on this figure, and the ab section does not lock into place well at all on my figure.

My favorite Prime in the line is the Cybertronian deluxe, though I have a feeling Wingblade Prime will take the cake.

Yeah, my Voyager Prime too unfortunately falls under the "floppy mess" category. Almost every joint was loose out of the box and the waist gimmick didn't work. My favorite Prime toys from Animated are the Activators and Legends versions (although Activators Prime has that ridiculously oversized peg to hold his legs together). I like the Cybertronian Prime as well. I'm also still hoping they release the Deluxe earth-mode Prime without the battle damage.

Have there been any photos released of Wingblade Prime?

Have there been any photos released of Wingblade Prime?
Nope, though I hope we see it at SDCC. It's basically the deluxe earth mode prime, I think without battle damage, and with armor parts that can form the trailer. The armor is also compatible with voyager Prime, and the trailer is said to be big, as in when you see it, you'll definitely be able to tell why Wingblade Prime is being sold as a voyager.

Nope, though I hope we see it at SDCC. It's basically the deluxe earth mode prime, I think without battle damage, and with armor parts that can form the trailer. The armor is also compatible with voyager Prime, and the trailer is said to be big, as in when you see it, you'll definitely be able to tell why Wingblade Prime is being sold as a voyager.

That sounds very cool. I really hope it sees production.

Dang, I just realized that I'm going to be on vacation in the boonies away from the internet this weekend when SDCC is going on, and for the entire week after. I'll have to do some serious catch-up when I get back! :lol:

Dang, I just realized that I'm going to be on vacation in the boonies away from the internet this weekend when SDCC is going on, and for the entire week after. I'll have to do some serious catch-up when I get back! :lol:

Smartphones, my friend. Even when I went away to a tiny town with a population the size of my graduating class, I still got my updates.

Got my MP TC even more apart than it already is---I got the "boobs" off! Now I can not only swap them left/right, but repaint them--as removing their pin actually makes that entire area come apart--so I can paint the parts individually, and not gum up all the joints. So my current plan is now to paint all the "gunmetal" areas silver. Not sure if I'm going to keep the blue stripes on the "boobs"---I could mask them off fairly easily, but it would leave a paint line/ridge due to build-up, and I was never very fond of them anyways.

Tried again (and again) but still can't get the intakes off. I got the pin to move, but it's "center-knurled" I think, and it'd probably destroy the cockpit to get the pin all the way out. I'm just going to have to mask and pray when I paint them.

I found a crack in the left shoulder joint when I got the chest apart---it's either a factory crack, or a crack from transformation stresses (the few times I've done it). MP seekers always have 'issues' with their arms aligning in jet mode--I figure it might have been from forcing the arm to align or something----the crack's along a DIFFERENT pin-hole, not the one I removed.

Did get a little crack in the hinged cod-piece, think that one IS my fault from removing the pin though...

I think it's interesting that Megs was clearly designed to accommodate the Headmaster thing that comes with Leader Bulkhead but when you snap it over his head it doesn't say anything different.

Ultra Magnus is like that too. Pretty disappointing.

I think they mandated that as the gimmick for the size class, then realized it made no sense whatsoever since Starscream and Sentinel Prime weren't destined for Leader-class.

I'm half tempted to say forget waiting for the leader and just go for his Voyager figure. I think what would look better standing next to Alternity Megatron anyway..

True, but I'm not a scale hound when it comes to TFs, I'm not even "collector" I only get odd figures that I think look cool and I'm just not impressed enough with voyager rotf SS... it's a HUGE step up from the first movie toy but still... :unsure:

Seibertron has what might be an image of Leader SS which can be seen here

Well, that was fast (thanks!). Looks promosing.

I'm not falling in love with it just jet but it sure ain't no shitty Leader Jetfire. Hell of a lot more proporcionate that Voyager SS too.

Semi OT but David maybe you can help me out here since you've pulled apart a couple of TFs. Do you have a reliable way to get those metal rods out of joints? I wanted to do some custom paint on a few RotF figures but I'm really not sure how to go about taking those areas apart.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-ho...ins-rivets.html

Just a note--some pins are just going to be inaccessible, too "stuck", or "the parts around them are too fragile." Also, BM toys seem to all have very "stuck" pins--I have yet to be able to get a pin out of any of them.

I use an actual nail punch, similar to but not identical to the one in the video. (I'd like one like that, but can't find it--that one has a constant-diameter shaft so you can go in deeper)

I currently use a balsa-wood block, but am going to get a chunk of basswood soon--balsa collapses too much for many pins. (but by being so soft, the pins go right into it, and the paint/plastic don't get damaged)

True, but I'm not a scale hound when it comes to TFs, I'm not even "collector" I only get odd figures that I think look cool and I'm just not impressed enough with voyager rotf SS... it's a HUGE step up from the first movie toy but still... :unsure:

I know what you mean, although I'm warming up to it.

I'm not a scalehound either, but I tend to stick toward deluxe and voyager-sized figures myself because of taste and space concerns.

Wow, HA Mudflap is just perfect!

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/a...achmentid=21941

Very nice stuff for animated (Blackout has dissapointed me :( but Prime is pure win) and ROTF.

Hasbro is sneaky; they are merging the movie designs look with the classics designs look. Now ROTF toys won’t look that out of place.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/s...roundup-168206/

Damn, there are a lot of very figures coming down the pipe. Wow, Wingblade Prime is awesome; and I happen to like Blackout. Lockdown and Bludgeon look like must-buys in my book. And geezus, HA Barricade looks good enough to me that I'll stop wishing for a MP version.

Edited by Letigre

A lot of the new figs are "close, but not enough for me to buy"---mainly all the new planes. Give me either real planes, or totally fake (but cool-looking and well-proportioned) ones. Semi-deformed parodies of existing planes aren't very appealing.

As for Mudflap--why couldn't Skids be that good? I just plain like Skids' colors a lot better. And WTF at putting Simmons with Mudflap---I'm pretty sure he drove Skids at the end.