A question to any VF-11 experts~!!

Sakura Shinguji

I was wondering about the transformation of a VF-11B. For some reason, I cannot find out what the underside of that plane looks. I am curious to know if on fighter mode and gerwalk mode, is the head visible from the underside? I noticed that the head is rotated back and pulled down just like a YF-19 but I do not know if a person can simply see the head from the underside; atleast with the YF-19, there is a covering for that. I couldn't not find a covering on the gerwalk mode.

My other question is that where does the upper tailfins go when transforming into gerwalk and battaloid modes? Thanks in advance~!!!

post-5101-1221109371_thumb.gif

post-5101-1221109385_thumb.png

post-5101-1221109411_thumb.gif

No tailfins on the back view~!!! I always thought that the upper tailfins would fold like the YF-19's but it seems not... X_X

Edited by Sakura Shinguji

I was wondering about the transformation of a VF-11B. For some reason, I cannot find out what the underside of that plane looks. I am curious to know if on fighter mode and gerwalk mode, is the head visible from the underside?

No. There is a back plate between the back thrusters in battroid mode that hides the face in GERWALK.

My other question is that where does the upper tailfins go when transforming into gerwalk and battaloid modes? Thanks in advance~!!!

The tail fins fold into the lower leg. The Yamato toy has the tail fins sliding out, but it should actually fold (rotate) in according to the lineart.

VF-11 has a cover for the head on the underside, a lot like the YF-19's. It ends up behind/below the neck in battroid. It's the piece with the small slots behind the "shoulderblade" parts. It LOOKS like it's attached to/between them, but it's not. I'm very curious how the new Yamato will do it, as it frankly sucked on the old one.

As for the tailfins--they rotate forwards, sliding INTO the legs. They are actually barely visible in the lineart when retracted, if you know what you're looking for.

Okay! Thanks David Hingtgen and azrael. Now, what about the magically appearing canopy that cover the cockpit glass in battaloid mode? ^_~ The instructions sheet is very helpful too! Would anyone consider the Yamato version accurate enough? I was considering the idea of modeling another "okay polygon count" transformable valkyrie.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little test earlier while thinking of how the tails could be bigger and still fit.. depending on the mechanism, you could get the tails to fit just fine with a combination of rotation and sliding motions. They'd have to rotate inwards till they were vertical, then slide and rotate in so they lay right up against the outer panels of the legs.

The tails in some line art may still be a bit big for this to work, but if you rotate them correctly you can make them skinnier along the diagonal, and keep the overall height about the same.

Edited by Chronocidal

To akt_m: My my~! I am soo jealous. Your model looks really really nice. I do not know the proportions of the parts yet either, but I will just just "play by ear". Thank you for the heads up though because I am using the fighter mode lineart.

Nah, its not very well done, it just looks kinda good because of the texture job done with ambient occlusion. But now that i saw the link provided by Kelsain, i see i did it all wrong!! No wonder i couldn't go from figther to battroid.

To akt_m: ^_^ Everything becomes better though the test of time... I think so anyway... Again, I still think that your VF-11 is pretty.

To Chronocidal: Awesome~! Thanks for the information. I want to have my cake and eat it too, so I will try everything that I can imagine to get my large tail fins... DO WANT...

Great progress!

When the base models are done, are you planning on doing a "Sound Force" texture scheme?

If so does that mean we can expect Ray's fighter in the future? (a vf-17 right?)

I'm curious not only for gaming, but because I'm hoping to find better textured fighters.

I make scenes from my fanfiction in the FS2 engine editor and then position my fighter to take the pic..

Models Please made some great LP ones, but for close ups the textures are kinda pixelated...

See what I mean?

White-standard, red Kai Fire Basara, Blue a 19s Excalibur

All by Models Please...

post-1514-1222500654_thumb.jpg

Edited by Star Dragon

To Star Dragon: To be honest, right after the VF-11, I will help out on creating a VF-4 or the YF-21. I will, however, try to make my UVW map compatible to the pictures from the THE UN-OFFICIAL COLOR SCHEME THREAD so that the fighter mode will be easy to make textures for. I still need to make my own YF-19 unofficial color scheme for fun too...

As for a VF-17, I am not really sure since I do not know how that transforms yet. I am actually quite clueless on any Macross universe outside of Plus. If anything, I really think that I need to find either a game to modify or a programmer to make an engine, or just stop being lazy and make my own mech simulator using the JMonkey Engine.

MACROSSVOXP, team is working on a VF-4 if that helps. Also I have a fighter version that might be close (static) by Rod ONeal at the battleclinic (milkshake to extract .mod files, or I can get it to you if you want, as a REFERANCE).

I had totally forgotten about it until I saw you mention it...

Edited by Star Dragon

As for a VF-17, I am not really sure since I do not know how that transforms yet. I am actually quite clueless on any Macross universe outside of Plus. If anything, I really think that I need to find either a game to modify or a programmer to make an engine, or just stop being lazy and make my own mech simulator using the JMonkey Engine.

I have the transformation line art for the VF-17 on my website:

VF-17D Nightmare Transformation

VF-17D Profile

Hope that helps.

*EDIT*

Whoops, looks like shadow3393 beat me to it. It pays to read ahead :)

Edited by Mr March

I love the Macross Mecha Manual site a lot~! Its a great place to find a good amount of data for the valkyries. The VF-17 looks nice. I hope that I don't end up doing every valkyrie~!

post-5101-1223300828_thumb.png

Try to use smooth and EdgeSplit modificator. Mark edges that you want to be sharp with Ctrl+E . It helps!

You check how it worked with my Sv-51

And do smth with material of your YF-19. It certainly does not look like metallic, more plastic I would say

Edited by SeminNV

Try to use smooth and EdgeSplit modificator. Mark edges that you want to be sharp with Ctrl+E . It helps!

You check how it worked with my Sv-51

And do smth with material of your YF-19. It certainly does not look like metallic, more plastic I would say

I can perform this, but I think that this modifier is only applicable for Blender related applications. If I were to export the mesh into 3DS or onto another game engine, I do not think that the edge data would carry over. Regardless, that would be great for making pictures. As for the material, I think that it looks nice but a bit too video game-y. I baked some ambient occlusion onto the texture using Blender, and the results are really pretty. To use, simply go to render, then bake render meshes, then ambient occlusion. Get that result and make that a multiply layer for your texture.

I can perform this, but I think that this modifier is only applicable for Blender related applications.

No, I think it would work fine, because after you click apply EdgeSplit simply splits the mesh. In other words, it duplicates

points on the boundary and creates two meshes. As a result, since two part of the mesh are not connected anymore, the smoothing works separately on them, that creates sharp edge. :p

Aslo, I am gonna use BGE for a while, so it is a Blender related application

Edited by SeminNV

Okay, there are way too many YF-19 pictures in a VF-11 thread, but really! I do not think that the texture looks like plastic. It is definitively not real, but then again, I do not know what else I can do to help the situation. I added nice details and added some nice shadowing.

post-5101-1223317975_thumb.png

X_X After posting, I realize that the model just really looks like my Yamato model... Boo hoo...