Ride Armors, Legioss and Treads! Oh my!

EXO

I have the CM tread and i have to say that it blows it feels like a cheap plastic toy.

a friend of mine already has the toynamy beta and he says that is miles way better than the CM , but he says that the only flaws he sees on the toy is the paint job so far .

I also just bought the toynamy beta and i should have it by monday and ill post pictures of the two so you guys can see the differences

I was searching the internet to see if there were any places that listed the Beagle/Toynami cyclone cheaper than the $199.99 list price. I found it listed at Toywiz.com for $149.99.

http://www.toywiz.com/macrosscycle1.html

I actually called them up to verify the price and they said it is correct. Does anyone know if they can sell it for $50 less than everyone else? I already got shafted with the price increase on the Maia Masterpiece, so I don't want to go and buy this from Toywiz thinking I'm only going to pay $150, then get an email staing they had to hike the price to $200.

I was searching the internet to see if there were any places that listed the Beagle/Toynami cyclone cheaper than the $199.99 list price. I found it listed at Toywiz.com for $149.99.

http://www.toywiz.com/macrosscycle1.html

I actually called them up to verify the price and they said it is correct. Does anyone know if they can sell it for $50 less than everyone else? I already got shafted with the price increase on the Maia Masterpiece, so I don't want to go and buy this from Toywiz thinking I'm only going to pay $150, then get an email staing they had to hike the price to $200.

It says "Robotech Macross Toynami Masterpiece Cyclone #1 Scott Bernard" but that isn't the Beagle version in the picture, it is the proposed Gakken(?) remold that WAS going to be their Masterpiece edition before they swapped to the Beagle mold.

I would be very wary of what you are looking at there.

Is Aoshima still another company making Legioss/Alphas?

Yes.

If you visit Robotech.com and head into the Premium Collections you will see "MOSPEADA Legioss AFC-01I Green 1/55 Scale - $79.99" and "Masterpiece Collection Alpha Fighter - Lancer VF/A-6I - $59.99" for what appear to be th same toy. The "MASTERPIECE Alpha" is by Toynami, the "MOSPEADA Legioss" is by Aoshima. Essentially the same mold but the Aoshima is a brigter color and supposidly an inferiour toy with huge quality problems.

Is Aoshima still another company making Legioss/Alphas?

Aoshima is no longer producing their Legioss refits of the Toynami MPC. I think they have been totally removed from their website under the product line they were released under. I asked them if they would be releasing the Toynami Beta in Japan as the Tread but they say all plans for the release were halted and they were not allowed to discuses it.

It says "Robotech Macross Toynami Masterpiece Cyclone #1 Scott Bernard" but that isn't the Beagle version in the picture, it is the proposed Gakken(?) remold that WAS going to be their Masterpiece edition before they swapped to the Beagle mold.

I would be very wary of what you are looking at there.

I was thinking the same thing. I figure that the best option is to periodically check their site and see if the price changes when the product is actually shipping.

Except that the Beta is supposed to be blocky. 'Brick with wings' sums up its design philosophy quite nicely :)

CMs was too wonky in my opinion.

Now I know you're just being contrary for no reason. The Tread is bulky, not blocky. It's very curvy and smooth. The CM's toy is incredibly close to the animation model. Toynami's design is really bad. They even made the missile look worse. Now they're red dots with little gray rings sitting in the middle of a black nothing.

post-1819-1229041475_thumb.jpg

No *reputable* dealer is going to be selling a new release for much less than MSRP.

Blocky vs. bulky seems like just a battle of semantics. That thumbnail looks like a bulky and blocky mech to me. One I like a lot... oddly I think I like it so much for the sound its ammunition made as it tore Invid apart in Robotech. It was the only ammo that made a sound like metal hitting metal and it was normally heard as a bad guy got shred to bits.

Now I know you're just being contrary for no reason. The Tread is bulky, not blocky. It's very curvy and smooth. The CM's toy is incredibly close to the animation model. Toynami's design is really bad. They even made the missile look worse. Now they're red dots with little gray rings sitting in the middle of a black nothing.

Actually, the Beta looks different in almost every shot of it I see. There are a ton of inconsistencies in the show dealing with the Beta. I think Toynami's is great and closest to the original. CM's looks cool, but the price is ridiculous and the Alpha is crap from them. I think unless Toynami's is a QC catastrophe (which could happen), then it'll be the fan favorite.

Actually, the Beta looks different in almost every shot of it I see.

That's why I compared it to a fixed model sheet. The CM's looks like that. The Toynami does not. The bomber cockpit completely misshapen in both modes. The legs are more primitively designed and the feet are a different shape entirely. The chest transformation is as primitive as the Lansay Tread. Honestly, the whole thing looks like an old Imai model than a modern toy.

maybe some kind souls would like to contact Beagle directly to inquire if they have any plans to release a Legioss in the future?

I cannot find the beagle contact or website anywhere. Does anyone have this?

I already contacted Yamato, and they are not interested in doing a Legioss

:(

Let's see how well they do with the Ride Armors first... :unsure:

That's why I compared it to a fixed model sheet. The CM's looks like that. The Toynami does not. The bomber cockpit completely misshapen in both modes. The legs are more primitively designed and the feet are a different shape entirely. The chest transformation is as primitive as the Lansay Tread. Honestly, the whole thing looks like an old Imai model than a modern toy.

I have to say that i own the CM version and it sucks it feels like a cheap toy all plastice not even worth buying it, i wouldnt mind paying $50 for it but it cost almost $300

I also just bought the toynamy version becuase acording to a friend of mine that own one already he says the only flaws so far is the paint , and he even said that you can put the old Gakken alphas next to him and ill look good (of course u cant link them )

The new Yamato 1/60s are essentially all plastic, do they feel cheap? While the CMs Tread certainly lacks heft it's obviously made of pretty high quality plastic and extremely poseable. Oddly enough, the one part of it that seems really cheap to me is the heavy ass piece of diecast arm that's supposed to be used to connect it to the Legioss toy... ugh, what a horrible design. The Toynami Alpha is also as heavy as a brick but that thing is clearly a cheap piece of junk in comparison to the light CMs Legioss. While the CMs Legioss may not look pretty there can be little doubt it's made much better than the Toynami toy and will last much longer despite weighing about a 10th of Toynami's effort.

I guess we'll never agree which one is better :wacko:

Even based on looks alone, the toynami legioss is awful (if it was a 100% IMAI model kit copy I would have considered buying it).

The CM's legioss/tread is infinitely better built. And, although I'm a lineart accuracy nazi, I like the liberties taken by CM's.

I'm a huge Mospeada fan, but toynami's offerings -> pass!!!

I guess we'll never agree which one is better :wacko:

Even based on looks alone, the toynami legioss is awful (if it was a 100% IMAI model kit copy I would have considered buying it).

The CM's legioss/tread is infinitely better built. And, although I'm a lineart accuracy nazi, I like the liberties taken by CM's.

I'm a huge Mospeada fan, but toynami's offerings -> pass!!!

Actually, the legioss looks great from Toynami, it's all the QC issues that keep me from transforming it a second time for fear it will disintegrate in my hands...they're known to do that you know...j/k...not really...

I want Toynami's Beta, but now that we know they are way overpriced (Toynami forcing stores to have a certain price on their items), I'll wait for the thing to hit clearance and save $50-$75. The Beta isn't the "flying brick" b/c it's stylish and curvy...

FWIW, During Mospeada's preproduction Aramaki walked into the studio one day and found someone had essentially designed a 'booster mecha' and stuck it to the back of the Legioss, so that the project could get in another potential product piece. (I believe this is mentioned in the DVD booklet, or in one of Matt Alt's interviews with Aramaki.) The thing is an afterthought, cumbersome, and on the whole rather poorly designed and thought out. That feeds a lot into the inconsistencies that constantly appear with it in the anime, line-art, and - ultimately - the toy renderings. No one seems to be really capable of developing a fully acceptable, variable rendering of the design because it inherently requires too much "anime magic".

I think both the Toynami and Brave Ghokin versions are roughly equal overall. It is simply six of one & a half-dozen of the other. The Brave Ghokin is colorful, playfully toy-like, and not completely accurate. Toynami's is hyper-detailed, a more "Real Type" rendering, and not completely accurate. Toynami's is massive, but expensive. The Brave Ghokin is two mecha in one, but is twice as expensive. Pick your poison.

Its laudable that either company has ventured to render out such a huge, complicated and esoteric beast as the TLEAD into a collectible toy. I think our hobby is all the richer for it, even if many of us can't afford to actually buy either of them... <_<

Edited by AcroRay

If Maia's shadow fighter is the first in the Shadow Chronicles Collection, what will the rest be? Besides recolors for everyone's Alpha, Beta, and Cyclone from the film, all that's left are the Invid drones, the Haydonite ships and personnel, and that advanced Shadow Fighter seen for a bit near the end. I'm still wondering how the last one is any different from the rest.

Am I missing any?

i've been so out of the loop, i have no idea whats going on in regards to mospeada releases.

with all these legioss's and beta's, its seems like whatever you buy its not because its the best one, but because its not the worst one.

as far as cyclone, i got first 2 megahouse release but they're both borderline craptastic so i haven't bothered to get the other/s.

i thought about picking up the CMs but they got wheels/forks that don't line up which is totally unexceptable.

the beagle looks promising but theres talks of toynami getting involved which means whatevers good about it will evitably turn bad.

how do i make an informed decision when everything every company has put out is subpar?

its like you just gotta deal with whatever you purchase instead of just being happy about it.

help me!

I thought the Toynami Alpha looked great and made a number of improvements on the Imai model (except maybe for the canopy).

I thought the Toynami Alpha looked great and made a number of improvements on the Imai model (except maybe for the canopy).

It sure is a helluva lot easier to just buy it than to try to BUILD Imai's old kit. That's worth the MPC's price alone.

While the Beagle MOSPEADA does look like it's going to be pretty good, the issue for me isn't so much the fact that it's $200 for one toy... it's that it will be $600 for Stig/Scott + Yellow/Lancer + Shinobu/Sue.

Sadly, I know myself well enough to know I will want all three.

And if they do Ray/Rand and Fuke/Rook one... $1000.

DND - steer clear of Mospeada merchandise until after the Beagle is released. Then read reviews for the Beagle. You're right, all the other stuff isn't worth the cost of admission unless your a Mospeada freak.

Well, that's why we're in this thread, yes? :lol:

In any event, as much as I admire the Beagle, Megahouse & Brave Ride Armors, I just can't afford to add them to my collection. The old Gakken will have to do, and maybe an old Imai figural kit or two. (Still have to finish the Fuke I started back in 1986...)

Although, the show-exclusive with the transparent & chrome parts are calling loudly to me from the direction of my Microman collecting motivations...