Whats Lying on your Workbench MKIII

HWR MKII

Nice! That's the Bandai 1/100th, right?

Actually, maybe you can help me out a bit... I'm still stuck on what the chin scoop is supposed to do... Seems like it just floats there? Are there any intakes inside of the scoop that would actually get some air to the engines?

Mine doesn't really fit on my workbench... But it's coming along... Slowly.

~Luke

post-3133-1271951182_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1271951197_thumb.jpg

Nice! That's the Bandai 1/100th, right?

Actually, maybe you can help me out a bit... I'm still stuck on what the chin scoop is supposed to do... Seems like it just floats there? Are there any intakes inside of the scoop that would actually get some air to the engines?

Mine doesn't really fit on my workbench... But it's coming along... Slowly.

~Luke

:o Holey crap dude....

Its the Platz 1/72 kit.

Bad luke Bad. No more of my money lol....Id love to have one though just time and finances arent helping. I got my kit off a friend. That lower intake is more of a blending shield for the nose gear housing. The main intakes are next to the cockpit channel. I see your using the Ram Jet option that Yukikaze was equipped with in EP 4. Thats a better idea and gives you a better place for an intake.

No worries, Sean, this is definitely a one-off. :p

It's actually not the ram-intake variant, which would have the two additional inlets above the top slit intakes, as well as flatter nacelles. I'm going for the 'vanilla' FRX-99; note the curved front intake channel, as opposed to the squared-off one the FRX-00 has.

Also, it's a prop-job, I'm after strong vertical performance, so EDFs were out.

I know, I know.... But come on, 5' long, custom retracts, 1:1 thrust/weight, and no vertical stabilizer... I had to cut corners somewhere! :D

~Luke

Judging from the BIG scoops on the top of the fuselage its the ram air variant. That or they just sit too high. Look how flat the top of my kit is compared to the top of yours. Also the curved cockpit channel wall is more of a Raif variant which is what the Yukikaze Mave was while it was an AI controlled UCAV in the first episode. That version didnt last long though once Yukikaze downloaded into it.

Heres an ortho straight from Bandai. The first is preproduction art. Note that the nose and the lobe arent connected and in the colored ortho they are. THeres a small sliver connecting the 2.

post-2293-1271979033_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1271979055_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

You're right, keep in mind the tops of the nacelles are not fitted/glued in place yet, so the slit intakes will be lower profile when all is said and done. They're only about 3/8"" deep, when everything is fitted down correctly. (I based my CAD model on the colored schematic you posted, with modifications up front to turn it back into a UCAV.)

The connector between the TARPS pod and the nose isn't installed yet, but will be there. I'd estimate I'm a good 2-3 months away from a the maiden flight, so there's a lot of stuff left to do.

Like I said, this is the UCAV (FRX-99 RAFE)... Thus the curved channel thingy. I figured an RC model of a UCAV had a certain novelty/irony to it... Maybe I'll even drop a TWOG autopilot in it, and actually make it a UAV. :D

~Luke

Took a break from building Macross kits.

Just finished the 1/60 Perfect Grade Gundam 00. The two GN Drives actually light up and rotate slowly and then to full speed when activated. Pretty cool gimmick. Now I just need to complete the GN 0 Raiser so it can attach to the Gundam to form Gundam 00 Raiser.

A 1/60 VF-1 was added in for size comparison.

post-7534-1272235894_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1272235869_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1272235882_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1272235857_thumb.jpeg

Pretty much done with the Cockpit, Canopy & Pilot. Pieces are simply fitted together in these pictures, very stable. No Glue or Putty done yet, maybe tomorrow. Then sanding, Paint & Decals!!

post-6180-1272330441_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1272330450_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1272330460_thumb.jpg

Mk. II is definitely more Starbuck-ish ... Doesn't L. Adama do most of his flying time on a Mk VII ?

I agree with you, Kara "Starbuck" Thrace this one shall be!

When the MK VII kits come out, I'll do that one as Adama! B))

Your Mobile Suit looks amazing Ron, great job!! B))

Thanks. I built it straight out of the box without paintiing it. I only touched up some areas with paint. ^_^

Almost finished!! Directions say to let the decals dry at least 48 hrs before adding a clear coat. So I'll do some battle scars in the mean time, and then its Starbuck to the rescue!!

More pics of my Viper (Battle damaged) in the Anime section!! :D

post-6180-1273193502_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1273193510_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1273193519_thumb.jpg

Edited by 505thAirborne

Love the Viper!!!!

I'm currently rushing to finish up a diorama for WF. It's supposed to be an X-Wing being lifted out of the swamp.

"I can't believe it"..."That is why you fail"

Next up...swampification.

http://home.comcast.net/~jestefarean/xwing/dull3d.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jestefarean/xwing/dull2d.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jestefarean/xwing/dull7d.jpg

This is the Captain Cardboard studio scale Xwing. MSLZ22 owns the patterns for this and several newer versions. This was an old kit of seconds I got pre-MSLZ22 that I wasn't sure what I was going to do with. Mike solved that when he released the landing gear kit featured in this build. It's a great 20 some part kit that includes all the gear, gear wells, gear doors, and closed wing blocks. It's been a blast to build and now I'm tempted to work on a Yavin base version someday with my V2. Hmmm..

Anyways...I'm not sure how long Mike will be offering the gear, so if by chance anyone is interested in a set I would recommend you PM him here on the boards or email him at salzo1@aol.com.

Cheers

Edited by Myersjessee

Love the Viper!!!!

I'm currently rushing to finish up a diorama for WF. It's supposed to be an X-Wing being lifted out of the swamp.

"I can't believe it"..."That is why you fail"

Next up...swampification.

http://home.comcast.net/~jestefarean/xwing/dull3d.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jestefarean/xwing/dull2d.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jestefarean/xwing/dull7d.jpg

Thanks Myersjessee! Looking forward to your diorama!!

"Perfection or No Perfection, There is No rushing." :D

Our board's second Battlestar Frontier Viper Mk II in construction. Mk II trying to be a Mk VII? Stay tuned. :p It's been a long time since I've built anything, so this is going to be more of a warm-up kit to have fun and experiment with.

post-9883-127360707611_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ghost Train

Camo is complete, and finished a first round of "dirty-fication." Not completely satisfied with the weathering and paint-chipping as it still looks a bit unnatural, but light years better than my last attempt doing this on a Zaku. Still need to decal (did things a bit out of order here), paint the dual cannons, and attach the base.

post-9883-127402644046_thumb.jpg

Almost finished!! Directions say to let the decals dry at least 48 hrs before adding a clear coat. So I'll do some battle scars in the mean time, and then its Starbuck to the rescue!!

More pics of my Viper (Battle damaged) in the Anime section!! :D

That is one HELL of an awesome Mk.2 Viper!!!!!! :blink:

Okay, here's four more of Neptune's 1/2500 Salan Scout Ship....almost done! :)

post-12888-127430550516_thumb.jpg

post-12888-127430552559_thumb.jpg

post-12888-12743055398_thumb.jpg

post-12888-1274305552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grapeape