Worst Manager in Macross History  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Manager

• Lin Kaifun (SDFM)
    • Marge Gueldoa (M+)
    • Akiko Houjoh (M7)
    • Elmo Kridanik (MF)
    • Grace O'Connor (MF)

Voted Kaifun, and not based on his personality, because while it may win him the Biggest Jerk award, it doesn't have quite as much bearing on his ability to be a Manager. He just sucks at it anyway. The others while also having their quirks perhaps, did remarkably well for their stars, unlike Kaifun who took over after Minmay was already a living legend. And fire bomber american seems to just have passed by in relative obscurity :p

I'm still at a loss as for the standards of comparison. Some people seem to vote based on how good or bad their managerial skills are. Some seem to be going by how big a villain the character turned out to be (regardless of whether or not the character was actually a manager, even!). Some people seem to be voting based on how much they disliked the show the character appeared in (only reason I can see anyone voting Akiko).

If you go by managerial skills, I'd have to go with Lin Kaifun. He's the only one you really see making deliberately bad managerial choices, that I can recall. I mean, Earth didn't have a very big population, and Macross City seemed to be the largest Earth city...and he refused to go there? The other managers we see are either shown to be giving their talent good hook-ups and gigs, or not shown enough of to really make a judgement call on.

If you go by how big a villain they turn out to be, well...Grace did destroy a planet, manufactured a war, and seems to be both generally evil and fairly successful at it. Even Marge was just a nutcase (also, not a manager!), and as flawed as they may be none of the other managers could really be considered "villains" (Then again, Keith makes a great point about Fire Bomber American).

You know, actually there is one manager that stands out as the worst to me. Honey, from Macross 7. Or was he just a producer for some label? Well, he had Fire Bomber, and wrote them off as a lost cause, and handed them to Akiko while making snide remarks. Then they went on to become the biggest thing since Minmay. As the kids like to say, "Epic Fail".

I'm still at a loss as for the standards of comparison. Some people seem to vote based on how good or bad their managerial skills are. Some seem to be going by how big a villain the character turned out to be (regardless of whether or not the character was actually a manager, even!). Some people seem to be voting based on how much they disliked the show the character appeared in (only reason I can see anyone voting Akiko).

If you go by managerial skills, I'd have to go with Lin Kaifun. He's the only one you really see making deliberately bad managerial choices, that I can recall. I mean, Earth didn't have a very big population, and Macross City seemed to be the largest Earth city...and he refused to go there? The other managers we see are either shown to be giving their talent good hook-ups and gigs, or not shown enough of to really make a judgement call on.

If you go by how big a villain they turn out to be, well...Grace did destroy a planet, manufactured a war, and seems to be both generally evil and fairly successful at it. Even Marge was just a nutcase (also, not a manager!), and as flawed as they may be none of the other managers could really be considered "villains" (Then again, Keith makes a great point about Fire Bomber American).

You know, actually there is one manager that stands out as the worst to me. Honey, from Macross 7. Or was he just a producer for some label? Well, he had Fire Bomber, and wrote them off as a lost cause, and handed them to Akiko while making snide remarks. Then they went on to become the biggest thing since Minmay. As the kids like to say, "Epic Fail".

Akiko was already managing Fire Bomber when she brought in Honey to produce the "Planet Dance" single...but, as someone else pointed out, he became the Jamming Birds' manager.

But wait...if Marj wasn't Sharon's manager, who was? Myung was officially her "producer," and Reymond was her owner...did anyone manage her...?

(Clearly not, based on how things turned out, huh?)

Akiko was already managing Fire Bomber when she brought in Honey to produce the "Planet Dance" single...but, as someone else pointed out, he became the Jamming Birds' manager.

But wait...if Marj wasn't Sharon's manager, who was? Myung was officially her "producer," and Reymond was her owner...did anyone manage her...?

same manager as Britney Spears, pre-meltdown, i guess. :p

Apparently, according to the comic that came with English Fire, Kaifun ended up on the Macross 11 Fleet and became Fire Bomber American's manager.

Wow... Are there scans of this thing anywhere?

I voted for Grace, for the reasons everyone has already suggested.

I'll have to rewatch, but I recall Akiko was introduced as a friend of Ray who was listening in, and picked up Fire Bomber when they were recording for a non-plussed Honey. I could be wrong, it's been a while.

Reymond Marley was her manager. Rather, he was the director of Sharon's Management Team.

Huh, unless my memory is really fuzzy, the Wiki page for Marge has changed from the description I posted earlier to "Assistant producer and lead scientist ... under Myung."

I'll have to rewatch, but I recall Akiko was introduced as a friend of Ray who was listening in, and picked up Fire Bomber when they were recording for a non-plussed Honey. I could be wrong, it's been a while.

Reymond Marley was her manager. Rather, he was the director of Sharon's Management Team.

Huh, unless my memory is really fuzzy, the Wiki page for Marge has changed from the description I posted earlier to "Assistant producer and lead scientist ... under Myung."

I think you're right on all counts.

Damn, I just had a big Macross marathon in February and March...looks like I'll have to do it again soon. Darn. ^_^

Elmo Kridanik was pretty good, he wasn't evil.

I have no problem with him.

Lin Kaifun is a freakin douche, but that doesn't make him evil;

I haven't seen M7 but I think Grace O'Connor takes the cake for worst manager (in terms of Evil)

Actually, that's how I remember it as well. Akiko simply stepped in and took Fire Bomber off Honey's hands when she got the chance.

Wow. This was a tough choice. I had trouble choosing between Grace and Kaifun. I'd have to say Lynn Kaifun is the worst manager in Macross history. He didn't fit into sdf-1's story very well. He was an alcoholic obnoxious jerk and treated Minmay like crap. He didn't do much for Minmay career other than costarring in a movie with her. In fact he seemed to hinder her. On top of that I got really sick of him using Minmay to spew his anti-war nonsense. Ok we get it. War is bad. He'd even berate soldiers for saving Minmay and himself from invading/rebelling Zentradi. So, Yeah. Worst Manager in history and overall King of the Dumbasses.

I absolutely hate Grace, but at least she fits into Frontier's plot.

I do kinda have to wonder if some people are thinking of Lynn Kyle, the Robotech version of Kaifun with all this talk of him being such a horrible person? One of the things that really struck me the first time I watched the unedited Macross was that, while still a hypocritical jerk, Kaifun was not nearly as bad as he was portrayed in the Americanized version of the show.

In Robotech he just kinda got worse and worse, and then stumbled off into the sunset, as big of an ass as ever.

In Macross, he was pretty integral to Minmay finally growing up and seeing further than the tip of her own nose. He was still a controlling, alcoholic hypocrite, but he did have a couple almost redeeming moments and was important to the story.

I do kinda have to wonder if some people are thinking of Lynn Kyle, the Robotech version of Kaifun with all this talk of him being such a horrible person? One of the things that really struck me the first time I watched the unedited Macross was that, while still a hypocritical jerk, Kaifun was not nearly as bad as he was portrayed in the Americanized version of the show.

In Robotech he just kinda got worse and worse, and then stumbled off into the sunset, as big of an ass as ever.

In Macross, he was pretty integral to Minmay finally growing up and seeing further than the tip of her own nose. He was still a controlling, alcoholic hypocrite, but he did have a couple almost redeeming moments and was important to the story.

But there's only one point relevant to this discussion: He refused to set foot in Macross City.

If your manager refuses to work in the place with the best states and the most people, he's a bad manager.

Grace fails as a human being, but Kaifun fails as a manager.

If your manager refuses to work in the place with the best states and the most people, he's a bad manager.

Grace fails as a human being, but Kaifun fails as a manager.

I agree. I said as much some posts back. Still, there's no consensus on what exactly a "bad manager" means in this thread. Hance people voting Akiko, Grace, Marge, etcetera.

My point was mostly directed at people who seem to be basing their opinion on what kind of person Kaifun was, and a few posts back someone making the claim that Kaifun somehow didn't fit into the plot of SDF:M.

But there's only one point relevant to this discussion: He refused to set foot in Macross City.

I would agree if the thread as focused on managerial skills, which it should be given title of the poll and everything, but with the poll itself not limited to managers, and people seeming to take it as some kind of "worst villain who happens to be maybe a manager" discussion, it's more difficult to say exactly what is and is not relevant.

Edited by Radd