How does a Variable Fighter move?

Good day to you ProtoCulture enthusiast!

I'm starting this topic as a means of getting over my obsession with the Variable Fighter vehicle, easily one of the most fantastic apparati in science fiction. And also to speculate with you how this complex system works. Prior to writing this I have had a less than comprehensive research about this issue. I did not quite have the opportunity to read or hear Shoji Kawamori's explanation of the SWAG Energy Conversion Armor System. Most of the official specifications from toys & scale-model replicas fail to mention any form of robotics. And in canon, everything is built from the alien OverTechnology. So I invite you to post your thoughts & counter points to what I have initially put here. So what is this topic all about?

I want to try to explain what makes a Valkyrie move - what gives it its propulsive power & its robotic ability.

Pt 0 - TECHNOLOGY

When Alien Space Ship 1 came to Earth it introduced to humankind an advancement in technology beyond their wildest dreams. It seemed the obvious benefits of this advancement were increased miniaturization, structural strengthening & over-abundant output efficiency. This new retro-engineered technology was dubbed OverTechnology.

Pt 1 - POWER

OverTech enabled the human race to create the first safe, cheap, compact & portable nuclear fission reactor. Three of these miniature cores are implanted in a Valkyrie system as follows: one in each 'leg' & the third in the 'central body'. There is also an array of rechargeable batteries feeding off excess energy that provide back-up power. And there is this last system I devised that operates via a SWAG system integrated in the pilot suit. It draws bio-electrical energy from the pilot & converts it for the VF's operation. The pilot must be in a catatonic state relying on BDI & BPS (Brainwave Direct Imaging & Brainwave Piloting System) to minimize wastage & become the 'central nerve' of the vehicle. However if used alone it greatly diminishes the VF's motive ability. It is relegated as a last motive means of resort (just imagine a ravenous zombie crawling along the ground in slow-mo).

Pt 2 - TRANSMISSION & CONVERSION

Another OverTech benefit is to integrate a power conduit & energy conversion system into the thin but durable armor comprising a Valkyrie's entire build. This was named SWAG by the higher-ups, I believe. SWAG converts & distributes raw fission energy into both electrical energy & propulsive force (thruster). Electricity powers the VF's control systems & robotic motors, whereas the Propulsive force courses through the vector thruster 'feet' and the various apogee motors throughout it's build. A good visual analogy to SWAG would be the Orbital Frames in Zone Of the Enders. You could very well see the Metatron energy coursing through the external veins of their armored bodies.

Pt 3 - ROBOTICS & AGILITY

There is no official type of system written that determines the kind of robotic motor used. It may be hydraulic, or muscular with artificial fibers, or just plain electrical servo motors not unlike the ones used in present day automatons Asimo, Qurio, and the iFoot. I'd like to believe that with the added boost of OverTech, highly sophisticated highly-compact, high-torque & high-speed multi-axis actuators where produced. Kinda like an electric servo motor on steroids. They were built in such a way to occupy only their respective joint area in the whole machine. This frees up a lot of internal space in a valkyrie for many various important systems like life-support & extra ammo/ordnance. Part of this robotic system are the myriads of motors that transform a valkyrie into its respective variant forms.

Pt 4 - THRUST

The VF flies in both the air & through a vacuum. In 'air' mode, the air intakes open and the rocket motors switch to an 'air friction' mode to optimize thrust. In 'vacuum' mode, the air intakes close and the rocket motors switch back to their default mode. This also makes it possible for the VF to fly in the air (& underwater) even when the intake vents are closed.

So there you have it, the start of this discussion. The way I've seen it, the valkyrie in actuality is really very much like a walking empty suit of armor that happens to be so well designed to withstand hard blows (remember the Studio Nue building that got smashed into by Ichijo's careless gerwalk landing in South Atalia Island?). But what do you think? There may be more to this than meets the eye. Feel free to reveal your sci-fi tech in relation to this topic.

Edited by Firefighter Destroid

Pt 1 - POWER

OverTech enabled the human race to create the first safe, cheap, compact & portable nuclear fission reactor. Three of these miniature cores are implanted in a Valkyrie system as follows: one in each 'leg' & the third in the 'central body'. There is also an array of rechargeable batteries feeding off excess energy that provide back-up power. And there is this last system I devised that operates via a SWAG system integrated in the pilot suit. It draws bio-electrical energy from the pilot & converts it for the VF's operation. The pilot must be in a catatonic state relying on BDI & BPS (Brainwave Direct Imaging & Brainwave Piloting System) to minimize wastage & become the 'central nerve' of the vehicle. However if used alone it greatly diminishes the VF's motive ability. It is relegated as a last motive means of resort (just imagine a ravenous zombie crawling along the ground in slow-mo).

I can't remember where, but I recall reasing that Valks were powered by pair-annihilation reactors which are actually nuclear fusion (not fission) reactors. Actually, I'm pretty sure official stats list the engines as thermonuclear, meaning fusion, reactors.

Also, BDI was only ever used in one prototype, regular valks are most probably controlled by actuators and the computer translating the movements into actions by the VF.

Also, BDI was only ever used in one prototype, regular valks are most probably controlled by actuators and the computer translating the movements into actions by the VF.

Yes, you're right. The only VF to have this system was the prototype YF-21 Omega One and it wasn't for generating power. But I just made up that last type of power system because it was intriguing.

Have you seen the expressive body language gesturing by Michel in his 25G while he was talking with Klan Klan the Gorgeous in Frontier episode 9? I don't believe that was done by him pulling levers & flicking switches. That has to be a function of Brainwave Piloting. You know, directly translating the emotions from his mind into body gestures while he's talking at the same time.

Have you seen the expressive body language gesturing by Michel in his 25G while he was talking with Klan Klan the Gorgeous in Frontier episode 9? I don't believe that was done by him pulling levers & flicking switches. That has to be a function of Brainwave Piloting. You know, directly translating the emotions from his mind into body gestures while he's talking at the same time.

I figure it's some sort of predictive system which translates small gestures and movements into the Battroids movements.

Even Isamu's YF-19 was pretty expressive when he wanted it to be (like he "blew" the smoke out of his gunpod.

I'm guessing that it partly has to do with the eyes, since we know that the helmet tracks where the pilot's eyes are looking at).

With the VF-25's, they could possibly be more expressive due to the EX-Gears. For someone as experienced as Mikhail, it pretty much must be second nature.

Off course, mecha control has always been one of the more vague parts of anime.

With the VF-25's, they could possibly be more expressive due to the EX-Gears. For someone as experienced as Mikhail, it pretty much must be second nature.

Yeah, it's pretty vague. But i doubt there's enough space in a VF's cockpit for its pilot to make such elaborate movements. But it may also be because minute pilot motions translate to full gestures externally, so you do have a good point regarding the EX-Gear as a puppet control system.

A lot of anime suffer from vagueness in giant robot piloting. Gundam being one of the most obvious one for me.

The Macross series up to MF have the same issue, apart from Omega-1 that have BDI.

I think, from our current technology outlook, only something like BDI is cabable to making what we see in anime possible (what Michel did when talking to Klan in ep 9).

From the top of my head, only two other anime sort of give a sensible design for pilot interface to giant robot, Fafner and Evangelion. The are based on something similar in nature to BDI.

The original VF-1 have only pretty standard cockpit control very much like a general fighter jet. But somehow the pilot seems to be able to control the battroid mode VF-1 to do pretty niffty things. :) When this happen, I just think "anime magic".

I am thinking the same for the power system and actuators for moving parts. The VF-1 battoriod will need some pretty advance actuators to allow it to do the things we saw. But generally with some advance tesch, not impossible.

I am quite interested in the SWAG system. I could be wrong, but somehow I have the impression that it have something to do with feeding power to the armor to allow more "strength", like to with stand some of the more minor "bullet".

Talking about bullet and missile, I have also seen unlimited ammunitions from older Macross series. The newer one are a bit more realistic (by our current technoligy standard) in comparison.

Weapon system is one area that is quite interesting too. How does it works. I don't think all weapon in Macross are ammuniction based. Some are clearly energy based, but it is not 100% clear to me which is which.

Michel's big gun seems to be energy based. And most of Macross-zero system are ammuniction based it seems (apart from the bird-man at the end).

Michel's big gun seems to be energy based. And most of Macross-zero system are ammuniction based it seems (apart from the bird-man at the end).

We've been speculating (in the mecha and technology thread) that it's a rail gun of sorts since he has a clip that he replaces in episode 9, also, the impact of his shots on the target don't seem to show any burn marks, however it does seem like some form of energy weapon when it grazes Alto and later on Brera.

Maybe at full power the gun creates a plasma trail around the slug? Or the clip could simply be a power source.

As for mecha movement, I always assumed that a certain series of movements (a set) was initiated by a certain combination of controls (like a game pad).

Say, a combination of two movements=raise and aim gun=pod. Another combination=block eye-sensors with fore-arm.

The pilots basically learn how to initiate these sets in the desired order. I never assumed that the pilots had ANY control over fine movement.

Maybe that's why Max was so good at that Valkyrie game.

A lot of anime suffer from vagueness in giant robot piloting. Gundam being one of the most obvious one for me.

True, but that's also a reason for this discussion - to open one's imagination on how they might actually do things. It may be fiction after all but when you watch Amuro & Co. moving levers back & forth it really draws you into their reality. Macross is no different but their rendering of ideas here in Frontier is in an even more realistic level. They totally upped the ante, so to speak.

And yes, anime magic will always be a reason why we love to watch. I guess those anomalies of old, like the infinite ammo, were a means of stretching the imagination. I vividly recall Ichijo walking out the GBP-1J from the hold and its feet would bend like soft rubber. Back then & even now most Japanese mecha designers (Kawamori included) never take into account the ability of the toe to flex upward. It's the toe that puts a spring in every person's step - the same should be with robots too. I know Asimo & Qurio don't have what I'm speaking of but that is because they don't walk & balance themselves in the same manner humans do. But I know real well anime robots should because they're so damn fast. The only anime mecha I know to be this elaborate are Tactical Armor Raiden Type-17 from Gasaraki & Arbalest from Full Metal Skin Panic & only one Gundam - the one in 08th MS Team & only one VF - the 11 Thunderbolt. Gunpla makers Bandai were able to foresee this and have since started making their MG & PG kits more flexible in the feet & shoulder section (gotta love that new MK II!). But this issue in anime is still the same. And Revoltech figures would have cut it, but no.

I'd like to know more regarding the weapon rifles & ordnance too. I figure ammo should be on the way out but that's not very exciting is it? Besides, nothing beats a giant solid radiating slug decimating the thick armor of a Vajra. How about reusable missiles that forcefully batter their opponent but return to their launch nacelles unscathed because of their own individual PBS & AI system? 25G's sniper rifle really rocks. It's original & a first for Macross - rifle variety. Long-range & absolute firepower.

I'd like to know more regarding the weapon rifles & ordnance too. I figure ammo should be on the way out but that's not very exciting is it? Besides, nothing beats a giant solid radiating slug decimating the thick armor of a Vajra. How about reusable missiles that forcefully batter their opponent but return to their launch nacelles unscathed because of their own individual PBS & AI system? 25G's sniper rifle really rocks. It's original & a first for Macross - rifle variety. Long-range & absolute firepower.

Reusable missiles? Howabout simply giving them their own laser/beam cannons, off course by doing that, you turn them into Gundam-esque funnels!

As for balistic weaponry, up until recently (with the VF-27) they haven't been able to produce energy weapons with the same rate of fire as your average gun pod. Also their probably easier to maintain (unless you're talking about Zent plasma rifles which come with a triple lifetime guarantee - the AK-47 of energy weapons) Although I think this was already discussed somewhere in the mecha and tech thread. (anyone mind linking?)

Edited by d3v

I am quite interested in the SWAG system. I could be wrong, but somehow I have the impression that it have something to do with feeding power to the armor to allow more "strength", like to with stand some of the more minor "bullet".

I understand your idea about the SWAG is it kind of strengthens the molecular integrity of the outer armor, right? I think that would involve making the armor highly malleable - like it were composed of energy-static nanomachines. But nanotech was virtually unknown in the 80s. That's interesting & it may also add a benefit to the VF's survivability.

My idea goes like this though - think of a metal plate, maybe the size of a thin wooden plank. Embedded within the plate are myriads of energy conduits that run up & down along it. These energy conduit serve the double purpose of transmission & conversion (that is, from raw fusion energy to electrical energy, fictionally speaking). If wired correctly, you could plug a car battery on one end & a video game console & HDTV on the other and enjoy some portable gaming & have a very sturdy metal table at the same time.

I understand your idea about the SWAG is it kind of strengthens the molecular integrity of the outer armor, right? I think that would involve making the armor highly malleable - like it were composed of energy-static nanomachines. But nanotech was virtually unknown in the 80s. That's interesting & it may also add a benefit to the VF's survivability.

My idea goes like this though - think of a metal plate, maybe the size of a thin wooden plank. Embedded within the plate are myriads of energy conduits that run up & down along it. These energy conduit serve the double purpose of transmission & conversion (that is, from raw fusion energy to electrical energy, fictionally speaking). If wired correctly, you could plug a car battery on one end & a video game console & HDTV on the other and enjoy some portable gaming & have a very sturdy metal table at the same time.

My idea of SWAG is that it simply converts the force of the impact and sends it back at whatever is hitting, nullifying it to a degree (depending on the % of the force reflected), kind of like a spring. Possibly cooked up in relation to the new composite materials that were coming out at the time (early chobham armor and carbon fibre).

Edited by d3v

My idea of SWAG is that it simply converts the force of the impact and sends it back at whatever is hitting, nullifying it to a degree (depending on the % of the force reflected).

I believe that was a function of the GBP system - the Reactive Armor concept where the kinetic force against a plate is equally repelled back. That all started with the Ingram's (Patlabor) cloth-like suit which balloons after getting hit. Besides, if SWAG was merely an armor concept what would distribute the VF's energy to enable its robot motors? Cables & separate conduits are absent unless the Boss (Mr. K) says otherwise.

I believe that was a function of the GBP system - the Reactive Armor concept where the kinetic force against a plate is equally repelled back. That all started with the Ingram's (Patlabor) cloth-like suit which balloons after getting hit.

Actually, Reactive Armor takes the hit for the vehicle wearing it, hence it's always something worn over the vehicles own armor.

Wherease most composite armor simply absorbs and dissipates the force of the hit. The concept is to simply convert the explosive energy to something less dangerous to the vehicle and its occupants, done usually by spreading the force out through different layers of weave or tiles. My idea was that it simply redirected some of that force back, either through the material used or the way it was weaved or most probably both.

Taken from the Macross Compendium:

Thermonuclear Reaction

A type of Overtechnology similar to nuclear fusion. Unlike nuclear fusion however, this energy reaction became an excellent power source of extreme efficiency, since the fuel does not necessarily have to be nuclear material and is also easily maintained in plasma state with the use of super dimension spatial theory.

Regarding Energy Converting Armor, here's my entry from my website, the Macross Mecha Manual:

Energy Converting Armor

An OverTechnology which redirects excess power generated by a vehicle engine into the specially designed armored hull of the vehicle, resulting in a significant increase in armor strength. Early variable fighters relied upon overtuned conventional engines producing enough power to increase armor strength to that comparable to a tank. Later variable fighters utilized similar energy converting armor, but featured far more powerful thermonuclear reaction engines. In 2059, the Vajra appeared utilizing a form of Energy Converting Armor so powerful it was nearly invulnerable to all but the heaviest of weapons. Although first mentioned as official fact in Macross Zero (2004), creator Shoji Kawamori publicly described the general technology of energy converting armor before Macross Zero and actually conceived it longer before. A video interview with Shoji Kawamori featured in the 1999 Mixx software Macross U-Print game for Windows 95/98 makes mention of ECA.

Actually, Reactive Armor takes the hit for the vehicle wearing it, hence it's always something worn over the vehicles own armor.

Wherease most composite armor simply absorbs and dissipates the force of the hit. The concept is to simply convert the explosive energy to something less dangerous to the vehicle and its occupants, done usually by spreading the force out through different layers of weave or tiles. My idea was that it simply redirected some of that force back, either through the material used or the way it was weaved or most probably both.

So SWAG would more or less be a physical defense system. Kind of like instead of the part collapsing due to impact, the energy kind of vibrates & reverberates around the struck area until it dissipates. Like a tuning fork.

What about the energy needed to operate the robot motors? Or the robot motors in question. There is hardly any info regarding this. Officially documented specs never mention the robotic system. It's usually only the powerplant as a propulsion engine. So what makes the VF swing its foot forward to walk? The foot thruster fired backward forcing an equal and opposite reaction?

Regarding Energy Converting Armor, here's my entry from my website, the Macross Mecha Manual:

So it's probably some material that's initially light, but when a current is run through it, becomes super hard.

Which is the reverse of what we all were thinking (converting energy from a hit).

Taken from the Macross Compendium:

It seems hard to imagine a radiant form of energy strengthening the molecular density of a solid object. But I get your point about the specially designed armor that can utilize this energy. It's pretty far-fetched indeed. Thanks for your entry, it cleared up some confusion.

But I would have also like it if the SWAG also acted as a universal conduit system that distributes power to all the VF's facilities. This would free up a lot of internal space for a variety of useful equipment, wouldn't you agree?

So SWAG would more or less be a physical defense system. Kind of like instead of the part collapsing due to impact, the energy kind of vibrates & reverberates around the struck area until it dissipates. Like a tuning fork.

What about the energy needed to operate the robot motors? Or the robot motors in question. There is hardly any info regarding this. Officially documented specs never mention the robotic system. It's usually only the powerplant as a propulsion engine. So what makes the VF swing its foot forward to walk? The foot thruster fired backward forcing an equal and opposite reaction?

All of the internal diagrams show actuators and motors. They walk just by walking. You might want to check out episode 2 of Macross Zero to see a VF-0 is GERWALK mode just walking along. If you want some examples of the power distribution system and a shot of one of the actuators. Here's some snaps from Macross Zero episode 1. While Roy's VF-0 is transforming, there is a graphic displaying the power transfer from the engines to the rest of the machine with the major actuators highlighted and a shot of one of the actuators.

post-1819-1212420303_thumb.jpg

post-1819-1212420353_thumb.jpg

post-1819-1212420431_thumb.jpg

For control I imagine that having some form of rudimentry AI would be necessary. In battletech, the mechs maintain balance with a neurohelmet and the onboard computer. In Heavy Gear, Gears have to be be "trained". I would imagine the vf would already have the necassary programs to have basic movements executed with just using the controls.

ie. I push throttle forward I move forward, weather in battleroid, gerwalk or fighter. (granted it woudl be more complex for 3d movement) For more precise movements I can see a sort of BDI system in thier helmet or a more sensitive control like in heavy gear.

my 2 cents.

Here's a VF-0 walking in GERWALK mode. In regards to how the machine is controlled, Shin uses the foot pedal assembly to activate the engines in the legs to push the GERWALK into a standing position and he works the right joystick a bit to get it to turn. It actually balances itself even after the loss of one arm and wing and while Shin was firing the gunpod at the ground and then walking the fire into the air to hit Nora's Sv-51.

post-1819-1212429890_thumb.jpg

Pt 2 - TRANSMISSION & CONVERSION

Another OverTech benefit is to integrate a power conduit & energy conversion system into the thin but durable armor comprising a Valkyrie's entire build. This was named SWAG by the higher-ups,

SWAG, currently, only refers to the type of ECA found on the VF-0 and SV-51. We don't know the ECA designations found on later VFs.

Yes, you're right. The only VF to have this system was the prototype YF-21 Omega One and it wasn't for generating power. But I just made up that last type of power system because it was intriguing.

Unfortunately, it's highly questionable, too. Throw a few D cells in the cockpit instead. You'll get more juice out of them than an elaborate bio-electrical tap.

And as others have said... fusion, not fission.

Mr. March: I've always been a bit bothered by the official description of thermonuclear reaction since real-world fusion doesn't use nuclear material*. Certainly the part about overtech being used to maintain the reaction makes a lot of sense, though.

*In fact, most nuclear materials are WAY too high up the periodic table to get energy out of in a fusion reaction, aside from being almost impossible to fuse in the first place.

JBO

Yeah, you're right about that. But the description is taken directly from the Macross Compendium so it's accurate.

When describing the reaction technology, the writers should have spoken in more general terms of elements. BUT if you read the Macross Compendium description I quoted very closely and take it literally as is, it doesn't imply real fusion technology uses SNMs, but that this type of fictional OverTechnology pair-annihilation is NOT LIMITED to the use of SNMs (thus implying the technology's superiority over our current nuclear tech, which needs to use nuclear material). AT THE SAME TIME, the description also seems to imply that pair-annihilation CAN use SNMs as a reactant. Hence, it appears that pair-annihilation can use almost anything as fuel - SNMs or common elements alike - and still achieve extremely high efficiency reactions. Does that make sense?

Of course, the super dimension spatial theory is a scientific cheat much like fold space. In reality, we have no clue how to create a perpetual high energy containment system for a fusion reactor that doesn't require more energy input than the output of the fusion process itself. So Kawamori and Co. invented a way around it :)

Edited by Mr March

I've always felt that a VF's controls system was more like the Patlabor/Heavy gear system where the machine learned how to do things and saved them for later to do again. Or could be programed into other units. All the pilot has to do is direct the Machine in most cases, not unlike a well trained horse. Now when it comes to something new or delicate the pilot can have closer direction. Both Patlabor and heavy gear used telemetry gloves and VR. A VF has those built into each stick, and as long as the eye tracking is working the VF knows where the pilot wants the hand.

Another idea an F-16 uses a pressure sensitive stick not a gimble, so it dosen't actually move , the EX-gear is the pilots chair, right? So their are articulations with sensors every where. That could explain why the VF-25 is so animated, no pun intended.

JBO

Yeah, you're right about that. But the description is taken directly from the Macross Compendium so it's accurate.

Yeah. It's just a pain. The first half really does read like whoever was writing the official spec was confusing fission and fusion.

That or they were covering their butts since the masses don't understand there's two kinds of nuclear reaction.

When describing the reaction technology, the writers should have spoken in more general terms of elements. BUT if you read the Macross Compendium description I quoted very closely and take it literally as is, it doesn't imply real fusion technology uses SNMs, but that this type of fictional OverTechnology pair-annihilation is NOT LIMITED to the use of SNMs (thus implying the technology's superiority over our current nuclear tech, which needs to use nuclear material). AT THE SAME TIME, the description also seems to imply that pair-annihilation CAN use SNMs as a reactant. Hence, it appears that pair-annihilation can use almost anything as fuel - SNMs or common elements alike - and still achieve extremely high efficiency reactions. Does that make sense?

Assuming SNM = standard nuclear material, then yes.

Overtech generators = Mr. Fusion.

(Yes, I wince when Doc throws the beer can into the Mr. Fusion. Which really seems to be more fuel cell than fusion, given he cherry-picks organic matter out of the trash can. I'm THAT kind of person. You should've heard me coming out of the theater after Spiderman 2.)

Of course, pair-annihilation seems to be a more modern addition to the continuity.

And is more applicable to antimatter reactions than fusion. Of course, antimatter reactions are pretty much guaranteed to belch hard radiation, unlike fusion(which can be quite clean).

Yay retcons?

(Has that been adapted into the power plants too, or just the weapons? )

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Reaction_Weapon

*laughs at the production note*

Of course, the super dimension spatial theory is a scientific cheat much like fold space. In reality, we have no clue how to create a perpetual high energy containment system for a fusion reactor that doesn't require more energy input than the output of the fusion process itself. So Kawamori and Co. invented a way around it :)

Actually, we're getting fairly close now.

Certainly, super-dimension etcetera would have boosted things forward a few decades, but...

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Reaction_Weapon

*laughs at the production note*

Well, at least in universe, the threat of total annihilation by an alien force certainly puts things into perspective, that the fact that reaction warheads should be cleaner since they don't use SNM might mean that John Q. Citizen doesn't mind it as much when nukes are used.

Besides, for some invading alien forces, that may not be a bad thing when the alternative is a large sound booster shot into the bridge of your flagship playing the latest pop hits. :lol:

Edited by d3v

Well, at least in universe, the threat of total annihilation by an alien force certainly puts things into perspective, that the fact that reaction warheads should be cleaner since they don't use SNM might mean that John Q. Citizen doesn't mind it as much when nukes are used.

In-universe, there's no real difference between fusion and pair-annihilation. Aside from PA is vastly more powerful for a given size.

IRL, fusion weapons currently require a fission starter, which makes them less clean than they could be. And we're limited in the fusion reactions we can initiate, so the cleaner reactions remain unfeasable for a weapon.

Overtechnology probably solves both issues

Meanwhile, pair-annihilation weapons require the manufacture of an utterly absurd amount of antiparticles. And the creation of a reliable and effective containment vessel.

Overtechnology probably solves both issues(though fusionables will almost certainly remain easier to make than antiparticles).

Storage-wise, fusion is infinitely safer than pair-annihilation. There's just so much more that can go wrong with a big pile of antimatter.

Besides, for some invading alien forces, that may not be a bad thing when the alternative is a large sound booster shot into the bridge of your flagship playing the latest pop hits. :lol:

An excellent point. Sometimes, flooding an area with antiparticles is the lesser evil(regardless if the lesser evil is Mylene or Minmay).

Talking about moving a VF, I always wonder how the pilot control the arms movement like Alto's valk grabbing Ranka with two hands? I mean, in that situation, you can hold Ranka with either a hand (Like Hikaru did to Mimmay in DYRL?)or two hands, so how pilots suppose to determine which methods to use?

Talking about moving a VF, I always wonder how the pilot control the arms movement like Alto's valk grabbing Ranka with two hands? I mean, in that situation, you can hold Ranka with either a hand (Like Hikaru did to Mimmay in DYRL?)or two hands, so how pilots suppose to determine which methods to use?

Gerwalk mode is a mixed bag it seems as the throttle still needs to control thrust. But then again, it's probably the computer deciding that this action is what th pilot wants combined with a certain elvel of direct control from the pilot.