About the Macross Chronicles

Kawamori said it in an interview posted on these boards. I'm not 100% sure he used the term "backlash", but there was some reference about negativity toward Mac7. Unfortunately the translator (can't recall the member) didn't elaborate on the context of the comment.

I remember the question is about continuity and where exactly M7 is placed.

For someone who was expecting a SDFM TV continuation what is with the DYRL references? Which continuity is the canon?

Its like Macross Plus OAV vs Macross Plus Movie. Which events really happened?

Though you could point it as a recon, DYRL is explicitly twice referenced as a movie. In Macross 7 and Macross 7 The Galaxy is Calling Me. Basically SDFM TV events with DYRL designs.

Then you have Macross Frontier referencing both SDFM TV and DYRL.

Now with the upcoming Macross Frontier movie you have two interpretations of the same event. Same goes for broadcasted Episode 1, Deculture edition and Yack Deculture edition.

All of this points out to what Kawamori masterfully answered. It is all fiction or rather meta-fiction. Meta-fiction means a fiction within a fiction. That he doesn't remember every single bit of his input to the franchise. ^_^

On another note I do wonder about the VF-11B Protect Armor. I'm looking at the VF-X2 screens apparently it is armed with a nuke.

post-9033-1254550503_thumb.jpg

On another note I do wonder about the VF-11B Protect Armor. I'm looking at the VF-X2 screens apparently it is armed with a nuke.

post-9033-1254550503_thumb.jpg

Yep, at least 2 in the game anyway. It was glorious seeing at work taking out an end boss destroyer in one of the missions with just one shot.

Yep, at least 2 in the game anyway. It was glorious seeing at work taking out an end boss destroyer in one of the missions with just one shot.

Just as long as you're not within the blast radius. I made the mistake once of flying into the radius... game over. The Hatchet class destroyer also fires off nukes with blast radiuses, too. More of them at the higher difficulty levels.

• 2 weeks later...

Chronicle #34:

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-0A Phoenix

* Zentradi Forces Pods

* Battle Suits

* VF-17 Nightmare

Character Sheet

* Ranka Lee

* 33rd Naval Platoon

* Roy Focker

* Aries Turner

* Pedro / Margarita

Timeline Sheet

* The Destruction of Lux

History Sheet

* Battle 7, First Transformation

World Guide Sheet

* Macross Frontier Fleet

Technology Sheet

* Beam Weapons

Glossary Sheet

* Queadluun-Rau ~ Factory Satellite

Good Sheet

* Bandai Chogokin VF-25 Messiah Valkyrie/Armored Pack

Nothing that really excites ME in this issue...how 'bout you guys?

I'm sure the beam weapons article will be enlightening, but the rest doesn't really thrill me... I keep hoping for some more Macross II stuff, and I keep getting disappointed.

I'm sure the beam weapons article will be enlightening, but the rest doesn't really thrill me... I keep hoping for some more Macross II stuff, and I keep getting disappointed.

They'll get to it. They've clearly committed to doing at least Mechanic, Character, and Glossary Sheets for it. I hope they have History Sheets planned for it, as well, but I wonder...

They'll get to it. They've clearly committed to doing at least Mechanic, Character, and Glossary Sheets for it. I hope they have History Sheets planned for it, as well, but I wonder...

Eh... they probably will, but because they've consolidated the Macross II stuff into a relatively small number of sheets, there's very little opportunity for new information, and it's spread pretty thin across the 50 issue run. I've gone back and double-checked, and a lot of the "new" information isn't new at all, it's just obscure... mainly because it comes from those small, borderline-illegible notes scribbled in the margins of the design sheets. Still... I guess I should laud them for their thoroughness, if nothing else.

If they do have History Sheets or Timeline Sheets for the alternate universe continuity, I expect they'll probably be put in the last few issues to avoid potential confusion with the main continuity's events and timeline.

Of late, the only thing that's kept me reading has been the technology sheets... the fold drive one was kind of disappointing though... didn't offer much in the way of new information.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Eh... they probably will, but because they've consolidated the Macross II stuff into a relatively small number of sheets, there's very little opportunity for new information, and it's spread pretty thin across the 50 issue run. I've gone back and double-checked, and a lot of the "new" information isn't new at all, it's just obscure... mainly because it comes from those small, borderline-illegible notes scribbled in the margins of the design sheets. Still... I guess I should laud them for their thoroughness, if nothing else.

If they do have History Sheets or Timeline Sheets for the alternate universe continuity, I expect they'll probably be put in the last few issues to avoid potential confusion with the main continuity's events and timeline.

Of late, the only thing that's kept me reading has been the technology sheets... the fold drive one was kind of disappointing though... didn't offer much in the way of new information.

Well...while I share your sentiments to a degree, Macross Chronicle is, I believe, meant to be a general reference, not a "Secrets of Macross" kind of thing, so naturally new information is going to be sparse (unless it involves Zero or Frontier). I see it as a way to get A LOT of Macross information that is spread in drips and drabs across a few dozen books and magazines into one easily accessible place...and yes, while they are deinfitely trying to appeal to the hardcore fan who has a bunch of back issues of OUT or Animage from the '80s stashed away in his closet, that's not who they're really gearing the magazine to.

I think of the ideal audience for Chronicle as being a young guy who saw Frontier, loved it, then borrowed his older brother's LDs of the previous shows, loved those too, and now wants to know more. A lot more. ^_^

I'm mainly interested in stuff I don't have collected in books, so M7 Dynamite and Movie (but also the last bunch of M7 TV episodes that hasn't been covered before, including Encore), M0 and MF. So I'm really interested in

* VF-0A Phoenix

* Ranka Lee

* 33rd Naval Platoon

* Roy Focker (M0 version)

* Aries Turner

* Pedro / Margarita

Timeline Sheet

* The Destruction of Lux

History Sheet

* Battle 7, First Transformation

World Guide Sheet

* Macross Frontier Fleet

As for MII, as a fan of the series I fear they are not going to cover it as much as I'd like (I fear we won't see the transformable Mardook battlesuit, or the VFXX). I do hope to see more character sheets of Sylvie and, of course, color spreads of MII destroids, Metal Siren, VFII JA and VFII SS Fast pack

Yeah...beam weapons seem to be the only interesting thing. I predict mentioning about head lasers, the Strike pack, the VF-4, VF-17, VF-22, and the VF-27.

If they at least cover the various major flavors of beam weaponry and give a general explanation of how they work, I'll consider it worthwhile. Anything beyond that is a bonus for me... I'd really love a good breakdown of converging beam cannons, and the U.N. Spacy's particle beam guns.

(...)

The following do:

* Zentradi Forces Pods - finally!

* Battle Suits - will this be both the Nousjedel-ger and Queadlunn-Rau? Just the Nousjadel-ger? The one from M+? Or the ones from MII?

* Macross Frontier Fleet

* Beam Weapons

* Battle Suits - will this be both the Nousjedel-ger and Queadlunn-Rau? Just the Nousjadel-ger? The one from M+? Or the ones from MII?

I would be inclined to suspect that it's either the original series ones or the one from Macross Plus... the ones from Macross II are consistently referred to as "Powered Suit"... so I'd guess they would probably use the same terminology in Chronicle.

Enh, it'll probably be a "B" page. The "A" page was in issue 25.

Eh? It's not the battle pods? Darn it... well, hopefully it'll include (what the Palladium RPG refers to as) the Recovery Pod. Probably the "shuttle" and "hover platform" too...

If they at least cover the various major flavors of beam weaponry and give a general explanation of how they work, I'll consider it worthwhile. Anything beyond that is a bonus for me... I'd really love a good breakdown of converging beam cannons, and the U.N. Spacy's particle beam guns.

Now that I think about it, they'll probably focus the ship-borne beam weapons mostly with the VFs getting honorable mention.

Now that I think about it, they'll probably focus the ship-borne beam weapons mostly with the VFs getting honorable mention.

The Macross F website doesn't have it in the news section yet... so... some observations about #33

Macross Quarter: I remember when I translated the Great Mechanics.DX article on it (yeah, yeah, English version coming soon on the web) and was confused about a section that I thought translated as "is composed of 5 ships". At the time, I thought it was an error, 'cause they only mentioned 3 seperate ships (Macross Quarter, ARMD-L and ARMD-R). MC has cleared it up - it is indeed 5 ships:

Macross Quarter

ARMD-L (Carrier)

ARMD-R (Gunship / Gattling style buster cannon)

BASTER-L (Moveable Battery* Warship)

BASTER-R (Moveable Battery* Warship)

*That's battery, as in Gun Battery.

There isn't a clarification of what BASTER means (unlike the ARMD page which describes what ARMD means). The fact that it's all capitals dispels the belief that it's a typo (baster > buster, or booster).

VF-5000 - as expected, it's all about the aerospace booster pack (sadly not including the one that Kawamori-san designed for the model kit), as well as the VF-5000G and VF-5000T-G.

VF-27 - all about the tawny (greeny?) variant. It also has about 1/3 of a page devoted to the AIF-9V. What, no seperate page for it?

Tech: immigrant ship: only covers the Macross class, Megaroad class, and New Macross class - with a little bit on the SDFN. Maybe the Island Cluster class will show up on the c page?

Glossary - the capital city of Eden has been clarified. It's called "Capital City". :roll: It's nice to see both Gilliam Angret (Giriamu Angureet) of VF-X2 mentioned, as well as the Queadluun-Nona :!:

The 1/60 YF-19 has the 25th anniversary model, as well as the 3rd prototype "Bird of Prey" and 4th prototype "Double Knights".

The extra sheet summarizes the story and main characters and mecha of SDF:M, as well as the block of stats on episode No, title, director, and so on.

Macross Quarter: I remember when I translated the Great Mechanics.DX article on it (yeah, yeah, English version coming soon on the web) and was confused about a section that I thought translated as "is composed of 5 ships". At the time, I thought it was an error, 'cause they only mentioned 3 seperate ships (Macross Quarter, ARMD-L and ARMD-R). MC has cleared it up - it is indeed 5 ships:

Macross Quarter

ARMD-L (Carrier)

ARMD-R (Gunship / Gattling style buster cannon)

BASTER-L (Moveable Battery* Warship)

BASTER-R (Moveable Battery* Warship)

Did anyone else read this and immediately think of Voltron?

There isn't a clarification of what BASTER means (unlike the ARMD page which describes what ARMD means). The fact that it's all capitals dispels the belief that it's a typo (baster > buster, or booster).

Have they actually given a definition for the ARMD acronym now? I haven't bothered to give either ARMD page a good look yet, but I remember in the old Sky Angels VF-1 Tech Manual doujin it was defined as "Armament Rigged-up Moving Deck". Have they given another definition for it, or did they reiterate that one?

Glossary - the capital city of Eden has been clarified. It's called "Capital City".

How very... imaginative...

Have they actually given a definition for the ARMD acronym now? I haven't bothered to give either ARMD page a good look yet, but I remember in the old Sky Angels VF-1 Tech Manual doujin it was defined as "Armament Rigged-up Moving Deck". Have they given another definition for it, or did they reiterate that one?

Kinda reiterated it. "Armaments Rigged-Up Moving Deck".

Chronicle #34:

Loads of stuff excites me, specifically: -

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-0A Phoenix

* Battle Suits

* VF-17 Nightmare

Technology Sheet

* Beam Weapons

Can't go wrong with more VF-17!

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

#35 looks a bit more promising than #34 did...although both Seto Kaiba and Azrael may rage about it a bit. :D

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-25G Messiah

* VF-1A Valkyrie

* Macross 7

* FBz-99G Zaubergeran

Character Sheet

* Monica / Mina / Lam

* Gavil

* Glavil

* Lynn Minmay

Timeline Sheet

* The Night Before the Decisive Battel

World Guide Sheet

* Earth

Technology Sheet

* Variable Fighter / History and Development 3

Glossary Sheet

* Factory Ship Three Star ~ G

Goods Sheet

* Megahouse Excellent Model Series 2 / Sheryl Nome

Extra Sheet

* Production Data: Macross Plus / Macross Plus Movie Edition / Macross Zero

#35 looks a bit more promising than #34 did...although both Seto Kaiba and Azrael may rage about it a bit. :D

*sigh* Still no Macross II-related materials, and yet another VF-1A mechanic sheet and Lynn Minmay character sheet?

Character Sheet

* Monica / Mina / Lam

* Gavil

* Glavil

* Lynn Minmay

World Guide Sheet

* Earth

At least this issue has two articles I can muster some enthusiasm for.

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-1A Valkyrie

Character Sheet

* Lynn Minmay

That's double rage right there.

Well, at least Macross 7 has a sheet. Although I think it's a B-sheet.

That's double rage right there.

I knew you'd be excited. :p

But hey...how many more Minmay pages can they do? They've finished SDFM for her, and they've gotten halfway through DYRL. Since Minmay doesn't appear throughout a large portion of the second half of the movie, I'm betting one more sheet will finish it off. And then there's Flashback, but that'll probably only be one sheet, too.

The VF-1, on the other hand...well, there are many variants of the 1A, and we still haven't gotten the 1D or the Armored yet... :unsure:

But hey...how many more Minmay pages can they do? They've finished SDFM for her, and they've gotten halfway through DYRL. Since Minmay doesn't appear throughout a large portion of the second half of the movie, I'm betting one more sheet will finish it off. And then there's Flashback, but that'll probably only be one sheet, too.

Meh, they can milk her for sheets indefinitely, just like they're doing to Mylene. She's up to what, G?

The VF-1, on the other hand...well, there are many variants of the 1A, and we still haven't gotten the 1D or the Armored yet... :unsure:

There's only VF-1A sheet I really want to see, and I know full well they'll never cover the VF-1AR from Macross 2036.

Contents of #34:

VF-0A - nothing unexpected

Zentraadi Forces Pods: Large Landing Pod: large decent pod, Recovery Craft, and Air Battle [Dogfight] Pod! The last one is the most surprising. About half of the reverse is devoted to it. The other two quarters to the other two.

Battlesuit: Battle use Power(ed) Suit that's driven by the gone astray Zentraadi. Sadly, other than it being 20 m, there is no information on it... literally. The text actually makes the point of saying the specs are unknown!

VF-17 is the B sheet, with the blue VF-17D, VF-17S (Maria's craft) and Foldbooster and Radome equipped types on the reverse.

Ranka is the C sheet. Looks like it'll be the last for the TV series. Will the movie version be a continuation, or a whole new section???

33rd Marine Corps: Ogotai, Advisor, Temujin and so on.

Roy Fokker: M0 type. I don't think we'll see a B sheet... Same for the Aries Turner and Pedro/Marugarita sheets.

History Battle 7 transformation: is it just me, or are the staff mistakenly using a stealth carrier for Gigiru's ship? This is the second time I've noticed it...

Macross Frontier Fleet: C sheet. Vending Machines, cleaning robots, and a whole page devoted to mobile phones!!!

Beam weapons: (Tech 06A) Covers pretty much all - VF use, Destroid use, Fleet use, and even alien (Vajra, Protodevlin) types.

Glossary: MII stuff! Kujou Saori, Guroria (Ship, no picture >.<), Banana-moon love. Sadly, nothing from the games. >.<

Seto - I'd like to see the VF-1AR, too! The only time I saw it was in Mecha Press. Ah... that brings back memories (the mag, not the VF.) Anyhow, the VF-1AR (JR, SR) are pretty much the only cool non-Studio Nue variable fighters.

Don't you mean Millia? The only Marias I know in Macross are Komilia and Barnrose.

Miria.

'tis late. Long day. Not enough sleep. Yadda yadda.

To be honest, when I first saw it, I did think it was Manfureeto Buranndo's (VF-X2), but no such luck.

Miria.

'tis late. Long day. Not enough sleep. Yadda yadda.

To be honest, when I first saw it, I did think it was Manfureeto Buranndo's (VF-X2), but no such luck.

Yeah Manfred Brando's VF-17S has a distinctive pattern. (What is with VF-X2's actor parody names?)

post-9033-1256831073_thumb.jpg

On the otherhand I was wondering if Fokina Maria Barnrose's Valkyrie was a VF-1J variant of the VF-1X Plus.

Edited by RedWolf

Zentraadi Forces Pods: Large Landing Pod: large decent pod, Recovery Craft, and Air Battle [Dogfight] Pod! The last one is the most surprising. About half of the reverse is devoted to it. The other two quarters to the other two.

Wait, they actually gave a minor mecha like the Gnerl decent coverage? O_o

Ranka is the C sheet. Looks like it'll be the last for the TV series. Will the movie version be a continuation, or a whole new section???

If they follow the pattern, they'll make a whole new set of sheets for the movie.

Beam weapons: (Tech 06A) Covers pretty much all - VF use, Destroid use, Fleet use, and even alien (Vajra, Protodevlin) types.

For great justice! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!

Glossary: MII stuff! Kujou Saori, Guroria (Ship, no picture >.<), Banana-moon love. Sadly, nothing from the games. >.<

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit... now I have to actually get off my duff and order that issue! If they actually give the Gloria a size, I will be entirely floored. The lack of decent size data for the Macross II ships has been driving me bonkers for ages now, and they didn't throw me a bone on the Heracles, but I'm hoping they'll at least do the Gloria, since that thing was pretty important.

Seto - I'd like to see the VF-1AR, too! The only time I saw it was in Mecha Press. Ah... that brings back memories (the mag, not the VF.) Anyhow, the VF-1AR (JR, SR) are pretty much the only cool non-Studio Nue variable fighters.

Eh, I rather like the VF-2 series too, but yeah, the VF-1 Valkyrie Refit/Kai is pretty damn awesome. Somewhere I've got a big model magazine spread of a 1/72 VF-1SR in Komilia colors that I think was a conversion kit. I wish that mecha had got better coverage than just a brief color spread in B-Club 79, a brief color spread in Entertainment Bible 51, and an all-too-brief mention in one issue of Mecha Press.

Wait, they actually gave a minor mecha like the Gnerl decent coverage? O_o

I wonder where the source of that name comes from? I've got a bunch of books on SDF:M et al, and have yet to see the Air Battle Pod referred to as anything but 空戦ポッド.

For great justice! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!

It's just one page. So it's rather lean. If we're lucky, we'll get a B sheet.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit... now I have to actually get off my duff and order that issue! If they actually give the Gloria a size, I will be entirely floored. The lack of decent size data for the Macross II ships has been driving me bonkers for ages now, and they didn't throw me a bone on the Heracles, but I'm hoping they'll at least do the Gloria, since that thing was pretty important.

Sadly, it doesn't even give that (mind you, the vast majority of star ships in the glossary don't have dimensions listed in their definition, so it's not a big surprise). It does mention something about being the 12th fleet's flagship.

I wonder where the source of that name comes from? I've got a bunch of books on SDF:M et al, and have yet to see the Air Battle Pod referred to as anything but 空戦ポッド.

It's from the show itself, episode one, about 19 minutes in or so.

Britai and Exsedol are talking about the long-lost reaction weapons, and a voice announces, ジナール射出点です!発射します! Then they show the fighter pods advancing.

Strangely, in the photo-manga (which I checked to make sure I had the line written correctly), the word "Jinaaru" is changed to "Battle Pod." And yeah...I don't have the TIAS books, but I do have Perfect Memory, and "Jinaaru" doesn't appear anywhere in it.