Otaku No Video

Well, out of a desire to ditch my packing of my house for my move, I threw in Otaku No Video again today. Boy, the memories came flooding back. Suddenly it seemed like 1995 again, looking for anything anime related, and paying too much for Gunpura at the comic shop. Back issues of Maison Ikkoku were like gold, and fansub VHS was coveted beyond rubies. I remember my serious friends going in for a SVHS deck, and getting import laserdiscs. Natsukashii!!

Anyway, an old anime fan just felt a twinge of loss and a warmed heart from the old days. So, take it as you will. Record your geeky love of this show or experience in your own anime clubs below.

Ahh memories.

I was born in 1970 and saw this video when I was in college... I was about 22 or 23 if I remember.

My "problem" with it was that it was a straight out documentary consisting mostly of boring interviews that was loosely interspersed with brief (and some would say boring) anime bits. There is not really much to be "entertained" by in it... plus you have to admit it kind of shows the sadness and desperation of the "otaku" lifestyle. I remember really not wanting to be an anime fan after watching it.

Although I kinda sorta agree with the above, I also thought it was funny, and the attention to detail was great...I remember pausing the tape when the camera panned past the plastic model boxes in the otaku headquarters, and mentally ticking off the ones that I also had.

I also remember going to Comicon in '99 and seeing a very short, very plump Darth Maul, and having flashbacks to the Char cosplay. :lol:

i saw this 10 years ago. and i loved it. :) OTAKINNNGGGG!!!

i know i have a copy on VHS. too bad i can't find it anymore. (not to mention, i don't have a working vhs player anymore. haha.)

it's good for a laugh. and a lot of nostalgia. anime is easily available these days, that it's hard to imagine a time when i spend so much time effort and money just trying to find bootlegs. memories, indeed. :)

i saw this 10 years ago. and i loved it. :) OTAKINNNGGGG!!!

i know i have a copy on VHS. too bad i can't find it anymore. (not to mention, i don't have a working vhs player anymore. haha.)

it's good for a laugh. and a lot of nostalgia. anime is easily available these days, that it's hard to imagine a time when i spend so much time effort and money just trying to find bootlegs. memories, indeed. :)

Heady days, indeed...I remember that one of my friends actually collected all 50 episodes of Zeta Gundam, episode by episode...he started in 1985 and had all of them, I believe, by 1990.

A few years later, I just signed up at a Japanese video store in Little Tokyo, rented the tapes, and copied them. My friend was quite livid.

Which one are you guys talking about?

There's two parts to this -- One is "1982" and the other is "1985".

Note that this does not reflect the time they were made, they were both actually produced in the early '90s, but document the evolution of the otaku phenomenon starting at 1982 (Macross!).

There's a sequel?

As far as shows on otaku are concerned, the only ones i am aware of are ONV, akihabara@deep and genshiken.

You should see Welcome to the NHK, but it's certainly not as lighthearted as the series you listed. The guy in that is an EXTREME Otaku...I'm talking never-leave-the-house-because-the-outside-world-is-scary Otaku...

You should see Welcome to the NHK, but it's certainly not as lighthearted as the series you listed. The guy in that is an EXTREME Otaku...I'm talking never-leave-the-house-because-the-outside-world-is-scary Otaku...

Don't forget Densha Otoko the live action drama. A well directed MUST WATCH. ;)

Don't forget Densha Otoko the live action drama. A well directed MUST WATCH. ;)

Ugh, Densha Otoko is such crap.

Part of it is that I can't stand typical BS Japanese dramas, but Densha Otoko was just painful to watch. The main character is such a complete dweeb/fartup by the 2nd episode I was completely tired of him. It has a few good jokes, but as a look at otaku culture it's utterly depressing.

I can never forgive Densha Otoko: the tv series for ruining my beloved ELO. I can never listen to "Twilight" without someone saying "OH! You must love Densha Otoko. Are you an Otaku?"

Edited by Alex

I can never forgive Densha Otoko: the tv series for ruining my beloved ELO. I can never listen to "Twilight" without someone saying "OH! You must love Densha Otoko. Are you an Otaku?"

But that was just a reference to the Daicon opening animation from 1983. Blame them instead.

Actually, no... blame both. B))

Edited by Renato

Ugh, Densha Otoko is such crap.

Part of it is that I can't stand typical BS Japanese dramas, but Densha Otoko was just painful to watch. The main character is such a complete dweeb/fartup by the 2nd episode I was completely tired of him. It has a few good jokes, but as a look at otaku culture it's utterly depressing.

I actually thought it was almost quite accurate :lol: . I especially love the interactions between the 2ch forumers. (Alladdin channel in the show)

Hhahahhahha! Actually Daicon 4 started it but i guess its Densha Otoko that brought it to fame. Wonder how ELO feels about being associated with otaku culture.

Otaku no Video was responsible for half my obsession in the `90s. Good to see a lot of older school fans in here. I`m 30 and I still have 4 or 5 BIG shipping boxes full of VHS fansubs back home. How could you not like the video? Its like the bible for otaku. I seriously wanted to become the Otaking in university. Since then I burned out and cut back to my one true love since childhood, Macross.

But that was just a reference to the Daicon opening animation from 1983. Blame them instead.

Actually, no... blame both. B))

Yeah, I know that it was a reference. But FAR more people know Densha Otoko than Daicon.

But I guess i'll blame them both as you suggest.

Hhahahhahha! Actually Daicon 4 started it but i guess its Densha Otoko that brought it to fame. Wonder how ELO feels about being associated with otaku culture.

They'd have just ONE word to say.........."GROOS!!!!!!"

• 2 weeks later...