Macross Dynamite 7 - Huh?!?!?!

stray

I just finally watched Macross Dynamite 7, and gotta say... I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved Macross 7 as a whole. And to be fair, Dynamite had a few moments. Elma is really cute (albeit a little too Mylene-like), and there's actually some nice moments of synchronicity, with Basara and the band back at City 7, or where the radio show seems to reference the action on screen. Ok, the singing whale was kind of cool too.

Otherwise it just seems like a case of Fire Bomber getting rewritten into another me-too anime script for the sake of marketing new albums. The race of people on Zola sort of looked Zentradi (but weren't, as far as I could tell), they had Valkyries but no real sign of UN Spacy, and don't seem to be in the Macross universe... anywhere else. Not to mention the Fire Bomber/Gamlin scenes not including Basara felt really tacked on, albeit kind of funny. The yuri/date rape scene was kind of bothersome, and I didn't really see the relevance of it, but the running scene afterwards was fun. Overall though it felt like it set the 7 story back instead of progressing it at all... with a really bland story and characters mixed in to boot. What were they thinking?!

I just had to rant on this one I'm so disappointed... seems like Dynamite should go into the same hole as Macross II, but sadly I think it's canon.

I like Dynamite 7. It's fun, a lot of the things that annoyed me in the TV series are gone, the valks are (of course) gorgeous, and I think the music is better.

I especially loved the cardboard stand-up concert scene.

Different strokes...

I wasn't too fond of Macross Dynamite 7 either I must say. It was ok, but really nothing special. The whole "galactic moby dick" story wasn't very excting, and all in all this series is kinda, but hell it's main appeal is just seing Basara again and hearing new Fire Bombers song in beautiful new animation. And yeah the whole Mylene rape thing was kinda disturbing (and where the hell is Akiko anyway ?)

I guess my main problem with Dynamite 7 is that it really didn't bring anything new - I wish it had added some intersting stuff to the universe, or the character ; or at the very least resolved the freaking love triangle. It just leave a somewhat unsatisfying feel, as it you know there were still one chapter to be told in the grand Macross 7 scheme of things that just doesn't seem to come

-Sergorn

I agree with wolfx...if you're expecting a wrap-up to any loose threads left after M7, you'll be disappointed. But as a "Look, Basara's off on another wacky adventure!" story, I think it's well-done. The whole space whale duet could've been completely cringe worthy, but, thankfully, they used one of the best songs Yoko Kanno has ever written.

And like the rest of M7, it's not really a mecha story...it just happens to have mecha in it.

Dynamite 7 was awesome.

Some detractors of M7 would even say so.

You probably were expecting abit much.

I stopped at the scene with the naked little girl bathing with Basara. Sometimes I think anime does go too far, and that was one of the occasions (no matter how "innocent" it was supposed to be, the little girl fetish in Japan is pretty well known).

I first watched Dynamite 7 because it was a short OVA, and I thought it would be good way to "get" Macross 7 proper as I having difficulty with the main series. I have to say, at best, its average with some really dodgy bits.

The Good:

Visuals

Moby dick theme

Assorted lesser known VFs

Opening song

On reflection, seeing Basara getting beaten up, although I didn't consider that a plus at the time

The Bad:

Lolicon fanservice

Yuri rape fanservice and the plotline that spawned it

Basara singing at the whales

No real indication of change following the end of the tv series

Edited by Ork_dreadnought

I agree with wolfx...if you're expecting a wrap-up to any loose threads left after M7, you'll be disappointed. But as a "Look, Basara's off on another wacky adventure!" story, I think it's well-done. The whole space whale duet could've been completely cringe worthy, but, thankfully, they used one of the best songs Yoko Kanno has ever written.

And like the rest of M7, it's not really a mecha story...it just happens to have mecha in it.

Honestly I don't really think the end of Macross 7 really needed much if any wrapping up; I even think they gave the 'triangle' a very solid (if subtle) ending. It just feels like they took a giant step backwards with Dynamite with regards to the ending of 7... and the OVA as a whole just feels really cheap in that the universe it takes place in doesn't really resemble the rest of Macross at all. Yeah, you still kind of had the power of music, and the Valkyrie, and while the idea of space whales and smuggler/poacher types with stolen UNS planes and a new friendly alien race are all cool concepts, the way it all comes together makes it all seem completely disjointed, IMO.

I'm on the fence though regarding the scene at the hot spring... I've been to hot springs in the desert with hippies and their kids and beaches in Europe, so in context it doesn't seem like a big deal. The only context I can see for the Mylene yuri rape scene, however, is to show her as kind of helpless while Basara and Gamlin are gone, which... just doesn't seem in line.

Honestly I don't really think the end of Macross 7 really needed much if any wrapping up; I even think they gave the 'triangle' a very solid (if subtle) ending. It just feels like they took a giant step backwards with Dynamite with regards to the ending of 7... and the OVA as a whole just feels really cheap in that the universe it takes place in doesn't really resemble the rest of Macross at all. Yeah, you still kind of had the power of music, and the Valkyrie, and while the idea of space whales and smuggler/poacher types with stolen UNS planes and a new friendly alien race are all cool concepts, the way it all comes together makes it all seem completely disjointed, IMO.

I'm on the fence though regarding the scene at the hot spring... I've been to hot springs in the desert with hippies and their kids and beaches in Europe, so in context it doesn't seem like a big deal. The only context I can see for the Mylene yuri rape scene, however, is to show her as kind of helpless while Basara and Gamlin are gone, which... just doesn't seem in line.

I'll grant you that the Zolans do kind of seem to come out of nowhere (and the fact that most of them have common English names is a mystery that passeth all understanding...), as do a lot of concepts in D7. But hey, either it works for you or it doesn't.

Me, I'm kind of hoping a Zolan or two shows up in MF, but that doesn't seem likely at this point.

And I totally agree with you about Elma's bath/Mylene's assault. The former didn't feel much different to me than, say, the bath scene in Totoro, whereas the latter was...well, a little sleazier than I would've liked.

The only thing entertaining about Dynamite is the VF-5000 and VA-3 Invader :mellow:

The only thing entertaining about Dynamite is the VF-5000 and VA-3 Invader :mellow:

You sleep with your yammies don't u. :blink:

I rather liked Dynamite 7, for the same reasons Gubaba mentioned. Nothing struck me as sexual about the bath scene, so it never really bothered me. The Mylene thing certainly seems to come out of nowhere, and other than a small lauch as Ray and Veffidas are running down the street, carrying Mylene, it didn't really seem to add much to the story.

The overall story was simple, but nice. I didn't find it to be bland at all. Sure, it was overtly referencing Moby Dick, but I didn't have a problem with that, rather enjoyed that aspect, actually. It was no big epic occurrence in the Macross universe, but it was enjoyable, and gave a nice little glimpse at the way humanity has spread through the galaxy. I thought the Zolans were neat.

I don't know about it being "another me-too anime". It really didn't feel that way to me. It felt like Macross to me. Albiet, a laid back sort of Macross side story, but Macross none-the-less.

I suppose if you don't like it, you don't like it. Lots of people seem to like different aspects of Macross. Dynamite was certainly light on the mecha action, and it certainly was not epic, or even just larger than life, in any way. I can see where that would put people off.

One of the things I liked about Dynamite 7 is the slightly different version of Basara that we get. He seems slightly more at peace in this one and less abrasive than he did in M7

The whole Zolan mystery doesn't bother me too much. Perhaps THEY are Proto-culture :mellow: Although, being marsupials, do the Zolans have pouches? I can't remember.

I've always kinda assumed Dynamite 7 had a different director than the tv series. It feels more like Frontier than Macross 7 did. A lower budget, inconsequential sidestory Frontier, but you know what I mean.

I've always kinda assumed Dynamite 7 had a different director than the tv series. It feels more like Frontier than Macross 7 did. A lower budget, inconsequential sidestory Frontier, but you know what I mean.

Nope, Tetsuro Amino did both the series and D7 (And the M7 movie as well). I'm wondering if perhaps the difference isn't the writer? On the one hand, Tomita was one of the original SDF M writers. On the other hand, he also wrote Macross II...I don't know if he worked on the M7 TV series, though. If he did...well, there goes that theory...

I have not watched this yet. I have, however, watched yuo youtube amv of the Minmey/Basara Angel Voice duet and it is the most beautiful song in the galaxy and their duet is lovely - although the AMV is structured in such a way that DYRL is also used. I always tear up when Minmey chimes in... hopefuly my slow-azz computer will finally end up downloading all of M7 and the Dynamite/Encore stuff by the end of the year (grumble grumble)... I have M7 but it suddenly just shriveled up and died :( ....

Anyways - looking forward to it.

Bomber!

VFTF1

I have not watched this yet. I have, however, watched yuo youtube amv of the Minmey/Basara Angel Voice duet and it is the most beautiful song in the galaxy and their duet is lovely - although the AMV is structured in such a way that DYRL is also used. I always tear up when Minmey chimes in... hopefuly my slow-azz computer will finally end up downloading all of M7 and the Dynamite/Encore stuff by the end of the year (grumble grumble)... I have M7 but it suddenly just shriveled up and died :( ....

Anyways - looking forward to it.

Bomber!

VFTF1

DUET VERSION??? :blink:

Must be a fan creation...I'd like to hear it though, definitely.

You haven't heard this?!?! It's beautiful! :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F3SJItECuwA

I also HIGHLY recommend "Dynamite Explosion" covered by an awesome Heavy Metal band ! These guys are hilarious and they do a GREAT job:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8bOiwyd45I4

Also, there is a FANTASTIC english cover of Submarine Street (I prefer the original, but this is mighty fine!):

And lastly, a moving piano recital of DYRL:

One day I plan to also debute on Youtube to do a Fire Bomber song or play DYRL on the piano. After watching Nekki Basara I have decided that music is my calling - although...I don't know how to play any instruments and people tell me I have a terrible ear for music (I can't hear how bad I sing) - but I do have lots of heart :)

VFTF1

Also, there is a FANTASTIC english cover of Submarine Street (I prefer the original, but this is mighty fine!):

Ugh isn't that from English Fire ? I think it sounds terrible and pretty much ruins the original song... like all the English Fire stuff.

-Sergorn

That seems to be the opinion of the majority of Youtubers - and I agree it sounds very different - but I think it has heart and that's all that matters to me :) Naturally I prefer listening to Yoshiki Sempai, and I imagine the bloke who did this english version of the song does too - he just loves it enough to do it in english :)

VFTF1

That seems to be the opinion of the majority of Youtubers - and I agree it sounds very different - but I think it has heart and that's all that matters to me :) Naturally I prefer listening to Yoshiki Sempai, and I imagine the bloke who did this english version of the song does too - he just loves it enough to do it in english :)

VFTF1

Well as I said it's from the "English Fire" album, which is an official release. Not some fan stuff. I really can't stand that ^_^

-Sergorn

One of the things I liked about Dynamite 7 is the slightly different version of Basara that we get. He seems slightly more at peace in this one and less abrasive than he did in M7

I agree. Basara grew up quite a bit during the course of the series... and he's not trying to crack through the whole military mindset in this one. Just the police this time... :rolleyes:

The whole Zolan mystery doesn't bother me too much. Perhaps THEY are Proto-culture :mellow: Although, being marsupials, do the Zolans have pouches? I can't remember.

If you listen to the radio dramas going on throughout the show, you'll hear that the Zolans do, in fact, have pouches also. I didn't notice one on Elma during the split second we could see her fully naked, but that may be because she's still immature...

Speaking of Dynamite OVAs, I'm watching the Electric Fire 2007 DVD - again :p - Fukuyama-san is singing "New Frontier". :D

I really like the Dynamite OVA music. I think it's a bit closer to Fukuyama-san's Humming Bird sound than the other Macross 7 music.

I have not watched this yet. I have, however, watched yuo youtube amv of the Minmey/Basara Angel Voice duet and it is the most beautiful song in the galaxy and their duet is lovely - although the AMV is structured in such a way that DYRL is also used.

I've seen it. I've favorited it. ^^b

That duet is a very well done fan compilation that mixes the Dynamite OVA version with the version that Mari IIjima did for the Macross Tribute album. Fukuyama-san also did a great version of the original Macross theme on that same album.

And I totally agree with you about Elma's bath/Mylene's assault. The former didn't feel much different to me than, say, the bath scene in Totoro, whereas the latter was...well, a little sleazier than I would've liked.

I agree. I really couldn't see a point in adding that particular Mylene scene. It did nothing to actually add to the story. The only thing I can think is that possibly they were showing that Basara wasn't there to watch over her that time like he had been when Bobby pulled his stunt during the series... but even that's stretching it a bit, eh. <_<

"Elma's bath" wasn't just Elma's bath. It was Elma and Basara and Graham's bath. They were all just as naked for the same reason. People don't generally bathe with their clothes on - just like in the Totoro scene.

By the way, I really loved how the opening credits became more and more detailed each time through. I loved the ending credits too. They seemed to have a lot of fun animating them.

peace

"Elma's bath" wasn't just Elma's bath. It was Elma and Basara and Graham's bath. They were all just as naked for the same reason. People don't generally bathe with their clothes on - just like in the Totoro scene.

But Totoro isn't known for fanservice.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally watched Dynamite 7 and there's just a couple of things I need to get out of the way.

First, what drugs where they on when they were making it? I need some of that.

Second, why do I suddenly want to see a Macross Frontier AMV set to It's a New Frontier?

I was a big fan of D7. The music was great, and Angel Voice is one of my all time favorites. It was indeed Basara on another Zany adventure, but with way higher animation quality.

I think the Mylene date rape scene was way out of place, but heard second hand that it didn't seem as out of the blue if you'd read Mylene Beat or some of the other supplemental M7 material that dealt with Mylene's solo career.

I was a big fan of D7. The music was great, and Angel Voice is one of my all time favorites. It was indeed Basara on another Zany adventure, but with way higher animation quality.

I think the Mylene date rape scene was way out of place, but heard second hand that it didn't seem as out of the blue if you'd read Mylene Beat or some of the other supplemental M7 material that dealt with Mylene's solo career.

I just ordered Mylene Beat...so we'll see if that's right or not...

And yes, Angel Voice...a great Macross song, or THE GREATEST Macross song? No slag on DYRL, An Angel's Paints, Wanna Be an Angel, or Dynamite Explosion, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

I just ordered Mylene Beat...so we'll see if that's right or not...

And yes, Angel Voice...a great Macross song, or THE GREATEST Macross song? No slag on DYRL, An Angel's Paints, Wanna Be an Angel, or Dynamite Explosion, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

Personally though, I prefer my Angel Voice without any whales on backup vocals.

Speaking of which though, is that really Mari Iijima singing with Fukuyama in this version?

Edited by d3v

Personally though, I prefer my Angel Voice without any whales on backup vocals.

Speaking of which though, is that really Mari Iijima singing with Fukuyama in this version?

Agreed. (btw, I've always wondered what the hell the Space Whale did to Basara's VF-19...spit blood on it...? That scene was weird.)

And I think that's probably a fan-edit duet...Mari did an astonishingly wonderful cover of the song for "Macross the Tribute," and someone just slapped 'em together...just like "Runner" duet from FB2012.

Agreed. (btw, I've always wondered what the hell the Space Whale did to Basara's VF-19...spit blood on it...? That scene was weird.)

I actually just pointed that out to Mr. March this morning (the red was attributed to burning from the reaction warhead at the M3). It seems a whole lot of blood, or some reddish fluid was spewed out of the whale after the warhead hit.

I stopped at the scene with the naked little girl bathing with Basara. Sometimes I think anime does go too far, and that was one of the occasions (no matter how "innocent" it was supposed to be, the little girl fetish in Japan is pretty well known).

And yet Macross Frontier has at least one retarded "pervert" joke every episode.

Oh man, he touched her boob and she got angry. Hilarious!

Oh man his phone rang and she got turned on. Hilarious!

And yet Macross Frontier has at least one retarded "pervert" joke every episode.

Oh man, he touched her boob and she got angry. Hilarious!

Oh man his phone rang and she got turned on. Hilarious!

Exactly. If it wasn't for the rape and fanservice, I'd have no problem with D7. As it is, it's a disappointment, as it ruins an almost perfect show. With Frontier, though, it seems like EVERY EPISODE is a Dynamite 7.

What really annoyed me about Dynamite 7 was that it didn't show any resolution to any of the character relations from 7.

Mylene is still going after (or in this case literally chasing) Basara and Gamlin.

And we don't even get a glimpse of what happened to Max and Milia.